ImageImage

Prospect Spotlight -- Lamelo Ball

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Prospect Spotlight -- Lamelo Ball 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:48 am

I think he is the worst prospect in the draft. A future bust and will be playing in China longer than in the NBA. He has the worst jumpshot and shooting mechanic of all the prospects. Ball also has one of the worst IQs in the draft.

With that said, if Ball falls to Atlanta, the Hawks should think about drafting him, because the Knicks, or Suns might be willing to swap picks and give up some assets.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Lamelo Ball 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:49 am

I think he's going to end up being the best of the Ball family to play. I think he's ready better than Lonzo on offense and if they played pickup games Melo probably wins every matchup.
Like most players his success will depend on the system that he's playing for. I believe Charlotte is a good fit for him.but they'll need to trade up. I don't think k Golden State will be interested, Minnesota Judy worked him out finally, so we'll see how everything plays out. I won't be surprised if he goes #1.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:17 pm

I love that the OP started a new thread specifically to state how much he dislikes the kid. :lol:

I don't like him for us. I doubt he's a winning type of player. But he has talent and will put butts in seats. I hope he goes to Charlotte. That franchise needs some excitement and flair.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:19 am

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#5 » by Spud2nique » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:48 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:I think he is the worst prospect in the draft. A future bust and will be playing in China longer than in the NBA. He has the worst jumpshot and shooting mechanic of all the prospects. Ball also has one of the worst IQs in the draft.

With that said, if Ball falls to Atlanta, the Hawks should think about drafting him, because the Knicks, or Suns might be willing to swap picks and give up some assets.

He’s a bust and will go to China but Hawks should take him at 6? :crazy: :lol: wow. Diesel, don’t ever be our GM. Just don’t do it.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#6 » by D21 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:50 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:With that said, if Ball falls to Atlanta, the Hawks should think about drafting him, because the Knicks, or Suns might be willing to swap picks and give up some assets.

Then it will have to be agreed before the pick is made, certainly not gamble on picking him and then trying to make a trade. If we pick him, it has to be for another team with the trade already made.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#7 » by azuresou1 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:54 pm

I don't like LaMelo for us, and I think his success will depend 100% on the team he gets draft to.

I think he could do great if he gets drafted by a team like the Spurs or the Heat (through a trade up), where Pops/Spo will let him free-wheel, but where team culture will keep him in line if he acts out and plays selfishly.

On a team with zero accountability I think he'll be in China in 4 years.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Are There Any Future All-Stars in the 2020 NBA Draft Class?

Favorite: LaMelo Ball (Hawks, PG, 2001)

If I'm picking one favorite to reach the NBA All-Star Game, it's LaMelo Ball, who could get there with a combination of Trae Young's passing skills and Caris LeVert's size and scoring game.

Passing instincts typically translate. They have for Young, Luka Doncic and Ja Morant in recent years. Despite what you think about how Lonzo Ball's pro career has gone, his passing has carried over, as well.

LaMelo registered a 36.9 assist percentage in the NBL, demonstrating special vision, reads and deliveries that should continue to work in the NBA, particularly at 6'7". It's easy to buy him surpassing his brother's assist numbers by his third season (7.0 per game), especially given his superior wiggle and shiftiness off the dribble.

His playmaking—and its high likelihood of translating—helps create a high floor. But to reach All-Star status, he has to grow as a scorer, and that improvement is worth betting on for a 19-year-old with his shot-making, touch and coordination at the basket.

He reminds me of LeVert as a scorer due to his preference for using mostly drives to the hoop and threes.

Ball has the creative handle to navigate through defenses and get to the basket, where he can finish at tough angles on both sides of the rim. And though there are questions about his shooting, he still buried 20 threes in 12 games after making four during the Hawks' exhibition opener.

Even if his jump shot remains inconsistent, Ball should still fire away with enough volume to hit shots and catch streaks.

He averaged 17.0 points overseas, and if he can get to that range in the NBA while hovering near the top of the assist leaderboard, he should be able to put together an All-Star case.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:53 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
He finally had a good game.
I wish him the best and hope he has more games like this one.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:57 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:I think he is the worst prospect in the draft. A future bust and will be playing in China longer than in the NBA.

:crazy:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#12 » by jayu70 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:15 am

Hot takes always come back.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:52 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:27 am

He realizes the NBA is easiest level he's played at so far.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:48 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Mar 6, 2021 4:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:06 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:I think he is the worst prospect in the draft. A future bust and will be playing in China longer than in the NBA. He has the worst jumpshot and shooting mechanic of all the prospects. Ball also has one of the worst IQs in the draft.

Read on Twitter
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#18 » by shakes0 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Read on Twitter

bbq never gonna live that down. :lol: :lol:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 3, 2021 11:05 pm

Read on Twitter

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#20 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:43 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think this is the beginning of the end for Lamelo. His career has gone just like i predicted and has been very similar to Lonzo. I just know basketball at a higher level than most. His flashy play has gotten novice fans over hyping him at the start, but his low IQ and poor defense has resulted in zero team success and alot of injuries. I don't see Lamelo ever playing a 60 or even 70 game season.

Return to Atlanta Hawks