Rookie Play, Highlights & Discussion

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who are your top 3?

Anthony
4%
Ball
34%
Bey
4%
Edwards
18%
Haliburton
24%
Okoro
1%
Quickley
10%
Tate
1%
Williams
2%
Wiseman
4%

Total votes: 735

JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,555

Re: Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#761 » by JimmyPlopper » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:56 am

I thought Poskuevski was a great guy for the Thunder to target in the draft and I still believe he will be a very good player. He has really been thrown into minutes that he might not get on many other teams, and so far, his play has been predictably bad (with a few glimmers here and there).
you can't kill me - i was born dead
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Re: Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#762 » by cool007 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:25 am

Clocian wrote:

Pat going up against his pops Kawhai. Great game by him with good defense, with a couple steals, and legit 3 pt shooting

Man Patrick Williams is going to be a stud. He is already a pretty damn good defender and his mid-range game is just money and he is also shooting 3s at high % as well. He really doesn't get many opportunities but when he does, he is showing some nice moves and scoring ability.

Once he puts everything together offensively, I think he has a pretty high ceiling.
The411
Pro Prospect
And1: 473

Post#763 » by The411 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:09 am

As I said earlier. Edwards is a shooting guard that can’t shoot.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#764 » by DroseReturnChi » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:58 am

The411 wrote:As I said earlier. Edwards is a shooting guard that can’t shoot.

All the top 3 picks have similar issues. Edwards/Ball cannot shoot and Wiseman cant defend he cant crack 20mins in a crappy roster.
This draft will be similar to a Giannis draft where a stud from mid teens will be the best player.
80% of the lottery prospects stink while the mid-late round prospects are just playing out of their minds..
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,109

Post#766 » by art_tatum » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:28 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:

All the top 3 picks have similar issues. Edwards/Ball cannot shoot and Wiseman cant defend he cant crack 20mins in a crappy roster.
This draft will be similar to a Giannis draft where a stud from mid teens will be the best player.
80% of the lottery prospects stink while the mid-late round prospects are just playing out of their minds..

Lol wiseman can't defend? Guess u havent been watching, He has the potential to be on the all D teams for a decade once he hits his early prime.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,209

Post#767 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:45 pm

JimmyPlopper wrote:I thought Poskuevski was a great guy for the Thunder to target in the draft and I still believe he will be a very good player. He has really been thrown into minutes that he might not get on many other teams, and so far, his play has been predictably bad (with a few glimmers here and there).

He's so far away from doing anything even close to average that it's hard to be optimistic. Most of us have pretty much written off this year and hope we can see some progress next year. The shooting has been the only thing that is disappointing since most of us expected him to be decent.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#768 » by God Squad » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:54 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
13th Man wrote:Tyrese Maxey or Saddiq Bey for fantasy going forward?
Maxey put up 33 (thirty three!) shots today. Buyers beware.

C’mon, the guy was practically playing one on five on the offensive end with the Sixers down to a handful of scribes today. If you actually watched any of the game, he stood out, despite the circumstances. Whether he ends up good vs great depends on how much he can consolidate that outside shot.

That has nothing to do with Fantany. Maxey isn't getting 33 or even 15 shots per game. You're better off with Bey IMO.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,365

Post#769 » by Ambrose » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:02 pm

Quentin wrote:
crows2 wrote:
kane0801 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sums it up nicely. Ball and Haliburton clearly ahead of the pack at this stage.

Not fair for Edwards here. He is playing with a bunch of G leaguers and they have absolutely no one at PF or C right now.

He's been terrible.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#770 » by pipfan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:08 pm

Bulls fans are very happy with Williams. He is so mature and plays solid D already. He could easily be the best overall player from this draft
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#771 » by yitur » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:32 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:

We have small sample size right now and his percentage might drop after a couple of bad games here and there but how is a rookie shooting 35.6% from three and takes half of his shots from the three is considered as can not shoot?
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#772 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:38 am

Senchu wrote:

Nice moves.

The guy handled the ball from the back court, right at FVV, got past him and in one dribble from OUTSIDE the 3 point line was able to dunk it in transition (0:21 in the video). That play was so crazy I was surprised it didnt make nba top 10. It takes a special combination of skill and physical freakishness to complete a play like that.
The411
Pro Prospect
And1: 473

Post#774 » by The411 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:16 pm

yitur wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:

We have small sample size right now and his percentage might drop after a couple of bad games here and there but how is a rookie shooting 35.6% from three and takes half of his shots from the three is considered as can not shoot?

He's shooting 38.8% from the field and 27.6% from three with a TS of .475.

He's shooting 10.4% on shots between 3-10 feet. 6% from 10-16.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#775 » by yitur » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:56 pm

The411 wrote:
yitur wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:

He's shooting 38.8% from the field and 27.6% from three with a TS of .475.

He's shooting 10.4% on shots between 3-10 feet. 6% from 10-16.

I was talking about Lamelo Ball.
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#776 » by chabber » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#777 » by Senchu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 pm

chabber wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Am i the only one who hears of TPA for the first time?
What are these stats
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#778 » by khufure » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:40 am

I'm pretty impressed with this year's class, especially considering all the COVID circumstances. I don't follow college hoops. To those that watch college ball, the 2020 class was largely labeled underwhelming. But there's some real gems even at later points (Haliburton etc). 2018 had Doncic & MPJ, 2019 had Zion & Ja, but I think a 2020 draft player could someday win MVP as well. Awesome. Keep posting highlights and lets enjoy a fun race.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,999

Post#779 » by anotherhomer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:05 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
Senchu wrote:

Nice moves.

The guy handled the ball from the back court, right at FVV, got past him and in one dribble from OUTSIDE the 3 point line was able to dunk it in transition (0:21 in the video). That play was so crazy I was surprised it didnt make nba top 10. It takes a special combination of skill and physical freakishness to complete a play like that.

i'm impressed by wiseman's talent
but as a warriors fan, any reason why kerr isn't trusting wiseman at end of close games now?
the last few games, he hasn't entered the 4th quarter i noticed.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#780 » by SF_Warriors » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:17 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Senchu wrote:

Nice moves.

i'm impressed by wiseman's talent
but as a warriors fan, any reason why kerr isn't trusting wiseman at end of close games now?
the last few games, he hasn't entered the 4th quarter i noticed.

Wiseman isnt even close to being ready for crunch time minutes. His overall defense is still average to below average, and his offense is also average at best right now. We've seen flashes which is great but he hasnt put it all together.

Return to The General Board