Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Re: Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock 

Post#881 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:34 am

Get rid of everyone and trade everyone else for Watson
Brothaman33
Senior
And1: 443

Post#882 » by Brothaman33 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:36 am

dice wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
dice wrote:it doesn't make much sense that a GM would be excellent at drafting the middle rounds but not the first 2 rounds. i think it's just random variation. to simplify, his overall drafting record is good, his overall free agent record is not

I disagree. This speaks to me that Pace can't out compete his peers at the top the draft (where most value is placed). From Kevin White to Leonard Floyd to Adam Shaheen to the worst blunder in modern NFL football trading up for Mitch Trubisky over Pat Mahomes or Deshaun Watson. Where he shines is down in the weeds. Where attention and variability increases drastically, then he has found steals.

Pace would be a solid scout on any staff for sure. But as a C-Level decision determining GM, he's just brutal.

isn't it HIS scouts that are down in the weeds? i sincerely doubt that he's spending a lot of his time watching game tape on small school prospects

Kevin White was got injured. I thinks it's unfair to blame all of his short comings on Pace. Pace didnt get him injured, and most everyone liked that pick at the time.

Leonard Floyd wasnt resigned, but its again hard to say he's been a complete bust. He hasn't, and had moments with us and has been better with the Rams.

Shaheen I'll agree with. Cool.

We've been over the Trubisky thing time after time. My point with Pace is at LEAST be fair in the evaluation. He isn't "brutal".

Nichols, Miller, Daniels, Roquan, Shelley, Montgomery, Mooney, Johnson and Kmet have all been in the last 3 years. If you read the comments you would think its been a toddler drafting for us the last 3 years.

If you wanna fire him, fine, but he isn't the Ryan Leaf of GM's...and Trubisky isn't Ryan Leaf either.
"Thibs and Deng make Skiles and Duhon look like a one night stand" - Red Larrivee
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#883 » by dice » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:39 am

Brothaman33 wrote:
dice wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
I disagree. This speaks to me that Pace can't out compete his peers at the top the draft (where most value is placed). From Kevin White to Leonard Floyd to Adam Shaheen to the worst blunder in modern NFL football trading up for Mitch Trubisky over Pat Mahomes or Deshaun Watson. Where he shines is down in the weeds. Where attention and variability increases drastically, then he has found steals.

Pace would be a solid scout on any staff for sure. But as a C-Level decision determining GM, he's just brutal.

isn't it HIS scouts that are down in the weeds? i sincerely doubt that he's spending a lot of his time watching game tape on small school prospects

Kevin White was got injured. I thinks it's unfair to blame all of his short comings on Pace. Pace didnt get him injured, and most everyone liked that pick at the time.

Leonard Floyd wasnt resigned, but its again hard to say he's been a complete bust. He hasn't, and had moments with us and has been better with the Rams.

We've been over the Trubisky thing time after time. My point with Pace is at LEAST be fair in the evaluation. He isn't "brutal".

Nichols, Miller, Daniels, Roquan, Shelley, Montgomery, Mooney, Johnson and Kmet have all been in the last 3 years. If you read the comments you would think its been a toddler drafting for us the last 3 years.

If you wanna fire him, fine, but he isn't the Ryan Leaf of GM's...and Trubisky isn't Ryan Leaf either.

the bears have been respectable despite not having a quality QB during pace's tenure. granted, he's partly responsible for not having that QB, and the 2018 season might have been something of a fluke, but he's obviously done some things well
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,853

Post#884 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:42 am

We're very likely stuck in purgatory.

But if we want to rebuild, just copy what the Dolphins have done. That's a repeatable method.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#885 » by Dresden » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:42 am

What a beat down. The Bears have less talent on the offensive side of the ball than any other team in the league outside of maybe 1 or 2 others. For that, you have to blame the GM.

Pace has to go. Things aren't getting better on offense, they're getting worse.

As for Nagy, I'd let the new GM figure that out. I do think the Bears today did a number of stupid things that well coached teams don't do- twice they jumped offsides for first downs. The big penalty on Kmet. Miller getting disqualified when we're already down a WR.

But to me, it's really hard to tell about Nagy because he has so little to work with on the offense.

Trubisky was constantly pressured today. When he wasn't, he looked decent to me. An upgrade would be great, and I doubt Mitch will ever be better than average, but I think you could win games with him IF the line was better and he had more time, AND he had some actual receivers to throw to.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#886 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:59 am

Pace is an animal. He's done great where most GMs fail and be bad where it's most important. I think Pace has built a solid foundation but if you look at his failures, it's hard to say the bears should keep him. He's failed in probably the three most important aspects of being a GM. QB, HC, and 1st round picks. On top of that, he's had a hit or miss FA record. Even if he were perfect everywhere else, it would still be hard to win with this Coach and QB. And after all that, the bears now have little flexibility to the point where we most likely have to let our best offensive player in Robinson walk and almost no room to make improvements.

I like Pace but I don't think he's earned the right to come back next season. Also goodbye to Nagy. Unfortunately, I think we're stuck with mitch. If its Mitch or Foles give me Mitch and a new coach to see what he can do with him.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,695

Post#887 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:15 am

patryk7754 wrote:Pace is an animal. He's done great where most GMs fail and be bad where it's most important. I think Pace has built a solid foundation but if you look at his failures, it's hard to say the bears should keep him. He's failed in probably the three most important aspects of being a GM. QB, HC, and 1st round picks. On top of that, he's had a hit or miss FA record. Even if he were perfect everywhere else, it would still be hard to win with this Coach and QB. And after all that, the bears now have little flexibility to the point where we most likely have to let our best offensive player in Robinson walk and almost no room to make improvements.

I like Pace but I don't think he's earned the right to come back next season. Also goodbye to Nagy. Unfortunately, I think we're stuck with mitch. If its Mitch or Foles give me Mitch and a new coach to see what he can do with him.

I still think Nagy can be a good coach, but he can't cook without the groceries. I think Pace has failed at asset management which is the biggest job of a GM. He's been terrible at it. The trade up for Trubisky was a fkn blunder from the moment it happened, no one liked it. But in addition, cap management, roster management, and staff management are at best questionable.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,322

Post#888 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:22 am

dice wrote:
Brothaman33 wrote:
dice wrote:isn't it HIS scouts that are down in the weeds? i sincerely doubt that he's spending a lot of his time watching game tape on small school prospects

the bears have been respectable despite not having a quality QB during pace's tenure. granted, he's partly responsible for not having that QB, and the 2018 season might have been something of a fluke, but he's obviously done some things well

Its just crazy to me how people want to apologize for a guy like Pace. Literally none of the responses had any semblance of an excusable....excuse. The the biggest one, the Sam Bowie'ing of the 2017 draft, is just a franchise killer that we all understand has happened to our Bears. Why defend Pace is my question to the Pace white knights? Why not cut ties and give hope of a fresh start after an absolutely brutal mistake (let along all the other mistakes aforementioned)
Brothaman33
Senior

Post#889 » by Brothaman33 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:45 am

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
dice wrote:
Brothaman33 wrote:

Its just crazy to me how people want to apologize for a guy like Pace. Literally none of the responses had any semblance of an excusable....excuse. The the biggest one, the Sam Bowie'ing of the 2017 draft, is just a franchise killer that we all understand has happened to our Bears. Why defend Pace is my question to the Pace white knights? Why not cut ties and give hope of a fresh start after an absolutely brutal mistake (let along all the other mistakes aforementioned)

No where would I apologize for him. And if they fire him, I think it's reasonable.

My point was to make an honest assessment of his work as GM.

The Bears have not gone 2-14, 6-10 and 4-12 under Pace and Nagy. They have gone 12-4, 8-8 and 8-8 with 2 playoff appearances.

That isn't the Jaguars, the Bengals or the Jets.

I think it's even more laughable that people think after cleaning house that the people hiring the next regime, who you probably think are all idiots as well, are going to hire anyone better.

Just don't be a fan then.
"Thibs and Deng make Skiles and Duhon look like a one night stand" - Red Larrivee
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man
And1: 532

Post#890 » by Butler4thewin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:50 am

patryk7754 wrote:Get rid of everyone and trade everyone else for Watson

i like this only with one twist once you get watson trade him to the 49ers for a 4th round pick
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#891 » by Susan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:49 am

Trade for Watson, sign Jimmy G to a decent contract, trade up and draft for Lance or Wilson, trade back up into the end of the first and draft Trask/Jones, find a way to get Stafford. IDGAF what path they choose, it's going to be a new fresh path and hopefully we can take a step forward.

