LaMelo Ball

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Emhoward
Junior
And1: 397

Re: LaMelo Ball 

Post#261 » by Emhoward » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:27 pm

Someone earlier mentioned that if Lamelo becomes all star caliber then it's due to a complete transformation. I agreed with that at the time, but honestly, so far, he's been exactly what people who were high on him said he'd be. A big playmaking PG, with elite passing, and a suspect shot, has the tools to be a good defender just has to stay engaged and gain strength. The only thing different may be the shot isn't as bad as folks in the thread made it out to be, and he's not as raw as I thought. Whether he becomes an all star though obviously remains to be seen -- I suppose he could still end up being a flashy MCW, but the early returns are promising.
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#262 » by crows2 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:54 pm

A lot of people in this thread who have no idea about the NBL and how hard it is for young players to crack underestimated what Melo did last year. Perhaps leave the NBL scouting to Australians or scouts who’ve ever actually watched an NBL game or know anything about Australian basketball.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#263 » by amcoolio » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:29 am

Youngest player to record a triple double in NBA history

22 pts, 12 reb, 11 ast on 9-13 shooting in only 31 minutes
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#264 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:08 am

Any questions?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,186

Post#265 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:19 am

wouldn't puff my chest out too soon Mr Evanz
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#266 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:38 am

clyde21 wrote:wouldn't puff my chest out too soon Mr Evanz

LOL says the guy talking about Hali ROY after 3 games.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#267 » by Upperclass » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:57 am

viewtopic.php?p=56704304#p56704304

viewtopic.php?p=86887581#p86887581

Was easy to see how good he would be..
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#268 » by karkinos » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:34 pm

the international experience is really showing its rewards
his father was 100% correct that his time was better spent playing against professionals
lamelo is definitely going to be better than lonzo if he isn't already
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#269 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:30 am

Completely destroyed MIL tonight. ROY running away.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#270 » by zimpy27 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:35 am

I knew LaMelo would improve his TS% in the NBA, it was pretty clear the shots he was taking were horrible in the NBL. Context is important for shooting stats in some cases.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#271 » by Dat2U » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:36 pm

Dat2U wrote:Easily the best prospect in this draft. Unlike Lonzo, LaMelo can break defenders down and get all the way to the rim. Much more of playmaker and creator than Lonzo is. Will be threat to put up triple doubles regularly due to his rebounding & passing abilities.

:D
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#272 » by Dat2U » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:45 pm

Dat2U wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Easily the best prospect in this draft. Unlike Lonzo, LaMelo can break defenders down and get all the way to the rim. Much more of playmaker and creator than Lonzo is. Will be threat to put up triple doubles regularly due to his rebounding & passing abilities.

So a poor shooting, poor defending, stat padder with lack of self awareness... Sounds like Westbrook with worse defense. Not an easy player to build around.

He's 6-7/6-8 with long arms and good athleticism and a high IQ. Most PGs are initially bad defenders but his athletic traits/international experience means his transition to defending NBA players shouldn't be as steep as it is for many guards.

I wouldnt be writing him off a some terrible defender.

And equating someone the rebounds and passes extremely well to being a stat padder seems really negative. I'm not a fan of his father's antics or his brother's game... Was very mixed on Lonzo coming out but LaMelo is a different tier than Lonzo. Naturally more talented, more skilled, bigger and maybe even a little quicker.

It was clear to anyone that actually watched film that LaMelo was different. This wasn't just another 6-7 MCW type with a broken shot. 6-8 guys with elite ball skill aren't commonplace in the league, I think alot of folks missed on that piece and focused on what he was so-so at or remembered the youtube vids of him of showing his azz when he was much younger in HS.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#273 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:57 pm

I don’t really care all that much about rebounding and assist numbers because they are so easy to pad(not saying that’s the case here), but I underestimated his ability to attack the basket. He’s still not an elite scoring prospect to me, but his agression alone makes him a way greater threat in the half court than Lonzo has ever been by example.

Not sold on him being a star, but the early returns look nice, even with poor shooting splits.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#274 » by pcbothwel » Mon Feb 1, 2021 1:30 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
So a poor shooting, poor defending, stat padder with lack of self awareness... Sounds like Westbrook with worse defense. Not an easy player to build around.

He's 6-7/6-8 with long arms and good athleticism and a high IQ. Most PGs are initially bad defenders but his athletic traits/international experience means his transition to defending NBA players shouldn't be as steep as it is for many guards.

I wouldnt be writing him off a some terrible defender.

And equating someone the rebounds and passes extremely well to being a stat padder seems really negative. I'm not a fan of his father's antics or his brother's game... Was very mixed on Lonzo coming out but LaMelo is a different tier than Lonzo. Naturally more talented, more skilled, bigger and maybe even a little quicker.

It was clear to anyone that actually watched film that LaMelo was different. This wasn't just another 6-7 MCW type with a broken shot. 6-8 guys with elite ball skill aren't commonplace in the league, I think alot of folks missed on that piece and focused on what he was so-so at or remembered the youtube vids of him of showing his azz when he was much younger in HS.

Yeah... it seems I missed on LaMelo, but still believe I had good reason. That shot is really funky and we an almost exact replica of those short comings with Lonzo. They cant use it off the dribble and relies on step backs and floaters.
Again, I knew he would rack up Rebounds, Assist, and a few steals... but I was weary about his efficiency and defense.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#275 » by Dat2U » Mon Feb 1, 2021 2:12 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:I don’t really care all that much about rebounding and assist numbers because they are so easy to pad(not saying that’s the case here), but I underestimated his ability to attack the basket. He’s still not an elite scoring prospect to me, but his agression alone makes him a way greater threat in the half court than Lonzo has ever been by example.

Not sold on him being a star, but the early returns look nice, even with poor shooting splits.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

If the numbers were so easy to pad, why can't every rookie do it?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#276 » by zimpy27 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 8:54 pm

BT with a nice breakdown of the potential. I find the comparison to Kidd interesting, Lonzo got the same but LaMelo has the aggressiveness that young Lonzo lacked. Lonzo is also pretty underrated right now though, Pels would be foolish to trade him.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,419

Post#277 » by Big J » Fri Feb 5, 2021 12:02 am

LaMelo's defense isn't in the same galaxy as Kidds. Kidd was tough as nails also, Melo's been pandered after since he was in diapers.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#278 » by MemphisX » Fri Feb 5, 2021 2:01 am

Big J wrote:LaMelo's defense isn't in the same galaxy as Kidds. Kidd was tough as nails also, Melo's been pandered after since he was in diapers.

Kidd was a top prospect since middle school. He had the same upbringing as Melo. You think Kidd was in some ghetto struggling to get by playing in the park? :noway:
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#279 » by Dat2U » Fri Feb 5, 2021 2:14 am

Big J wrote:LaMelo's defense isn't in the same galaxy as Kidds. Kidd was tough as nails also, Melo's been pandered after since he was in diapers.

Thats what this thread is filled with, personal shots with a little bit of scouting mixed in.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#280 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Feb 5, 2021 6:24 pm

I actually think the reason he's this skilled is that he wasn't pandered after at all. He was playing up his whole life. Basically playing against top level competition since he was in 8th grade.

He looked like a literal child but was playing against the top prep teams around. That's not pandering/sheltering.

Return to NBA Draft