ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,737

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1281 » by phillynative » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:10 pm

VDT wrote:Yes to a degree his huge improvement, compared to his pre draft status, defensively is a red flag. It means that he works hard, is willing to do all the little things and generally plays winning basketball. His lack of a significant offensive improvement might be related to intrinsic flaws he has (relatively small wingspan, mediocre/bad touch in the paint, bad shooting ability etc) and which might be much harder or impossible to fix.

Thats an interesting take. If hes putting in the work like everyone says he is than why are we not seeing any display of improvement to his
offensive game( this not even just him shooting 3's). Im happy the sixers have him hes talented and atleast a big trade piece if sixers decide to split.Buut im not going to put on blinders to his outright inability to add to his offensive game.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#1282 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:47 pm

If Doc and Sam aren't intrigued about how Ben's form looks like when he shoots right handed then they are not doing their jobs properly when it comes to Ben potentially developing a jumper imo. Lebron and Westbrook are both left-handed but shoot with their right hand. Is it a coincidence that both are average free throw shooters and inconsistent from three (more so Russ)???
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,859

Post#1283 » by Stanford » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Basketball genius
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#1284 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Sadly, I believe this. But its not that bad. He just doesnt spend more time than others. I mean, he’s always in good shape
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,589

Post#1285 » by Iverson Armband » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:43 pm

:)
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sadly, I believe this. But its not that bad. He just doesnt spend more time than others. I mean, he’s always in good shape

It’s obvious, in that he STILL can’t shoot FTs at a respectable rate. That is one of the easier things to get better at if you just put in the work. 70% from the charity stripe is not unreasonable at all.
always a jump shot away.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#1286 » by Black Mage » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:29 pm

I dunno about that. You don't get to be this good defensively if you don't work on it and put in time and effort.

Also, his form has improved. This feels like someone carrying some water for Celtics to entice Rox.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,589

Post#1287 » by Iverson Armband » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:38 pm

Black Mage wrote:I dunno about that. You don't get to be this good defensively if you don't work on it and put in time and effort.

Also, his form has improved. This feels like someone carrying some water for Celtics to entice Rox.

Defense is a mindset more than anything.
always a jump shot away.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#1288 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:38 pm

Currently tied for 1st in DBMP with Bam Adebayo and Myles Turner.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#1289 » by elchengue20 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:05 am

I absolutely believe this. Don't saying he doesn't put any work and doesn't care, just he doesn't put the necessary amount of work. He just doesn't have the will to improve at all cost that you see in most elite players.

To reach his top 5/10 player ceilling people thougt he had in his first years in the league, he needs to be a gym rat.Even more with his broken jumper.He just doesn't have that kind of mentality.

Defensively the game comes much easier for him. He's a 6'10 guard who has great speed and lateral mobility, with a little work and effort he has all the tools to be great.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1290 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:15 am

This is his first season without cancer Brett Brown. Too early to judge his work ethic after Brett ruined him mentally, but it is understandable people wanting to sell high (or medium) right now.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1291 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:18 am

Black Mage wrote:I dunno about that. You don't get to be this good defensively if you don't work on it and put in time and effort.

He works to get in shape. But NBA stars also works a lot more in their game. And Ben likely dont work on his game, he likely just works on his body and conditioning.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 537

Post#1292 » by sodmoraes » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:50 am

Ben is scoring less and his ft % didnt improve this year. I think we can scrap the Idea of him being a decent shooter in his nba stint.

In my opinion he's best suited as the 3rd best player in a great team. He's a good passer and a great defensive player, but he will never be a scorer and thats the role of the best players of a team. He's like a super role player, imagine him playing with the prime Warriors with Curry and Klay, he would really thrive( legit question: is he even better that prime draymond?).

This is a scorer's league, we saw what Beal did yesterday. A great defender will never be as impactful as a great scorer, as we saw Kawhi against the Raptors. Since Ben isnt a scorer we expect Tobias to do more than he's capable, but he isnt suited to be a big time scorer... Embiid is a good scorer but he's a post player , so in the playoffs you cant have him as a closer .

Can we even trade him for Harden( even with a lot of picks)? If im Houston i would prefer to get Jaylen Brown than Simmons. It seems the league is catching up with Ben's limitations , so i dont think he has that much value as we think.

In a perfect world, we can trade him for Harden and be real contenders, but if we cant we should really try to move him for lesser players , like Beal. With how Maxeys is playing, i would do this trade easily, Tyrese will be good. Hell, i would probably trade Simmons for Lavine and Otto Porter...

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1293 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:04 am

I like how Doc is using Ben. Letting him focus more on defense and our transition. Both have been big reasons for our recent success.

Initially, I thought Ben’s value will dip with how his scoring is taking a hit. You can say he is even getting exposed on his weak halfcourt offense skills.

I find that Doc has shown the league how valuable Ben can be with how Ben plays defense that it allows your big to step out and carries our transition offense (20% of our offense). Biid wouldn’t be able to step out on defense and our transition offense won’t be as good without Ben.

He is a good player.

BUT..

If you can trade him for Harden, it’s a no brainer.

AND..

If you want to be a champion, you need atleast a couple of superstars. Even Morey knows this and his entire career is based on this. Ben is not a superstar. I define a superstar as a player who can singlehandedly carry his team. This is why superstars are mostly scorers, given how the league empowers scorers. He’s a very good supplementary player to a superstar.

If you can trade for a superstar without trading Biid or Ben, you do it. But if not, you have to trade Ben.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,119

Post#1294 » by eyeatoma » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:10 pm

Ummmmm.... Should we be worried?

Read on Twitter
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Post#1295 » by youngcrev » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:16 pm

eyeatoma wrote:Ummmmm.... Should we be worried?

Read on Twitter

I thought I was reassured this was made up? :wink:
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1296 » by eyeatoma » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:21 pm

youngcrev wrote:

Read on Twitter

LOL, I wouldn't be laughing bro. Most thought it was, as well as the twitter beat writers. This would be the worst case scenario, if it's actually serious. But yes, I did think it was made up :lol:
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Post#1297 » by youngcrev » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:33 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Read on Twitter

LOL, I wouldn't be laughing bro. Most thought it was, as well as the twitter beat writers. This would be the worst case scenario, if it's actually serious. But yes, I did think it was made up :lol:

Ha, just messing with you. It was a sensible conclusion. Hard to imagine there's much there if he's getting a day-to-day listing, but this is the Sixers afterall.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1298 » by eyeatoma » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:40 pm

youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Ha, just messing with you. It was a sensible conclusion. Hard to imagine there's much there if he's getting a day-to-day listing, but this is the Sixers afterall.

Haha, no worries, I was actually expecting a response from you. I had it coming!
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#1299 » by Black Mage » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:21 am

Wow, really thought Ben and Joel being out were just Covid reasons. Now I have no idea. Gotta say, if it's the knee again that's worrisome and he's starting to have some questions about his ability to stay healthy.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#1300 » by sixers hoops » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:09 am

eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Haha, no worries, I was actually expecting a response from you. I had it coming!

Was the theory the Sixers made up the injuries to get the game canceled? If that was the case, why did they say Mike Scott was active when he wasn’t?

I don’t get it. They went with 7 because they legit didn’t have 8 healthy players.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers