Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Re: GT #10: Miami Heat @ Washington Wizards 1/9/2021 7:00PM 

Post#141 » by montestewart » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:45 am

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:am I reading this correctly? Miami out rebounded us 61-39 but took 6 less shots?

Doesn't seem possible, does it?

They committed 10 more turnovers than us, but that doesn't explain everything.

Incidentally, we committed just 6 turnovers on the night. That's what having competent, under-control, PG play can do for you. Westbrook, are you listening?

I saw that too, When you take into account 10 TOs, Wizards +8 in missed FGs, and the rebound split by end of the floor vs. by team, it gets it closer, but that rebounding differential takes maximum advantage of all quirks, including 7 boards off missed FTs, a 4-3 Miami advantage.

Interesting quirk in an interesting game. Hate to lose, but missing Beal, Westbrook, Bryant, and a bad game from Bertans, and still playing close like that is credit to a lot of playing above usual roles, especially Matthews, but credit to Smith, Hachimura, Avdija, and Lopez/Wagner filling in for Bryant.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#142 » by montestewart » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:48 am

NatP4 wrote:I wouldn’t mind Rui starting at the 5 while Bryant is out. Get Bonga back in the starting lineup.

Was surprised he didn't see more time with all the absences. He was in for like one play?
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#143 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:52 am

montestewart wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I wouldn’t mind Rui starting at the 5 while Bryant is out. Get Bonga back in the starting lineup.

Was surprised he didn't see more time with all the absences. He was in for like one play?

Yeah he played one defensive possession with 10 seconds left in the 1st half.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#144 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:58 am

Yes, Brown had an excellent second half.

Deni & Mathews had the best games. Robinson played well too. Ditto Wagner. If he played like that every night -- even with fouling out! -- he'd be a solid NBA player.

Rui, Ish & Neto did not help the cause tonight. Bertans... what's going on with that guy?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#145 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:00 am

It was more fun to watch the Wizards tonight than it has been most of the season.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#146 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:01 am

payitforward wrote:It was more fun to watch the Wizards tonight than it has been most of the season.

I agree especially the ball movement
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#147 » by AFM » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:40 am

How the **** is Bertans in worse shape than I am
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#148 » by Dark Faze » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:45 am

just catching up to things

what in the flying ****? Deni out of nowhere showcasing slashing and isolation stuff that we knew he was capable of but seemed to shy/nervous to try in game

Brooks is so bad. Garrison should have been the backup 2 from day 1. Wtf.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#149 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:00 am

Robinson now has a -15.8 net rating

Mathews now has a 18.3 rating

Guess who has played twice as many minutes as the other???
NatP4
RealGM

Post#150 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:09 am

Is 23.8 points per 36 minutes on 68.8 TS% good?

Wiz should lock Mathews up for the next 4 years right now and have one of the better 2 guards in the NBA for dirt cheap. Yep, I’m going that far. He’s our Duncan Robinson. We just need to play him.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#151 » by Dark Faze » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:18 am

can we just waive westbrook?
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,615

Post#152 » by oldshoolballer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:34 am

truwizfan4evr wrote:
payitforward wrote:It was more fun to watch the Wizards tonight than it has been most of the season.

I agree especially the ball movement

:nod: Where ever Westbrook is can he just stay there.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#153 » by SA37 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:18 pm

I completely agree.

The Wizards played a much more complete team game and that was refreshing to see. It shows you that "stars" are not necessarily the answer to a team's problems; this is a big reason why I have been against trading Herro and company for Beal or Harden -- Miami plays great team basketball and gets big contributions from players you might least expect it (I saw a stat flash up that Miami has had 5 different leading scorers in the first 8 games).

Hope Bryant's injury isn't serious!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#154 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:24 pm

It's still extremely disappointing that the defense is so terrible. While it's true that we don't have a lot of great defenders on the team, it doesn't mean our defense should be this bad. It would be one thing if we were usually in the right place at the right time but better offensive players just scored over us. I can live with that. But we must lead the league in defensive breakdowns where we send two guys to one shooter, or drop two or three guys into the paint to double-team the ball, or just fail to rotate altogether and leave a guy open for a layup. We have a team of pretty smart guys, and all but Lopez, Westbrook and Avdija were on the team last year running the same system. Why are they so clueless?

Rhetorical question. The answer is coaching.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#155 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:11 pm

NatP4 wrote:Robinson now has a -15.8 net rating

Mathews now has a 18.3 rating

Guess who has played twice as many minutes as the other???

Jerome Robinson isn't a good player. But, he had quite a good game last night.

So, maybe you should pick another occasion on which to waste your brain cycles on critiquing him?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#156 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:23 pm

NatP4 wrote:...Wiz should lock Mathews up for the next 4 years right now and have one of the better 2 guards in the NBA for dirt cheap. Yep, I’m going that far. He’s our Duncan Robinson. We just need to play him.

Yes, we should have moved Mathews to the regular roster, & of course that contract should give us as much control for as long as possible.

&, yes, he is "our Duncan Robinson" -- in the sense of being a brilliant no-cost find by our FO. But we don't know that he's as good as Duncan Robinson.

So far, though... he's pretty dxmn good -- as he was last year.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#157 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:34 pm

nate33 wrote:It's still extremely disappointing that the defense is so terrible. ...We have a team of pretty smart guys, and all but Lopez, Westbrook and Avdija were on the team last year running the same system. Why are they so clueless?

Rhetorical question. The answer is coaching.

Coaching is one of those activities where a broad spectrum of practitioners are pretty close to one another, & it's much easier to be worse than those guys than it is to be better than them.

Only a very very few NBA coaches have a provable positive effect on their teams as compared to the results you'd get from that "broad spectrum." We are not likely to get one of those very very few guys. But, that doesn't mean that we need to have one of that other group -- the guys who manage to make their players worse.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#158 » by SA37 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:50 pm

nate33 wrote:It's still extremely disappointing that the defense is so terrible. While it's true that we don't have a lot of great defenders on the team, it doesn't mean our defense should be this bad... The answer is coaching.

Absolutely agree, but I'd go one step further and say it starts in the front office.

San Antonio and Miami have clearly puts emphasis on defense for decades now; they have their modus operandi in place and no one questions it because they go get guys who are willing to buy into their systems. I mean, Miami has paid Udonis Haslem to be a practice player for years just because of everything he brings to the organization off the court and Miami didn't hesitate to give Iguodala -- a player on his last legs -- a 2-year, $30M extension when they acquired him. What Miami and San Antonio have built has been so successful that they have exported a lot of guys as head coaches or lead assistants around the league, at colleges, and for team USA (Brett Brown, Mike Budenholzer, David Fizdale, Stan Van Gundy, Alvin Gentry, James Borrego, Juwan Howard, Ime Udoka, Mike Brown, Jacques Vaughn) . San Antonio even exported Sam Presti, who is easily one of the top-5 GMs in the league, and Sean Marks (Brooklyn).

Two teams that I think are good examples for Washington to try emulate would be OKC and New Orleans. OKC hit the jackpot with Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka, and Harden in 3 years, but it all eventually broke down for OKC. Still, they have traded for an insane number of picks and have acquired solid veterans, like Chris Paul (last year), Al Horford, and George Hill to play alongside their young guys. New Orleans acquired a former OKC player in Steven Adams, along with Eric Bledsoe, and JJ Redick to help develop their young guys. They even hired Stan Van Gundy -- a high-discipline, defense-oriented coach exported from Miami -- to run the show and instill that defensive mindset into offensive-minded players, like Ingram and Ball.

If I were running Washington, I would have all of the above in mind when searching for a coach and when deciding what to do with the roster. The changes won't happen overnight, but I think Washington really needs to concentrate on establishing a strong player development program, creating a culture, and acquiring veterans who can help them remain reasonably competitive and, at the same time, set an example for their young guys.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#159 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:55 pm

Great post, SA37. May things go that way.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#160 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:59 pm

SA37 wrote:
nate33 wrote:It's still extremely disappointing that the defense is so terrible. While it's true that we don't have a lot of great defenders on the team, it doesn't mean our defense should be this bad... The answer is coaching.

Absolutely agree, but I'd go one step further and say it starts in the front office.

San Antonio and Miami have clearly puts emphasis on defense for decades now; they have their modus operandi in place and no one questions it because they go get guys who are willing to buy into their systems. I mean, Miami has paid Udonis Haslem to be a practice player for years just because of everything he brings to the organization off the court and Miami didn't hesitate to give Iguodala -- a player on his last legs -- a 2-year, $30M extension when they acquired him. What Miami and San Antonio have built has been so successful that they have exported a lot of guys as head coaches or lead assistants around the league, at colleges, and for team USA (Brett Brown, Mike Budenholzer, David Fizdale, Stan Van Gundy, Alvin Gentry, James Borrego, Juwan Howard, Ime Udoka, Mike Brown, Jacques Vaughn) . San Antonio even exported Sam Presti, who is easily one of the top-5 GMs in the league, and Sean Marks (Brooklyn).

Two teams that I think are good examples for Washington to try emulate would be OKC and New Orleans. OKC hit the jackpot with Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka, and Harden in 3 years, but it all eventually broke down for OKC. Still, they have traded for an insane number of picks and have acquired solid veterans, like Chris Paul (last year), Al Horford, and George Hill to play alongside their young guys. New Orleans acquired a former OKC player in Steven Adams, along with Eric Bledsoe, and JJ Redick to help develop their young guys. They even hired Stan Van Gundy -- a high-discipline, defense-oriented coach exported from Miami -- to run the show and instill that defensive mindset into offensive-minded players, like Ingram and Ball.

If I were running Washington, I would have all of the above in mind when searching for a coach and when deciding what to do with the roster. The changes won't happen overnight, but I think Washington really needs to concentrate on establishing a strong player development program, creating a culture, and acquiring veterans who can help them remain reasonably competitive and, at the same time, set an example for their young guys.

We have a plan... :crazy:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/07/22/wizards-announce-hires-sashi-brown-gm-formation-monumental-basketball/
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith

Return to Washington Wizards