ImageImageImageImageImage

Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

nivisi9
Senior
And1: 393

Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry 

Post#1 » by nivisi9 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:47 pm

Everyone loves Lowry and he's the greatest Raptor ever but I think it has become quite clear the time has come to trade Kyle Lowry for the following:

- Opens up minutes for the development of our younger players as we saw last night.
- Eliminates the 2 PG lineup which has clear limitations.
- Keeping Lowry pushes this team into treadmill territory (6-10th seed) worst position to be in.
- Gives Powell the opportunity to start permanently and decide on his future - is he NormGod from last year having a slow start and worth keeping? Or just an inconsistent player we should move?
- Unlikely to resign at 35 yrs old and could be traded for an additional late 1st round pick in a deep draft.
- Trading Lowry is critical for maximizing the quick retool, best odds for a better lottery pick.
-Raptors are in a rare scenario where a quick retool is realistically possible - slow start 2-6, shortened season, not playing at home, team can keep the majority of the young core for next year + top 2021 prospect.
-Perfect opportunity for a development season for young guards - FVV, Flynn, Davis could all replace Lowry's minutes for further development, best for the future of franchise.
- Regardless of slow start this team is clearly no longer a contender and should try and maximize the return on assets that are not part of the future.

The Pro's and Con's seem rather obvious, but do we think Masai/Bobby agree and will initiate?
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,556

Re: Why its time to trade Kyle Lowry 

Post#2 » by VanWest82 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:52 pm

It all depends on our record. If we stay well below .500 then of course they will try and trade him, and Lowry will understand too as long as he isn't sent to a bad team. If you're not winning in the NBA nothing is guaranteed other than your salary. Lots of good reasons to find a workable trade as long as it doesn't kill our cap space.
AP_cb4
Junior
And1: 226

Post#3 » by AP_cb4 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:54 pm

Unless Lowry demands a trade or there's a great deal on the table which we cannot pass , I wouldn't trade him.

He's the greatest Raptors of all time, we won our championship . If Massai was okay losing Ibaka for nothing then that is the chance you take with Lowry as well.

I hope he can retire here.
***TurboZone
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,574

Post#4 » by Ackshun » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:57 pm

I would ask him if he wants to be here.

If he says yes, then I do not trade him.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#5 » by KL78192020 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:59 pm

AP_cb4 wrote:Unless Lowry demands a trade or there's a great deal on the table which we cannot pass , I wouldn't trade him.

He's the greatest Raptors of all time, we won our championship . If Massai was okay losing Ibaka for nothing then that is the chance you take with Lowry as well.

Eh. People get to sentimental, Jordan the GOAT played for the Wizards, Hakeem played for the Raptors, Patrick Ewing a legendary Knick played for the magic and the supersonics, the list goes on and on.

Lowry didn't even start his career here. Its not a big deal if he moves on or is traded.
nivisi9
Senior

Post#6 » by nivisi9 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:00 pm

VanWest82 wrote:It all depends on our record. If we stay well below .500 then of course they will try and trade him, and Lowry will understand too as long as he isn't sent to a bad team. If you're not winning in the NBA nothing is guaranteed other than your salary. Lots of good reasons to find a workable trade as long as it doesn't kill our cap space.

The thing is if the team is hovering a bit over .500 isn't that even worse? That is essentially the worst case scenario..

This will mean we are firmly in treadmill territory, we are no longer a contender and Lowry very unlikely that he will be on the team next year.

What is the point in pursuing this possible outcome when there is a possibility to have a quick 1 yr re-tool and be good/young again next season?

All the more reasons to pursue trading him.
mihaic
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,029

Post#7 » by mihaic » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:06 pm

You wait closer to trade deadline, if he wants to be traded AND we have a losing record then you trade him and tank hard the rest of the way
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,859

Post#8 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:06 pm

Ackshun wrote:I would ask him if he wants to be here.

If he says yes, then I do not trade him.

It's never that simple... $$$$$ have something to say.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#9 » by Indeed » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:07 pm

I think we will trade Powell to balance the roster first.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,556

Post#10 » by VanWest82 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:10 pm

nivisi9 wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:It all depends on our record. If we stay well below .500 then of course they will try and trade him, and Lowry will understand too as long as he isn't sent to a bad team. If you're not winning in the NBA nothing is guaranteed other than your salary. Lots of good reasons to find a workable trade as long as it doesn't kill our cap space.

