ImageImageImage

CAN the Celtics be Fixed this year?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,670

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#101 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:34 am

Kids Are Alright wrote:Am I the only one that sees little upside in Theis? He can run, can’t shoot to save himself, too small to rebound or rim-protect and had the G-Leaguers destroy him at the Pistons the other night.
G Williams, the same.

When he's "on", Theis can block a bunch of shots. And he actually had quite a bit of potential as a roll man.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#102 » by Jammer » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:44 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:So if we had a do-over on the starting line-up vs. Toronto (i.e., with the same list of available players as well as the same opponent), what should it be?

Brown and Tatum are obvious.
Pritchard is an easy replacement for Waters.

But what to do with the two slots that went to Thompson and Theis? The simple answer is to replace Theis with one of Semi or Grant. The right basketball answer is probably to start both Williamses, but how would T&T hold up after that? And would the errors multiply with that many young players on the court?

Rob Williams/Theis/Thompson
Grant Williams/Semi
Tatum/?
Brown/?
Pritchard/Waters

feels fairly right to me.

With Kemba, Smart and Teague all out, I'm not crying over being stuck with Waters as fifth-string PG.

With Langford, Green and three PGs out, the wing backup situation is understandably bad. Since Toronto's guards are fairly small, it might be as good a time to try Edwards as any. Hmm ...

Disagree with starting Rob Williams, even though he is CLEARLY better than Thompson or Theis.

Let Thompson and Theis suffer the abuse of guarding the heavyweights (Embiid, Gobert, Jokic, Vucevic, Zubac, Andre Drummond, Jarret Allen, Valenciunas) and let Rob Williams III continue to destroy the backup centers. Rob deserves around 20 mpg, which should keep him fresh, healthy, bouncy and quick, and let TT take the other 28 mpg, but give them their minutes against the banger brutes.

Of course, I'd rather that Ainge find a real center to replace both Tristan and Theis in the starting lineup. He's definately got assets between the Trade Exception and players I could part with.

And as playa-hater has said numerous times, wondering if Saddiq Bey would have been a better draft pick than Aaron Nesmith. Isaih Thomas gave glowing reviews about Bey the minute the Pistons drafted him. Isaih has an incredibly good eye for talent going back to his Toronto Presidency days. But with Bey, there would be no need for Ojeleye or Grant Williams, which may be why Ainge drafted Aaron Nesmith. Different position. And we know Ainge drafts for position, not Best Player Available.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#103 » by Ernest » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:39 pm

Well this thread didn't age well. We changed nothing and currently have the best record in the league.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#104 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:07 pm

A genuine shocker indeed.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,483

Post#105 » by playa-hater » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:29 pm

Ernest wrote:Well this thread didn't age well. We changed nothing and currently have the best record in the league.

Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but that is such a BAD statement. Unless regular season wins is our BIG GOAL. Especially considering were are barely 10% into the Regular season.

We were in the Semi-finals for what 3 of 4 years, and IF that is all you want then Congrats on your successful campaign.

I want #18. If you are foolish enough to believe things like Semi/Grant Hitting a few shots has solved our PUTRID bench scoring for the Title run, then what can I say. If you think our early record, is our true indication of our team, then that is on you. If you don't have a problem with Boston Big lead collapses, or a coach who uses a 2 BIG lineup that continued NOT TO WORK as therr is nothing wrong with Stevens, then that is also on you. If You are OK with our Lottery pick NOT even getting the chance to F up over players like Trent Waters, C Edwards, J Green, and so on, then that is also on you.

Me if I see Dark clouds, hear Thunder, see Lightning, over and Over again. I don't act like it's going to be a Sunny Day.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#106 » by Ernest » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:27 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Ernest wrote:Well this thread didn't age well. We changed nothing and currently have the best record in the league.

Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but that is such a BAD statement. Unless regular season wins is our BIG GOAL. Especially considering were are barely 10% into the Regular season.

We were in the Semi-finals for what 3 of 4 years, and IF that is all you want then Congrats on your successful campaign.

I want #18. If you are foolish enough to believe things like Semi/Grant Hitting a few shots has solved our PUTRID bench scoring for the Title run, then what can I say. If you think our early record, is our true indication of our team, then that is on you. If you don't have a problem with Boston Big lead collapses, or a coach who uses a 2 BIG lineup that continued NOT TO WORK as therr is nothing wrong with Stevens, then that is also on you. If You are OK with our Lottery pick NOT even getting the chance to F up over players like Trent Waters, C Edwards, J Green, and so on, then that is also on you.

Me if I see Dark clouds, hear Thunder, see Lightning, over and Over again. I don't act like it's going to be a Sunny Day.

Sorry, don't mean to be rude but why can't you just enjoy things? Why blame everyone and complain all the time? Is the current team the best ever? No. But is it winning, fun to watch and generally going in the right direction? Oh corse it is. Just relax dude.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#107 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:07 pm

Vaccinate everyone.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#108 » by jfs1000d » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:07 pm

This thread still around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#109 » by SMTBSI » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:04 pm

Ernest wrote:Sorry, don't mean to be rude but why can't you just enjoy things? Why blame everyone and complain all the time? Is the current team the best ever? No. But is it winning, fun to watch and generally going in the right direction? Oh corse it is. Just relax dude.

If I wore a sig, that would be it.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#110 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:33 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:Vaccinate everyone.

Good luck convincing MPJ and Kyrie.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#111 » by playa-hater » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:27 am

Ernest wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Me, if I see Dark clouds, hear Thunder, see Lightning, over and Over again. I don't act like it's going to be a Sunny Day.

Sorry, don't mean to be rude but why can't you just enjoy things? Why blame everyone and complain all the time? Is the current team the best ever? No. But is it winning, fun to watch and generally going in the right direction? Oh corse it is. Just relax dude.

You really are good or annoying more like it, at calling out other posters and using flawed statements.

Let's start with the 1st.

"Can't you just Enjoy things" - Wrong. I enjoy quite a Bit. I often state my "enjoyment" in/for J Tatum. Same for Brown. In fact I have JOYFULLY defended their status and tried to convince others that their Status is only just the beginning and may actually be better then given credit for.

Same for Robert Williams AKA Timelord.

I have thoroughly enjoyed and posted about our rookie PG PP and how much I believe he will turn out to be a great draft pickup for us. Even in going as far to credit one of our much maligned posters for declaring him a great prospect.

I have also thoroughly and perhaps shamelessly promoted Tacko and even Joyously declared myself VP of his fan club. (no voter runoff with our self proclaimed Prez)

I have even given "positive" faith in our other Rookie when many (after a few weeks weeks) have given up.

I regularly and positively declare US ready to Go on game day. Never claiming or believing we can't BEST our opponent.

I can go on and can repost many comments about these "Claims" to back me up.

But the one thing I have NOT given any positive or joyful opinions on is Brad Stevens. I have made my case as to why many times, so no need to regurgitate any of it.

It is quite clear, now that I have posted on here for 6 months or so, that you are one of the Stevens' "apologists" that will come to his defense no matter what the situation. Truth is, I don't even care. I joined message boards to share/read opinions, make observations and YES even become critical when I feel so inclined.

The simple conclusion I have is YOU and some others have different sets of standards. You are happy with the status quo, the treadmill approach. I for one want another title. I was there in 1986 and sat 10 feet from Len Bias the night of the draft. Obviously my high expectations for Boston did not come through. But reality is only 1 time in the next 34 years, let me repeat that, 1 time in the next 34 years did Boston actually win a title. That is horrible by my belief Standards. I simply hate taking things for granted like may on here. Opportunities DON"T always come. And when they do, it is NOT a guarantee that we can maximize on them. Boston since drafting Tatum had a HUGE opportunity, with multiple all star level players and a treasure chest of assets to Maximize the opportunity, and improve. Instead we get treadmill gains at best, with even a possibility of getting worse. We still have the same limitations glaring us in the face. Yet, just "enjoy things" you say.

I will "enjoy things" when we get 18.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#112 » by playa-hater » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:36 am

EDIT.

Forgot to mention that I posted that I like and Enjoy Scal.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,670

Post#113 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:34 am

Who in recent seasons has won a championship by trading a great, somewhat established young talent AWAY?

Raptors didn't trade any youngster better than Jacob Poetl.
Warriors didn't trade anybody better than Monta Ellis.
Cavs -- I'm not counting draft picks/draft rights, so I can't think of anybody.
Heat -- ditto.
Mavs -- nobody better than Devin Harris?
Lakers -- Marc Gasol, but he wasn't established yet.
Celtics -- Al Jefferson is an exception to this general rule.
Spurs -- nobody better than George Hill?

Who am I missing?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,394

Post#114 » by reload141 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:38 am

The only thing we really need before we "Fix" the Celtics.

GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#115 » by GoGreen » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:48 am

I know a lot of us are feeling good, but the young guys on this team still haven't proven anything, and we still don't know what Kemba will look like going forward.

The Jaye are obviously fine, but Romeo? Can he stay healthy? How about Rob? He's not playing a ton of minutes, when he does, can he hold up? Grant hasn't proven a damn thing and Semi is not someone that we should count on. Nesmith? Who knows.

PP looks like he's a hit, which is great. But this roster aside from the Jays isn't a done deal afaic. Still gotta wait and see.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#116 » by Ernest » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:00 am

playa-hater wrote:
Ernest wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Me, if I see Dark clouds, hear Thunder, see Lightning, over and Over again. I don't act like it's going to be a Sunny Day.

You really are good or annoying more like it, at calling out other posters and using flawed statements.

Let's start with the 1st.

"Can't you just Enjoy things" - Wrong. I enjoy quite a Bit. I often state my "enjoyment" in/for J Tatum. Same for Brown. In fact I have JOYFULLY defended their status and tried to convince others that their Status is only just the beginning and may actually be better then given credit for.

Same for Robert Williams AKA Timelord.

I have thoroughly enjoyed and posted about our rookie PG PP and how much I believe he will turn out to be a great draft pickup for us. Even in going as far to credit one of our much maligned posters for declaring him a great prospect.

I have also thoroughly and perhaps shamelessly promoted Tacko and even Joyously declared myself VP of his fan club. (no voter runoff with our self proclaimed Prez)

I have even given "positive" faith in our other Rookie when many (after a few weeks weeks) have given up.

I regularly and positively declare US ready to Go on game day. Never claiming or believing we can't BEST our opponent.

I can go on and can repost many comments about these "Claims" to back me up.

But the one thing I have NOT given any positive or joyful opinions on is Brad Stevens. I have made my case as to why many times, so no need to regurgitate any of it.

It is quite clear, now that I have posted on here for 6 months or so, that you are one of the Stevens' "apologists" that will come to his defense no matter what the situation. Truth is, I don't even care. I joined message boards to share/read opinions, make observations and YES even become critical when I feel so inclined.

The simple conclusion I have is YOU and some others have different sets of standards. You are happy with the status quo, the treadmill approach. I for one want another title. I was there in 1986 and sat 10 feet from Len Bias the night of the draft. Obviously my high expectations for Boston did not come through. But reality is only 1 time in the next 34 years, let me repeat that, 1 time in the next 34 years did Boston actually win a title. That is horrible by my belief Standards. I simply hate taking things for granted like may on here. Opportunities DON"T always come. And when they do, it is NOT a guarantee that we can maximize on them. Boston since drafting Tatum had a HUGE opportunity, with multiple all star level players and a treasure chest of assets to Maximize the opportunity, and improve. Instead we get treadmill gains at best, with even a possibility of getting worse. We still have the same limitations glaring us in the face. Yet, just "enjoy things" you say.

I will "enjoy things" when we get 18.

Ain’t nobody got time for all that.
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#117 » by GWVan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:10 pm

playa-hater wrote:[

The simple conclusion I have is YOU and some others have different sets of standards. You are happy with the status quo, the treadmill approach. I for one want another title.

Can we address the treadmill bs? A treadmill team is a team that is not contending but not horrible. First round exit every year, no real promise for the future. The Orlando Magic. A team that has made it to the final four three out of the last four years, that barring injury (and mental instability) free would have certainly been in the finals at least twice in the last four years, that has two of the most promising young players in the league, and is currently sporting the best record in the league is NOT a treadmill team.

Side note: during the regular season, the regular season record does matter, in fact it is the only thing that matters.

The entitlement of some fans astounds me. I guess that if you live in the Boston area and root for all the local teams you feel that at least one championship should come your way every year. At least you are still not as bad as Yankee fans, so you have that going for you. Here in my area I see people who are more positive about the local team even though they ARE a treadmill team that has never won a championship and made only one trip to the finals.

I don't do other sports, don't root for other NBA teams, the NBA season ends on the Celtics last game of the year. I have always been and will always be a Celtics fan. There have been good times and there have been bad times. This is not a bad time, it's actually pretty good. Rick Pitino and Jim O'Brien are not walking thru that door.

Did I mention we have Tacko? How could you not love a team that has Tacko?
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,724

Post#118 » by Slax » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:43 pm

playa-hater wrote:

This confuses me because I feel like we're fundamentally a contender if Kemba comes back close to healthy. Other than missing our third star, we just have some small holes like wing depth, which could probably be filled with a minor trade, or even just development from younger players. I'm not looking at our roster and wondering where to get another star player to push us over the top or anything.

If Kemba doesn't come back healthy, then we are probably capped at an eastern conference playoff run, which is a place many teams would love to be. I would rather be a contender, but I'm also confused by anyone who can't enjoy watching playoff games without being assured a championship.

Dark clouds are for teams that are washed up, capped out, unexciting, and have little room for improvement. That doesn't describe the Celtics right now.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#119 » by playa-hater » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:04 pm

GWVan wrote:
playa-hater wrote:[

The simple conclusion I have is YOU and some others have different sets of standards. You are happy with the status quo, the treadmill approach. I for one want another title.

Can we address the treadmill bs? A treadmill team is a team that is not contending but not horrible. First round exit every year, no real promise for the future. The Orlando Magic. A team that has made it to the final four three out of the last four years, that barring injury (and mental instability) free would have certainly been in the finals at least twice in the last four years, that has two of the most promising young players in the league, and is currently sporting the best record in the league is NOT a treadmill team.

Side note: during the regular season, the regular season record does matter, in fact it is the only thing that matters.

The entitlement of some fans astounds me. I guess that if you live in the Boston area and root for all the local teams you feel that at least one championship should come your way every year. At least you are still not as bad as Yankee fans, so you have that going for you. Here in my area I see people who are more positive about the local team even though they ARE a treadmill team that has never won a championship and made only one trip to the finals.

I don't do other sports, don't root for other NBA teams, the NBA season ends on the Celtics last game of the year. I have always been and will always be a Celtics fan. There have been good times and there have been bad times. This is not a bad time, it's actually pretty good. Rick Pitino and Jim O'Brien are not walking thru that door.

Did I mention we have Tacko? How could you not love a team that has Tacko?

You can always find teams like Orlando that is worse. but treadmill basically means "staying the same" year after year. Yes we are much closer than Orlando types. But I do not want to be the Bucks of the late 80s, the early Cavs team of the 90's, Utah mid 90s Toronto forever? Until they finally pushed through. LAC and Houston as well. And definitely the Bucks who had the best record for the past few years.

As for being entitled??? We have one Ring in 34 years. Hardly feel entitled.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#120 » by playa-hater » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:17 pm

Slax wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

This confuses me because I feel like we're fundamentally a contender if Kemba comes back close to healthy. Other than missing our third star, we just have some small holes like wing depth, which could probably be filled with a minor trade, or even just development from younger players. I'm not looking at our roster and wondering where to get another star player to push us over the top or anything.

If Kemba doesn't come back healthy, then we are probably capped at an eastern conference playoff run, which is a place many teams would love to be. I would rather be a contender, but I'm also confused by anyone who can't enjoy watching playoff games without being assured a championship.

Dark clouds are for teams that are washed up, capped out, unexciting, and have little room for improvement. That doesn't describe the Celtics right now.

Dark clouds for your above example for sure. but my analogy was based on Boston having the same problems re-occurring, finishing games, getting some Bench help. Not relying on players who are proven to be too limited. Getting better ball movement late in games. Having a coach continually using poor lineups.

Again. If regular season success is the main Barometer of success, then Boston has some Sunny Days. I see still too many "kinks in the Armor" to ignore. I won't consider this season a success without a title. Others here obviously feel different.

Return to Boston Celtics