Hield instead of Beal

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 758

Hield instead of Beal 

Post#1 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:33 am

Pels send Lonzo JJ and an unprotected first to Sacramento for Buddy.

Pels need shooting and Buddy would EAT off of the looks he’d get from BI and Zion. Also trading Zo clarifies the roles of the starters. No more two point guard looks to start the game.

Sacramento gets a first, financial flexibility and short term bench help and depth. I think Lonzo and Jj have value still and something like a trade to Boston for their first makes sense but I didn’t want to complicate the deal.

This move would make the Pels even thinner which is a concern but hopefully they could move Melli, NAW and Hayes for more support.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Re: Hield instead of Beal 

Post#2 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:57 am

Agreed that Buddy would eat. That said, I'd do the trade with salary filler in place of lonzo. Even though I'm a huge buddy Stan and think he's going to be great on a competent team, I'm just not sure sac will ever be competent

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#3 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:37 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Agreed that Buddy would eat. That said, I'd do the trade with salary filler in place of lonzo. Even though I'm a huge buddy Stan and think he's going to be great on a competent team, I'm just not sure sac will ever be competent

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app

At this point, the only other salary filler we have is Nico Melli. We still have Jaxon Hayes and NAW too but if we were to move them I’d like to get some value for them, ideally Mo Bamba and a competent backup point.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,476

Post#4 » by Jon1798 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:11 pm

Why on earth would the Pels do that? I dont want to get slapped for going too far, but this is insanity no? Do we even want Buddy for free on his deal? Defense? Salary cap/luxury tax? Unprotected first?
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:45 pm

Jon1798 wrote:Why on earth would the Pels do that? I dont want to get slapped for going too far, but this is insanity no? Do we even want Buddy for free on his deal? Defense? Salary cap/luxury tax? Unprotected first?

I'm with you mate. You could make the argument that the Pels are giving up the three most valuable pieces in the deal and are absolutely without question giving up the two most valuable.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#6 » by gswhoops » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:51 pm

Yeah the pick should be going the other way here. Hield is neutral value at best on that contract.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,502

Post#7 » by HornetJail » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm

because the Kings really need an extra point guard

They take it and run regardless, because it's great value, but it makes way more sense to move Lonzo to a third team
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,138

Post#8 » by Pelon chingon » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:59 pm

Take the picks off the table and it maybe gets closer. Kings could use another PG whose younger and has a higher ceiling than Joseph.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by gswhoops » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:01 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:because the Kings really need an extra point guard

They take it and run regardless, because it's great value, but it makes way more sense to move Lonzo to a third team

Agree, but even if you turn Lonzo into literally nothing it’s still great value for Sacramento.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Pelon chingon » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:06 pm

gswhoops wrote:

Agree, but even if you turn Lonzo into literally nothing it’s still great value for Sacramento.

Your implying the kings should be looking to dump Buddy for Salary relief? Because that's a no Buddy has his flaws but he can hit big shots late in games period.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#11 » by kalenclayton » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:
gswhoops wrote:

Your implying the kings should be looking to dump Buddy for Salary relief? Because that's a no Buddy has his flaws but he can hit big shots late in games period.

Yeah I don’t see the Kings paying a penny to dump Buddy right now. The only thing that would make them pay to move him is if he started acting up. I don’t really see that happening, although I guess it is in he realm of possibilities. Buddy is at a low point right now anyway, so it would be foolish to gauge interest.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,502

Post#12 » by HornetJail » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:47 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Agree, but even if you turn Lonzo into literally nothing it’s still great value for Sacramento.

Yeah I don’t see the Kings paying a penny to dump Buddy right now. The only thing that would make them pay to move him is if he started acting up. I don’t really see that happening, although I guess it is in he realm of possibilities. Buddy is at a low point right now anyway, so it would be foolish to gauge interest.

they may not, but I don't see many teams coughing up assets for his contract. Philly was the exception imo in the offseason but they don't need him desperately with Curry and Green there. Maybe NOLA gives expirings but I can't see Lonzo being attached.

I have Redick on an expiring as marginally more valuable than 4 expensive years of Hield but maybe NOLA doesn't see it that way.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by gswhoops » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:55 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Agree, but even if you turn Lonzo into literally nothing it’s still great value for Sacramento.

As someone who’s had to explain 2-3 times a week for the last 10 months why it doesn’t make sense for the Warriors to pay to dump Wiggins, I’m sympathetic :D
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Pelon chingon » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:57 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:Your implying the kings should be looking to dump Buddy for Salary relief? Because that's a no Buddy has his flaws but he can hit big shots late in games period.

they may not, but I don't see many teams coughing up assets for his contract. Philly was the exception imo in the offseason but they don't need him desperately with Curry and Green there. Maybe NOLA gives expirings but I can't see Lonzo being attached.

I have Redick on an expiring as marginally more valuable than 4 expensive years of Hield but maybe NOLA doesn't see it that way.

Well it certainly sounds like Buddy will be a Kings uniform for the time being and that's okay in my book. Again his contract isn't holding the Kings back from signing big FA's anyway so it doesn't sting.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#15 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:00 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:Pels send Lonzo JJ and an unprotected first to Sacramento for Buddy.

Pels need shooting and Buddy would EAT off of the looks he’d get from BI and Zion. Also trading Zo clarifies the roles of the starters. No more two point guard looks to start the game.

Sacramento gets a first, financial flexibility and short term bench help and depth. I think Lonzo and Jj have value still and something like a trade to Boston for their first makes sense but I didn’t want to complicate the deal.

This move would make the Pels even thinner which is a concern but hopefully they could move Melli, NAW and Hayes for more support.

^^^
Someone has a really high opinion of Buddy Hield. :o
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,381

Post#16 » by Myth » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:07 pm

Terrible trade for Pelicans. Hield does not hold this much value.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#17 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:13 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:
gswhoops wrote:

Last night was a great example of why Buddy is valuable. On a good team with a competent head coach, the kid would do awesome. Yesterday the Kings played like a good team, and Buddy made some huge plays and was a big part of that win. The OP doesn't reflect his value, but there is certainly no incentive for the Kings to pay to move him or accept worse incoming players.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,474

Post#18 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:20 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:

Last night was a great example of why Buddy is valuable. On a good team with a competent head coach, the kid would do awesome. Yesterday the Kings played like a good team, and Buddy made some huge plays and was a big part of that win. The OP doesn't reflect his value, but there is certainly no incentive for the Kings to pay to move him or accept worse incoming players.

Hields' great game has now boosted his TS% to (just under) 51%. I hate the small samples, and think the whole season is too small to talk much about. But surely the whole season has more meaning than just taking the one game where Hield hit 55% from 3 and talking it up, right? I don't think there is confusion as to who Hield is as a player, now as a 28 year old, and one game doesn't show a side that hasn't consistently been there before, at least to me.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Pelon chingon » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:25 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:Your implying the kings should be looking to dump Buddy for Salary relief? Because that's a no Buddy has his flaws but he can hit big shots late in games period.

Hields' great game has now boosted his TS% to (just under) 51%. I hate the small samples, and think the whole season is too small to talk much about. But surely the whole season has more meaning than just taking the one game where Hield hit 55% from 3 and talking it up, right? I don't think there is confusion as to who Hield is as a player, now as a 28 year old, and one game doesn't show a side that hasn't consistently been there before, at least to me.

Hes best off the bench. He hasn't earned the starting spot this year (again) and hes all out of leverage to complain and blame others for his play. Historically the team plays better with him out of the starting lineup it's time for him to embrace it.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,474

Post#20 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:26 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Hes best off the bench. He hasn't earned the starting spot this year (again) and hes all out of leverage to complain and blame others for his play. Historically the team plays better with him out of the starting lineup it's time for him to embrace it.

Fully agree. I loved the move of him to the bench last year by Walton, and doing the same this year would be great for the team (and all of us who wan Halliburton to play every minute possible).

Return to Trades and Transactions