BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1562 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:43 am

BigSlam wrote:Interesting tweet:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
I'm pretty sure that was my final away message on AIM back in high school.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#1563 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:45 am

I don't think Monk is smart enough to pull off the cryptic messages.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,564

Post#1564 » by fatlever » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:51 am

Jacob
@JacobNBAtalk
Replying to
@AhmadMonk
It’s gonna be walking beside you in China the way you acting
11:39 PM · Jan 9, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,929

Post#1565 » by JDR720 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:47 am

Honestly, he doesn't have a role on the team.

Ball, Gordon, Rozier, Graham (even this years Graham) and both Martin's are better than he is.

Trade him or send him to the Swarm.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#1566 » by Chapelchilla » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:42 pm

fatlever wrote:Jacob
@JacobNBAtalk
Replying to
@AhmadMonk

Thanks for that, good for a morning laugh
And Monk better be paying attention, dude seems to think he is far better then he is
The whole playing time he deserved quotes last week really suited me on him. Dude needs some perspective and self accountability, maybe he can find it before he does end up n China
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#1567 » by James Gatz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:17 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:
fatlever wrote:Jacob
@JacobNBAtalk
Replying to
@AhmadMonk

Thanks for that, good for a morning laugh
And Monk better be paying attention, dude seems to think he is far better then he is
The whole playing time he deserved quotes last week really suited me on him. Dude needs some perspective and self accountability, maybe he can find it before he does end up n China

I think it's unlikely to come while ever playing for us. He's a fun player when he's on, but he's not nearly the player many on this board view him to be. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up after this year. Someone will give him a minimum prove it deal.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1568 » by euphorbus » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:14 pm

Malik Monk has been treated abominably by the Hornets organization. Here are the first-round draft picks from the past few years. All of them but Monk were given a chance to improve themselves in the first two years, with substantial playing time. Only in his third year did Monk get as much playing time as Kaminsky did even in his first season. That year, he had a higher FG% than Kaminsky did in any of his three years, although the latter is a center, and big men have a higher percentage, playing close to the basket. He had a higher FG% and TS% than Bridges did in his second year, in nine fewer minutes per game, but this season has only made it off the bench in one game. Washington performed well last year, but this year is hitting only .430 from the field, despite playing at the five.

Frankly, Monk should ask his agent for a trade. If he ever has a real chance to be successful, it will never be on this team.

Kaminsky
21 MPG FG .410 TS% .513
26.1 FG .399 TS% .502
23.2 FG .429 TS% .545
Monk
13.6 FG .360 TS% .477
17.2 FG .387 TS% .518
21.3 FG .434 TS% .530
Bridges
21.2 FG .464 TS% .548
30.7 FG .424 TS% .520
Washington
30.3 FG .455 TS% .547
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#1569 » by yosemiteben » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:32 pm

Given how JB has utilized every other wing on our roster other than Monk, I think Monk not getting PT suggests there is something unique to Monk that is causing this. Nothing about the way that JB plays guys suggests that he just has some personal beef with Monk that is causing him not to play.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,202

Post#1570 » by amcoolio » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:58 pm

euphorbus wrote:Malik Monk has been treated abominably by the Hornets organization. Here are the first-round draft picks from the past few years. All of them but Monk were given a chance to improve themselves in the first two years, with substantial playing time. Only in his third year did Monk get as much playing time as Kaminsky did even in his first season. That year, he had a higher FG% than Kaminsky did in any of his three years, although the latter is a center, and big men have a higher percentage, playing close to the basket. He had a higher FG% and TS% than Bridges did in his second year, in nine fewer minutes per game, but this season has only made it off the bench in one game. Washington performed well last year, but this year is hitting only .430 from the field, despite playing at the five.

Frankly, Monk should ask his agent for a trade. If he ever has a real chance to be successful, it will never be on this team.

Kaminsky
21 MPG FG .410 TS% .513
26.1 FG .399 TS% .502
23.2 FG .429 TS% .545
Monk
13.6 FG .360 TS% .477
17.2 FG .387 TS% .518
21.3 FG .434 TS% .530
Bridges
21.2 FG .464 TS% .548
30.7 FG .424 TS% .520
Washington
30.3 FG .455 TS% .547

It could be he got caught with cocaine last season and was apparently clubbing and not taking covid seriously this season which made him miss training camp

But that could be just me
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1571 » by DY_nasty » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:09 pm

if we gave monk the leeway and rope we've given pj, miles, and graham this year.....

ijs. dude has legit reason to be upset lol

graham this year has been absolutely terrible. i'm pretty sure even pj hairston was shooting better. all while playing the worst defense of all the guards too? :roll: he couldn't run an offense that got a single FG in 6 minutes against the HAWKS last night man

he's probably wondering what those guys have to do to lose minutes - let alone be banished considering how poorly they've played at times this year.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#1572 » by yosemiteben » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:20 pm

JB is giving minutes to both Martin twins over him. That's the bigger tell IMO.

I highly doubt Monk is confused about his minutes situation.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1573 » by DY_nasty » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 pm

yosemiteben wrote:JB is giving minutes to both Martin twins over him. That's the bigger tell IMO.

I highly doubt Monk is confused about his minutes situation.

I'm not really gonna take aim at those guys because they've done things the right way ever since they got here. Caleb's only getting 15 minutes per game and generally when he plays well, he stays in the game longer than when he plays poorly.

Devonte is in the top 50 for MPG - while at the same time shooting 26%. And what's crazy about that is that he's not in that starting spot by *necessity* anymore. He's still getting guard heavy lineups as if he's value added out there and not getting us crushed. Monk not only never got those coddling/accommodating kinds of lineups we're seeing this year but he never got to launch 8 or more 3s in a game whenever he pleased either.

When Devonte was breaking out last year, we needed him out there to get the offense going. This year - our offense consistently stalls out when he's running the show. Its the exact opposite. It'd be one thing if he simply played bad all by himself like Monk/Miles/PJ do from time to time too, but that's not the case. Graham is so bad at point, that he takes the rest of the offense with him.

So Monk - or anyone for that matter - being frustrated makes plenty of sense. It should be expected. JB is creating this type of thing by playing favorites and to assume that Monk is the only one who feels this way about things isn't reasonable either imo.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,112

Post#1574 » by SWedd523 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:57 pm

euphorbus wrote:Malik Monk has been treated abominably by the Hornets organization. Here are the first-round draft picks from the past few years. All of them but Monk were given a chance to improve themselves in the first two years, with substantial playing time. Only in his third year did Monk get as much playing time as Kaminsky did even in his first season. That year, he had a higher FG% than Kaminsky did in any of his three years, although the latter is a center, and big men have a higher percentage, playing close to the basket. He had a higher FG% and TS% than Bridges did in his second year, in nine fewer minutes per game, but this season has only made it off the bench in one game. Washington performed well last year, but this year is hitting only .430 from the field, despite playing at the five.

Kaminsky
21 MPG FG .410 TS% .513
26.1 FG .399 TS% .502
23.2 FG .429 TS% .545
Monk
13.6 FG .360 TS% .477
17.2 FG .387 TS% .518
21.3 FG .434 TS% .530
Bridges
21.2 FG .464 TS% .548
30.7 FG .424 TS% .520
Washington
30.3 FG .455 TS% .547

At what point does Monk take any responsibility whatsoever?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1575 » by BigSlam » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:59 pm

While Tae hasn’t played well, I think it comes down to Monk having a history of playing recklessly and and making too many mistakes.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1576 » by DY_nasty » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:02 am

BigSlam wrote:While Tae hasn’t played well, I think it comes down to Monk having a history of playing recklessly and and making too many mistakes.

never hurt miles playing time :roll:
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,164

Post#1577 » by KembaWalker » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:03 am

The hornets subreddit is practically unreadable most days cause it goes over their heads that the organization is doing him favor enough to bench him, let him hang out with the team, and not drag his name through the mud with a public release of transgressions. Theres no multi coach conspiracy to tank Malik Monks career. He doesnt do what he's supposed to do to be an NBA player. Monk knows it too which is why most he does is passive aggressively whine on twitter
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1578 » by BigSlam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:22 am

DY_nasty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:While Tae hasn’t played well, I think it comes down to Monk having a history of playing recklessly and and making too many mistakes.

Monk plays street ball and free wheels in a way that is awesome when it works, but is really detrimental to the team when it doesn’t - and with Monk it rarely works.

Mikes plays within the team concept and structure and JB obviously trusts him - hence him giving Miles the toughest defensive assignments last year and this.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1579 » by DY_nasty » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:24 am

KembaWalker wrote:The hornets subreddit is practically unreadable most days cause it goes over their heads that the organization is doing him favor enough to bench him, let him hang out with the team, and not drag his name through the mud with a public release of transgressions. Theres no multi coach conspiracy to tank Malik Monks career. He doesnt do what he's supposed to do to be an NBA player. Monk knows it too which is why most he does is passive aggressively whine on twitter

this year? all he's done is not play

and i don't even like the "he's not being responsible" thing when miles/rozier/mcdaniels are all together shooting rap videos not masked up :lol:

PJ shows up out of shape and its whatever.

If you're being even slightly impartial about it - it doesn't add up. Outside looking in and it makes even less sense. And its going to linger or get worse and involve other guys sooner or later if JB/Mitch don't get out in front of it.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1580 » by DY_nasty » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:30 am

BigSlam wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

Monk plays street ball and free wheels in a way that is awesome when it works, but is really detrimental to the team when it doesn’t - and with Monk it rarely works.

Mikes plays within the team concept and structure and JB obviously trusts him- hence him giving Miles the toughest defensive assignments last year and this.

Miles is still out here taking step back 3s, stumbling over himself, and lob chasing between his bi-weekly good games

the best thing to happen to miles is hayward and lamelo. one doing everything we've asked Miles to do in the past with so much ease that its taken for granted and the other spoonfeeding him to the point where he doesn't go off looking for his own shot as much. But I don't want to get started on Miles here lol

I can't do the just world fallacy with JB on this one. The only reason that Graham could be getting these kinds of minutes is if he's under the impression that Terry is already traded once the recent FA signee limitations are up. "But JB is doing everything right" doesn't work this year. Whether its his own statements on minutes to keep guys healthy, his own criticisms of guys who are currently playing, his past reasonings for benching guys - its not consistent. And while its convenient for it to be JUST Monk on the receiving end, this is the stuff that brews and creates problems that young, low expectation teams shouldn't have to deal with.

Its very likely that Monk isn't the only one frustrated. Believing so is kinda being in denial...

Return to Charlotte Hornets