ImageImageImage

Official Anthony Edwards Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Re: Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#401 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:17 pm

vtime wrote:Any regrets on not drafting Lamelo?

I don't have those regrets. I believe Edwards has superstar potential, while Lamelo is at best gonna be a fringe all star. Lamelo's pro experience is showing now, while this is Edwards' 1st serious basketball of his life. Wait for a season or two to evaluate.
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#402 » by Heimdal » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:33 pm

Wolves should first and foremost build a solid team where rookies can feed off the talent and effort of their veteran teammates. Where they can enjoy their entrance to elite basketball, where pressure is off and the veterans take the tough shots, get the tough assignments and take the blame after losses. Then, after hours of pressure-free NBA basketball, after weaknesses have been hidden to be then erased, strengths have been polished, and nerves are out of the way, you increase their load and responsibilities.

Edwards has to play, but Saunders must:
*Limit his minutes. He's 19!! Long career ahead.

*Polish his game: he can't be given the green light to play like in Georgia. He MUST learn team basketball, learn to move off ball, learn to play defense. He's capable of staying in front of the ball carrier (which is great), but that's the only defensive trait he owns, because he's completely lost when the chess pieces move and he's got to pursue, rotate, or help. For instance, there was a play where he was defending their Center in the middle of the paint with Naz Reid besides him. He realized like 3 seconds later that his man was 20 feet away, preparing to launch a wide open 3. He's like a deer in the headlights way too often.

*Don't put him in a position where he can single handedly lose games. First, we need to win badly. Second, he doesn't need traumas. He's not going to learn from traumas (see Spurs game 2). Through those experiences you end up with mentally broken rookies like Culver or Wiggins.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#403 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:36 pm

Nope
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,137

Post#404 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:53 pm

His problem is, he just stands there. He should learn how to move without the ball. And fastbreak, why would he run to the 3pt line instead of going hard on the paint.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#405 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:21 pm

I hope not. But who knows...
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#406 » by Killboard » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Not at all. Lamelo is doing great, but you also have to consider what structure both players are given. The Hornets barely did changes in their rotation, the Wolves are still figuring out how to use theirs, and had to re adapt with KAT out. Both players excel when the lane is open, and the Hornets are playing PJ Washington and Miles Bridges while the Wolves without KAT have played Davis/Naz/Vanderbilt a lot of minutes.

Edwards defense and rebounding has been problematic, but he has the tools to improve moving forward. The same with his outside shooting. In the other hand his passing and dribbling are better than I expected. He still needs consistency to make the right decision and adapt to what that precise game requires, but given those skills are hard to teach I'm feeling good about the Wolves decision.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#407 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:27 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:His problem is, he just stands there. He should learn how to move without the ball. And fastbreak, why would he run to the 3pt line instead of going hard on the paint.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will take time for him to realize that's what you gotta do at the highest level to get to the winning basketball, his best bet so far in his career's been to play on-ball at the top of the key. And there's also the conditioning aspect, you get tired running up and down the court, guys lose breath if they have to run to use off-ball screens to maybe get free, or set screens themselves, and then when you get the ball breathless, the shot you take is usually not a high quality shot.

So he probably lacks both the understanding and conditioning.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#408 » by DaMplsKid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:08 pm

I personally wanted Wiseman but, I like what I seen for the most part from Edwards as starting to see his potential which could be really high.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#409 » by jpatrick » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:08 pm

Personally, I think Ball is a future top 20 NBA player, so of course I wish we’d have taken him. He’s playing similarly to how he did in the last half of his NBL games (small sample there).

Edwards, similarly, is playing exactly like he did at UGA. Not a lot of BBIQ, poor shot selection, and generally not playing in a way that leads to winning. Like at UGA, he flashes physical, shot making, and even passing abilities though.

In the end, I think Edwards will be a 20ppg scorer. I just hope he gets coaching and team structure that makes those points lead to winning basketball. Melo does so many of those little winning things and has off the charts BBIQ, that’s why I favored him. We’ll have to see a few years from now who’s better. For all we know, could be someone like Patrick Williams or Poku who turns out to be the star from this draft.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#410 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:12 pm

What I'm seeing from Edwards isn't a selfish player. He's not a JR Smith or Nick Young in that way. I think he just has to continue to develop an understanding of when to shoot and when to pass.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#411 » by DaMplsKid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:20 pm

The one thing I worry about with Ant so far is his attitude. This guy think soooooooooo highly of himself already this could have two problems.

First: is how does that play out with the veterans in the locker room. Guys who are 24-30yrs old been in the league for years and know what it takes hear this rookie talk interviews like he has got it all figured out and the game is easy. I could see this rubbing guys the wrong way especially when we are losing big and for long stretches.

Second: In about coaching, it could be hard to coach a kid who think he has already figured it out. I hope he realized his game can get so much better and he need to work really hard to reach that level. This attitude could lead him to believe he has nothing to work on and can just keep doing what he is doing.

