ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Oubre PRONTO.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
And1: 281

Re: Trade Oubre PRONTO. 

Post#121 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:21 am

Anthony Slater kind of predicted Oubre's 3 point woes in breaking down Oubre's 3s from last season https://theathletic.com/2211156/2020/11/20/kelly-oubre-warriors-fit/:

But 19 still means he’s capable, even if he’s not Thompson. It’s part of his arsenal. Oubre has become a better 3-point shooter as he’s matured. He hit 31 and 28 percent his first two seasons in Washington. He spiked that to 32 his first season in Phoenix and then to a career-high 35 percent last season on a healthy 5.5 attempts per game.

The splits are a bit cockeyed. Oubre was actually better on pull-up 3s (38 percent) than catch-and-shoot types (34 percent) last season. He actually had better success when a defender was within 2-4 feet (43 percent) than when nobody was within four feet (34 percent). So the kind of looks the Warriors would ideally want to get Oubre — wide open, catch-and-shoots created by Curry’s gravity — isn’t his strength.

Oubre just isn't good with what we're asking him to do based on past experience and is his D really that great to offset his weakness?

Also, makes you wonder if the Warriors still have an analytics person on staff who did the due diligence prior to giving up a potential first round pick --albeit a late one -- for him.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#122 » by azwfan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:38 am

Sam Lowry Jr wrote:Anthony Slater kind of predicted Oubre's 3 point woes in breaking down Oubre's 3s from last season https://theathletic.com/2211156/2020/11/20/kelly-oubre-warriors-fit/:

But 19 still means he’s capable, even if he’s not Thompson. It’s part of his arsenal. Oubre has become a better 3-point shooter as he’s matured. He hit 31 and 28 percent his first two seasons in Washington. He spiked that to 32 his first season in Phoenix and then to a career-high 35 percent last season on a healthy 5.5 attempts per game.

The splits are a bit cockeyed. Oubre was actually better on pull-up 3s (38 percent) than catch-and-shoot types (34 percent) last season. He actually had better success when a defender was within 2-4 feet (43 percent) than when nobody was within four feet (34 percent). So the kind of looks the Warriors would ideally want to get Oubre — wide open, catch-and-shoots created by Curry’s gravity — isn’t his strength.

Oubre just isn't good with what we're asking him to do based on past experience and is his D really that great to offset his weakness?

Also, makes you wonder if the Warriors still have an analytics person on staff who did the due diligence prior to giving up a potential first round pick --albeit a late one -- for him.

I'd be ecstatic if Oubre was shooting 32% from 3 right now. Slater didn't come close to predicting 13% from 3.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#123 » by Old_Blue » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:19 am

Quazza wrote:Coxy really meant this one too. Messaged me ..."i know you like your scrub jerseys, but you fkn better not get an Oubre "

:lol:

Spending good money now on an Oubre Warriors jersey would be like buying Pets.com stock circa 2000.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#124 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:27 am

For Oubre to get back to like 33% he has to shoot an insane number from here on out. That would help us win some games for sure.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#125 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:19 am

What do Suns fans say? 82 games makes Oubre look like a positive in 2019 and a negative in 2020.

Changing teams creates confusion. I am not ready to trash a guy after 6 games.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#126 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 am

Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#127 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:22 pm

Samurai wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:I don’t think we will trade Oubre, he’s good on defense and you need that in playoff matchups. I thought he did great on Lillard in game 2 and Fox.

I will say he seems like he’s in a big funk. I haven’t been able to figure out how Oubre averaged almost 20ppg a game last year, that means he was either consistently getting around 20 or he was inconsistent with 30 point games and low scoring games. Can you imagine getting 30 from Oubre every other game?

Just eyeballed his game log from last season; looks pretty consistent. He only had 3 games where he scored less than 10 points and those were due to just not shooting (don't know why) rather than shooting poorly. He only had one really bad game where he scored 1 point in 19 minutes (0-5 shooting including 0-4 from deep) but that looks like a real outlier. And (surprisingly) he only had 7 games in which he did not hit a 3-pointer. He actually had games where he shot 7-10, 5-9 and 7-9 from deep. So looking at the game logs, there is nothing there that I could see that could have foreshadowed the kind of shooting we are seeing from him this season. I'm the farthest thing imaginable from a data scientist, but I would guess that they would say that it is inevitable that the stats will start to even out. The question is how much more agony do we have to endure before that happens.

Oubre didn’t have a single instance last season where he had multiple games in a row of 0-fers from the 3 point line. That’s happened twice now through 9 games.

On a Warriors Discord chat somebody pulled up a shot charr of Oubre’s from last year. He was borderline elite shooting threes above the break and from the wings and rather mediocre relative to league average in the corners. Historically Oubre is also more effective shooting threes off of the dribble than he is catch and shoot. This year what type of threes is he getting? Mostly ones from the corner. That doesn’t entirely explain his historic slump, but I think that’s some interesting context.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#128 » by East Bay Sports » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:28 pm

Sam Lowry Jr wrote:Anthony Slater kind of predicted Oubre's 3 point woes in breaking down Oubre's 3s from last season https://theathletic.com/2211156/2020/11/20/kelly-oubre-warriors-fit/:

I mean sure that would be great if he was shooting 34% and we were bitching. 34% on catch and shoot sounds **** great right about now. The issue is he is shooting like 4%
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#129 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:06 pm

The missed 3s don't bug me as much as him stopping the offense and taking bad shots. On the plus side he is learning and adjusting to the Warriors system. Don't be so quick to move on from a player ... after the first week people were giving up on everyone on this team including Curry.

Right now the Warriors are doing a little too good to keep their pick next year and the Wolves are doing a little too bad for the Warriors to get their pick.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#130 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:19 pm

We don’t have to move on. But we do need to adjust the role.

For the love of Steph
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#131 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:22 pm

I know it's not the cool thing to say but...we need to be as patient with Oubre as Kerr is being. Kerr has earned that right with 5 trips to the Finals and 3 rings. Nobody's perfect but Kerr is as close to it as they come.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#132 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:33 pm

I get that, but at the same time, it’s clear as day to me, that Pubre does not fit in the starting lineup if Draymond is out there.

But an energy role off the bench would be perfect for him. Wanamaker, Lee, Mulder, Oubre, and Paschall gives you balance on both sides of the ball. And Oubre gives the bench a guy who can guard four positions.

It’s not a huge demotion anyhow, because of Llay were here and Oubre were here, Oubre WOULD be coming off the bench.

If we keep him, it’s as a bench player. So why not put him in his role?
Khoee wrote “
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#133 » by likashing » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:34 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:I know it's not the cool thing to say but...we need to be as patient with Oubre as Kerr is being. Kerr has earned that right with 5 trips to the Finals and 3 rings. Nobody's perfect but Kerr is as close to it as they come.

I disagree. New team. New system. Dude is having difficulties 9 games in. Waive him immediately! Pronto!
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#134 » by Coxy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:07 pm

likashing wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:I know it's not the cool thing to say but...we need to be as patient with Oubre as Kerr is being. Kerr has earned that right with 5 trips to the Finals and 3 rings. Nobody's perfect but Kerr is as close to it as they come.

I disagree. New team. New system. Dude is having difficulties 9 games in. Waive him immediately! Pronto!

Lol at "difficulties".
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,035

Post#135 » by Jester_ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:14 pm

Coxy's personal heaven is replacing Oubre and Wanamaker for prime Anthony Tolliver
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#136 » by mos_def » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Jester_ wrote:Coxy's personal heaven is replacing Oubre and Wanamaker for prime Anthony Tolliver

I would take Oubre playing like Reggie Williams off that team lol
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#137 » by FNQ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:37 pm

likashing wrote:

:lol: I definitely get that vibe, but I wonder.. what do we think is the best case here? I still think he's Pietrus, where he's gonna give you a very aesthetically pleasing play so often, can play good defense, but will also make you question how he can tie his shoes in the morning.

When you have a player with a consistent problem - someone like Wiggins - I think Kerr can work with that. But Oubre's kind of a manic player, and working with that seems to be laced with millions of variables, and at a certain point you have to wash your hands of it, because you spend so much time/energy catering to that person instead of the team and its success

I have trouble seeing him as a successful cog in the machine here. He's not a shooter, but he wont stop shooting. He's not a creator, but he still drives a ton into help defense. He has Steph yelling at him for things everyone should know - but hasnt corrected them yet (not the first time he's forgotten to screen Steph's man in the corner). There's not a lot of room for optimism with him at this point, and I mean that as someone who's seen these Pietrus-esque flashes in PHX last year
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#138 » by Coxy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:38 pm

Jester_ wrote:Coxy's personal heaven is replacing Oubre and Wanamaker for prime Anthony Tolliver

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#139 » by FNQ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:01 pm

Why not just trade them for LeBron while we're at it :roll:

Yes, we'd all love King Tolly back in our graces, but if he were here, who'd be breaking Wilt Chamberlain's record of women he's slept with? Who'd be living in Chuck Norris' closet and giving HIM nightmares?
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#140 » by Samurai » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:05 pm

Oubre's (lack of) shooting is the most obviously visible source of frustration for me. But in second place, and rapidly rising among my frustration, is his passing. Oubre is averaging 0.6 assists/game. Not a misprint. Only one with less is Wiseman, a rookie who has played 12 games since high school and is obviously still learning what "NBA" even stands for. By comparison, JTA is averaging 1.6 in about half the minutes per game. Kerr stresses a motion offense with a lot of passing and having a 'black hole' that won't pass and can't shoot just doesn't offset the defensive skill and energy he brings. A ball-stopper that cannot shoot just destroys any type of offensive rhythm and seems to be a big cause as to why our 1st unit constantly starts the game by digging a big hole that our 2nd unit has to claw out of.

The image in my head is Curry dribbling, ball goes to Oubre in the corner, Curry goes to relocate and looks for a return pass. Instead, Oubre is either bricking the corner 3 (which prevents him from being able to get back on D) or is trying to iso his man just so he can take a step back and is called for stepping out of bounds. Curry is learning that there won't ever be a return pass if the ball is in Oubre's hands.

Return to Golden State Warriors