ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,665

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#881 » by basketballRob » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:29 pm

Cole wasn't my first choice, but i think he's a way better shooter than he's shown. Once again i think he doesn't have his legs. It's like a guy that can easily bench 300 lbs, after his did it over and over without time for recovery, he won't be able to do it easily.

Unfortunately guys are being injured from the lack of awareness by our coaching and performance staffs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,134

Post#882 » by Knightro » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:44 pm

I also think Cole is going to end up being a better shooter than he’s shown.

And ultimately it does make a lot more sense for the Magic organization to at least TRY and see if he can develop his point guard skills over just saying “ok here’s the ball, go try and score” because a 6’2” shooting guard who can’t pass and isn’t an elite shooter or foul drawer has almost no value.

If Anthony’s ultimate destiny is to be a Gary Neal type of low value bench scorer, so be it. But that isn’t a determination the Magic have to make on him right now certainly. It makes more sense to shift him into that role later in his rookie contract after he proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he isn’t capable of developing his point guard skills.

Unfortunately for all of us, what he actually is providing right now on the court is really ugly and isn’t likely to get better too soon. But ultimately I think it’s for the best for his development.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,580

Post#883 » by Skybox » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:28 pm

Austin Rivers-ish...not bad for #15.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,217

Post#884 » by pepe1991 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:35 pm

It's not like he can shoot any worst :dontknow:
31,6 % FG, 17% for 3 it's impossible to be worst
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#885 » by fendilim » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:36 pm

Knightro wrote:I also think Cole is going to end up being a better shooter than he’s shown.

And ultimately it does make a lot more sense for the Magic organization to at least TRY and see if he can develop his point guard skills over just saying “ok here’s the ball, go try and score” because a 6’2” shooting guard who can’t pass and isn’t an elite shooter or foul drawer has almost no value.

If Anthony’s ultimate destiny is to be a Gary Neal type of low value bench scorer, so be it. But that isn’t a determination the Magic have to make on him right now certainly. It makes more sense to shift him into that role later in his rookie contract after he proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he isn’t capable of developing his point guard skills.

Unfortunately for all of us, what he actually is providing right now on the court is really ugly and isn’t likely to get better too soon. But ultimately I think it’s for the best for his development.

Cole haas. Nice shot and a release. Most of his misses arent really bricks tbh. It is usually short or long but the trajectory is nice.

I agree with Rob, he doesnt have the legs now. Obviously the fatigue and he is playing against much taller and longer dudes. Give the guy time to adjust.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,963

Post#886 » by KillMonger » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:58 pm

long way to go....thrust into a role he wasn't ready for, he has definitely hit the rookie wall really early into his career....time is on his side though, there have been good to great players in this league where if you'd look at their rookie year you'd think they'll be out of the league soon
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#887 » by Skin » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:10 pm

He is what I thought he was. But I'm still hoping he proves me wrong.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#888 » by jonbob17 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:21 pm

Skin wrote:He is what I thought he was. But I'm still hoping he proves me wrong.

He will be compared against the Maxey's, Hampton's, Josh Green's of the world by fans. I guess plenty of people were calling for Tyrell Terry too, and Nesmith was not on the board (thank god)...

As bad as his stats have been he has still impressed me. He does have a lot of weaknesses, though.
ucfmay2000
Junior
And1: 50

Post#889 » by ucfmay2000 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm

Terrible pick. Same story for the last 3-4 years. Told you guys, this team front office is just Garbage... bad draft picks, overpaid, top ten highest paid team, can’t develop young players....
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,771

Post#890 » by RookieStar » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:35 pm

TBH, he is less than a chucker than I thought. Now , if we were fully healthy, it would be a good thing but us being decimated as it is.. I want him to go all Kobe 81 mode.

Also , I thought the 3pt shooting was his strength. Beautiful release and form. Why isn't it dropping though?

For the 15th pick and the choices left, it was only Hampton who I would have considered before him so no complaints. Now if we are talking about trading up, that is a different story.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#891 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:44 pm

ucfmay2000 wrote:Terrible pick. Same story for the last 3-4 years. Told you guys, this team front office is just Garbage... bad draft picks, overpaid, top ten highest paid team, can’t develop young players....

Such a weak, terrible take.
We have a rookie, who is 2 years out of HS running starting PG right now.
He isn't shooting good. that is the only issue, JFC some of you guys.

THIS FO and coaching is responsible for Fultz and J.I. as well as Okeke and Cole.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#892 » by nicnac215 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:41 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
ucfmay2000 wrote:Terrible pick. Same story for the last 3-4 years. Told you guys, this team front office is just Garbage... bad draft picks, overpaid, top ten highest paid team, can’t develop young players....

THIS FO and coaching is responsible for Fultz and J.I. as well as Okeke and Cole.

Exactly this. If he was shooting efficiently he would be the leader for ROY easily. Let’s give him some time. If he never improves his shooting then he will be out of the league
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#893 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:38 am

nicnac215 wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:

Exactly this. If he was shooting efficiently he would be the leader for ROY easily. Let’s give him some time. If he never improves his shooting then he will be out of the league

And if Monta Elise could be effective he would be better than Steph Curry.
Every player can put up points if you give him unlimited amount of shots. Take 30 shots, you'll score 20 on accident. That's how basketball works. That's why on bad teams there is always at least 1 " 20 ppg player" who is moved to contender to become... 8 ppg, 20 mpg bench player ( Reggie Jackson, Morris twins, Rozier on Celtics...)

With 11 games played and 111 shots taken, Cole shoots 30,6% from the floor. NBA league's average for three point attemps is over 35%.
His true shooting percentage is whooping 14% below league's average. 14% percent efficiency is twice as big difference than efficiency of Brandon Jennings and Lebron James.

Issue is that everybody who is not over a top fan of him, or just eats whatever front office serves knew what Cole Anthony is. Very small shooting guard who likes to shoot and doesn't get playmaking. His father,himself, was very mediocre nba player who only stick around because he was great guy ( pretty much like JJ Barea ).
In nba he 6 inches shorter than average nba player ( 6'7 ) and even shorter than average nba point guard ( 6'3 ).
But since he really isn't playmaker by any streach of imagination, he should be slotted at SG, and their average size is 6'5.

So at apsolute best he'll be somebody like Devonte Graham, offensive spark off bench ( who now starts until Lamelo takes over ) if he ever gets shooting part right. So far, there is no much evidence that he can shoot from any range.
He shoots 6/33 for 3. That's 18% from 3.

He makes his FTs so it's not like his shot has any mechanical issues, he actually shoots 90% from FT line. That's great thing but also another red flag. it means his shooting mechanic isn't broken. It means he simply does not create any separation to get shots up. Not so suprising, look at Chris Paul Campazzo, Prichard and other small guards, it takes amazing amount of skill to even be in position to shoot.
He also flat out isn't ready for nba right now, let alone starting. Every game he ends up on the floor couple of times, he lacks any strenght.

He is rookie, and it will take time. But first 10 games, he pretty much confirmed everything why people here never mentioned him in conversation for Magic picks.

But it looks to be another draft where we were few spots away from elite pick ( Haliburton, guy is monster) and flat out missed on better alterantative, Maxey. Also didn't pick position of need ( Saddiq Bey and his shooting. )
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,881

Post#894 » by drsd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:52 am

basketballRob wrote:Cole wasn't my first choice, but i think he's a way better shooter than he's shown.

When Fournier returns, we can see how Anthony evolves when he is freed up for more open looks (because Fournier is on the court).

I guess this is the rotation moving forward:

Anthony/Carter-Williams/Bone
Fourier/Ross/Mané
Bacon/Ennis
Gordon/Okeke/Clark
Vučević/Birch/Bamba
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#895 » by Skin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:59 am

Not an alpha dog.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#896 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:31 am

Skin wrote:Not an alpha dog.

your dog Oubre is chivava :oops:
barks but can't bite
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,881

Post#897 » by drsd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:19 am

At #16 a team is drafting for a long-term bench player. Anthony so far has illustrated he can grow in to a 15 mpg backup PG. So how is this a terrible pick?

ucfmay2000
Junior
And1: 50

Post#898 » by ucfmay2000 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:37 pm

drsd wrote:

At #16 a team is drafting for a long-term bench player. Anthony so far has illustrated he can grow in to a 15 mpg backup PG. So how is this a terrible pick?

Maxey and Saddiq Bey are better.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,799

Post#899 » by IllMagic04 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 pm

Way too early to call him a bad pick but so far so bad.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,502

Post#900 » by Bergmaniac » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:35 pm

We've already started using AG as the main ballhandler, not a good sign for Clifford's trust in Cole's PG skills.

And he just can't get any separation against NBA level defenders, which for a guy his size is absolutely essential for being a non-terrible scorer.

Still very early on, of course, he may turn it around, but so far things don't look at all.

Return to Orlando Magic