ImageImageImage

Second year - Sekou poll! Superstar or All Star?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Sekou’s destined to be........

Superstar
No votes
All-star
11%
Role player
39%
Out of league within five years
50%

Total votes: 18

ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Second year - Sekou poll! Superstar or All Star? 

Post#1 » by ByeByeDre » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:01 pm

Thought now would be a great time to do a poll on Sekou. Last year, 34 of 47 posters said “superstar” or “all-star”. Let’s see if the tone about him has changed.......
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Re: Second year - Sekou poll! Superstar or All Star? 

Post#2 » by bstein14 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:44 pm

At this point, if he's a solid backup to 34 MPG Jerami Grant, getting the other 14 MPG behind him that is a huge win for us. I'd be happy if he improves enough to the point of being a solid rotation player 8th or 9th man. Not sure he even gets there.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#3 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:02 pm

You're awful man :lol:

But looking like a potential starter if he puts it together
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#4 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:10 pm

On a positive his 3 point shot looks much improved.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,747

Post#5 » by Snakebites » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:23 pm

I don’t think he’s gonna get the chance. Our forward rotation looks too crowded.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#6 » by Kilo » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:18 pm

Needs to be traded into playing time somewhere. Call up OKC and see if they'd trade a future late FRP for him.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#7 » by vege » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:25 pm

A few weeks ago I said I wouldn't be shocked if Weaver traded him, since he is not HIS guy, and Weaver clearly wants this to be HIS team.

People went full hostile on me for suggesting that Sekou could be traded, I wonder if the reaction would still be the same.

Sekou is not deserving minutes, he is not playing well, and most of the time he is hiding. He is very talented, and I think we should keep him, but he has to change his attitude, else he will be a waste of talent.

Like MotownMadness said, he is hitting most of his open 3's which is great, but he has shown he can do much more than that.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#8 » by Han Solo » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:28 pm

He just turned 20 years old. His three point shot is butter.

He can still be something special. Just have to have some patience.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#9 » by 440BB » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:22 pm

The lack of a G league team this year is detrimental to Sekou in particular, as he needs a lot more reps to continue developing in this sport.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#10 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:33 pm

Sekou does two things really well now: take a set shot for 3 and he runs down the court hard after every stop.

He does have a jump shot game maybe 15 ft from the basket. It could develop.

He is bad at everything else.

Poor rebounder for his size. He never comes down with the ball if another person is around.
Fouls way too much.
Can't dribble in traffic.
He had at least 2 possessions I remember where he double air balled. He air balled, Pistons got the ball back, he had the ball again and air balled. That is not good.

His worst is the defense. His job is almost always to watch someone in the corner. He never does this, he always ball watches and the guy in the corner sneaks off for an easy shot, gets a pass for an easy 3 or gets a pass and goes in free for a lay up. Sekou on the court means the other team gets free points. For a guy that cant get any minutes, I want to scream at him. If God gave me his athletic talents I would, at the very least, stay on my man instead of some little kid ball watching.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#11 » by ByeByeDre » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:00 pm

I think it’s safe to spend the Sekou Eastern Conference jersey money elsewhere. He’s getting tenth man minutes in the first half, completely out of the rotation in the second......
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#12 » by ducler » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:34 am

We need to start a thread: 'who will get out of the team first, Sekou or Casey?'
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#13 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:47 pm

Watching the replay during lunch, Sekou is playing his few minutes. He didn't do anything terrible that I saw. Okafor had a pretty dumb turnover, bad pass, led to a lay-up for Jazz. Then time-out. ---- This was the first few minutes I saw him play -----

After timeout. His defense is still pretty bad - head constantly watching the ball in a daze. Wandering around, leaving his man open. He left Ingles wide up but the shot was missed.

When people drive, Sekou leaves his guy and double blocks out the opponent center, but completely leaves his guy open. That guy usually rotates a little, so then Sekou has to disengage with the guy, go all the way around him and then run to the 3 point line to challenge the 3 pointer.

Its real basic stuff. He doesnt understand how man defense works. Some people just lack basic common sense in sports and so far Sekou is in that category. He isn't a Blake Griffin type super athlete so he doesnt offer anything. Not a sharp shooter. Not a great passer, in fact when he gets the ball he shoots, backs down and shoots, drives down the court and shoots/turnover etc.

So he doesnt do anything well and has huge red flag negatives that immediately give up points.

He needs to head back down to the G-league, but honestly he is just a 15th guy that might develop someday.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#14 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:20 pm

I'll never trust frenchies again. Between him and Killian I'm very disappointed. I'll just stick to the guys I have better access to watching them play live against other prospects in college ball.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#15 » by ducler » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:47 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I'll never trust frenchies again. Between him and Killian I'm very disappointed. I'll just stick to the guys I have better access to watching them play live against other prospects in college ball.

:D
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#16 » by 440BB » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm

Does anybody have more insight about why Comsport parted ways with him last summer?
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#17 » by pistonsbball » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:41 am

He got his first real exposure to consistent minutes in the 2nd half of January last year and in 8 games he averaged 14ppg on 54/41. That's a pretty big sample size and you've got to have talent to do that at 19. I'm not sure what's happened since then as he certainly hasn't been as confident or aggressive.

If he can ever put it together he'll average 20ppg easily. Naturally he's got great footwork and touch, and he has a huge frame to add to. If he can add a consistent euro step then he's going to be a load.

I'm not sure about defense, he has tools but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's going to "get after it" on that end.
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#18 » by Mr. Krabs » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:41 am

I think its best if he goes back to Europe, I'm guessing he is having cultural/communication issues.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,369

Post#19 » by Billl » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm

I still think he's going to break out, but I'm much less confident he'll be a piston when he does. I think this lack of off season hurt him as much as it did any of the rookies. He needs a TON of reps with just basic basketball skills. You can tell he's worked on his shot and his body, but basically everything you need live action to work on is just a mess right now. It's all teachable stuff, but he needs the time - and willingness - to get get coached up on it.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#20 » by Manocad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:03 pm

My vote didn't change from role player. Just playing the odds.

Return to Detroit Pistons