1-8-21 OKC Thunder @ NY Knicks 6:30 PM CST

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Re: 1-8-21 OKC Thunder @ NY Knicks 6:30 PM CST 

Post#21 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:09 am

There definitely is a spent quality to Horford at this point isn't there. I'm not saying he is bad, but this is very much not at all like Chris Paul last year when he showed out and proved to everyone he was still all star caliber. Can definitely see why Philly wanted him gone.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#22 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:15 am

What happened to Baze? He looked terribad tonight. Someone party in NYC last night?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#23 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:02 am

Y'all gotta chill
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:20 am

spearsy23 wrote:Y'all gotta chill

I'm nothing if not chill. Our last in the league offense will likely carry us to a sufficiently high lottery pick one way or another.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#25 » by bbms » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:20 am

Good game by SGA. This is the SGA we need to see more often.

Geez, I got happy when Poku hit that pull-up midrange jumper and that three from way beyond the arc (in the third quarter, I believe). Sure, those are probably inefficient shots for most players not named Steph Curry, but I think he needs that to build his confidence.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#26 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:14 am

Old Man Game wrote:What happened to Baze? He looked terribad tonight. Someone party in NYC last night?

He and Dort both struggled. Bazley has gotten a lot better but on offense he still sometimes looks like Jerami Grant did his first year.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
bbms
Analyst

Post#27 » by bbms » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:33 am

spearsy23 wrote:Our offense is effing terrible. Not the execution, the actual offense.

I agree. It feels like we can't spend a half without having a 24 seconds violation.

I hope this is more of an indication of lack of time and preparation, and less of an indication of incompetence by Mike D.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:45 am

We're 9th in passes made and 29th in assists and 20th in potential assists. Last year we were 18th in passes made, 3rd in assists and 29th in potential assists.

Last year we jumped from 29th to 18th. We didn't become the warriors but guys passed with a puprose. To me this shows that are guys this year are unselfish but inexperienced. They are passing but not really sure what they are looking for .We don't hit shots and we aren't getting good shots.

Hill and Horford are good enough shooters but they can't create their own offense like Gallo, Cp3 and Dennis. Shai is doing decent at running the offense but he obviously isn't cp3. I think the issues are personnel related. I like what we are trying to do but our players suck. Ball movement is great but we need could use some shot creators.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#29 » by jake_swivel » Sat Jan 9, 2021 12:20 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Y'all gotta chill

spearsy23
RealGM

Post#30 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:42 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:We're 9th in passes made and 29th in assists and 20th in potential assists. Last year we were 18th in passes made, 3rd in assists and 29th in potential assists.

Last year we jumped from 29th to 18th. We didn't become the warriors but guys passed with a puprose. To me this shows that are guys this year are unselfish but inexperienced. They are passing but not really sure what they are looking for .We don't hit shots and we aren't getting good shots.

Hill and Horford are good enough shooters but they can't create their own offense like Gallo, Cp3 and Dennis. Shai is doing decent at running the offense but he obviously isn't cp3. I think the issues are personnel related. I like what we are trying to do but our players suck. Ball movement is great but we need could use some shot creators.

Offense looks pretty well the same to me. passing comes on the perimeter in ways that don't really create an advantage. Not enough player movement away from ball, all movement leads to guys coming back to the ball before catching. Guys this year aren't skilled enough to break down defenses from a standstill.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:43 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:We're 9th in passes made and 29th in assists and 20th in potential assists. Last year we were 18th in passes made, 3rd in assists and 29th in potential assists.

Is the "potential assists" thing a measure of unguarded shots or how does that work? (Pass immediately before shot attempt?)

Feels like we pass a lot aimlessly. There are times a pass goes to a guy and the guy in turn hesitates just an instant, which is all it takes for the defense to recover. I think this is more a not good enough players than a not good enough offensive design thing at the moment.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#32 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:47 pm

Old Man Game wrote:There definitely is a spent quality to Horford at this point isn't there. I'm not saying he is bad, but this is very much not at all like Chris Paul last year when he showed out and proved to everyone he was still all star caliber. Can definitely see why Philly wanted him gone.

I've been pretty surprised by how bad he looks, I was hoping it was just disinterest from playing on a bad team, but I think he's just done.
bbms
Analyst

Post#33 » by bbms » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:51 pm

spearsy23 wrote:

Offense looks pretty well the same to me. passing comes on the perimeter in ways that don't really create an advantage. Not enough player movement away from ball, all movement leads to guys coming back to the ball before catching. Guys this year aren't skilled enough to break down defenses from a standstill.

I agree.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:56 pm

Old Man Game wrote:

Is the "potential assists" thing a measure of unguarded shots or how does that work? (Pass immediately before shot attempt?)

Feels like we pass a lot aimlessly. There are times a pass goes to a guy and the guy in turn hesitates just an instant, which is all it takes for the defense to recover. I think this is more a not good enough players than a not good enough offensive design thing at the moment.

My understanding is it is a pass that leads to a shot, foul, or turnover. I think you have to take it with a grain of salt. If Shai sets up Horford for a wide open three but the pass is a little off, allowing the defender to recover, it could look like its the shooter's fault.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder