ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle: Should we pick up his 2021-2 Team option

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,931

Re: Julius Randle: Should we pick up his 2021-2 Team option 

Post#241 » by TheGreenArrow » Sat Jan 9, 2021 2:48 pm

I love the way he’s playing but we all have to consider the fact that this is somewhat of a contract year for Randle.

I’m selling high folks I’m selling high!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#242 » by DrCoach » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:56 pm

Keep him and get another shooter to go with quickley
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,662

Post#243 » by nedleeds » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:09 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:I love the way he’s playing but we all have to consider the fact that this is somewhat of a contract year for Randle.

He's a new age Al Jefferson who puts up numbers and rolls into the 8th - 10th seed if he's your 1st, 2nd or 3rd best player. Dump him for anything resembling 1st round picks and young talent.

This is where the FO can fall on the sword for the coach publicly. Which Mills never did because he sucked horse balls. Come out and talk about moving Randle to get him in a playoff contender, yadda, yadda. Then if the wins dip a little, which I don't think they will by the trade deadline Thibs has cover for losing a few more and seeing if our **** lottery pick PF can play.

Before the season and last year I couldn't find any opposing team who would even give expiring matching for Randle on the T&T board. Now I think you could get a pick and maybe more if you take on a Dwight Powell type turd contract. What playoff team that would be is unclear, it might take an injury to get a positive Randle trade. His salary next year if a team picks it up is $19 million, and most GMs I think will consider that bad to fine if you get his current per 36 on a good team.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Nbabrothers
Senior
And1: 203

Post#244 » by Nbabrothers » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:19 pm

nedleeds wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:I love the way he’s playing but we all have to consider the fact that this is somewhat of a contract year for Randle.

He's a new age Al Jefferson who puts up numbers and rolls into the 8th - 10th seed if he's your 1st, 2nd or 3rd best player. Dump him for anything resembling 1st round picks and young talent.

This is where the FO can fall on the sword for the coach publicly. Which Mills never did because he sucked horse balls. Come out and talk about moving Randle to get him in a playoff contender, yadda, yadda. Then if the wins dip a little, which I don't think they will by the trade deadline Thibs has cover for losing a few more and seeing if our **** lottery pick PF can play.

Before the season and last year I couldn't find any opposing team who would even give expiring matching for Randle on the T&T board. Now I think you could get a pick and maybe more if you take on a Dwight Powell type turd contract. What playoff team that would be is unclear, it might take an injury to get a positive Randle trade. His salary next year if a team picks it up is $19 million, and most GMs I think will consider that bad to fine if you get his current per 36 on a good team.

You can’t trade Randle when he is just getting into his prime years. He is 26 years old only! Prime years are 28-30 so he is only going to get better. If he work on his three point shooting this off season he will be a star player. He currently is an all star with his current numbers. Picking up his option will be a bargain for the Knicks. That’s a no brainer.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#245 » by nedleeds » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:49 pm

Nbabrothers wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

You can’t trade Randle when he is just getting into his prime years. He is 26 years old only! Prime years are 28-30 so he is only going to get better. If he work on his three point shooting this off season he will be a star player. He currently is an all star with his current numbers. Picking up his option will be a bargain for the Knicks. That’s a no brainer.

KP was a far younger "star player" with a massively higher ceiling, Randle has nothing close to elite defensive potential playing the 4 and at this point he's not going to be an 36%+ shooter he had some hot games but too many 0-5's to make me think it's not just variance. He got in great shape for a contract year, Thibs will eventually run him into the dirt. I'd trade him and focus on a core of 20-24 year olds for the next few years. Picking up the option and then extending a poor shooting power forward who plays bad to average defense for a 4-5 year deal is insane.

I'll take the 5 years of evidence over the 6 good games this year. Again he's playing as good as he'll ever play and we're .500.

Again the bigger issue is finding a team that wants him. You need a team with a 5 that can shoot 3s and protect the rim, and presumably wants to get better and thinks Randle helps with winning. What team actually checks those boxes?
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,994

Post#246 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:56 pm

nedleeds wrote:
Nbabrothers wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

KP was a far younger "star player" with a massively higher ceiling, Randle has nothing close to elite defensive potential playing the 4 and at this point he's not going to be an 36%+ shooter he had some hot games but too many 0-5's to make me think it's not just variance. He got in great shape for a contract year, Thibs will eventually run him into the dirt. I'd trade him and focus on a core of 20-24 year olds for the next few years. Picking up the option and then extending a poor shooting power forward who plays bad to average defense for a 4-5 year deal is insane.

I'll take the 5 years of evidence over the 6 good games this year. Again he's playing as good as he'll ever play and we're .500.

KP’s ceiling isn’t that high. He’s just a injury prone 7 footer who can hit jumpers inefficiently. Randle’s defense has been solid for the most part (except when he plays the 5). KP isn’t “far younger” either. He’s only a year younger than Randle, and gets his ass kicked by him every single time :lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,808

Post#247 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:56 pm

Picking up that option is an obvious no brainer by now. I wouldn't necessarily call him a keeper though...
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,367

Post#248 » by god shammgod » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:00 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:Picking up that option is an obvious no brainer by now. I wouldn't necessarily call him a keeper though...

if he can maintain this all year and next, then you can think about his next deal
Nbabrothers
Senior
And1: 203

Post#249 » by Nbabrothers » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:05 pm

god shammgod wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:Picking up that option is an obvious no brainer by now. I wouldn't necessarily call him a keeper though...

if he can maintain this all year and next, then you can think about his next deal

That’s the key and it amazes me when during the game I hear that randles already got 9 rebounds and six assists and it’s the third quarter.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,808

Post#250 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:35 pm

god shammgod wrote:

Yeah that's right and I'm happy for him. I'm still concerned about the 5 turnovers and the defense.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#251 » by nedleeds » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:12 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
Nbabrothers wrote:You can’t trade Randle when he is just getting into his prime years. He is 26 years old only! Prime years are 28-30 so he is only going to get better. If he work on his three point shooting this off season he will be a star player. He currently is an all star with his current numbers. Picking up his option will be a bargain for the Knicks. That’s a no brainer.

KP’s ceiling isn’t that high. He’s just a injury prone 7 footer who can hit jumpers inefficiently. Randle’s defense has been solid for the most part (except when he plays the 5). KP isn’t “far younger” either. He’s only a year younger than Randle, and gets his ass kicked by him every single time :lol:

I wasn't comparing KP, just pointing he got traded despite all the same criteria (and actually making an ASG). KP is a superior player than Randle at everything except staying healthy.

"You can't trade Randle" was the guys point and that's completely absurd IMO. Randle's random 3 making is totally random, those games he went 0-5, 0-5, 0-4 were full of uncontested wide open line up the seams 3's. I'd trade him for anything resembling a 1st rounder or a little more if we're taking back a terrible deal.

But again no GM in the league is fooled. The longer we wait the more apparent his flaws will be. No winning team wants him anyway so the trade arguments are moot.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#252 » by Jimmit79 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:30 am

I would trade Randle he doesn't fit with Mitch at all plus you have to play Obi and see if he's good or not. Knicks are not ready they need to tank they did horrible job of drafting Frank and Knox also traded there best asset for dsjr and non lottery picks they are still at starting line it sucks but they're going to be at bottom for a long time.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#253 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:14 am

nedleeds wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

I wasn't comparing KP, just pointing he got traded despite all the same criteria (and actually making an ASG). KP is a superior player than Randle at everything except staying healthy.

"You can't trade Randle" was the guys point and that's completely absurd IMO. Randle's random 3 making is totally random, those games he went 0-5, 0-5, 0-4 were full of uncontested wide open line up the seams 3's. I'd trade him for anything resembling a 1st rounder or a little more if we're taking back a terrible deal.

But again no GM in the league is fooled. The longer we wait the more apparent his flaws will be. No winning team wants him anyway so the trade arguments are moot.

Only thing KP is superior in is chucking up jumpers and blocking shots. Randle is better than him in everything else. I bet no team would even trade for KP considering how inefficient he is and how he’s always hurt. That contract looks awful

Will just have to agree to disagree
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
ohboy109
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#254 » by ohboy109 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:05 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Dave DaButcher wrote:Zach Lowe is a Randle believer.

Spoiler:
We have had lean times atop Julius Randle Hill. Even some true believers considered leaving last season, when Randle melted on defense and drove over and over into walls of defenders like a windup toy stuck in forward gear.

But the few, the brave, stayed and foraged. We told ourselves: It is not his fault the Knicks built a team without shooting. Against almost all evidence, we chanted: One day, he will put it together.

And we are a cautious lot today, even as Randle rampages from baseline to baseline for the 2-3 New York Knicks, coming off easy wins over the Milwaukee Bucks (yup!) and the previously undefeated Cleveland Cavaliers and their Sexland backcourt. Randle -- averaging 23 points, 10 rebounds, and seven assists -- is 9-of-16 from deep and 8-of-14 on long 2s. We know that won't sustain; the comedown started in New York's blowout loss to the Toronto Raptors Thursday. Atop the hill, we drink deeply from the chalice of analytics.

But this is the Randle we envisioned -- the one we knew would come one day: grabbing boards, rushing out in transition, and making the smart and easy decisions.

Not every highlight has come with Randle straddling the line between fast and out of control. Watch him download that he has a mismatch in semi-transition, accelerate into an attack of Darius Garland, and then slip a beauty to Mitchell Robinson -- the correct, simple read.

Randle has assisted on 34% of New York's baskets while on the floor, a mark typical of a point guard -- fitting, as Randle acts as co-point guard of sorts with New York's starters and shoulders more ballhandling responsibility when Frank Ntilikina replaces Elfrid Payton. The Knicks get out in transition much more with Randle on the floor, per Cleaning The Glass. He looks trimmer, and more explosive -- quicker from zero to 60. That has helped on defense, too.

Hard times will come. The Knicks rank 28th in points per possession. They still don't have much shooting, or a reliable point guard -- ingredients that would make life easier for RJ Barrett. Only four teams generate a lower share of attempts from deep. Their defense -- ninth in points allowed per possession -- is due for regression. New York has given up the third-most shots at the rim, and opponents have hit just 27% from deep.

But New York under Tom Thibodeau looks more coherent. The Knicks are moving more, cutting harder, playing with some organized purpose. And so on this day heralding the start of 2021, we uncork the finest champagne atop Julius Randle Hill.

this thibs randle we're seeing now is a keeper. you can say you've got star #1 if he keeps this up.

and you could also say the tim hardaway-ish gamble paid off in that he can play his deal into a bargain for the knicks. still an insane risk to take in the first place, but could become a feather in perry's cap.

You kidding me u trade him immediately and sell high he a stupid basketball player with talent and cant defend good riddance
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,075

Post#255 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:21 pm

ohboy109 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Dave DaButcher wrote:Zach Lowe is a Randle believer.

Spoiler:
We have had lean times atop Julius Randle Hill. Even some true believers considered leaving last season, when Randle melted on defense and drove over and over into walls of defenders like a windup toy stuck in forward gear.

But the few, the brave, stayed and foraged. We told ourselves: It is not his fault the Knicks built a team without shooting. Against almost all evidence, we chanted: One day, he will put it together.

And we are a cautious lot today, even as Randle rampages from baseline to baseline for the 2-3 New York Knicks, coming off easy wins over the Milwaukee Bucks (yup!) and the previously undefeated Cleveland Cavaliers and their Sexland backcourt. Randle -- averaging 23 points, 10 rebounds, and seven assists -- is 9-of-16 from deep and 8-of-14 on long 2s. We know that won't sustain; the comedown started in New York's blowout loss to the Toronto Raptors Thursday. Atop the hill, we drink deeply from the chalice of analytics.

But this is the Randle we envisioned -- the one we knew would come one day: grabbing boards, rushing out in transition, and making the smart and easy decisions.

Not every highlight has come with Randle straddling the line between fast and out of control. Watch him download that he has a mismatch in semi-transition, accelerate into an attack of Darius Garland, and then slip a beauty to Mitchell Robinson -- the correct, simple read.

Randle has assisted on 34% of New York's baskets while on the floor, a mark typical of a point guard -- fitting, as Randle acts as co-point guard of sorts with New York's starters and shoulders more ballhandling responsibility when Frank Ntilikina replaces Elfrid Payton. The Knicks get out in transition much more with Randle on the floor, per Cleaning The Glass. He looks trimmer, and more explosive -- quicker from zero to 60. That has helped on defense, too.

Hard times will come. The Knicks rank 28th in points per possession. They still don't have much shooting, or a reliable point guard -- ingredients that would make life easier for RJ Barrett. Only four teams generate a lower share of attempts from deep. Their defense -- ninth in points allowed per possession -- is due for regression. New York has given up the third-most shots at the rim, and opponents have hit just 27% from deep.

But New York under Tom Thibodeau looks more coherent. The Knicks are moving more, cutting harder, playing with some organized purpose. And so on this day heralding the start of 2021, we uncork the finest champagne atop Julius Randle Hill.

this thibs randle we're seeing now is a keeper. you can say you've got star #1 if he keeps this up.

and you could also say the tim hardaway-ish gamble paid off in that he can play his deal into a bargain for the knicks. still an insane risk to take in the first place, but could become a feather in perry's cap.

You kidding me u trade him immediately and sell high he a stupid basketball player with talent and cant defend good riddance

And you're going to replace him with whom? He's the biggest reason the Knicks are 7-8 and actually looking respectable. You expecting another big name FA to come once the Knicks get rid of their best player? Are you expecting them to tank again? When does it actually end? What is the plan? Or are you like Mills and Perry? Plan? Who needs a plan? Just wing it!
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#256 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:26 pm

Read on Twitter
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,075

Post#257 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:05 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

If the Knicks opt out of Randle's contract the way he's playing you'd have to think what agents (forget other players) will be thinking when it comes to dealing with the Knicks. I mean just think about it. I'm an agent. I'm thinking about bringing my player to NY to play. The Knicks offer a contract that includes an option. I look at what they did with a guy like Randle and his option. What am I going to think as far as being ok with an option? Am I going to be ok with it or am I going to play hardball? Or, am I just going to say "you know what, the Knicks front office is still doing stupid things, let's get you signed with some other team." If Randle continues to play like he's playing, the Knicks need to do the right thing and not opt out of his contract for next season...unless you know multiple someone's much better are coming FOR SURE (not cause Tommy Beer or the Talking Clam said so).
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#258 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:17 am

moocow007 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

If the Knicks opt out of Randle's contract the way he's playing you'd have to think what agents (forget other players) will be thinking when it comes to dealing with the Knicks. I mean just think about it. I'm an agent. I'm thinking about bringing my player to NY to play. The Knicks offer a contract that includes an option. I look at what they did with a guy like Randle and his option. What am I going to think as far as being ok with an option? Am I going to be ok with it or am I going to play hardball? Or, am I just going to say "you know what, the Knicks front office is still doing stupid things, let's get you signed with some other team." If Randle continues to play like he's playing, the Knicks need to do the right thing and not opt out of his contract for next season...unless you know multiple someone's much better are coming FOR SURE (not cause Tommy Beer or the Talking Clam said so).

Facts! It’s only right to bring him back. Good to see you moo
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#259 » by NYKAL » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:15 pm

I'm shocked to be saying this but, with age (still young) and the effect of having a Great coach for the 1st time in his career, we're seeing a guy who's "gets" it, is a leader by actions if not word. A guy that is "still" scratching the surface of how good he can be and seems introspective enough to see what was wrong with his game and fit and fix what was wrong. That alone had impressed the **** out of me.

If we move Randle, it HAS to be for proper value because, I see and Allstar on the floor who's game will only contribute to wins. His passing has made our PG's lack of floor visions less damaging to the teams success. I'm not in any hurry to see him moved
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,866

Post#260 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:22 pm

NYKAL wrote:I'm shocked to be saying this but, with age (still young) and the effect of having a Great coach for the 1st time in his career, we're seeing a guy who's "gets" it, is a leader by actions if not word. A guy that is "still" scratching the surface of how good he can be and seems introspective enough to see what was wrong with his game and fit and fix what was wrong. That alone had impressed the **** out of me.

If we move Randle, it HAS to be for proper value because, I see and Allstar on the floor who's game will only contribute to wins. His passing has made our PG's lack of floor visions less damaging to the teams success. I'm not in any hurry to see him moved

yeah. these 15 games have completely changed my opinion of julius randle. few players eventually "get it." but it looks like he finally does. he's showing what stars and winners are made of. and it's not the stats. it's his whole approach to the game. color me mighty impressed, because i didn't think it was a great idea to get him from onset.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.

Return to New York Knicks