Game 9: MEM vs BKN

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Game 9: MEM vs BKN 

Post#1 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 12:34 am

I guess it is happening. No Kyrie or KD so let's see what our guys can do.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Re: Game 9: MEM vs BKN 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:18 am

I thought the Grizz were going to give this one a way there for a while. Glad we were able to come up big when we needed to at the end (even though it hurts our draft pick ha).
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:46 am

VCfor3 wrote:I thought the Grizz were going to give this one a way there for a while. Glad we were able to come up big when we needed to at the end (even though it hurts our draft pick ha).

Nets trying to **** up our tank, 2nd game with no Irving or Durant. Jonas out 2nd half, Allen doesn't come in till the final 3 mins.

Down 22, 7 FT's to end the half, is how refs change momentum with their subjectivity. If you look at the span in which Nets carved into that 22pt lead, I haven't checked but you'll notice a one sided whistle.

Liked what I saw out Tillman, he just needs to get up to speed offensively.

Bane is shooting over 40% from 3 & he's not a liability defensively. With Ja & Jonas being able to draw defensive attention, I think he'd fit best with them, rookie or not. 3pt shooting & defense are both transferable skillsets.

Melton is going to be a bargain. Like last season Melton makes a big difference defensively for Memphis, now with a reliable 3pt shot included.

Didn't like a couple things.,. Clarke indecision, pass up an open 3, to miss a contested 2 = lack of confidence. Brooks shot selection in the final minute. Like but Unlike Clarke, in the final 2 minutes, Brooks shot selection went south, in a one possession game, he hoists a contested 3 early in the shot clock ...
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:48 am

Jonas out second half due to health safety, lol. Is that the new tank strategy ?. It would have been less obvious if Dieng didn't sit first half, lol.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:15 am

Whole Truth wrote:Jonas out second half due to health safety, lol. Is that the new tank strategy ?. It would have been less obvious if Dieng didn't sit first half, lol.

Health Safety? :lol: If that's the case, the rest of the team plus the Nets may need to sit out a few games due to this :o
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:23 am

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Jonas out second half due to health safety, lol. Is that the new tank strategy ?. It would have been less obvious if Dieng didn't sit first half, lol.

Health Safety? :lol: If that's the case, the rest of the team plus the Nets may need to sit out a few games due to this :o

Exactly, if it was contact tracing, Jonas played an entire half. If they had any fear Jonas had it, right protocol would have been to stop the game, not remove one player.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:27 am

Forgot to mention. Grizz are showing a disturbing trend of not being able to guard big wings. (Winslow out & may not be the long term solution).

Lavert with 20 in the 3rd Q, with no room to blame Jonas for the defensive collapse, 40pt Q. As I've mentioned before, there's defense in offense (Offensive pressure/efficiency) as their is offense in defense (transition).

Teams that Memphis have struggled with over last season & the start of this year. Boston with Tatum/Brown & NO's with Ingram ...

Side note. After losing to the Knicks, Utah beat the Bucks :noway:
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#8 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:19 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Forgot to mention. Grizz are showing a disturbing trend of not being able to guard big wings. (Winslow out & may not be the long term solution).

Lavert with 20 in the 3rd Q, with no room to blame Jonas for the defensive collapse, 40pt Q. As I've mentioned before, there's defense in offense (Offensive pressure/efficiency) as their is offense in defense (transition).

Teams that Memphis have struggled with over last season & the start of this year. Boston with Tatum/Brown & NO's with Ingram ...

Yeah the reason we traded for Winslow was because we needed a big wing defender. If he doesn't pan out I expect the FO to find a way to address that.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by SD2042 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:45 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Forgot to mention. Grizz are showing a disturbing trend of not being able to guard big wings. (Winslow out & may not be the long term solution).

This season has been the weirdest so far. Certain top teams are struggling with consistency, injuries,(playoff teams short offseason rest) and COVID-19.

The Grizzlies need to address the defense at the SF position when guys like LaVert, Tatum, Brown and others tend to get off career highs and don't be contested enough to earn those shots.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:06 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

Yeah the reason we traded for Winslow was because we needed a big wing defender. If he doesn't pan out I expect the FO to find a way to address that.

My thoughts with Winslow even going back to his Duke days is that in spite of him being s strong defender and a decent playmaker to the team, his offense has always left me with questions. Will he ever improve on it to the point to become more reliable. His injury case, is making it more likely that the Grizzlies will either not pick up the team option or they could flip his contract for another player on an expiring contract as well.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:16 pm

SD2042 wrote:

This season has been the weirdest so far. Certain top teams are struggling with consistency, injuries,(playoff teams short offseason rest) and COVID-19.

The Grizzlies need to address the defense at the SF position when guys like LaVert, Tatum, Brown and others tend to get off career highs and don't be contested enough to earn those shots.

Though LA won their last 3 games, it was 2 close games against Memphis (down 3 starters) & another one possession win over the Bulls last night. Personally, I think they are missing Rondo & Green, despite landing Shroeder as a replacement more than anything else.

If Simmons starts hitting 3's I'll bet Green has something to do with it. He helped guys in Toronto, Rondo magically turned into a shooter in the playoffs with LA ... so I'm expecting Simmons to turn into a sharp shooter at some point too as Green has already talked about his form being good as though he's already taken interest.

How nice would it be for Utah to fall out the playoffs & give Memphis a pick in the 10-14 range where they could potentially pick up Jalen Johnson to pair with the Memphis pick landing Jalen Green :D
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:20 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Yeah the reason we traded for Winslow was because we needed a big wing defender. If he doesn't pan out I expect the FO to find a way to address that.

Dillon is a solid aggressive defender in the right matchups but Lebron giving his effort the too small hand jester pretty much summed it up, not too long after Brown lit him up.

Lavert was having a solid game but went off when Dillon had to sit due to foul trouble.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies