ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#261 » by cl2117 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:30 am

Kalela wrote:What is going on with this guy? It has only been 10 games but, considering the way Brad is treating him, it is not looking good for him. Even Romeo was getting some minutes in his rookie year when healthy.

At this level he's just completely lost out there on the court and Brad doesn't seem inclined to let him find himself during games. He's gotta do that in practice. And in fairness to Brad, we can't afford to have a guy you know will be a net negative out there and still win games right now.

I don't think it's anything to panic about though. He only played 14 games his Sophomore season at Vandy and then didn't get any Summer League/training camp, so I think it's to be expected that he's lagging behind considerably in terms of getting up to NBA speed. Brad also mentioned something about his conditioning early on, so he might be starting behind the 8 ball.

He doesn't look awful, just lost. Compare him to Payton Pritchard who was a 4 year guy and the difference is obvious.

Romeo was actually similar last year in that he didn't see the court for the first 1/3 of the season and then when he did he looked lost. He's been more derailed by injuries than anything else, but Nesmith isn't unique in his struggles.

I don't expect to see much of him this year at this rate. By the time that he's getting acclimated we're going to be getting both Kemba and Romeo back, so he's going to struggle to get minutes unless we make a multiplayer trade or something really clicks for him. In reality he probably gets sent out there on nights we are getting smoked and Brad wants to send a message to the team while also hoping he can go super saiyan and maybe bring us back.

If Pritchard wasn't doing so surprisingly well I think more people would see the sky as falling, but his success has actually given Nesmith some cover.

Roddy wrote:Just for fun, our first round pick is doing well in Memphis :
8.9 pts, 2.9 rbs, 1.0 asts, 43.8 FG%, 48.7% from 3 in nine games.

I understand why we made that trade, but I still absolutely hate it. Felt like terrible value just in terms of the draft capital changing hands, but it was just salt in the wound that Bane is the guy who was available there. Another 4 year guy who's ready to contribute out of the gate, but who I think still has upside beyond that. Danny should have made room for him.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#262 » by Wes-J » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:34 pm

Just a feeling, game seems too big for him even without the fans. Speaks volumes he couldn't even crack the lineup last night and not being able to take advantage of the time Kemba has been off when we really could of used him. Brad trying to say every excuse in the world not to play him. Soon Romeo will be back and that's gonna be a wrap on his rookie season.

Meanwhile Bey looks awesome, what a huge miss.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#263 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:38 pm

I think it absolutely stinks that the team decided to sit the G-League team out this year. I think those reps would have been so valuable for Nesmith.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#264 » by sam_I_am » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:57 pm

Practicing with the Celtics gives Nesmith all the reps he needs to get up to speed. G League would give him the chance to play in front of a crowd with real refs and that has a role to be sure. But Nesmith is missing nothing he needs right now by not playing in games. He isn’t close to game ready yet and I’d rather have him learn defense having to chase Tatum and Brown around in practice than G leaguers.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#265 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:33 pm

Roddy wrote:Just for fun, our first round pick is doing well in Memphis :

8.9 pts, 2.9 rbs, 1.0 asts, 43.8 FG%, 48.7% from 3 in nine games.

That decision looks so questionable to me with how the Hayward saga unfolded. Giving up assets to move Kanter's salary made sense if Hayward was re-signing or being S&T somewhere for NBA salaries (i.e. Turner + McDermott per the rumored talks). But as things stand right now where we're like $15M below the tax, it makes no sense looking back. Could have just waived him and kept the pick.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,830

Post#266 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:46 pm

Way too early to draw any type of conclusion on Aaron Nesmith. Kid is just starting out.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#267 » by Wes-J » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:01 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Way too early to draw any type of conclusion on Aaron Nesmith. Kid is just starting out.

Except he looks shook to be honest. Completely lost on defense to make things worse.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#268 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:31 am

Well now he has a real shot to play this next week with half the team out. If he’s still buried behind Carsen and barely playing that’s officially a concern.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,953

Post#269 » by 31to6 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 pm

Any time they want to start leaking stories about how awesome he’s looking in practice, I’m all ears.

.. I’m not sure when we may practice again
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#270 » by Justin33 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Way too early to draw any type of conclusion on Aaron Nesmith. Kid is just starting out.

You know your not supposed to have a reasonable take, Stop that
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,623

Post#271 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:06 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Practicing with the Celtics gives Nesmith all the reps he needs to get up to speed. G League would give him the chance to play in front of a crowd with real refs and that has a role to be sure. But Nesmith is missing nothing he needs right now by not playing in games. He isn’t close to game ready yet and I’d rather have him learn defense having to chase Tatum and Brown around in practice than G leaguers.

My understanding from Brad's remarks is that the team almost never practices, due to some combination of tight schedules and general COVID.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Bostondave
Analyst
And1: 2,058

Post#272 » by Bostondave » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:58 am

I was hoping for more out of him but it's tough. I understand Brad's position. But pure shooting translates to the NBA game and I thought he'd be better than this. Not sure how you can be so clueless playing the game that's supposed to be your bread and butter and so much a part of your life.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#273 » by captain green » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:15 am

Super surprised really thought we snuck a good get as I had him at 10th due to his defense and true shooting and size. Oh well some take longer than others.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#274 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:24 am

Isaiah Joe went 30+ picks later and already looks better than Nesmith. Not to mention Desmond Bane as well. Not giving up on him yet but boy he better be the clear cut best shooter in this draft to justify going in the lottery. Exactly why I hated it since you could have found a shooter later in the draft.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#275 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:40 am

Soft, turning into a bum with each day he rots on the bench. Sad to see. Another wasted pick.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,426

Post#276 » by playa-hater » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:35 am

There are Some other rookies who barely got a chance to play but thanks to covid19, They have been given a much greater opportunity and some have played quite well.

Obviously T Maxey is the 1st that comes to mind. But even Kira Lewis looked solid with his first playing time.

Wouldn't surprise me if Nesmith actually played well if given a much bigger opportunity.

I also never heard of Gabe Vincent before this week. He got his 1st chance to play and hes been looking very good for Miami. Now ask yourself what if he never had this chance.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,426

Post#277 » by playa-hater » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:46 am

Bostondave wrote:I was hoping for more out of him but it's tough. I understand Brad's position. But pure shooting translates to the NBA game and I thought he'd be better than this. Not sure how you can be so clueless playing the game that's supposed to be your bread and butter and so much a part of your life.

I absolutely UN equivocally Believe Nesmith Is a natural pure Shooter, All he needs to do is get comfortable 1st. But as a former shooter and shooting coach myself, I also believe the only way to truly get comfortable is to play.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#278 » by Bohemian » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:42 am

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Soft, turning into a bum with each day he rots on the bench. