ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #10: Miami Heat @ Washington Wizards 1/9/2021 7:00PM

SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,163

Re: GT #10: Miami Heat @ Washington Wizards 1/9/2021 7:00PM 

Post#161 » by SA37 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:07 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:It's still extremely disappointing that the defense is so terrible. ...We have a team of pretty smart guys, and all but Lopez, Westbrook and Avdija were on the team last year running the same system. Why are they so clueless?

Rhetorical question. The answer is coaching.

Coaching is one of those activities where a broad spectrum of practitioners are pretty close to one another, & it's much easier to be worse than those guys than it is to be better than them.

Only a very very few NBA coaches have a provable positive effect on their teams as compared to the results you'd get from that "broad spectrum." We are not likely to get one of those very very few guys. But, that doesn't mean that we need to have one of that other group -- the guys who manage to make their players worse.

The coaching choice has to go beyond Xs and Os and is really about creating a positive dynamic with the team, forming good relationships with players, and building a culture. Just about any coach is going to be solid with their Xs and Os.

Van Gundy and Spoelstra in Miami, Nick Nurse in Toronto, Brad Stevens in Boston, Popovich in San Antonio were all hired internally. They all have different styles, but you have to pick someone who you can trust and will stick with for several years. Firing a coach for not meeting some short-term goal is short-sighted and leads to a merry-go-round in leadership, which does not give a franchise the stability it needs.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#162 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:10 pm

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Robinson now has a -15.8 net rating

Mathews now has a 18.3 rating

Guess who has played twice as many minutes as the other???

Jerome Robinson isn't a good player. But, he had quite a good game last night.

So, maybe you should pick another occasion on which to waste your brain cycles on critiquing him?

We started Robinson and played him the same amount of minutes as Mathews (23), and he ended up a team worst -17, while Mathews was +11.

We lost by 4 points. I wonder if playing Mathews for a few more of those Robinson minutes would've changed the outcome? Or maybe playing Bonga instead?

My criticism isn’t for Robinson, it’s for the guy that continues to play him.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#163 » by Dat2U » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:16 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:It's still extremely disappointing that the defense is so terrible. ...We have a team of pretty smart guys, and all but Lopez, Westbrook and Avdija were on the team last year running the same system. Why are they so clueless?

Coaching is one of those activities where a broad spectrum of practitioners are pretty close to one another, & it's much easier to be worse than those guys than it is to be better than them.

Only a very very few NBA coaches have a provable positive effect on their teams as compared to the results you'd get from that "broad spectrum." We are not likely to get one of those very very few guys. But, that doesn't mean that we need to have one of that other group -- the guys who manage to make their players worse.

Its a different sport but ask WFT if coaching matters. A record of 7-9 is not much different statistically from any other mediocre season they had under Gruden but any observer would tell you the coaching change had a dramatic impact and helped get the most of out a limited bunch. Ron Rivera has been successful in setting the culture going forward.

No matter the sport, a coach will not overcome a poorly put together roster. But there are coaches who can get more than the sum of total talent on a roster. There are some the simply can simply hold the fort and be incredibly average and there are others who range from below average to incompetent that will cause a team to be less than the sum of their parts. I believe Brooks is clearly in the last category.

A coaching change won't make this team a contender but it could squeeze some additional wins out the roster. It could help the team make at least a playoff run to try to keep Beal. A coach could realize Westbrook shouldn't be on the floor with non-shooters or that playing Beal or Westbrook at SF is not ideal. This might help Westbrook get back to the player he was last season. A coach might have realized the skill difference b/w the guy with a Robinson jersey on and the guy in the Mathews jersey and not have played one while basically ignoring the other. I could go on and on.

I will say this. Going from Eddie Jordan to Flip to Wittman to Brooks probably hasn't made much of a difference over the years. As long as these are the type of hires then you may be right. I can't remember the last time this organization had a capable coach. I thought Doug Collins was decent in some aspects but he was MJs assistant/bitch in reality. Leonard Hamilton, Gar Heard... we've had some guys that never had a chance lol. You really have to go back to Dick Motta & KC Jones to find guys who could at least hold the fort.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#164 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:35 pm

Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Its a different sport but ask WFT if coaching matters. A record of 7-9 is not much different statistically from any other mediocre season they had under Gruden but any observer would tell you the coaching change had a dramatic impact and helped get the most of out a limited bunch. Ron Rivera has been successful in setting the culture going forward....

Couldn't agree more. Are there a lot of coaches like that? Or are they in short supply?

Dat2U wrote:No matter the sport, a coach will not overcome a poorly put together roster. But there are coaches who can get more than the sum of total talent on a roster. There are some the simply can simply hold the fort and be incredibly average and there are others who range from below average to incompetent that will cause a team to be less than the sum of their parts. I believe Brooks is clearly in the last category....

Yes, I believe that was more or less my point.

Dat2U wrote:A coaching change won't make this team a contender but it could squeeze some additional wins out the roster. It could help the team make at least a playoff run to try to keep Beal. A coach could realize Westbrook shouldn't be on the floor with non-shooters or that playing Beal or Westbrook at SF is not ideal. This might help Westbrook get back to the player he was last season. A coach might have realized the skill difference b/w the guy with a Robinson jersey on and the guy in the Mathews jersey and not have played one while basically ignoring the other. I could go on and on.

I will say this. Going from Eddie Jordan to Flip to Wittman to Brooks probably hasn't made much of a difference over the years. As long as these are the type of hires then you may be right. I can't remember the last time this organization had a capable coach. I thought Doug Collins was decent in some aspects but he was MJs assistant/bitch in reality. Leonard Hamilton, Gar Heard... we've had some guys that never had a chance lol. You really have to go back to Dick Motta & KC Jones to find guys who could at least hold the fort.

Really, you are saying what I was saying.... Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Brooks seems to be a terrible coach. Let's get a competent one.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,012

Post#165 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:41 pm

↑↑↑↑↑

At this point, (and IMO the season is done), this should be done next year after getting us a high draft pick this year. At this point, I don't think there is a better coach to make sure we tank this year than Brooks. Literally the guy off the street would get us more wins.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#166 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:48 pm

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,111

Post#167 » by J-Ves » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:03 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Every team the Wizards play have players out with COVID the next day...

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261125/Heat-Celtics-Game-Postponed-As-Heat-Do-Not-Have-Required-Eight-Players-Available

Jerome Robinson is a super spreader

Return to Washington Wizards