Don't get me wrong I would rather have Edwards attitude then Wiggins any day of the week. I just hope Edwards realizes if you talk a big game you also have to walk a big game. I hope he doesn't look at box scores points and think that makes winning basketball. He have seen he can score so, that can lead to believing it good enough. After playing a solid defense in SA twice I hope he realized he still has a long way to go and does just blame bad games on bad shooting nights cause SA shut him down all over the court not just shooting.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#412 » by Killboard » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:05 pm

Those are the type of plays that will make Ant great if he can do it consistently.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#413 » by Heimdal » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:28 pm

DaMplsKid wrote:The one thing I worry about with Ant so far is his attitude. This guy think soooooooooo highly of himself already this could have two problems.

First: is how does that play out with the veterans in the locker room. Guys who are 24-30yrs old been in the league for years and know what it takes hear this rookie talk interviews like he has got it all figured out and the game is easy. I could see this rubbing guys the wrong way especially when we are losing big and for long stretches.

Second: In about coaching, it could be hard to coach a kid who think he has already figured it out. I hope he realized his game can get so much better and he need to work really hard to reach that level. This attitude could lead him to believe he has nothing to work on and can just keep doing what he is doing.

Don't get me wrong I would rather have Edwards attitude then Wiggins any day of the week. I just hope Edwards realizes if you talk a big game you also have to walk a big game. I hope he doesn't look at box scores points and think that makes winning basketball. He have seen he can score so, that can lead to believing it good enough. After playing a solid defense in SA twice I hope he realized he still has a long way to go and does just blame bad games on bad shooting nights cause SA shut him down all over the court not just shooting.

I think his words to the media are purely for fun. No way he thinks so highly of himself, much less after playing a few NBA games and getting to see the likes of Lillard and Jokic. He's going to learn soon talking like he does only applies tremendous pressure to himself, because if he doesn't perform his words become pure comedy.

I believe he is going to be great with proper coaching. He looks willing to work hard and pass the ball. Talent and athleticism are there.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 835

Post#414 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:09 pm

The top 3 rooks have looked good.

I was a Lamelo guy all day and knew he had game. But Edwards has impressed me too. Too early to say who is better.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#415 » by AbeVigodaLive » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:13 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:The top 3 rooks have looked good.

I was a Lamelo guy all day and knew he had game. But Edwards has impressed me too. Too early to say who is better.

Advanced stats suggest there is no comparison between Ball and Wiseman and Edwards.

Ball and Haliburton are head-and-shoulders above all other rookies... and essentially the only ones who are positive on the court right now.

That doesn't mean they're going to be the best long term. And that's not to suggest Edwards and Wiseman and others haven't shown impressive flashes... but they simply haven't been nearly as impactful or consistent.

The advanced metrics are staggering amid the early 10-game sample.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#416 » by Killboard » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:52 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Advanced stats suggest there is no comparison between Ball and Wiseman and Edwards.

Ball and Haliburton are head-and-shoulders above all other rookies... and essentially the only ones who are positive on the court right now.

That doesn't mean they're going to be the best long term. And that's not to suggest Edwards and Wiseman and others haven't shown impressive flashes... but they simply haven't been nearly as impactful or consistent.

Most (if not all) advanced metrics take into account: team success, rebounds or need a big sample to be reliable.

Of all 3 Edwards only can control the rebounds, and he has been bad at it so far. If he is going to rebound like this the rest of his career I would be really concerned, but I don't think that will be the case.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#417 » by Krapinsky » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:24 am

mercgold3 wrote:

I hope not. But who knows...

I have some regrets. How can we not? I think we have the worst track record of drafting and/or not drafting Point Guards of any team in the history of the NBA.

In 2020, we picked Edwards over Ball. [Jury is still out but Ball has been incredible]
In 2019, we tried and failed to move up and get Garland and ended up with Culver. [Garland looks legit, not so Culver]
In 2016, we picked Dunn over Murray.
In 2013, we picked Trey Burke one spot above CJ McCollum, only to trade Burke for Shabazz and Dieng (and making things worse taking Shabazz one pick before Giannis)
In 2011, what was perceived to be a 2 player draft, we got the #2 pick and ended up with Derrick Williams instead of 6x all star Kyrie.
In 2009, we picked Rubio and Flynn over future hall of famer Curry.
In 2006, we had our eyes set on a PG and took Randy Foye in place of 3x all star Brandon Roy.
In 1996, we picked Stephon Marbury over hall of famer Ray Allen.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#418 » by Jedzz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:55 am

Don't piss on Starbury's grave before he's in it. He was entertainment.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#419 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:26 am

Killboard wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Most (if not all) advanced metrics take into account: team success, rebounds or need a big sample to be reliable.

Of all 3 Edwards only can control the rebounds, and he has been bad at it so far. If he is going to rebound like this the rest of his career I would be really concerned, but I don't think that will be the case.

Yes. As we both acknowledged, small sample size. But we're not talking fractions of a point here. It's a significant difference.

It's not like Haliburton and Ball are playing for juggernauts. But both are doing things to help their teams win.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#420 » by minimus » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:00 am

Draft pick should be judged after 2-3 years. Jamal Murray was considered as meh selection at very beginning of his career. He was considered as a meh again when DEN re-sgned him to max contract.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves