ImageImage

Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and sports media) 

Post#181 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:03 pm

Just catching up to this Bill Michaels thing. Obviously we knew consolidation in our local sports media was coming. Small business advertisers hammered with Covid issues and less sporting events taking place the past ten months.

I've met Bill. He's a very smart guy. But yes, he does tend to have a high opinion of himself. Just curious though what did him in. I assumed he got decent ratings, especially with the Packers back rolling. Was the comp package too high?

Other question for those in the know. The Big Show will be on a "statewide network" now, which I assume was the stations that Michaels was on. I thought Bill had created that syndication for his show, in an effort to maintain some independence from what went on at WSSP. That seems to have fallen apart and the Bill Michaels Show network got taken over by the Big Show Network (Have the movie Parasite in my head, since the kids were watching it the other night).
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

Post#182 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:09 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Just catching up to this Bill Michaels thing. Obviously we knew consolidation in our local sports media was coming. Small business advertisers hammered with Covid issues and less sporting events taking place the past ten months.

I've met Bill. He's a very smart guy. But yes, he does tend to have a high opinion of himself. Just curious though what did him in. I assumed he got decent ratings, especially with the Packers back rolling. Was the comp package too high?

Other question for those in the know. The Big Show will be on a "statewide network" now, which I assume was the stations that Michaels was on. I thought Bill had created that syndication for his show, in an effort to maintain some independence from what went on at WSSP. That seems to have fallen apart and the Bill Michaels Show network got taken over by the Big Show Network (Have the movie Parasite in my head, since the kids were watching it the other night).

Bill's statement made it seem like he stepped away due to outside/life reasons and that WSSP did not actually let him go.
#FreeChuckDiesel
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#183 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:13 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:Bill's statement made it seem like he stepped away due to outside/life reasons and that WSSP did not actually let him go.

Your reply was helpful. Pointed me to this story -> https://www.distractify.com/p/what-happened-bill-michaels

Conflicting reports out there.

ETA: This line tells me he was let go. The code is "Brief Break" That means he has to sit out a certain period of time due his contractual situation.

https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/bill-michaels-out-1220-the-fan

"After more than two decades on Milwaukee airwaves, longtime local sports radio personality Bill "The Big Unit" Michaels is out at 1250 AM The Fan in what the host calls "a brief break from the airwaves."

StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#184 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:19 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:Bill's statement made it seem like he stepped away due to outside/life reasons and that WSSP did not actually let him go.

Your reply was helpful. Pointed me to this story -> https://www.distractify.com/p/what-happened-bill-michaels

Conflicting reports out there.

ETA: This line tells me he was let go. The code is "Brief Break" That means he has to sit out a certain period of time due his contractual situation.

https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/bill-michaels-out-1220-the-fan

"After more than two decades on Milwaukee airwaves, longtime local sports radio personality Bill "The Big Unit" Michaels is out at 1250 AM The Fan in what the host calls "a brief break from the airwaves."

Like you said, conflicting reports. Couldn't "brief break" also mean, "I have to figure out some things in my life but I'd like to return to radio"?
#FreeChuckDiesel
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,590

Post#185 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:19 pm

I didn't realize he got a divorce from that hot blonde lady. How'd he manage to eff that up?

On a side note: Jim Owczarski might be the worst media person I've heard try to ask questions. Everything is a jumbled rant before he asks his leading questions that he basically answers when asking lol.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#186 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:42 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:
Like you said, conflicting reports. Couldn't "brief break" also mean, "I have to figure out some things in my life but I'd like to return to radio"?

Very well could. At the same time, I've seen enough radio/TV people use the "I need a break for personal reasons" and then usually they show up on a competing station literally one day after a non-compete expires.

In many cases, the person got into some sort of personality conflict with management and the best outcome was a parting of ways, with the media personality being bought out, but subject to a contractual cool off period, so they don't poach listeners.

Recall in 2005 when Homer got into it with WISN, and had time to run on his contract. At first they banished him to a late night slot, in an effort to get him to quit. They also didn't want him taking his audience immediately to a competitor. Finally it became untenable for both parties. Then he took a "break". A month later he's on WAUK, and the story was his severance terms required the "sit out" period.

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,275

Post#187 » by HKPackFan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:18 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I didn't realize he got a divorce from that hot blonde lady. How'd he manage to eff that up?

On a side note: Jim Owczarski might be the worst media person I've heard try to ask questions. Everything is a jumbled rant before he asks his leading questions that he basically answers when asking lol.

Worse than Charlie? :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
#FreeChuckDiesel
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#188 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Prayers for a fast recovery for Charles Gardner, or more appropriately thanks that he was rescued.

Back on December 30th he was walking on the frozen Pike Lake in Washington County and fell through. He almost drowned until City of Hartford rescue teams could get to him, and pull him out.

Man rescued from Pike Lake says “Thanks” | By Steve Volkert
By Steve Volkert -January 9, 202103332

January 9, 2021 – Hartford, WI – Charles Gardner, the gentleman rescued from the frozen waters of Pike Lake on December 30, 2020 reached out to the Hartford Fire and Rescue Department to say “thank you” for saving his life.
Hartford ice rescue, rescued

Gardner had been out on the lake roughly 100 yards from shore wearing snowshoes when the ice gave way. He had been in the water up to 35 minutes attempting to call for help when a couple walking the trails in the State Park heard his pleas.

“I just could not hang on any longer and I thought to myself I have lived a good life and this is it,” Gardner said. “I was about to let go when I heard those sirens coming. I guess that just motivated me to hang on a little longer. I remember your guys yelling instructions to me but I knew I would not last much longer.”

Gardner was removed from the ice and taken to the Hartford Hospital hele-pad prior to being airlifted to Froedtert Hospital – Milwaukee.

Gardner reported in his call he is out of the hospital and on the road to recovery.

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,375

Post#189 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:15 pm

Holy crap, I had heard the Pike Lake story originally but I didn’t hear that it was Gardner.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#190 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:32 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
Other question for those in the know. The Big Show will be on a "statewide network" now, which I assume was the stations that Michaels was on. I thought Bill had created that syndication for his show, in an effort to maintain some independence from what went on at WSSP. That seems to have fallen apart and the Bill Michaels Show network got taken over by the Big Show Network

WSSP created that statewide network along with Bill Michaels as a workaround of the non-compete clause Bill Michaels had with WTMJ. The show was produced and broadcast from WSSP studios. It was considered a big win for WSSP and I've heard that Sparky played a significant role in coming up with that idea and making it happen (but that is not something I heard from him, so please don't take it as such).
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#191 » by DavidDunn21 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 am

The Bucksketball Reunion:
https://anchor.fm/teutonia-world/episodes/The-Bucksketball-Reunion-ep461l

I found especially the second half of this fascinating
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#192 » by emunney » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:51 pm

Lots of twitter discourse about the ridiculous Shaq thing on Inside the NBA last night. I agree that it was obnoxious and Shaq generally is a simpleton (or plays one), but most of the discussion is framed around the idea "and you wonder why ratings are down." But ratings are way up?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Jimmmycrackcorn
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#193 » by Jimmmycrackcorn » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:13 pm

emunney wrote:Lots of twitter discourse about the ridiculous Shaq thing on Inside the NBA last night. I agree that it was obnoxious and Shaq generally is a simpleton (or plays one), but most of the discussion is framed around the idea "and you wonder why ratings are down." But ratings are way up?

i missed it...what did he say?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,590

Post#194 » by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:17 pm

Jimmmycrackcorn wrote:
emunney wrote:Lots of twitter discourse about the ridiculous Shaq thing on Inside the NBA last night. I agree that it was obnoxious and Shaq generally is a simpleton (or plays one), but most of the discussion is framed around the idea "and you wonder why ratings are down." But ratings are way up?

i missed it...what did he say?

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,124

Post#195 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:46 pm

Matches Malone wrote:WSSP finally kicked Bill Michaels to the curb. Big Show moving to Middays and they'll announce a new afternoon show.

The only time I ever listened to Michaels was when I knew Adam McCalvey was coming on. He will not be missed.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,124

Post#196 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:Tim Allen and Ramie is the new afternoon show.

They're better than the big show. Leroy is simply terrible. I doubt any other station in any other state would put him on the air.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#197 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:10 pm

Really need Kane and/or Frank on LOB. I’ve listened to the first 15 mins of the episode after last night’s loss to the Raptors and I don’t think Justin Garcia has said anything of substance.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,947

Post#198 » by RiotPunch » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:00 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:Really need Kane and/or Frank on LOB. I’ve listened to the first 15 mins of the episode after last night’s loss to the Raptors and I don’t think Justin Garcia has said anything of substance.

Kane is like a young Aussie Paschke these days.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#199 » by Ill-yasova » Thu Mar 4, 2021 11:46 am

This pod is from after the Bucks/Clippers game and it’s one of the best X’s and O’s Breakdowns I’ve heard on any podcast. Stick around for the rest of the podcast too because it’s really interesting. The podcast is called The Dunker Spot for those who don’t have Spotify. Follow Nekias Duncan on Twitter too, he’s one of my favorite follows as an overall NBA coverage guy.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6zeXUbega163OxhQ1brqok?si=wdmUrY9rQpWm8mvNce022A&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A4ci0WrkZSWvKPjBCCMSlJe
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#200 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:41 pm

I like Chuck, but one area where he was deficient was his ability to host the morning show on his own, when his partner(s) would go on vacation. Always got a kick out of the fact that Wickett could take it solo when Chuck was on vacation, and when Wickett would be out, they'd need a bunch of people to assist Chuck.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

All that said, still think we need consolidation in the local sports talk area. Way too many guys on the air, and the talent is diluted.

And do we even have a Bucks postgame show anymore? Loved Sparky and Gery back in the day, but the show itself seems to have gone by the wayside.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks