ImageImage

OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#101 » by Sauce Boss » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:14 pm

So the monitor I ordered from Dell was supposed to arrive on the 5th. They delayed it once to the 11th, with it supposed to ship on the 4th. Never got shipping confirmation, so I assumed another week delay. Nope, they delayed it all the way to February 15th. That's...that's absurd. Best Buy says I can pick it up curbside today, so I'm seeing if they'll price match Dell ($50 cheaper).
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#102 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:36 pm

I hit the part in Avengers where the games as a service stuff arrive and wow it really cribs from Destiny, taking all the boring stuff from it.

Thankfully it seems like I still have a lot of story left and I legitimately love it. This is the best version of Bruce Banner I've ever seen via any media. Kamala Kahn is great. Random characters from the Marvel universe showing up is a treat. Playing as these characters is so cool I could even see grinding for the unlockable abilities and even gear.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#103 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Whenever I see links like these or router discussions come up around here I contemplate picking up a new one. I know I'm not taking full advantage of the 200MB or 400MB download speeds Charter is giving me. But I did a speed test just now and I'm averaging 150MB download. Is there any reason other than speed to consider upgrading? Because that speed is just fine for me, and I'm using an Airport Extreme base station that's 14 years old.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:06 am

Read on Twitter

Yooooo
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#105 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:28 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Whenever I see links like these or router discussions come up around here I contemplate picking up a new one. I know I'm not taking full advantage of the 200MB or 400MB download speeds Charter is giving me. But I did a speed test just now and I'm averaging 150MB download. Is there any reason other than speed to consider upgrading? Because that speed is just fine for me, and I'm using an Airport Extreme base station that's 14 years old.

Older, but a solid overview on Wi-Fi 6 (ax):

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/21/18232026/wi-fi-6-speed-explained-router-wifi-how-does-work

Basically going to new Wi-Fi standard let’s you support more devices at your higher end speed without clogging up the network. Imagine your significant other streams Netflix in one room, you’re downloading a game on your PC, your Macbook is running updates, you’re streaming music on your phone, you’re playing a game online on your PS5, etc... It adds up, especially as more smart devices infiltrate your home, so not throttling yourself becomes a thing as more source are on your network.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#106 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:30 am

Sauce Boss wrote:So the monitor I ordered from Dell was supposed to arrive on the 5th. They delayed it once to the 11th, with it supposed to ship on the 4th. Never got shipping confirmation, so I assumed another week delay. Nope, they delayed it all the way to February 15th. That's...that's absurd. Best Buy says I can pick it up curbside today, so I'm seeing if they'll price match Dell ($50 cheaper).

Update: I got it price matched and I picked it up curbside same day. Smooth process, brownie points to Best Buy. Sure won’t order anything from Dell again.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#107 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:31 am

Aww **** I guess as long as I'm a single loser again I'll stick with what I have.
thrice123
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#108 » by thrice123 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:00 am

Anyone obsessed when it comes to trading after franchise drafts in sports games like me? In NBA2k i finally have a big three of Giannis, Luka and Klay after a draft and trades. It is ridiculous how difficult that is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#109 » by machu46 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:05 pm

I really can't get over how much I loved the Spider-Man game. First game I've ever gotten 100% completion on and none of it really even felt like a chore. I think this beat all of the Spider-Man movies for me at least and I really liked the Tom Holland ones. I can't wait to get going on the Miles Morales one next.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#110 » by WRau1 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:27 pm

I'm having a great time with CP2077, trying to master fast paced combat.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#111 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:26 pm

I know people love Hollow Knight, but something about it didn't totally hook me. It was a good game, instead of the incredible one so many said it was (to me).

Ori is **** incredible. The world is beautiful, and I feel the emotional investment more than I did with HK - both of which I think are why I am liking it so much more.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:57 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I know people love Hollow Knight, but something about it didn't totally hook me. It was a good game, instead of the incredible one so many said it was (to me).

Ori is **** incredible. The world is beautiful, and I feel the emotional investment more than I did with HK - both of which I think are why I am liking it so much more.

I'm with you on HK. That game should have been tailor made for me but it never hooked me. I'll give it another shot at some point.

But yea, Ori is amazing. Best part is the second game somehow improves on the first.
MARK_POPE
Senior
And1: 1,970

Post#113 » by MARK_POPE » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:11 pm

WRau1 wrote:I'm having a great time with CP2077, trying to master fast paced combat.

Are you CPU master race or just dealing with all the glitches?

I tried getting through the game on PS4 but it was just too much and requested a refund. Playing 13 Sentinals: Aegis Rim instead because it was 1/2 off on PSN. Cool virtual novel/JRPG with a battle system that reminds me a bit of Starcraft.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#114 » by WRau1 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:28 pm

MARK_POPE wrote:
WRau1 wrote:I'm having a great time with CP2077, trying to master fast paced combat.

Are you CPU master race or just dealing with all the glitches?

I tried getting through the game on PS4 but it was just too much and requested a refund. Playing 13 Sentinals: Aegis Rim instead because it was 1/2 off on PSN. Cool virtual novel/JRPG with a battle system that reminds me a bit of Starcraft.

Xbox Series X. The only bug I've encountered so far was a camera view while driving but I fixed it.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:37 pm

Just found out the protagonist in Far Cry 6 is Dani Rojas.

Excited for the crossover potential!
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,716

Post#116 » by tydett » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:59 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I know people love Hollow Knight, but something about it didn't totally hook me. It was a good game, instead of the incredible one so many said it was (to me).

I really liked both games, but the difference for me is atmosphere. Hollow Knight is really **** cool, but it's also really dark - there are moments of brightness, but those are the oasis. Ori utilizes the full color pallet and it really is vibrant all throughout. Honestly, the sound track is what does it for me. I still find myself humming Ori's theme. Hollow Knight has some great tunes, but it didn't impact as much as Ori. Still both great.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#117 » by WRau1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:42 pm

Just now starting the main storyline of CP2077, I like it. Up till now I've just been grinding street cred to afford legend quickhacks, Short Circuit is so good.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#118 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:45 pm

tydett wrote:

I really liked both games, but the difference for me is atmosphere. Hollow Knight is really **** cool, but it's also really dark - there are moments of brightness, but those are the oasis. Ori utilizes the full color pallet and it really is vibrant all throughout. Honestly, the sound track is what does it for me. I still find myself humming Ori's theme. Hollow Knight has some great tunes, but it didn't impact as much as Ori. Still both great.

I think that's what it was for me too. I might have enjoyed it more if it was more vibrant and wasn't so hidden behind darkness. I totally understand and appreciate it from an artistic and gameplay perspective, but I personally don't enjoy it.

PoE has a league mechanic a few leagues back where it basically grayscaled everything, and it was the core thing you did in the game. It was so boring to me I burned out in just over a week and skipped the league, lol.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#119 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
tydett wrote:

I think that's what it was for me too. I might have enjoyed it more if it was more vibrant and wasn't so hidden behind darkness. I totally understand and appreciate it from an artistic and gameplay perspective, but I personally don't enjoy it.

PoE has a league mechanic a few leagues back where it basically grayscaled everything, and it was the core thing you did in the game. It was so boring to me I burned out in just over a week and skipped the league, lol.

I can get why people might not like Hollow Knight as it’s pretty somber. But I think this article covers pretty well what it is very good at: consistency.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/08/01/hollow-knight-and-the-art-of-consistency/
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:32 pm

Nvidia and AMD’s high-end graphics cards were expensive in 2020 (if you could find them), but their prices are only going up. And you can thank the government for that.

As of December 31, 2020, GPUs and motherboards are now included in tariffs the Trump administration placed on Chinese imports. These PC components were previously exempt from said tariffs, but those exceptions expired at the end of 2020 and no extensions were applied. That means prices have been rising by as much as 25 percent for high-end GPUs—including Nvidia’s new RTX 3090, 3080, 3070, and 3060 Ti, and AMD’s RX 6800 and RX 6800 XT.

Nvidia and AMD’s latest GPUs were nearly impossible to buy in 2020 to begin with, as COVID-19 affected manufacturing and supply chains, leading to more limited products even available for purchase. And retailers would typically sell out in mere seconds every time they restocked, thanks to scalpers and cryptocurrency miners using bots to buy up as many graphics cards as possible.

The purchasing experience got bad enough that many retailers implemented anti-bot tactics like waitlists, more aggressive human verification systems, and strict limits on how many GPUs customers can purchase. However, these tariffs are only going to make the process more difficult—and expensive—if you’re lucky enough to score a card.

The tariffs don’t just affect GPUs, either; SSDs, CPUs, power supply units, and other PC components could all see price hikes between seven and 25 percent, depending on their price. As Tom’s Hardware notes, the increase on prices for these probably won’t be as severe as the increase to GPUs, but if you’re buying or building a new PC, or upgrading several pieces of an existing rig, you’ll definitely notice a difference.

I was considering a high end setup but this is a bummer to read.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks