Re: Game 10: Clips (6-3) @ Dubs (4-4) FRIDAY 7PM PST—ESPN only 

Post#61 » by MartinRiggs » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:46 am

Another 22 points lead blown. :noway:
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#62 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:46 am

Max Headrom wrote:Don't know if I'd consider a loss for the 9th game of the season a bad loss, a loss indeed but wouldn't say bad

Are we really doing this again? People did the same "it's only been x games" routine last season to downplay the same blatant red flags.

Tonight was absolutely a bad loss. It proves once again that this is the same team that blew it against Denver. Really no reason to hope for better results.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,186

Post#63 » by Max Headrom » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:47 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:Don't know if I'd consider a loss for the 9th game of the season a bad loss, a loss indeed but wouldn't say bad

Are we really doing this again? People did the same "it's only been x games" routine last season to downplay the same blatant red flags.

Tonight was absolutely a bad loss. It proves once again that this is the same team that blew it against Denver. Really no reason to hope for better results.

As much as you get on another poster you go back and forth with about being negative, you're no better with your doom and gloom after every loss...lol
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#64 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:47 am

I was listening to the Zach Lowe podcast while watching this game. One stat which was surprising was that Clippers were #3 on offense but only #20 on defense.

Clippers came out this game and the last game suffocating on defense. I recall 3 Clippers being around Curry a few times in the first half. There was one play where PG13 got picked as primary defender and then Curry went and tried a step-back 3 on Ibaka. But PG13 didn't switch to anyone else, he just kept pursuing Curry and blocked it from behind.

I wonder if it's only the backups who can't maintain defensive intensity. Some bad matchups, Paschall took Zubac to the rack repeatedly. But in the late third and then 4th quarters, the Clippers starters didn't have the same defensive intensity. Then when they trapped Curry, he found guys for wide open looks from 3 or a couple of times DRaymond going down the lane either to pass or get layups.

Clippers definitely have to figure out something. They blew several big leads in the bubble playoffs, then almost lost to Phoenix a couple of games ago after having a huge lead. This game they did blow a 22-point lead.

I thought PG13 was the best Clippers player in these two games, as he owned most of his matchups. Wiggins actually defended Kawhi respectably, made him take contested shots, which is the most you can ask. In 2019 Finals, Warriors had no answer for Kawhi at all, with KD and Klay out. Even when Klay was playing, Kawhi just took him into the lane and got easy looks or drew fouls over and over again. I know Clippers have to keep both Kawhi and PG13 happy but in these games vs. Warriors, I would have fed PG13 more.

Though they both are great at creating their own shots, they would obviously be better if there was another playmaker who could create them good looks so that they don't have to work as hard creating their own shots.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#65 » by TheNewEra » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:51 am

Time to swap Morris and Batum
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#66 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:54 am

This team gave up a 52-20 run in the last 15 minutes. For any other team, it would be one of the most shocking games of the season. For the Clippers, it's another day ending in "y."

Now, we can harp on the roster all we want - and I am - but it's also a culture issue at this point. And this team simply didn't do enough to change the culture that led to the Denver meltdown. We're still "that" team the rest of the league circles on their calendars because they're never truly out of the game. Sad, but true.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#67 » by TheNewEra » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:02 am

MartinToVaught wrote:

We do have a key player returning from injury though. You never want to lose this one and we need a shake up but we can improve.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#68 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:04 am

TheNewEra wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

We do have a key player returning from injury though. You never want to lose this one and we need a shake up but we can improve.

Injuries were a constant excuse last season too. But when we had our full roster in the playoffs, the same bad habits showed up. Let's face it, the identity of this team is choking.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#69 » by TheNewEra » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:25 am

Well on to the next one
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#70 » by TheNewEra » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:27 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Are we really doing this again? People did the same "it's only been x games" routine last season to downplay the same blatant red flags.

Injuries were a constant excuse last season too. But when we had our full roster in the playoffs, the same bad habits showed up. Let's face it, the identity of this team is choking.

Well we are not undersized like last year and I think the point guard stuff is handled by the deadline
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#71 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:35 am

TheNewEra wrote:Well we are not undersized like last year and I think the point guard stuff is handled by the deadline

One would hope. But Trez had to be traded by the deadline last season - not hindsight talking, I was saying this at the time - and that didn't happen. I don't have much faith left in this front office when they've made so many big mistakes lately.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#72 » by NickP » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:38 am

MartinToVaught wrote:

They adjusted this game and gave Steph enough daylight. Our guys got cold. There was still decent ball movement but we just couldn't buy a shot.
Momentum was with the warriors.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#73 » by Captain Ballmer » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:40 am

wco81 wrote:I was listening to the Zach Lowe podcast while watching this game. One stat which was surprising was that Clippers were #3 on offense but only #20 on defense.

Clippers came out this game and the last game suffocating on defense. I recall 3 Clippers being around Curry a few times in the first half. There was one play where PG13 got picked as primary defender and then Curry went and tried a step-back 3 on Ibaka. But PG13 didn't switch to anyone else, he just kept pursuing Curry and blocked it from behind.

I wonder if it's only the backups who can't maintain defensive intensity. Some bad matchups, Paschall took Zubac to the rack repeatedly. But in the late third and then 4th quarters, the Clippers starters didn't have the same defensive intensity. Then when they trapped Curry, he found guys for wide open looks from 3 or a couple of times DRaymond going down the lane either to pass or get layups.

Clippers definitely have to figure out something. They blew several big leads in the bubble playoffs, then almost lost to Phoenix a couple of games ago after having a huge lead. This game they did blow a 22-point lead.

I thought PG13 was the best Clippers player in these two games, as he owned most of his matchups. Wiggins actually defended Kawhi respectably, made him take contested shots, which is the most you can ask. In 2019 Finals, Warriors had no answer for Kawhi at all, with KD and Klay out. Even when Klay was playing, Kawhi just took him into the lane and got easy looks or drew fouls over and over again. I know Clippers have to keep both Kawhi and PG13 happy but in these games vs. Warriors, I would have fed PG13 more.

Though they both are great at creating their own shots, they would obviously be better if there was another playmaker who could create them good looks so that they don't have to work as hard creating their own shots.

It's couaching issue on our side. Kerr outplayed Lue big time today in rematch. These two games were looked like a playoff series to me and should have evaluated like one.

We have a great defensive 5 starting to game with few weaknesses. Warriors on the other side has only one option to win. Unleash Curry.

First game was unsuccesfull mainly our success on D. But secong game Kerr took Wiseman-Oubre-Wiggins from game early and spread the floor with shooters. Pascall-Baze-Wanamaker(Mulder)-Lee-Curry five worked with shooting in the second half especially 3rd in the quarter with our weaker defensive talent. Then Curry haven't exited find more extra room in the 4th quarter even after our Defensive team return to game. Curry Played entire 3rd and first 2 minutes of 4th qurter, damage was done and our Clipper ship taking water on the ocean. That's on Kerr to adjust and find a way to get Curry unleash on rematch.

On Lue's side, we couldn't close the game obviously. When Kerr took Dray-Wise-Oubre-Wiggins out we suddenly stop the ball movement and go iso against smaller guys trying to get mismatch instead of expoiting the paint. We couldn't take advantage on that, keep pounding the ball for like 10 seconds of game time to give your D less challange. You hide Curry well and mismatched hasn't occured. No quick reads, pass, movement, smart plays. We used high BBIQ guys Kennard and Batum like a catch and Shooters while they can simply provide much morethan that. Especially the crunch times Kawhi&PG&Morris can't save their lives with in-an-out pass, performing lousy chucking. When shoots are in we win otherwise it's ugly. No adjustment presented by Lue and Lou Williams-Marcus Morris-Kawhi hero ball was in the showcase.

It's not Lou-Kennard-Morris-Zubac faults to lead evaporate that quickly, there was no talent differency to cause that. It was just like Denver series we caught unprepared and outcoached by Kerr. We have a lot to solve, Looks like coaching still a mess.

Good win for you guys, this win should pump some confidence on your young guys.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,670

Post#74 » by KL2 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:45 am

Lue is only worried about staggering Leonard and George when he needs to do it with Ibaka (Zu) and Batum (Morris) too.

They need to get rid of Lou ASAP. We’ve seen what switching out Trezz has done for us. Jackson would be ideal too but I don’t see any takers for him.

Kennard shows flashes of brilliance and you understand why the Clippers paid him early. Now if only he’d keep that confidence at all times.

Why not try Oturu? Especially on nights when Zu is struggling. High energy guy, defends/rebounds, and has a jump shot. He’s a rookie, there will be mistakes, but that second unit could use some energy. Everyone else has gotten a shot but him.
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#75 » by NickP » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:01 am

Lou Williams needs to go. It seems he's throwing games away. Bad shot selection, bad passing by dribbling into a crowd and then horrible TOs.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#76 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:04 am

NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

They adjusted this game and gave Steph enough daylight. Our guys got cold. There was still decent ball movement but we just couldn't buy a shot.

the momentum seemed to shift on the reversal of the call in the 3rd quarter from a Bazemore foul to a Zubac illegal screen. Not a fan of these challenges. It may have been the right reversal, but it was questionable.

This game was very upsetting to watch. It reminded me way too much of the Denver collapse- couldn't make a shot, guys playing iso ball, and the other team scoring at will. Hopefully they can shake it off on Sunday
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#77 » by esqtvd » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:11 am

KL2 wrote:Lue effed us this game. He needed to bench Lou, Morris, and Zu faster.

yo bro, with all due respect--

PG 39 minutes
Kawhi 34 minutes with a mask on his head
Ibaka & Batum 30 minutes each
Beverley 28

Ty gave the rest their burn. In a WON game.

Morris 18 minutes [1-7] MINUS-20
Zubac 17 minutes [1-4, 3 TOs] MINUS-26
Kennard 18 minutes MINUS-22
Lou [poor fellow :-? ] 16 minutes MINUS-25

He needed to bench Lou, Morris, and Zu faster.

He would have, if he could have. I'm not a Ty fan yet but this one is not on his head. Our 4th game in 6 nights. And it's only Game 10.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#78 » by NickP » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:15 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
NickP wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Are we really doing this again? People did the same "it's only been x games" routine last season to downplay the same blatant red flags.

the momentum seemed to shift on the reversal of the call in the 3rd quarter from a Bazemore foul to a Zubac illegal screen. Not a fan of these challenges. It may have been the right reversal, but it was questionable.

This game was very upsetting to watch. It reminded me way too much of the Denver collapse- couldn't make a shot, guys playing iso ball, and the other team scoring at will. Hopefully they can shake it off on Sunday

Bingo.
The Bazemore reversal was the beginning of our misfortunes. We never recovered.
NickP
Bench Warmer

Post#79 » by NickP » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:18 am

esqtvd wrote:
KL2 wrote:Lue effed us this game. He needed to bench Lou, Morris, and Zu faster.

yo bro, with all due respect--

PG 39 minutes
Kawhi 34 minutes with a mask on his head
Ibaka & Batum 30 minutes each
Beverley 28

Ty gave the rest their burn. In a WON game.

Morris 18 minutes [1-7] MINUS-20
Zubac 17 minutes [1-4, 3 TOs] MINUS-26
Kennard 18 minutes MINUS-22
Lou [poor fellow :-? ] 16 minutes MINUS-25

He needed to bench Lou, Morris, and Zu faster.

He would have, if he could have. I'm not a Ty fan yet but this one is not on his head. Our 4th game in 6 nights. And it's only Game 10.

Morris seemed tentative. Zu is just not the same off the bench.There's no pick and roll going on. Maybe Batum off the bench adds much needed BB iq. Lou can then play off the ball.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#80 » by esqtvd » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:30 am

good game thread

props to the Dubs--Steph and Draymond are championship-caliber players
they beat our ass tonight
on national TV

they play with pride

put either of them on the Clippers and it's game over
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?