ImageImageImage

Tatum to enter quarantine, miss 10 to 14 days

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,782

Re: Tatum to enter quarantine, miss 10 to 14 days 

Post#81 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:13 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
According to an NBA source, Robert Williams, Grant Williams, Carsen Edwards, and Thompson recently rode in a car together, with Edwards the lone player wearing a mask. Edwards was cleared to play Friday against Washington because he was not considered a close contact. Grant Williams and Thompson, however, were considered risks.

It’s uncertain how Tatum contracted the virus, but according to the league’s research by medical experts, it’s nearly impossible to pass the virus during an NBA game because according to the Center for Disease Control’s website, transmission risk is with an “individual who has had close contact [within 6 feet for a total of 15 minutes or more].”

According to NBA research, players are not in close contact with each other for remotely close to 15 minutes during a game.

Celtics players and other members of the organization were tested twice on Friday. According to the league source, Tatum tested negative in the first test but positive in his second. The team then canceled Saturday’s practice and informed members of the organization that the Auerbach Center would be shut down, preventing players from using the facility for treatment or workouts.

From Washburn

The bolded part is trash (despite it being on the CDC's website). If it were true, what would be the point of wearing a mask to the grocery store, the bank, short transit trips, etc.?

Also, Edwards being the only one wearing a mask during that car ride is scary. What were the others thinking?
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#82 » by SichtingLives » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:22 pm

I don't see a part of all of this that wasn't 100% inevitable, planned for and expected. If the NBA has a severe outbreak they could shut it down. But a few positives here and there, nah. They didn't come all this way to cancel just because our good player got covid. For once a 15 man roster actually becomes on court useful. thats at least equally as interesting as another typical run of the mill regular season NBA snoozefest. Hell last nights game had all the energy of teenagers playing pickup ball while texting with their off hand. This season was going to be a ****show one way or the other might as well let it ride until a wheel springs loose.

It does appear though that the NBA hasn't put nearly as much planning into protocol for this season as they did in the bubble. Looks like they're basically making it up as they go along.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#83 » by SichtingLives » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:23 pm

This is also going to effect just about every team throughout the year. It will have a weird way of balancing out as injuries do.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#84 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:47 pm

Read on Twitter
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#85 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:52 pm

I’ll guess that he’ll be back in 10 days and in time to play Philly. He’ll be rusty, for sure, but think he’ll be back.
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#86 » by klemen4 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:52 pm

The system NBA has us stupid...should be a lot more simple...tracing of contact is waste of time...who is positive is out, others play on, that's how it should be.

They have to change this or they will have to stop playing...players are in contact with one another all the time...half team will be in healthy protocol week by week.

Be sure Tatum infected his good friend Beal yesterday, for sure they huged, talked, spent some time together...
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,277

Post#87 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:07 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#88 » by Bill Bradley » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:34 pm

The test is so unreliable. Was never meant to diagnose. If he doesn’t have symptoms he probably doesn’t have COVID.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,225

Post#89 » by TheMartian » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:46 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Suspend the Season. -- As I've said in other Threads.
They need to go back to the Bubble, until they get the Vaccine.

The 2nd half of the Season, may need to be delayed.
It's not Scheduled yet.

I'm sure that they were aware of this possibility.

I agree. Silver needs to at least have a backup plan for the season in case of another outbreak, which IMO is already happening.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:35 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:So Javonte likely had it. RWIII def has it. Tatum likely has it. Grant and TT may have it.

Sounds like were in an outbreak. More positives will come.

7 guys now on the list. More to come if one of the additional players exposed to Tatum have it.

Gonna guess that pretty much everyone who didnt have some level of immunity will end up with it due to this.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:40 pm

Adam Silver: We havent scheduled the second half of the season so we can be flexible in case of an outbreak on a team

Also Adam Silver: the 76ers and Celtics have to play, even if they have 5-7 people out due to COVID protocols.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#92 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:43 pm

For context

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,277

Post#93 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:49 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Adam Silver: We havent scheduled the second half of the season so we can be flexible in case of an outbreak on a team

Also Adam Silver: the 76ers and Celtics have to play, even if they have 5-7 people out due to COVID protocols.

It's just Crazy. Literally.

GoCeltics123 wrote:For context

Read on Twitter

This makes no sense.
One more Out, and we can't play.

76ers are in a similar boat.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#94 » by SMTBSI » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:54 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
According to an NBA source, Robert Williams, Grant Williams, Carsen Edwards, and Thompson recently rode in a car together, with Edwards the lone player wearing a mask. Edwards was cleared to play Friday against Washington because he was not considered a close contact. Grant Williams and Thompson, however, were considered risks.

It’s uncertain how Tatum contracted the virus, but according to the league’s research by medical experts, it’s nearly impossible to pass the virus during an NBA game because according to the Center for Disease Control’s website, transmission risk is with an “individual who has had close contact [within 6 feet for a total of 15 minutes or more].”

According to NBA research, players are not in close contact with each other for remotely close to 15 minutes during a game.

Celtics players and other members of the organization were tested twice on Friday. According to the league source, Tatum tested negative in the first test but positive in his second. The team then canceled Saturday’s practice and informed members of the organization that the Auerbach Center would be shut down, preventing players from using the facility for treatment or workouts.

From Washburn

The bolded part is trash (despite it being on the CDC's website). If it were true, what would be the point of wearing a mask to the grocery store, the bank, short transit trips, etc.?

Also, Edwards being the only one wearing a mask during that car ride is scary. What were the others thinking?

It's probabilistic. I caught covid despite absolutely, positively, without any question, having nothing remotely close to a "traceable" contact. And that's an understatement. I've practically been a hermit (not out of fear, just because things in my life lined up such that I had the opportunity to be for a while without much hassle).

The contact tracers, based on my description of my routine, told me my infection was extremely unlikely. I must have just been flat unlucky, picking up a tiny amount of virus clinging to a surface somewhere along the line.

But there's no possible way to prevent those kinds of super unlikely cases. You can't bubble-boy all of humanity for a year. So you do the research, and establish criteria that will prevent the majority of transmissions. In this case, following that 6ft for 15 minutes criteria, statistically, should prevent enough transmission to flatten the curve. It's not necessary, or possible, to go to crazy extremes to null every single possible case. There's seriously diminishing returns after a point, because it will always be possible to sneak a couple through no matter the precautions.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,334

Post#95 » by Triple7 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:57 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

The players won’t agree to another bubble. They should all get vaccinated at once. That’s the only way to salvage this season, else we will be looking at this the whole season.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,607

Post#96 » by Green89 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:28 am

I'd love to know why they haven't stopped players hugging and hand shaking during and after the games. Seems like a reasonable protocol to put in place.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#97 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:41 am

Green89 wrote:I'd love to know why they haven't stopped players hugging and hand shaking during and after the games. Seems like a reasonable protocol to put in place.

Agreed. Problem is the NBA is not following any protocol .
*Insert witty signature here.*
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,221

Post#98 » by K For Three » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:41 am

It's been super hard for me to take sports as seriously during the covid situation.

I just want this under control......for the country. For all of us.

I hope Tatum is okay and all our players are with no lasing effects from this virus, their health comes first. Wins and losses are what they are and will work themselves out.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#99 » by cl2117 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:56 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:For context

Read on Twitter

So that leaves:

Teague/Pritchard/Waters/Edwards
Smart
Nesmith
Theis
Tacko

Is it wrong that I want to see this just because I have no idea how Brad would cope?

Like obviously the game shouldn't be played for a host of reasons from health to competitiveness, but if it's played it'll be hilarious. At some stage we'd probably roll a lineup consisting of 4 guards and Tacko.

I caught some of the Nuggets/Sixers game today and it was fun to watch Maxey play hero ball, but eventually it was just kinda sad as they were all gassed and just overmatched.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,722

Post#100 » by Slax » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:57 am

Bill Bradley wrote:The test is so unreliable. Was never meant to diagnose. If he doesn’t have symptoms he probably doesn’t have COVID.

No he probably has COVID and is shedding virus, just isn't showing symptoms either because it's too early and he will develop them later, or because he's some combination of young and in good shape and lucky. Hopefully the latter but possibly the former.

Return to Boston Celtics