Image ImageImage Image

Lauri:' I can make the comeback'

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Lauri extension?

Don't want to see one happen - let him show me more first
33%
4 years/$40M-$50M
18%
4 year/$50M-$65M
23%
4 years/$65M-$80M
18%
4 years/$80M+
5%
Other (explain)
3%

Total votes: 122

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#1161 » by sco » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:27 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
FriedRise wrote:

Caption says “Soon”

Soon can't come soon enough

I'm optimistic...also glad it sorta forced him to rest a bit more and get that calf healed up.
:clap:
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#1162 » by PaKii94 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:53 pm

sco wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
FriedRise wrote:

Caption says “Soon”

I'm optimistic...also glad it sorta forced him to rest a bit more and get that calf healed up.

Yeah it was a good little rest for him. I didn't want him going out there and continuing to aggravate it until he's out for a couple months.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,694

Post#1163 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:34 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
sco wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Yeah it was a good little rest for him. I didn't want him going out there and continuing to aggravate it until he's out for a couple months.
I'm thinking he'll be back Friday against the Lakers.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#1164 » by ZOMG » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:09 am

It would be nice to have an update about Lauri's situation. It's like he's dropped off the face of the earth.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#1165 » by FriedRise » Fri Jan 8, 2021 12:02 pm

Read on Twitter

This was from last game’s pre-game media session.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#1166 » by ZOMG » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:03 pm

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow, they're being REALLY careful with two guys who have tested negative for over a week now. :roll:

At the same time, team dinners and other risk situations are allowed without a second thought. So weird.
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#1167 » by cjbulls » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:13 pm

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is ridiculous. NFL isn’t nearly this strict. Let’s see what they do if LeBron gets pulled in like this during a playoff series.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#1168 » by ZOMG » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:34 pm

cjbulls wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is ridiculous. NFL isn’t nearly this strict. Let’s see what they do if LeBron gets pulled in like this during a playoff series.

For the life of me I can't understand why the Bulls need "dialogue" with the NBA to get Lauri and Arch in a gym at this point. Good god. They've completed their quarantine and tested negative all the way through.

Ah, but are we sure Markkanen is cleared for "straight line running" yet? Like he was back when he hurt his ELBOW... :roll:
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#1169 » by cjbulls » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:45 pm

Watching the Spurs last night, and they seem like the key competition for Lauri. They have a ton of cap room. They need a scoring big to replace Aldridge. They have a young team loaded with guards and wings (white, Murray, keldon, Vassell, walker).

The only issues would be whether they prefer to go after John Collins or if Pop stays and wants a competitive team so they bring back all their vets to fill the space (Gay, Aldridge and DeRozan)
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#1170 » by BigJimFinn » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:05 pm

cjbulls wrote:Watching the Spurs last night, and they seem like the key competition for Lauri. They have a ton of cap room. They need a scoring big to replace Aldridge. They have a young team loaded with guards and wings (white, Murray, keldon, Vassell, walker).

The only issues would be whether they prefer to go after John Collins or if Pop stays and wants a competitive team so they bring back all their vets to fill the space (Gay, Aldridge and DeRozan)

As much as I admire Pop and the organisation he has built, turning a squad built around DeRozan and Aldridge into a competitive team (meaning something more than losing 1-4 in the first real round of playoffs) does not seem humanly possible any more, this year or certainly the next. I agree that Lauri would fit, and their culture would help him improve defensively.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#1171 » by FriedRise » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:37 pm

Read on Twitter
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#1172 » by ZOMG » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:47 pm

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

So they had a 10 day quarantine because of exposure while testing negative the whole time? Wow. :noway:

They've basically been out as long as Hutch, who actually HAD covid.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#1173 » by ZOMG » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:18 am

Here's a fact that should give you pause:

Soon it'll be a full year since Lauri went out with his pelvis stress reaction and never returned as the league was shut down. Jan 23 2020.

Over these 12 months, he's played in FOUR regular season NBA games.

Four. That is unbelievable for a guy who didn't have a serious (ACL, achilles, etc) injury OR covid at any point.

Of his 3.5 season career, Lauri has spent a HUGE percentage basically waiting to play. It would be extemely fitting if the League now decided to shut itself down for two weeks just as he was about to return... :roll:
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#1174 » by coldfish » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:46 pm

ZOMG wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

So they had a 10 day quarantine because of exposure while testing negative the whole time? Wow. :noway:

They've basically been out as long as Hutch, who actually HAD covid.

There have been many points in time where the CDC guidance was exactly that. If you were near someone with covid -> 14 days. Have covid? A few days and a negative test.

Probably belongs in the covid thread but a lot of the stuff we are doing is just stupid. The science isn't behind it but no one wants to dial stuff back because of fear and liability. Just as an example, there are virtually no contact tracing examples of people catching covid by touching a contaminated surface. Its all airborne. Despite that Lysol continues to cost as much as gold.
sco
RealGM

Post#1175 » by sco » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:48 pm

Read on Twitter
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#1176 » by FranchisePlayer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:08 pm

ZOMG wrote:Here's a fact that should give you pause:

Soon it'll be a full year since Lauri went out with his pelvis stress reaction and never returned as the league was shut down. Jan 23 2020.

Over these 12 months, he's played in FOUR regular season NBA games.

Yes, that's a very good point! Amazing. In light of that the level of play he's managed to achieve has been very good. Hopefully Karate Junior will be more careful the next time...unless he intentionally wants to get rid of some competition. You know, he sees himself as PF. You too Pat, watch out!
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#1177 » by Axolotl » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:01 pm

Looks like he is indeed making a comeback and then some.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#1178 » by coldfish » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:00 pm

When you look at all of Lauri's stats, most of them are in line with his career averages. As an example, his usage rate is 24.0 this year and his career is 22.8. Same with blocks, assists, rebounds, etc. His 3p% is at a career high but what really sticks out is his 2p% and number of free throws. IMO, what has really changed with Lauri's game is his frequent willingness to put the ball on the floor and drive into traffic. He is going to the line a lot and hitting a high percentage on the inside.

I have always been one of Lauri's bigger critics but I'm not one to ignore reality. Lauri has played well this year and is a net positive player. Hopefully this continues.
sco
RealGM

Post#1179 » by sco » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:05 pm

One thing that Lauri seems to be doing differently so far that has helped him is that he isn't trying to back guys down in the paint. His back to the basket dribble was so painful to watch last season as it resulted in his pocket being picked 100% of the time. His handle is ok going to the basket, but his paint awareness is too low to back guys down like that.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#1180 » by Ice Man » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:07 pm

coldfish wrote: IMO, what has really changed with Lauri's game is his frequent willingness to put the ball on the floor and drive into traffic. He is going to the line a lot and hitting a high percentage on the inside.

His value rests on that ability. He's not going to become a great defender, nor a playmaker, nor a particularly great outside shooter. But he's tall, strong, and mobile, with a decent handle. No reason why he can't complement his jump shots by putting his head down, getting into the lane, and abusing all but the biggest of defenders.

Return to Chicago Bulls