ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (Non-Celtics) 2020-21, Part 1

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Re: Around the NBA (Non-Celtics) 2020-21, Part 1 

Post#941 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:41 am

bisme37 wrote:I don't understand why the Nets had to annihilate us on Xmas before deciding to be a flaming pile of garbage.

They were at full power then. Since then they've lost a starter for the year and Durant and Irving have missed games.
*Insert witty signature here.*
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,847

Post#942 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:36 am

I watched the Tony Parker documentary on Netflix and it was mentioned the Celtics were supposed to draft him but then changed their minds at the last second.

Glad to know this thing where the Cs were supposed to draft/trade for this guy and that predates GM Danny Ainge lol (we were also supposed to take Tim Duncan had we gotten the #1).
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#943 » by Triple7 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:07 am

Watching some highlights of some charlotte’s games. Hayward is really playing one of his best basketball in recent years. Last year, we we have a dynamic offensive talents on this team with Kemba, hayward, brown and Tatum. Hayward and Kemba’s mid range game were elite. Not to mention Haywards playmaking skills. We really need to get someone soon to ease the pressure for the J’s to deliver every game. We need an additional shooter, an additional player that can drive inside. Some one that can create his own shot. I wanted a legit big in the off season, but i guess the hayward situation left us with limited options, and Ainge had to settle for TT, who i think doesn’t move anything.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#944 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Triple7 wrote:Watching some highlights of some charlotte’s games. Hayward is really playing one of his best basketball in recent years. Last year, we we have a dynamic offensive talents on this team with Kemba, hayward, brown and Tatum. Hayward and Kemba’s mid range game were elite. Not to mention Haywards playmaking skills. We really need to get someone soon to ease the pressure for the J’s to deliver every game. We need an additional shooter, an additional player that can drive inside. Some one that can create his own shot. I wanted a legit big in the off season, but i guess the hayward situation left us with limited options, and Ainge had to settle for TT, who i think doesn’t move anything.

He looks great and all of a sudden that Hayward contract isn't so bad. The injuries are part of the reason why Hayward didn't work out the other part is that I don't know if they expected Brown and Tatum to be this good. When Hayward missed the season then understandably was not the same player the next year Brown and Tatum evolved and ending up bumping Hayward down to the 3rd or 4th option.

I liked the TT signing at the time because the Celtics needed bigs but he has not looked great so far. He can rebound which is nice but don't think he D is great and neither is his offense. His hook shot is so flat that I swear every time he uses it the ball barely gets over the front of the rim.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#945 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:20 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:I watched the Tony Parker documentary on Netflix and it was mentioned the Celtics were supposed to draft him but then changed their minds at the last second.

Glad to know this thing where the Cs were supposed to draft/trade for this guy and that predates GM Danny Ainge lol (we were also supposed to take Tim Duncan had we gotten the #1).

That draft ended up being a complete disaster. Traded Joe Johnson after 48 games because they thought Brown, who had zero basketball ability, but was athletic, was going to be better than Johnson.

From my understanding Auerbach wanted Forte but looking back it was probably not the best idea to let an 84 year old who has been away from the game forever to made draft decisions.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#946 » by Disinformation » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:38 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:I watched the Tony Parker documentary on Netflix and it was mentioned the Celtics were supposed to draft him but then changed their minds at the last second.

That draft ended up being a complete disaster. Traded Joe Johnson after 48 games because they thought Brown, who had zero basketball ability, but was athletic, was going to be better than Johnson.

From my understanding Auerbach wanted Forte but looking back it was probably not the best idea to let an 84 year old who has been away from the game forever to made draft decisions.

Yeah, sadly the Forte > Parker pick was all Red. But it's easy to forget that when thinking about all the amazing moves he made over the years.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#947 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:44 pm

The next time the Celtics play a game Kemba will be our starting PG :smile:
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#948 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:10 am

celticfan42487 wrote:The next time the Celtics play a game Kemba will be our starting PG :smile:

Nah, he's gotta practice first. He would've had a week of practice before that Magic game to make sure he's ready but the facility is closed now.

Btw, Hayward 28 at half against the Knicks. Wow.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#949 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:10 am

Hayward with 28 at the half. 10 FTs made. Hornets are really good at sharing the ball. His teammates finding him on his cuts and coming off curls.
GoCeltics123
RealGM

Post#950 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:21 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Hayward with 28 at the half. 10 FTs made. Hornets are really good at sharing the ball. His teammates finding him on his cuts and coming off curls.

Pretty clear Hayward picked Charlotte since he would be their #1 option (along with the money). He's top dog there
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#951 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:24 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Hayward with 28 at the half. 10 FTs made. Hornets are really good at sharing the ball. His teammates finding him on his cuts and coming off curls.

Pretty clear Hayward picked Charlotte since he would be their #1 option (along with the money). He's top dog there

Yeah, he was never gonna be that in Boston after the ascent of the Jays. Also clear that the guy's still got game. Just unfortunate circumstances while he was with the Cs.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#952 » by jmr07019 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:27 am

I didn’t expect Hayward to be playing this well. Thought he would be slowly but steadily declining. Couldn’t have been more wrong the dude is balling out.
Show Love Spread Love
GoCeltics123
RealGM

Post#953 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:35 am

Read on Twitter

This probably says it best
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#954 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:52 am

This is something I've been concerned with for awhile.

We still don't find open shots for players the way IT did.

Irving was the worst and would just dribble into terrible shots and dump off with no ball movement. Rozier was no better during his time here.

Tatum does a pick and roll that is good for finding his own shot, or ISOs that are bad at finding his own shot.

Smart and Brown don't really have any playmaking ability. Smart plays the game like an untalented Irving with his passing so he'll mainly get dump off or alley oop assists.

But we really don't have a driving force that can drive and kick or excellent playmaking in our rotation. So I could see that along with our ISO prone players during Hayward's time here really holding him back as he's not someone that's got explosiveness left in his body to also just ISO for a score.

And we always said when he was here he was the best passer and decision maker with the ball.

I legit have some hopes that Pritchard can start reigniting in a lesser way with his probing dribbles even though they aren't the offensive superstar drive and kicks that every offense wants like IT was giving us. But I have hopes he'll start mitigating that deficiency some. Kemba was doing some drive and kicks while he was out there too but it wasn't like the offense was purely focused on him doing that over and over again and taking on that kind of burden like it was for IT who make Crowder and Bradley sharpshooters with the endless open shots they got as a result.

I'm completely flabbergasted that Charlotte is finding ways to get him WIDE OPEN shot after shot. It's something to look at because they shouldn't have the talent level to do that.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#955 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:53 am

It was always a health (never a long stretch without an injury) and usage (never higher than a 2nd option) issue with Hayward. Any other criticism was mostly noise.

Still wouldn't pay him this much on the Cs.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#956 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:55 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:It was always a health (never a long stretch without an injury) and usage (never higher than a 2nd option) issue with Hayward. Any other criticism was mostly noise.

Still wouldn't pay him this much on the Cs.

Agreed, I'm not buying into the risk of that body. But I never wanted to lose him for absolutely nothing either.

Push comes to shove though I'd choose not to lock into that body for big money long term.

And I get it for our owners getting out of paying any luxury tax at all was a huge priority for them. We don't have the endlessly wealthy owner advantage.
Dangit
Starter
And1: 1,902

Post#957 » by Dangit » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:14 am

Which is something his teammates refused to do here .... dude probably moves without the ball better then anyone in the league.... shame we couldn't figure it out .... we'd be dangerous....Hayward is playing elite basketball right now.
Postby YouthMovement on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

im 19 and i can say paul pierce ruined my childhood
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#958 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:40 am

When predicting All-Star selections in the East, don't forget about Hayward.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Triple7
RealGM

Post#959 » by Triple7 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:57 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Triple7 wrote:Watching some highlights of some charlotte’s games. Hayward is really playing one of his best basketball in recent years. Last year, we we have a dynamic offensive talents on this team with Kemba, hayward, brown and Tatum. Hayward and Kemba’s mid range game were elite. Not to mention Haywards playmaking skills. We really need to get someone soon to ease the pressure for the J’s to deliver every game. We need an additional shooter, an additional player that can drive inside. Some one that can create his own shot. I wanted a legit big in the off season, but i guess the hayward situation left us with limited options, and Ainge had to settle for TT, who i think doesn’t move anything.

He looks great and all of a sudden that Hayward contract isn't so bad. The injuries are part of the reason why Hayward didn't work out the other part is that I don't know if they expected Brown and Tatum to be this good. When Hayward missed the season then understandably was not the same player the next year Brown and Tatum evolved and ending up bumping Hayward down to the 3rd or 4th option.

I liked the TT signing at the time because the Celtics needed bigs but he has not looked great so far. He can rebound which is nice but don't think he D is great and neither is his offense. His hook shot is so flat that I swear every time he uses it the ball barely gets over the front of the rim.

That’s because he doesn’t have any shooting touch around the rim. He just throws the ball at the rim, hoping it would get in somehow. It looks ugly, and everytime he shoots a hook, you know it’s now going in. He is a fake big guy. Now i’m annoyed by all the talk he has done in the off season, about wanting to be like smart defensively lol. All bark no bite. Still i hope he gets better as the season goes along, but not really keeping my hopes up.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#960 » by Triple7 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:10 am

celticfan42487 wrote:

This is something I've been concerned with for awhile.

We still don't find open shots for players the way IT did.

Irving was the worst and would just dribble into terrible shots and dump off with no ball movement. Rozier was no better during his time here.

Tatum does a pick and roll that is good for finding his own shot, or ISOs that are bad at finding his own shot.

Smart and Brown don't really have any playmaking ability. Smart plays the game like an untalented Irving with his passing so he'll mainly get dump off or alley oop assists.

But we really don't have a driving force that can drive and kick or excellent playmaking in our rotation. So I could see that along with our ISO prone players during Hayward's time here really holding him back as he's not someone that's got explosiveness left in his body to also just ISO for a score.

And we always said when he was here he was the best passer and decision maker with the ball.

I legit have some hopes that Pritchard can start reigniting in a lesser way with his probing dribbles even though they aren't the offensive superstar drive and kicks that every offense wants like IT was giving us. But I have hopes he'll start mitigating that deficiency some. Kemba was doing some drive and kicks while he was out there too but it wasn't like the offense was purely focused on him doing that over and over again and taking on that kind of burden like it was for IT who make Crowder and Bradley sharpshooters with the endless open shots they got as a result.

I'm completely flabbergasted that Charlotte is finding ways to get him WIDE OPEN shot after shot. It's something to look at because they shouldn't have the talent level to do that.

I agree with the smart playmaking ability. He is just not that good. He should just focus on defense, because that’s the only thing reliable from him. He is a horrible shooter for a guard, his playmaking is just average at best. He passes the ball with too much risk for a turnover. A good playmaker, sets his teammates up for the best possible chance to score easy, open baskets. He does a lot of boneheaded plays, chucking off 3’s early in the shot clock, and the guy never stops shooting 3’s despite his horrid shooting. If only he would stop shooting at all, and just do all the intangibles needed for us to win, then the team would be better.

Return to Boston Celtics