ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets 2021 Trade Speculation/Ideas thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: Nets 2021 Trade Speculation/Ideas thread 

Post#61 » by DarkXaero » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:George Hill would fix a lot of our problems and it seems logical that we could get him for a first rounder.

But that basically takes all PT away from Shamet. We would basically just be admitting defeat on that move.
I think we should flip Shamet by deadline, and try to get some value back in one of these trades. I'm sure his shooting won't remain this bad, but I'm not a fan of having a young, inconsistent shooter on a contender roster (that we used a 1st for).
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#62 » by DarkXaero » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 pm

haosmoove wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I was pretty adamant that we needed to make significant moves before this season started, and unfortunately, what I've seen in our 11 games so far only reinforces that thinking. I think we need to target multiple players to make a move for by deadline. Fortunately, I do think there will be a pretty active trade market (unless season is derailed by covid). The three names that come to mind right now:

1) Zach Lavine
2) Larry Nance Jr.
3) George Hill

I think we should try to get all 3 players, and I do believe that we have the assets to get those players if we're willing. Lavine is the hardest one to get out of the 3 but there's reason to believe why he could be available. Assuming that Bulls continue on a lotto trajectory, Lavine will continue to grow frustrated over there. Bulls FO has a big decision to make soon: whether to re-sign him on a max or sell high. He has one more year left on his deal after this season, and there's a strong argument for Bulls to sell high on him. Looking at the Bulls fans, majority of them seem to think that they should sell high on him, and undergo a proper rebuild as they're going nowhere with this current roster. I've been over the reasons before why I think Lavine is a really good fit for us. He's an excellent off ball shooter, who continues to be an efficient scorer, and is a great fit as 3rd option. He has improved defensively, and I don't think he would be any worse on that end than what we have now.

Larry Nance Jr is another great fit for us as a 4/5 who would improve our defense, rebounding, energy level, and help us get DJ out of the rotation. He can play as a small ball/stretch 5, and he's also capable of starting next to Allen as he can stretch the floor. I don't think that getting him would be easy as Cavs have been playing him more minutes than ever before, due to Love's injury (which is a frequent occurrence). But Cavs are ultimately a lotto team and I don't think it makes much sense for them to keep Nance, if they're committed to rebuilding.

Lastly, George Hill should be the easiest one to get out of the three, as I think that OKC will 100% look to trade him to a contender by deadline. Hill is a great vet for a contender, who fits perfectly as a backup PG on this team. I wouldn't give up too much for him, but I think he can be had for a reasonable price.

It is still relatively early in the season, and we can definitely turn things around with what we have, but I've seen enough to have major doubts about how far we can go in post-season. I think adding pieces like this would go a long way in fixing our existing issues and fortunately, I do believe that we still have the assets to make these trades (I know some here will strongly disagree on that).

Lavine is logical target, although he won't fix our defensive woes. I am meh on the other 2, they add more depth for us but I think that's not our main problem.
All of 3 would improve us a lot. Lavine isn't a defensive sieve anymore, he has shown improvements on that end, and I personally don't think he's any worse than the SG options we have on that end(Brown aside). I think with a lesser scoring load, he can improve more on that end. Nance Jr is actually a plus defender and would definitely improve us defensively, and on rebounding. He's a high energy big who fits our transition game, and he can shoot the 3 as well at a decent clip. He can actually allow us to limit DJ's minutes further, as Nance can cover 4 & 5. George Hill is a very solid vet who competes defensively, and he's a very good shooter along with being a capable playmaker. For a backup PG, he's excellent.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#63 » by DarkXaero » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 pm

haosmoove wrote:Time to revisit Aaron Gordon or Otto Porter?
I'm not an Aaron Gordon fan, and Otto Potter's salary is too high to consider (for matching purposes). Nance Jr is a better player and a better fit than Gordon imo.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#64 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:02 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
I'm not an Aaron Gordon fan, and Otto Potter's salary is too high to consider (for matching purposes). Nance Jr is a better player and a better fit than Gordon imo.

Cavs probably think they can contend for the play in tournament and have little incentive to trade Nance when they need him.

I don't see how Gordon solves anything to be honest.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#65 » by DarkXaero » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:49 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

Cavs probably think they can contend for the play in tournament and have little incentive to trade Nance when they need him.

Eh, I think Cavs will start losing games soon, they're off to a good start but so are other bad teams in the league. Their roster isn't good enough to sustain this pace.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#66 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:57 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I'm not an Aaron Gordon fan, and Otto Potter's salary is too high to consider (for matching purposes). Nance Jr is a better player and a better fit than Gordon imo.

Eh, I think Cavs will start losing games soon, they're off to a good start but so are other bad teams in the league. Their roster isn't good enough to sustain this pace.

You dont need to be very good at all to be the 10 seed in the East
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#67 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:09 pm

Does anyone want to address the topic of Al Horford again? As we saw last night, he could do a lot to help us, and he wouldn't cost more than Jordan, Prince and a 2nd.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#68 » by DarkXaero » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:26 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

There are plenty of teams they need to compete with to be within top 10. Hornets, Hawks, Magic, Wizards are all better teams on paper.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#69 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 am

DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Eh, I think Cavs will start losing games soon, they're off to a good start but so are other bad teams in the league. Their roster isn't good enough to sustain this pace.

There are plenty of teams they need to compete with to be within top 10. Hornets, Hawks, Magic, Wizards are all better teams on paper.

Yeah I'd rather take my chances if I'm the Cavs then dump Larry Nance to get back a first rounder from the Nets lol.

Its not happening.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#70 » by DarkXaero » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:56 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Yeah I'd rather take my chances if I'm the Cavs then dump Larry Nance to get back a first rounder from the Nets lol.

Its not happening.
Ok, I guess I'll move on.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#71 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:05 am

DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:There are plenty of teams they need to compete with to be within top 10. Hornets, Hawks, Magic, Wizards are all better teams on paper.

Its not happening.
Ok, I guess I'll move on.

Yeah, I would also love to have Nance, but I don't think he's going anywhere. He's on a great value contract that actually downscales in his prime. He's comfortable and productive coming off the bench or starting, and is the glue of the frontcourt with so many of their other bigs prone to injury or foul trouble.

I was hoping the Cavaliers would draft Toppin or Okongwu, to make Larry surplus to requirements, but no such luck. They need him.
-- Steve Martin
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,596

Post#72 » by NYG » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 am

Would you guys make a kings ransom offer to Minnesota for Towns if it kept Kyrie and KD? I think you would have a compelling offer if you did honestly, don't know how it fits on D, but on the offensive end, it's a solid trio.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#73 » by cedric76 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 am

I think a trade around levert and Gordon make too much sense for both teams
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#74 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:57 pm

NYG wrote:Would you guys make a kings ransom offer to Minnesota for Towns if it kept Kyrie and KD? I think you would have a compelling offer if you did honestly, don't know how it fits on D, but on the offensive end, it's a solid trio.

Yes. Yes, we would. Our front office desires him, not only because he grew up locally and is friends with Kyrie, but because his game would fit well with Kevin.

I don't *think* Minnesota will move either KAT or Russell, since they are happy together. But we'll be watching in case the Wolves decide to blow up the team. It's a loooooong shot.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Brooklyn Nets