The thing is if the team is hovering a bit over .500 isn't that even worse? That is essentially the worst case scenario..

This will mean we are firmly in treadmill territory, we are no longer a contender and Lowry very unlikely that he will be on the team next year.

What is the point in pursuing this possible outcome when there is a possibility to have a quick 1 yr re-tool and be good/young again next season?

All the more reasons to pursue trading him.

I get it. It's probably why the roster is so imbalanced. Front office may have intended to tank and sell off.

But sometimes the players decide this stuff. What about the scenario where we catch fire in the second half and all our guys start looking like all stars? We win round one and maybe get some injury luck to sneak into another ECF. If that happens with some combination of Fred, Norm, Siakam, OG, Flynn, TD, Boucher making leaps in their development then that might be worth more than a little better draft pick. It still makes sense to give these guys time imo. It'll be clearer what to do after 20 games.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,973

Post#11 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:13 pm

KL78192020 wrote:
AP_cb4 wrote:Unless Lowry demands a trade or there's a great deal on the table which we cannot pass , I wouldn't trade him.

Eh. People get to sentimental, Jordan the GOAT played for the Wizards, Hakeem played for the Raptors, Patrick Ewing a legendary Knick played for the magic and the supersonics, the list goes on and on.

Lowry didn't even start his career here. Its not a big deal if he moves on or is traded.

Not to mention Celts trading Paul Pierce for what ended up being Brown or Tatum, or both (too lazy to check). This is what winning organizations do. Suns traded Steve Nash to Lakers, but IIRC Nash agreed to it.

Lowry is a hard read, but he's definitely not sentimental. I'd guess his priority to have at least one more productive playoff run to confirm his HOF bona fides. So we could only trade him to a legit contender, like the Sixers.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#12 » by Bruin » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:14 pm

Ultimately the NBA is a business so the future of the team takes priority over sentiment and emotion. It’s best to get value in terms of assets for Lowry at some point before we lose him for nothing, whether that’s free agency or retirement down the road
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#13 » by johanliebert » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:31 pm

its pretty clear they will deal him at some point this year. all those vets came off the books at the same time for a reason. imo i think fred resigned with the belief this is lowry's last season.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,313

Post#14 » by mtcan » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:36 pm

I was thinking maybe a team like New Orleans who is currently 10th in the Wesr could use Kyle's veteran leadership to complement their young core. Make no mistake...the Pelicans need to make the playoffs because the expectations are there.

A deal with Kyle and Norm for fillers (Steven Adams?) and their first round pick and Nickiel Alexander-Walker or Jaxon Hayes would make sense for both teams.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#15 » by Rapsalot » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:41 pm

I would ask what he want to do first? If he is open to trade I would love to package him and even NP for a starting shooting guard.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,760

Post#16 » by ItsDanger » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:43 pm

Only thing you owe Kyle is to trade him to a team with a legit shot at a championship.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,645

Post#17 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:46 pm

Makes all the sense in the world to trade him.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,951

Post#18 » by Coco Costanza » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:47 pm

As much as I think Kyle would want to end his career here, if trading him to a contender is a possibility, I think he'd be totally on board. Because he wants to win.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
nivisi9
Senior

Post#19 » by nivisi9 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:48 pm

I think we are underestimating the potential importance of trading Lowry sooner then later if we want to maximize a quick stealth 1 yr tank..

I think its much more realistic that Siakam, Powell, young guys, all start playing alot better then how we started and we begin hovering into low playoff seed territory.

by trading Lowry sooner then later we eliminate that possibility and maximize this rare opportunity!

We could easily be really good again next season with a high lottery pick + the young core guys we already have = a nasty young core for a long time.

I think its the tough call we need to make to capitalize on this, but I'm doubtful our front office would go for it.
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,102

Post#20 » by h4rrison » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:49 pm

100% trade him. This is a down year for us and we need to trade our expirings for assets. Who knows he can still resign with us even though we traded him since we're doing him a favor in trading to a contender?

Return to Toronto Raptors