ImageImageImage

Ricky Rubio #9

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Charly
Freshman
And1: 30

Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#1341 » by Charly » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:17 pm

As you said, could be Sounder has no option.
It is small ball or death.
Let's enjoy with the few wins.
flyindutchman
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#1342 » by flyindutchman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:29 pm

Nearly everyone here jumped for joy when Rosas traded for Ricky. It completely baffled me. We have years of tape on Ricky to know the guy we were going to get. I was for taking a swing at another player, either long term lotto ticket in Poku or Bey. Heck, even after taking Edwards and knowing the team desperately needed frontcourt players, I would have loved Maxey.

Granted, I don't study every play nor do I know every player in the league, but it sure baffles me how sucked in this board can get to what Rosas vision is. Zoom out for a sec.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#1343 » by Killboard » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:35 pm

flyindutchman wrote:Nearly everyone here jumped for joy when Rosas traded for Ricky. It completely baffled me. We have years of tape on Ricky to know the guy we were going to get. I was for taking a swing at another player, either long term lotto ticket in Poku or Bey. Heck, even after taking Edwards and knowing the team desperately needed frontcourt players, I would have loved Maxey.

Granted, I don't study every play nor do I know every player in the league, but it sure baffles me how sucked in this board can get to what Rosas vision is. Zoom out for a sec.

Wolves got:
1) An expiring contract for next season. Not sure they could have used JJ this year, so they punt that for next when they are gonna have better idea of their roster needs.
2) An useful veteran, who impact the game much more than JJ, who is a terrific off the court leader, and who can give a steady hand to end games to a very young roster.
3) They punted on Poku, Maxey etc, but got themselves Jayden McDaniels, who was seen as many as a top20 pick, and who has legit upside as a 3&D forward whith room for more.
4) I'm not even considering Bolmaro here, but is another guy who many draft experts gave legit upside as 6'8 defender and playmaker.
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#1344 » by Heimdal » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:47 pm

Rubio talked to a spanish news agency and said:

“Of course, at some point I would like to talk (with Finch) to know very well what my role is. But yes, I am very comfortable these last two, three weeks. I also understand that when DLo (D’Angelo Russell) returns this is going to change. But this has been my role in the last few years, my entire NBA career, and that’s when I feel comfortable

This is the only english website I found translating it:
https://www.football24.news/basketball/78206/nba-ricky-rubio-i-would-like-to-talk-to-the-coach-to-find-out-what-my-role-is.html

Trade request coming?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Post#1345 » by shrink » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:31 am

Killboard wrote:
flyindutchman wrote:Nearly everyone here jumped for joy when Rosas traded for Ricky. It completely baffled me. We have years of tape on Ricky to know the guy we were going to get. I was for taking a swing at another player, either long term lotto ticket in Poku or Bey. Heck, even after taking Edwards and knowing the team desperately needed frontcourt players, I would have loved Maxey.

Wolves got:
1) An expiring contract for next season. Not sure they could have used JJ this year, so they punt that for next when they are gonna have better idea of their roster needs.
2) An useful veteran, who impact the game much more than JJ, who is a terrific off the court leader, and who can give a steady hand to end games to a very young roster.
3) They punted on Poku, Maxey etc, but got themselves Jayden McDaniels, who was seen as many as a top20 pick, and who has legit upside as a 3&D forward whith room for more.
4) I'm not even considering Bolmaro here, but is another guy who many draft experts gave legit upside as 6'8 defender and playmaker.

Right I would add that we got

5. a team-first guy that doesn’t care about getting his shots, and plays some defense. These are qualities our team desperately needed.

6. We also got a guy that knew how to feed KAT, and had experienced the loss of his mother.

7. We also got a guy that Taylor loves, and we want him to continue his loyalty to not sell this team to someone who would move it.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1346 » by Jedzz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:34 pm

shrink wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Wolves got:

Right I would add that we got

5. a team-first guy that doesn’t care about getting his shots, and plays some defense. These are qualities our team desperately needed.

6. We also got a guy that knew how to feed KAT, and had experienced the loss of his mother.

7. We also got a guy that Taylor loves, and we want him to continue his loyalty to not sell this team to someone who would move it.

Apparently we also got a player that still can't feel comfortable while not starting. Which they couldn't get away with for long the first time he was here either.

Heimdal wrote:Rubio talked to a spanish news agency and said:

“Of course, at some point I would like to talk (with Finch) to know very well what my role is. But yes, I am very comfortable these last two, three weeks. I also understand that when DLo (D’Angelo Russell) returns this is going to change. But this has been my role in the last few years, my entire NBA career, and that’s when I feel comfortable

This is the only english website I found translating it:
https://www.football24.news/basketball/78206/nba-ricky-rubio-i-would-like-to-talk-to-the-coach-to-find-out-what-my-role-is.html

Trade request coming?

Good luck in your new home Rickster. Wish it would have worked out.
Charly
Freshman

Post#1347 » by Charly » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:34 am

New coach... same old system.

Rubio has nothing to prove to anyone.
The only important thing now is to enjoy playing, money has enough for several lives.
Destiny will take him to the right place sooner or later, in the US or Spain. It does not matter.
Just enjoy the trip!
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,408

Post#1348 » by winforlose » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:03 pm

Charly wrote:New coach... same old system.

The only important thing now is to enjoy playing, money has enough for several lives.
Destiny will take him to the right place sooner or later, in the US or Spain. It does not matter.
Just enjoy the trip!

Ricky has a lot to prove both at home and abroad. Ricky was always the floor general who couldn’t shoot. When left the wolves his shooting got better but his assist totals declined (at least in the first year, I didn’t follow him as closely after that.) Now back here he has regressed. You are correct that he has earned good money thus far, but he is only 30 and would love one or two good money contracts going forward. Ricky will probably do better on another team, but it is far from certain he has nothing left to prove.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#1349 » by Sugarless » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:58 pm

winforlose wrote:

Just enjoy the trip!

Ricky has a lot to prove both at home and abroad. Ricky was always the floor general who couldn’t shoot. When left the wolves his shooting got better but his assist totals declined (at least in the first year, I didn’t follow him as closely after that.) Now back here he has regressed. You are correct that he has earned good money thus far, but he is only 30 and would love one or two good money contracts going forward. Ricky will probably do better on another team, but it is far from certain he has nothing left to prove.

Yeah, it's clear you didn't watch him once he left Minnesota.

He's led the Jazz in the playoffs two consecutive years, led Spain to a World Championship while being the MVP of the competition (what the hell do you think he has to prove at home after that? :lol:), and helped turn around the Suns from a 19 win team to basically a playoff team (they missed the play-in only due to Lillard's last second heroics) that won 8 straight games and played great to close an injury and sanction riddled season when he had as usual the best +/- in the team and led one of the most efficient offenses in the league when they were at full strength. No, he has nothing left to prove.

He's also not returning to Spain anytime soon. He'll remain in the league for several years and hopefully join a team that at the very least tries to win games. And the sooner the better.
Charly
Freshman

Post#1350 » by Charly » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:09 pm

Ricky has been playing as a Pro level player since he was 14 years old.
Personally, he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. He is at that moment in his life where the only thing cares about is enjoying the game. If he is lucky enough to play on a team with great options, ok. If not, he will play where his talent and what he brings to a team were appreciated.
I think Minny is not the place, just a step in the trip.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1351 » by winforlose » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Sugarless wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Just enjoy the trip!

He's led the Jazz in the playoffs two consecutive years, led Spain to a World Championship while being the MVP of the competition (what the hell do you think he has to prove at home after that? :lol:), and helped turn around the Suns from a 19 win team to basically a playoff team (they missed the play-in only due to Lillard's last second heroics) that won 8 straight games and played great to close an injury and sanction riddled season when he had as usual the best +/- in the team and led one of the most efficient offenses in the league when they were at full strength. No, he has nothing left to prove.

He's also not returning to Spain anytime soon. He'll remain in the league for several years and hopefully join a team that at the very least tries to win games. And the sooner the better.

So what your saying is when his teammates are good enough to carry him he has success but when they need him to actually score, create, and contribute he cannot? Because the only alternative is your saying neither team could have made it with a different PG. I mean he carried Devin Booker, KOJ, and Ayton. Just like her carried the worthless Jazz both those seasons, or am I missing something?
Sugarless
Starter

Post#1352 » by Sugarless » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:50 pm

winforlose wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
winforlose wrote:

So what your saying is when his teammates are good enough to carry him he has success but when they need him to actually score, create, and contribute he cannot? Because the only alternative is your saying neither team could have made it with a different PG. I mean he carried Devin Booker, KOJ, and Ayton. Just like her carried the worthless Jazz both those seasons, or am I missing something?

Yeah, that's exactly what I said, that by him being the best Jazz player in the playoffs both seasons he was being carried by his teammates. He was also being carried by his teammates with the Spanish NT when he won the MVP and he was carried by Kelly Oubre (who wasn't even active during the 8-0 bubble run) and DeAndre Ayton, of all people. Man, are you missing everything. :lol:

Please stop talking out of your ass about a player and teams that you haven't watched. Getting exposed like that is really not dignified, at all.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1353 » by winforlose » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:03 pm

Sugarless wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Sugarless wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly what I said, that by him being the best Jazz player in the playoffs both seasons he was being carried by his teammates. He was also being carried by his teammates with the Spanish NT when he won the MVP and he was carried by Kelly Oubre (who wasn't even active during the 8-0 bubble run) and DeAndre Ayton, of all people. Man, are you missing everything. :lol:

Please stop talking out of your ass about a player and teams that you haven't watched. Getting exposed like that is really not dignified, at all.

I don’t watch or follow any basketball league other than the NBA. I cannot speak to what Ricky did with the Spanish national team. I can speak to what he was when he came here, as I watched him every season. Ricky increased his scoring by 2 points per game during his first year with Utah. He went from 11.1 to 13.1. His rebounding stayed about the same, and he averaged 4 less assists per game. You can check BB reference to confirm. Please explain to me how that is improvement?

I will grant you he had a better year last year playing in 65 games with a team that had a lot of firepower. Oh and I forgot to mention, during this his best season he still only averaged 13 points per game. That said, he came here and fell of a fu***** cliff. Look up his season numbers. Sure he got hot for a 4-5 game stretch, but that doesn’t make up for his role in our becoming the worst team in basketball. Averaging around 6 points per game for most of the season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,946

Post#1354 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Did you expect Finch to overhaul the system in one practice and a couple of walkthroughs?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Sugarless
Starter

Post#1355 » by Sugarless » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:02 pm

winforlose wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I don’t watch or follow any basketball league other than the NBA. I cannot speak to what Ricky did with the Spanish national team. I can speak to what he was when he came here, as I watched him every season. Ricky increased his scoring by 2 points per game during his first year with Utah. He went from 11.1 to 13.1. His rebounding stayed about the same, and he averaged 4 less assists per game. You can check BB reference to confirm. Please explain to me how that is improvement?

I will grant you he had a better year last year playing in 65 games with a team that had a lot of firepower. Oh and I forgot to mention, during this his best season he still only averaged 13 points per game. That said, he came here and fell of a fu***** cliff. Look up his season numbers. Sure he got hot for a 4-5 game stretch, but that doesn’t make up for his role in our becoming the worst team in basketball. Averaging around 6 points per game for most of the season.

Dude, seriously, I'm not discussing anything with a box-score watcher. :lol:
Heimdal
Sophomore

Post#1356 » by Heimdal » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:03 pm

Read on Twitter

"I love him. He's perfect for this team. I'm going to take the ball away from him, run everything through Towns and Edwards, and ask him to wait in a corner in case those 2 need his services. Perfect fit for him, perfect for this team, I'm telling you".

Fortunately, I think this love isn't going to last long, because Rosas is going to trade him. Nowell could do fine as the starting PG until Russell is back.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1357 » by winforlose » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Sugarless wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Sugarless wrote:

Yeah cause what do stats tell us about a player when there is an eye test we can rely on. Seriously, look at BB reference for the three years. If you cannot seriously and honestly explain why scoring 2 extra points per game is worth averaging 4 less assists per game, then it is hard to justify his massive improvement in 2017. Likewise look at the performances in 2018 and 2019. Even in his best year he wasn’t that improved. Also, that he could fall so far so fast on this team says a lot about him.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#1358 » by Sugarless » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:02 pm

winforlose wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Yeah cause what do stats tell us about a player when there is an eye test we can rely on. Seriously, look at BB reference for the three years. If you cannot seriously and honestly explain why scoring 2 extra points per game is worth averaging 4 less assists per game, then it is hard to justify his massive improvement in 2017. Likewise look at the performances in 2018 and 2019. Even in his best year he wasn’t that improved. Also, that he could fall so far so fast on this team says a lot about him.

You really should stop, man. You're not doing yourself a favor by continuing to talk about Basketball Reference. :lol:
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1359 » by winforlose » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:06 pm

Sugarless wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Sugarless wrote:

You really should stop, man. You're not doing yourself a favor by continuing to talk about Basketball Reference. :lol:

Whereas your adding a laughing emoji proves your point :lol:

Since I added one to does that mean your automatically wrong?
Heimdal
Sophomore

Post#1360 » by Heimdal » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:13 pm

winforlose, I've watched almost every Rubio game in the NBA, and as anyone who's followed him will tell you, he played the best basketball of his career in Utah and Phoenix. Example:

Jazz season 1. Rubio is playing terrible and the Jazz are 19-28. Win or tank game @Detroit. They barely win and completely turn around their season, finishing 29-6. Yes, Ricky Rubio started at PG for a team that went 29-6. Think about it for a moment. His stats?

MP 29.6 PTS 16.0 RB 5.3 AST 6.1 FG% .462 3P% .438 FT% .865 +/- +11.3

Playoffs against OKC. Series tied 1-1, huge game 3, Rubio goes 26-10-11 vs Westbrook. Game won, series won 4-2. Rubio got injured in that 6th game and couldn't play against the Rockets.

You will of course point out at the start of the season or whatever, but that season as a whole is personally a complete success for Rubio. Obviously way better than any period of time as a Wolf. You can't compare watching every game to spending 5 minutes roaming around basketball reference.

That season Rubio showed he could start and win a playoff series, something many Wolves' fans thought impossible at the time. This franchise has a hard time finding players capable of doing just that, and when they do get them, they don't know how to use them.

So, 2021, Rubio and the Wolves are a terrible fit. Trade him asap so he gets to play for a better franchise (anyone) and the Wolves get those 17M off the books. I'm sure we all agree on that.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves