ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Knicks-Thunder

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,478

Re: PG: Knicks-Thunder 

Post#341 » by j4remi » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:48 pm

https://knicksfantv.com/knicks-89-vs-thunder-101-recap-and-player-reviews/

I had running around today, so I didn’t get to post sooner but recap for the this round. Mitch and Randle get love, everyone else was pretty bad.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,309

Post#342 » by rajajackal » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:06 am

j4remi wrote:https://knicksfantv.com/knicks-89-vs-thunder-101-recap-and-player-reviews/

I had running around today, so I didn’t get to post sooner but recap for the this round. Mitch and Randle get love, everyone else was pretty bad.

which user on here is CP :lol:
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#343 » by DowNY » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:31 am

Future Knick, Victor Oladipo last 4 games:
6/20
8/17
3/16
5/14
:)
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,075

Post#344 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 am

Haven't really been reading the thread. What's the general consensus now? That Thibs will coach us to what would be a 32 win record in an 82 game season - so, about 26 wins, and enough to destroy draft position?

Sounds about Knicks.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#345 » by CharlesOakley » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:36 am

We need more warm bodies. I don't think RJ should be immune from getting the hook from time to time. If you look at his shot chart, he cannot shoot when strait on the basket. 1 make and 16 misses this season so far. I have been underwhelmed with his playmaking since he came into the league and he doesn't look improved from last season in that area. His per 36 is nearly identical as last season except he is shooting worse from everywhere but the line.

I downgrading his ceiling from Jimmy Butler to Caron Butler.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,636

Post#346 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:49 am

CharlesOakley wrote:We need more warm bodies. I don't think RJ should be immune from getting the hook from time to time. If you look at his shot chart, he cannot shoot when strait on the basket. 1 make and 16 misses this season so far. I have been underwhelmed with his playmaking since he came into the league and he doesn't look improved from last season in that area. His per 36 is nearly identical as last season except he is shooting worse from everywhere but the line.

Tuff Juice is a low ceiling.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,123

Post#347 » by DOT » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:44 am

I think people react too quick from game to game

Overall, I think RJ's been a bit disappointing, but this is about what I expected

His issue is, he's either really good or absolute dog sh*t on any given night with no in between

Really, outside of the Milwaukee game, he hasn't had a single game where he's just ok. To me, it just looks like inconsistency, which is to be expected from young guys. Give him some time to work it out, and I think he'll be fine. 3 year rule still applies, even with top picks. Of course, I don't think Thibs is doing him any favors by playing him nearly 40 mpg, and the FO is doing him no favors by putting together such a terrible fitting starting 5 (our best 3pt shooter by % is Randle, who is 3 for his last 20, then 2nd best is Payton which, lol, Mitch can't shoot, and Bullock is inconsistent as hell). Which isn't an excuse, it's a statement of fact that we'd be better if we had a PG who could shoot as well as a SG who could consistently hit even 35% of his 3s. Would help all of RJ, Randle, and Mitch

I never understood why saying we should give a young player a few years before coming to a definitive conclusion on them is "making excuses for them," though. I mean, hell, we got the same people who say RJ needs to be a star right now saying it's too soon to say about Obi, and RJ won't be his age until the last year of his rookie deal. Development takes time and isn't a continual straight line.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,636

Post#348 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:05 am

K-DOT wrote:I think people react too quick from game to game

Overall, I think RJ's been a bit disappointing, but this is about what I expected

His issue is, he's either really good or absolute dog sh*t on any given night with no in between

Really, outside of the Milwaukee game, he hasn't had a single game where he's just ok. To me, it just looks like inconsistency, which is to be expected from young guys. Give him some time to work it out, and I think he'll be fine. 3 year rule still applies, even with top picks. Of course, I don't think Thibs is doing him any favors by playing him nearly 40 mpg, and the FO is doing him no favors by putting together such a terrible fitting starting 5 (our best 3pt shooter by % is Randle, who is 3 for his last 20, then 2nd best is Payton which, lol, Mitch can't shoot, and Bullock is inconsistent as hell). Which isn't an excuse, it's a statement of fact that we'd be better if we had a PG who could shoot as well as a SG who could consistently hit even 35% of his 3s. Would help all of RJ, Randle, and Mitch

I never understood why saying we should give a young player a few years before coming to a definitive conclusion on them is "making excuses for them," though. I mean, hell, we got the same people who say RJ needs to be a star right now saying it's too soon to say about Obi, and RJ won't be his age until the last year of his rookie deal. Development takes time and isn't a continual straight line.
It's not the wait argument. That's eminently sensible if a player has glimpses, but it is the blaming of other players, etc. that people are getting fed up with. RJ can't shoot straight. That isn't on Randle. Thst isn't on Payton. That isn't on Burks. That isn't on beong a spot up shooter. He isn't good in any shooting situation and he gets a ton of attempts in a bunch of scenarios. He's inconsistent.

Personally, I don't see RJ as a foundational piece. He's a second guy to me and I love RJ.
I'd love.him to evolve into a Sprewell or Butler.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,885

Post#349 » by stuporman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:23 am

It's not just that they lost that is most significant for me, it's how they lost....everything was disastrous. The offense, defense and even coaching....it was just a pitiful display. Let's hope they rebound from it and we can chalk it up as growing pains of a youngish team and newly formed situation.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,050

Post#350 » by vallen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:59 am

CharlesOakley wrote:We need more warm bodies. I don't think RJ should be immune from getting the hook from time to time. If you look at his shot chart, he cannot shoot when strait on the basket. 1 make and 16 misses this season so far. I have been underwhelmed with his playmaking since he came into the league and he doesn't look improved from last season in that area. His per 36 is nearly identical as last season except he is shooting worse from everywhere but the line.

The Jimmy Butler comparisons were always a stretch.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,806

Post#351 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:49 am

vallen wrote:

The Jimmy Butler comparisons were always a stretch.

Not a stretch, wrong. Butler is a one on one nightmare end a terrifying defender. RJ is still Tyreke Evans Turner.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,411

Post#352 » by Synciere » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:45 pm

People want to blame spacing or point guard play or youth. At the end of the day we have to admit that RJ has just been bad more than good. It’s not about consistency. Shooting 21% from 3 after shooting 30% last year is consistently bad. If he’s not driving to the basket he looks pretty bad. He can’t run the pick and roll; he doesn’t shoot from midrange; the only spot that’s looking up is his free throw shooting, which was abysmal last year.

Gotta call a spade a spade. There’s a lot to worry about with RJ right now.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#353 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:32 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Haven't really been reading the thread. What's the general consensus now? That Thibs will coach us to what would be a 32 win record in an 82 game season - so, about 26 wins, and enough to destroy draft position?

Sounds about Knicks.

So who you got in the 2024 draft. Point being Buzzard. When? When is it the right time to stop this cycle?

There will be a yr when you'll have to get 36 wins. No rookie is gonna carry you from the worst pick to a title. In fact you'll know when you got a good rookie when you go from whatever is needed to have good draft position to just about 36 wins anyway so again I ask you, when?

When is it OK? You do realize that if we are even in the running for the to pick them by default it must mean RJ and Mitch suck as prospects and everything we've been building up to this point is trash. And then let's say we got Cade Cunningham and we somehow are even in position to land Chet Holgrem the yr after that....... that that mere fact proves that Cade ain't **** either.

We gotta win 36 games just to prove that the players we've already been drafting in the lottery aren't total trash. And unfortunately some are proving they are in spite of the wins which is even more conserning
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#354 » by Jimmit79 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:33 pm

Knicks suck at drafting Frank Knox RJ three years in a row not a single star talent the Steve Mills regime was the worst in Knicks history.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#355 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:Knicks suck at drafting Frank Knox RJ three years in a row not a single star talent the Steve Mills regime was the worst in Knicks history.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Toppin finna be the 4rth. Im not gonna go and say he'll stink and I know he's injured but what's his cieling? Can I even expect a Z-bo level impact player. Will he be better at 25 than Randle was at 25?
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#356 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:38 pm

Jimmy Butler was 27 with two kids as a rookie and still didn’t play his first year. This thing takes time and it won’t be consistent right out the gate.

I know RJ was the 3rd pick overall but he’s right about where our expectations should be.

But I do agree that the excuses (blaming everyone else for his shortcomings) are kinda lame.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#357 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:44 pm

Synciere wrote:People want to blame spacing or point guard play or youth. At the end of the day we have to admit that RJ has just been bad more than good. It’s not about consistency. Shooting 21% from 3 after shooting 30% last year is consistently bad. If he’s not driving to the basket he looks pretty bad. He can’t run the pick and roll; he doesn’t shoot from midrange; the only spot that’s looking up is his free throw shooting, which was abysmal last year.

Gotta call a spade a spade. There’s a lot to worry about with RJ right now.

There are definitely things a good pg would do not only for RJ but the rest of the team but I'll agree in the sense that there can in fact be 2 wrongs.

For instance if we were talking about a 40% 3pt shooting SG everybody would like Peyton just fine. We'd be celebrating his ability to fill a stat sheet, that SGs% would actually equate to more assists for Peyton and so on.....but it still don't change the fact that 99% of other teams wouldn't start Peyton dt his own lack of shooting.

But yes RJ needs to be accountable for RJ. He ain't taking 14 shots amongst 2 iso forwards like last yr. The kids getting 19-22 shot games where people are putting the ball in his hands with time to create. Hes just **** the bed
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,916

Post#358 » by TheGreenArrow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:29 pm

We should’ve traded up for Lamelo folks..

We should’ve traded up for Lamelo!!!!!!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,284

Post#359 » by Zenzibar » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:42 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:We should’ve traded up for Lamelo folks..

Mitch, the #8 and a future #1 and if he would have sucked?

TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,916

Post#360 » by TheGreenArrow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:46 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:We should’ve traded up for Lamelo folks..

Mitch, the #8 and a future #1 and if he would have sucked?

His elite vision and court awareness alone wouldn’t have allowed him to suck.

People were saying his jumpshot was ugly and wouldn’t translate but if he was on our roster he’d be the best shooter in our backcourt outside of Burks lol.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to New York Knicks