There's some serious talent at TE/WR in the top end of the draft (Chase, Pitts, Waddle and Smith). If it doesn't wind up being Watson (meaning we'd keep our 1st rounder) or Stafford (I'd look to keep ARob and win now) I'd be fine with focusing on building a foundation of weapons. Kmet, Mooney, Montgomery, Cohen and a stud rookie would be a good foundation.

I think Mooney has real potential as a deep threat, Montgomery is a stud and should take another step forward next year, Kmet + Pitts would be a super dynamic duo with Kmet being the inline TE and Pitts playing a Waller type role and Cohen and aim for another wild card season with Jimmy G would be my ideal. I think you draft an OT in the 2nd round and roll with Bars/Ifedi as the RT and Leno stays as LT. Massie can walk, Jimmy Graham can walk and let Allen Robinson walk for the comp pick.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#892 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:58 am

I think if the *new* gets creative this offseason there's a chance for significant improvement. Some players will have to go but that might be needed.

First, I'd like Arthur Smith as HC (only because I don't think Eric B. will be available to us.) His play design and calling is one of the best in the NFL. I think you can make the argument that Payton and the coaches in KC are the only ones better.

Second, I want to get rid of Pagano. If Fangio isn't fired, I want someone from his coaching tree. The Rams DC was under Fangio and now they have the best defense in the NFL.

Now we get creative:
Trade Quinn for Minshew. With the Jags drafting Lawrence, there will be no need for Minshew and he will most likely be made available. There's a good chance the Jags would be willing to take his contract since they can cut him after next season and he has the potential to make a positive impact. The bears will most likely have to include a pick. The highest I'd go is 5th rounder. Saves us 1.4mil in cap

Trade Foles for whatever to the colts. Saves 1.3 mil

Unfortunately, we let Robinson walk and cut hicks. We need to fill too many spots and Robinson will probably take up more than half of our cap. Hicks saves us 10.5 mil and I think it'll be easier to swallow because of his injuries and his lack of discipline. We also cut Graham, Skrine, Leno, Massie, and Wims. After that, we'll have more than 36.7mil cap. I think its reasonable to assume an additional 10m in cap from restructures. Totaling in roughly 47mil in cap.

Resign:
Roy Robertson-Harris:1/5m
Pat O'Donnell:3/3.75 (1.25 2021 cap hit)
Cordarrelle Patterson:1/1m
Barkevious Mingo:1/2m
Demetrius Harris: 1/1m
Sherrick McManis:1/1.2m
John Jenkins:1/1m
Tashaun Gipson:1/2m
Brent Urban: 1/1m
Patrick Scales: 1/1m
Cairo Santos:1/1m
Mario Edwards:1/1m
J.P. Holtz: 1/800k
Alex Bars: 1/800k

Sign:
WR Sammy Watkins:3/24m (8m 2021 hit)
TE Tyler Eifert: 1/1m
CB Troy Hill: 2/6m (3m 2021 hit)
DE Vinny Curry: 1/1.3m
OLB Olivier Vernon: 1/800k
T Mike Remmers: 2/7m (3mil 2021 hit)
T Ty Sambrailo: 2/5 m (2m 2021 hit)
QB Tyrod Taylor: 1/3m

There's a chance Robinson resign with the cap leftover if you take Watkins out but its pretty unlikely.

Draft: Scenario 1, one of Devonta Smith, Jamare Chase, or Kyle Pitts drops far enough for us to trade our 1st and Another miller to draft them (maybe a future late pick, 5th would be the earliest)
RD 1: WR Jamare Chase (chance he drops because of his opt out and the ascension of Smith and Pitts)
RD 2: OLB Zaven Collins
RD 3: LT Walker Little (chance he drops because of his opt out and 2019 injury. Most likely will have to take him in the 2nd but I'm being hopefull)
RD 5: DE Thomas Booker
RD 6: TE Jake Ferguson
RD 6: CB/S Marco Wilson
RD 6: ILB Paddy Fisher
RD 7: C/G Drake Jackson

Draft: Scenario 2, can't trade up for Smith, Pitts, or Chase so we trade down to add a 2nd 2nd round pick. Jets can be a trade partner
RD 1: DE Jay Tufele
RD 2: OLB Zaven Collins
RD 2: WR Jaylen Waddle
RD 3: LT Walker Little
RD 5: DE Thomas Booker
RD 6: TE Jake Ferguson
RD 6: CB/S Marco Wilson
RD 6: ILB Paddy Fisher
RD 7: C/G Drake Jackson
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#893 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:15 am

Brothaman33 wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
dice wrote:the bears have been respectable despite not having a quality QB during pace's tenure. granted, he's partly responsible for not having that QB, and the 2018 season might have been something of a fluke, but he's obviously done some things well

No where would I apologize for him. And if they fire him, I think it's reasonable.

The Bears have not gone 2-14, 6-10 and 4-12 under Pace and Nagy. They have gone 12-4, 8-8 and 8-8 with 2 playoff appearances.

I think it's even more laughable that people think after cleaning house that the people hiring the next regime, who you probably think are all idiots as well, are going to hire anyone better.

This post has shades of Stockholm syndrome ala the GarPax era apologists. I'll be a fan of the bears just like I was a bulls fan during the latent GarPax years. This playoff appearance was a joke and we all know it. And it ended appropriately so tonight. Pace has been a failure given his opportunity level and retaining him will just continue to exacerbate that failure.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#894 » by Susan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:30 am

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
Brothaman33 wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:

This post has shades of Stockholm syndrome ala the GarPax era apologists. I'll be a fan of the bears just like I was a bulls fan during the latent GarPax years. This playoff appearance was a joke and we all know it. And it ended appropriately so tonight. Pace has been a failure given his opportunity level and retaining him will just continue to exacerbate that failure.

Good analysis. Very deep.

Or...some people remember the terrible era following Angelo/Lovie and understand it's easier to accept the fact that Pace missed on MItch and take solace in the fact that they're consistently decent to good with Nagy.

Pace is nothing like the GarPax era. There was a clear plan, it fell short, now they're going to re-tool.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,794

Post#895 » by Jcool0 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:31 am

Brothaman33 wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
dice wrote:the bears have been respectable despite not having a quality QB during pace's tenure. granted, he's partly responsible for not having that QB, and the 2018 season might have been something of a fluke, but he's obviously done some things well

Bears hire offensive coordinator Matt Nagy... Proceed to go 21st, 29th and 26th in offense. Brilliant!
Brothaman33
Senior

Post#896 » by Brothaman33 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:33 am

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
Brothaman33 wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:

As I said before, if they fire him I think its reasonable.

Basketball and Football are run very different so the comparisons to the GarPax era are apples and oranges.

My main point has been, that Pace hasn't been the object failure that angry Bears fans right now want him to be, NOR am I saying he has been a complete success, obviously.

He missed in the most important draft pick, ended up picking a so so coach the jury is still out on that has amounted to a 28-20 record and has been good in the mid rounds of the draft and possibly better the last 3 years.

To some, that is a complete garbagefest in which everyone should never hold a job again.

I don't see it like that but we'll have to wait and see how the higher ups, (who again, no one trusts either) view it.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#897 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:45 am

Susan wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
Brothaman33 wrote:

Good analysis. Very deep.

Or...some people remember the terrible era following Angelo/Lovie and understand it's easier to accept the fact that Pace missed on MItch and take solace in the fact that they're consistently decent to good with Nagy.

Pace is nothing like the GarPax era. There was a clear plan, it fell short, now they're going to re-tool.

LOL ok...I've appreciated your relatively baseless optimism all season on some level but I mean if backing into the playoffs to get embarrassed is a decent outcome for you then I guess cool, Mission Accomplished.But if we're looking on a realistic level, Pace historically bombed this roster specifically at the most important area (QB and offense). Trusting him to fix the QB position specifically is just crazy to me with his painfully established track record.
chicagoballer
Sixth Man
And1: 210

Post#898 » by chicagoballer » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:04 am

reflecting back on this weekend, the washington football team put up more of a fight than the bears. That is how much of a joke we were today.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#899 » by Dresden » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 am

chicagoballer wrote:reflecting back on this weekend, the washington football team put up more of a fight than the bears. That is how much of a joke we were today.

And their QB that they picked up off the street looked better than anything we have.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,886

Post#900 » by nomorezorro » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:44 am

"hire a new head football person and let them decide how to proceed from there" or "clean house completely" feels like the only two options. you gotta turn things around quick before we turn into the jaguars three years ago.

i've been a nagy apologist all season but that game was all-around brutal; i'm genuinely ambivalent over whether he stays or goes. i would prefer to let a new gm make the final call but would not really be upset if he was fired tomorrow.

mitch sucks and will always suck, but we're so boned at qb that i could come to accept the idea of him as a bridge qb as a matter of circumstance. i would just need someone other than ryan pace to make the decision to keep him around for another year
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.

Return to Chicago Bulls