ImageImageImage

Game 9 : Suns @ Pistons 7PM

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Crymson
Rookie
And1: 450

Re: Game 9 : Suns @ Pistons 7PM 

Post#161 » by Crymson » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:18 pm

ducler wrote:That's an unnecessary win, Casey playing the vets all game long with Bey only there as a garbage guy. Only 4 minutes of Sekou... Not sure he deserved that low minutes. Same with Isaiah.

Hope that's just 1 game and he will play youngsters more in the coming games... Otherwise I will jump on the "fire Casey" bandwagon sooner rather than later.

It's an empty win and it's what Casey does. He WILL play for wins by handing his veterans heavy minutes at the cost of development.

He's a bad coach.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#162 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:33 pm

Bey only had a few minutes until the end of the game.

Didn't Bey set a Pistons rookie record for most 3 pointers in a game - in his first 7 games? Wasn't Bey 1 make shy of the record for the most 3 pointers made in the first 6 games?

Casey is such an odd guy. If anyone on the team deserves a set amount of minutes, its Bey.

Another point entirely:

What happened to Langston Galloway? I watched the first quarter on mute doing family stuff and saw he was on fire. Then he didnt get any more minutes the rest of the game. Suns needed a few points, why not put him in and see if he could continue to shoot like that? NBA coaches :dontknow: :dontknow:
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#163 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:36 pm

Crymson wrote:
ducler wrote:That's an unnecessary win, Casey playing the vets all game long with Bey only there as a garbage guy. Only 4 minutes of Sekou... Not sure he deserved that low minutes. Same with Isaiah.

Hope that's just 1 game and he will play youngsters more in the coming games... Otherwise I will jump on the "fire Casey" bandwagon sooner rather than later.

It's an empty win and it's what Casey does. He WILL play for wins by handing his veterans heavy minutes at the cost of development.

He's a bad coach.

Positive of playing Blake 40 minutes - He will probably not play Sunday for the early game. Give those legs a rest.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#164 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:59 pm

The biggest takeaway for me was Blake actually looked a little better and more energetic than previous games. I think he needs to continue to post up and not just stand around the 3 point line. There's still a small glimmer of hope that Blake can turn things around...
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Crymson
Rookie

Post#165 » by Crymson » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:06 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Positive of playing Blake 40 minutes - He will probably not play Sunday for the early game. Give those legs a rest.

There are no positives to playing Blake 40 minutes in a rebuild. The veterans got 70% of the minutes yesterday for a meaningless win. This organization cannot even handle a simple rebuilding year correctly. It is infuriating. We are the Knicks.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#166 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:52 pm

Your ability to find the negative in every situation is a skill
Crymson wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:Positive of playing Blake 40 minutes - He will probably not play Sunday for the early game. Give those legs a rest.

There are no positives to playing Blake 40 minutes in a rebuild. The veterans got 70% of the minutes yesterday for a meaningless win. This organization cannot even handle a simple rebuilding year correctly. It is infuriating. We are the Knicks.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,218

Post#167 » by vege » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:20 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:The biggest takeaway for me was Blake actually looked a little better and more energetic than previous games. I think he needs to continue to post up and not just stand around the 3 point line. There's still a small glimmer of hope that Blake can turn things around...

Blake was playing center on defense, with Plumlee and even Okafor running like crazy around the perimeter trying to defend while Blake was defending no one under our basket.

At this point of his career, Blake is a center, not a PF anymore. It makes no sense to play him with Plumlee or Okafor. He's a huge liability on defense but he can still be a positive on offense. I would love to see him gone.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,218

Post#168 » by vege » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:21 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
What happened to Langston Galloway? I watched the first quarter on mute doing family stuff and saw he was on fire. Then he didnt get any more minutes the rest of the game. Suns needed a few points, why not put him in and see if he could continue to shoot like that? NBA coaches :dontknow: :dontknow:

He only plays 8 minutes per game in Phoenix. They should've played him a lot more this game since he was hot, so they're dumb.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#169 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:03 am

My takeaway is the Pistons are probably targeting the Suns as as trade partner and wanted to showcase their vets.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,525

Post#170 » by zeebneeb » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:07 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:My takeaway is the Pistons are probably targeting the Suns as as trade partner and wanted to showcase their vets.
Definitely a possibility. I'm not sure the terms on how they left, but Paul being there opens the door for Blake in an attempt to win now.

When management starts winning, they can start making moves...
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#171 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:10 am

vege wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:

He only plays 8 minutes per game in Phoenix. They should've played him a lot more this game since he was hot, so they're dumb.

I cant tell if this is sarcasm. But yes, it was extremely dumb.

If a guy plays 10 minutes and goes 5/8 on 3. Then he doesnt play another minute in a tight game where every other player on the court is ice cold. That is dumb. The rest of team went something like 3/40 after the 1st quarter, when Langston stopped playing.

Langston is great shooter and when he is hot, not letting him shoot is giving up points. This is basic NBA coaching for Dummies level stuff.

Your entire team is shooting less than 10% from 3. Its a tie game. You have an extremely hot shooter. Lets sit him the rest of the game, for no reason. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Crymson
Rookie

Post#172 » by Crymson » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:45 am

Pharaoh wrote:Your ability to find the negative in every situation is a skill

Your attempts to moderate opinions here are irritating. WE GET IT: YOU'RE UPSET THAT PEOPLE ARE CRITICAL OF WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THE TEAM. That is exclusively your burden to bear.

BadMofoPimp wrote:My takeaway is the Pistons are probably targeting the Suns as as trade partner and wanted to showcase their vets.

Which veterans? The Suns have no use for Blake, and no means to acquire him anyway without surrendering Booker, Ayton, or CP3 in the process. The Suns similarly have no use for Rose; Booker and Paul are perfectly capable of managing the ball-handling duties, and the roster has other guys who can do so also---they've got nothing to gain from sacrificing their offensive scheme in order to hand Rose the keys. They've got no reason for interest in Plumlee, and neither does anybody else. The same goes for Okafor, who is ineffective on the court and a developmental dead end. Maybe there's some small chance that they'd be interested in Wright, but he's nothing special and would draw a minute return. And, finally, there's the fact that teams don't really "showcase" potentially tradeable players in this fashion; other teams have scouts (and film) for that purpose.

Casey shoveled minutes onto his veterans because that's what he does and that's what he's always done: he leans heavily on his veterans unless he doesn't have that option, and Weaver gave him a lineup full of veterans. I understand the desire to believe that Casey had some rational purpose behind his rotations, but the unfortunate reality is that the Pistons are simply playing under a bad coach.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#173 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:15 am

Bold and in all caps?

That's hilarious on so many levels, not to mention that what you typed is wrong too
Crymson wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Your ability to find the negative in every situation is a skill

Your attempts to moderate opinions here are irritating. WE GET IT: YOU'RE UPSET THAT PEOPLE ARE CRITICAL OF WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THE TEAM. That is exclusively your burden to bear.

Which veterans? The Suns have no use for Blake, and no means to acquire him anyway without surrendering Booker, Ayton, or CP3 in the process. The Suns similarly have no use for Rose; Booker and Paul are perfectly capable of managing the ball-handling duties, and the roster has other guys who can do so also---they've got nothing to gain from sacrificing their offensive scheme in order to hand Rose the keys. They've got no reason for interest in Plumlee, and neither does anybody else. The same goes for Okafor, who is ineffective on the court and a developmental dead end. Maybe there's some small chance that they'd be interested in Wright, but he's nothing special and would draw a minute return. And, finally, there's the fact that teams don't really "showcase" potentially tradeable players in this fashion; other teams have scouts (and film) for that purpose.

Casey shoveled minutes onto his veterans because that's what he does and that's what he's always done: he leans heavily on his veterans unless he doesn't have that option, and Weaver gave him a lineup full of veterans. I understand the desire to believe that Casey had some rational purpose behind his rotations, but the unfortunate reality is that the Pistons are simply playing under a bad coach.

Crymson
Rookie

Post#174 » by Crymson » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:08 am

Pharaoh wrote:Bold and in all caps? That's hilarious on so many levels

It was done with the intent of driving home the point. You've certainly made yourself repeatedly clear on your views.

not to mention that what you typed is wrong too

It isn't. You know that and so does everyone else here. You've been vocally upset that people here have been doubting Weaver's vision and questioning his competence. There's no point in dissembling.

Like I've said, you seem like a nice guy. The way you're conducting yourself around this issue is as obnoxious as it is pointless.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#175 » by ducler » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:12 am

440BB wrote:Blaming the coach for Hayes' hip injury is about as logical as blaming him for the weather.
OK Killian's injury is not about muscles, but my point is: you have more risk at any type of injury if your body is tired. The body is compensating.

I'm OK to tell that there's a big part of bad luck in Killian's injury, but I also say that he could have injured himself by any other way as he was tired.

That was his 5th game in 8 days and he looked exhausted by the half of first quarter. In Europe, he didn't played more than 2 games in 7 days, so that's a big change. Plus, he didn't play competition for 9 months before NBA preseason. That's coaching staff's role to recognize when a player needs rest, in particular for rookies and players with major historical injuries.
So that's why I have some criticism regarding Casey's work with Killian and why I think he has his part of responsibility in the injury.
Jackattaq
Lead Assistant
And1: 246

Post#176 » by Jackattaq » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:23 am

ducler wrote:
440BB wrote:Blaming the coach for Hayes' hip injury is about as logical as blaming him for the weather.
OK Killian's injury is not about muscles, but my point is: you have more risk at any type of injury if your body is tired. The body is compensating.

I'm OK to tell that there's a big part of bad luck in Killian's injury, but I also say that he could have injured himself by any other way as he was tired.

That was his 5th game in 8 days and he looked exhausted by the half of first quarter. In Europe, he didn't played more than 2 games in 7 days, so that's a big change. Plus, he didn't play competition for 9 months before NBA preseason. That's coaching staff's role to recognize when a player needs rest, in particular for rookies and players with major historical injuries.
So that's why I have some criticism regarding Casey's work with Killian and why I think he has his part of responsibility in the injury.

I really couldn’t disagree more with you. It’s like reporting for a new job and telling the foreman, “Yeah, I only work hard on Mondays and Thursdays, I need to rest up on Tues, Wed and Fridays or I may be sore for the weekends. If Hayes didn’t report to work able to play the requirements of the NBA schedule that is on him. His dad was a pro player (albeit Europe) but shouldn’t Killian know better how to prepare? So far, IMO, he is a product of the HYPE MACHINE, he hasn’t shown me anything physically (slow and hurt already) or game wise to show his was worth the 7th overall pick. Blaming the coach because his weak body failed when every new NBA player says this is what I’ve been working towards my whole life is BS. Apparently preparing your body isn’t part of his regime. Blaming Casey for that is weak. BTW, I am not a big Casey fan.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#177 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:06 pm

I do appreciate your judgement of me and my opinions.

If at any point you choose to discuss things feel free.

Might have noticed I'm not shy.
Crymson wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Bold and in all caps? That's hilarious on so many levels

It was done with the intent of driving home the point. You've certainly made yourself repeatedly clear on your views.

not to mention that what you typed is wrong too

It isn't. You know that and so does everyone else here. You've been vocally upset that people here have been doubting Weaver's vision and questioning his competence. There's no point in dissembling.

Like I've said, you seem like a nice guy. The way you're conducting yourself around this issue is as obnoxious as it is pointless.

440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#178 » by 440BB » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:07 pm

ducler wrote:

A hip labral tear is typically caused by trauma, structural abnormality or wear and tear. Unless there were symptoms such as pain or stiffness that the coach knew of and ignored, this rare injury was unforseeable. I understand disappointment with this happening so early in his NBA career but it was likely this cartilage damage was caused by a previous injury or a hip abnormality, not being tired.

It's also possible that Hayes felt some discomfort leading up to the injury, but being 19 and feeling invincible, didn't bring it to anyone's attention.

I don't think anybody is to blame, just his anatomy and the rigors of playing basketball.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver

Return to Detroit Pistons