Image ImageImage Image

PG: Bulls Clipped

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,134

Re: PG: Bulls Clipped 

Post#181 » by HomoSapien » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:19 am

That was a fun game. Despite the loss, this team is improving and much more fun even in losses than last season. We'll be better when we get Lauri and Sato back.

I really want to see Wendell step up defensively. Right now he only has 1 block and in his last five games. We need a better lane clogger than that. As a rookie, he was borderline elite. I really don't understand what's happened to this facet of his game.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#182 » by Am2626 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:29 am

wolffy wrote:The team is showing that some of the previous season putrid performances were on bad coaching/player development/player roles.

As for this team, with a real coach... you gotta learn to crawl before you can walk. The team is getting better and they are starting to play winning ball. Idk if the future is bright but I can see a little light now.

Yeah if Boylen were still coaching this team the Bulls would probably only have 1-2 wins at this point. GarPax and Boylen put such a black cloud over the Bulls. Glad to see them gone.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#183 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:36 am

This team is maybe a vet PG and vet C away from being a playoff team. Maybe Sato will play good BB and help out Coby and team, but im not too sure about it. Also we need vet C that can push guys out, pick up D rebounds, close the post better.. We arent getting that from WCJ, Gaff, Lauri and others.

Zach, PWill should be the core going forward, really like Temple and Thad soo far this season. Coby still too early, but man if he had some good mentor for PG that would be golden for him. He is looking ok, yet not convincing.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#184 » by MrFortune3 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:40 am

Indomitable wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
Chi town wrote:BillyD says we are beating ourselves. Says the guys have grown a lot and improved. You can tell he believes we can every game.

Billy is a really good coach and he seems to really like coaching Zach.

Boylen and Fred were truly bad.

Bad but Fred had the worst possible fit of a roster for his coaching style.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,017

Post#185 » by FriedRise » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:45 am

Eleven games in and Zach is now averaging 27.7p/5r/5a on 49/37/88 shooting. He's now 4th in the league in both points per game and three pointers made. Outside of 3P%, these are all career highs for him. He simply has been balling.

Wendell has now more than doubled his assist number from last year, averaging 2.7apg. His overall numbers are very, very similar to Steven Adam's from last season, which I found quite interesting. I expect a 10p/10r/3a average from him for the season.

Thaddeus Young is pretty much back to his last Indiana season averages. It's hilariously comical how badly Boylen used him last year, trying to turn a 12-year veteran into something that he's not.

As a team, we're #6 in PPG, #9 in FG%, #10 in 3P%, but we're in the bottom third in rebounding, opponent's FG%, opponent 3P%, and turnovers (dead last). In other words, Billy Donovan has turned us into who we thought this team should be - a good offensive team who can't defend much, which is the exact flip of who we were from last year's bizzaro season.

We really need to start getting some bodies back because Zach and Coby have had to play a ton of minutes during this road trip. It would be nice if we can get Arch, Sato, and Lauri back next game, but BD seems to like to give his returning players one extra game off before getting them back on the floor.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#186 » by meekrab » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:47 am

HomoSapien wrote:I really want to see Wendell step up defensively. Right now he only has 1 block and in his last five games. We need a better lane clogger than that. As a rookie, he was borderline elite. I really don't understand what's happened to this facet of his game.

He's always backing away from the PnR ball handler, even when they're halfway down the lane. It's got to be either bad coaching (not that I think our coaching has overall regressed, it's massively better except for this) or a mental block, because he's perfectly capable of standing his ground and shutting down short guys. :dontknow:
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#187 » by Axolotl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:58 am

This team is currently greatly exceeding my expectations.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
chicagoballer
Sixth Man
And1: 210

Post#188 » by chicagoballer » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:59 am

HomoSapien wrote:That was a fun game. Despite the loss, this team is improving and much more fun even in losses than last season. We'll be better when we get Lauri and Sato back.

I really want to see Wendell step up defensively. Right now he only has 1 block and in his last five games. We need a better lane clogger than that. As a rookie, he was borderline elite. I really don't understand what's happened to this facet of his game.

Its primarily effort related from what I noticed, but I have only watched about half the games this year. Whether its boylen aftermath or all that money when you are 20 years old, not sure what is making him give less than 100%. It is easy to start cruising on the court and start enjoying other things in life more than basketball when you are multi-millionaire/famous at age 20.
DorO
Junior
And1: 201

Post#189 » by DorO » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:44 am

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:This team is maybe a vet PG and vet C away from being a playoff team. Maybe Sato will play good BB and help out Coby and team, but im not too sure about it. Also we need vet C that can push guys out, pick up D rebounds, close the post better.. We arent getting that from WCJ, Gaff, Lauri and others.

Zach, PWill should be the core going forward, really like Temple and Thad soo far this season. Coby still too early, but man if he had some good mentor for PG that would be golden for him. He is looking ok, yet not convincing.

WCJ, Gaff and Kornet are trash and need to be replaced by vet and coach BD+AKME know it. For Lauri I would give a chance with good coach but he needs to improve his 3p closer to 40% and/or not being black hole in defense. If and he does both, we nned to sign him up, if he improves in only one aspect the price has to be low enough to sign him up - if he does not improve at all, he’s gone.

I’m optimistic about Coby’s development but obviously Zach+PWill is the way to go. Great west coast trip by Zach, wow.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#190 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:09 am

DorO wrote:
PrimzyBulls81 wrote:This team is maybe a vet PG and vet C away from being a playoff team. Maybe Sato will play good BB and help out Coby and team, but im not too sure about it. Also we need vet C that can push guys out, pick up D rebounds, close the post better.. We arent getting that from WCJ, Gaff, Lauri and others.

WCJ, Gaff and Kornet are trash and need to be replaced by vet and coach BD+AKME know it. For Lauri I would give a chance with good coach but he needs to improve his 3p closer to 40% and/or not being black hole in defense. If and he does both, we nned to sign him up, if he improves in only one aspect the price has to be low enough to sign him up - if he does not improve at all, he’s gone.

I’m optimistic about Coby’s development but obviously Zach+PWill is the way to go. Great west coast trip by Zach, wow.

I wouldnt call WCJ trash, but too bad we didnt go after Steven Adams this offseason.. very likely price was high!?
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#191 » by rtblues » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:50 am

Kawhi on Bulls/Williams at 5:19 into the video, here:

"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,025

Post#192 » by coldfish » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
Billy is a really good coach and he seems to really like coaching Zach.

Boylen and Fred were truly bad.

Bad but Fred had the worst possible fit of a roster for his coaching style.

Fred didn't have a coaching style. He had a sales pitch.
Pentele
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#193 » by Pentele » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:15 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:If we get 20 ppg 40 percent on 3s Lauri back we are gonna win a lot of games.

Lauri's lack of defense and motor not being around to hurt the team is a big reason why the team is playing better but ain't nobody wanna hear that…

If the point is not simply to antagonize other posters, I have to say I do not get your reasoning. It is clearly not the case that the team is suddenly playing much improved defense that is winning the games/making the team competitive. I guess you could make a weak correlative argument (given the limited sample) between the improved offense and the absence of Lauri whether you attribute it to "motor" or some other somewhat obscure factor. But we do know that argument does not really hold the water, does it?

More generally, I think many are missing an important aspect as to Lauri's role this year. It does seem we have a competent coach. Competent coaches are able to maximize their the utility of their players in different rotations. For all his flaws, Lauri can be used to cause mismatches that the other team needs to adapt to at different stages of the game. That takes away from the options that the opposing coach has at his disposal, and it may adversely affect their offense which effectively improves Bulls' defense. I have been lurking around this forum for a couple of years now, and I have not seen that much discussion on how individual players figure in _opposing_ game plans or against opposing rotations. Yes, scouting reports are occasionally mentioned but that is a bit different, isn't it? Now that we have a coaching staff that actually knows what they are doing - and not try to fit players of "the same position" to the same role like Boylen did - I think it might be a time to start assessing players a bit more comprehensively.

To sum my broader point: this year is different, whether we are talking about Lauri, Zach, or the rest of the team.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,894

Post#194 » by RSP83 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:55 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:We we basically played a full Clippers squad to the end missing 3 key plays and arguably two of our top 3. I can take a loss like this.

Zach is a star. Anyone disagreeing can fight me!

I almost want people to continue to discredit him so he can just kill teams while flying under the radar. Zach Lavine is a big time scorer. He's a fluid 3 level scorer with elite level athleticism. And it's funny that despite everybody knows that Zach is an elite athlete, that part of his game is somehow underrated by most. Many focus more on his weakness (decision making), rather than looking at how his elite athleticism actually turn his already solid 3 level scoring ability into a whole new level. I think people don't give him enough credit for his ability to combine his athleticism and actual basketball skill. Yes, Zach is an athlete first, but he's an athlete with actual basketball skill. He could've been lazy, not develop his basketball skill, and rely on his raw athleticism. But that's not the case. That said, I would still listen to trade possibilities, but don't undersell him. He's a top flight NBA player, an elite scorer.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#195 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Threekola wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cowley’s such a troll. Context matters bruh.

LOL! He can't be serious.

Cowley is always serious when it comes to clickbait.
RSP83
Head Coach

Post#196 » by RSP83 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:47 pm

I've been watching Denzel in this system he's been doing well in a filler role. He's good for 2 3-points a game, a couple of floaters, a few rebounds, and keeping the ball moving.
RSP83
Head Coach

Post#197 » by RSP83 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:52 pm

Overall, I'm amazed how different our team look now compare to last year. And we really only add Patrick Williams and Garrett Temple, who are like the 5th and 8th player in the pecking order. The last few years must have been a bigger disaster than I thought.
Bullflip
Assistant Coach
And1: 834

Post#198 » by Bullflip » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:13 pm

RSP83 wrote:Overall, I'm amazed how different our team look now compare to last year. And we really only add Patrick Williams and Garrett Temple, who are like the 5th and 8th player in the pecking order. The last few years must have been a bigger disaster than I thought.

Just shows how bad Boylen really was.
RSP83
Head Coach

Post#199 » by RSP83 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:17 pm

Bullflip wrote:
RSP83 wrote:Overall, I'm amazed how different our team look now compare to last year. And we really only add Patrick Williams and Garrett Temple, who are like the 5th and 8th player in the pecking order. The last few years must have been a bigger disaster than I thought.

Just shows how bad Boylen really was.

and what a nonsense was that High School coaching philosophy, trying to teach this team how to "walk" before this team can "run". This is the freakin' same group.
Kukoc-Lauri
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#200 » by Kukoc-Lauri » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:46 pm

We need to get our guys to play full strenght vs Boston. Temple,Sato,Young miss first two games, Lauri,Sato,Hutch,Arch last seven games, Porter last two. Now it is payback time. We are 100% Boston are without Tatum,Walker,Thompson, both Williams, Okc is full but we are better and Dallas have Luka and KP back but 3 or 4 crucial role players including Brunson are in protocol. Time for 3-0 week and back to 50%. Otherwise trades and tanking would look more and more closer.

Return to Chicago Bulls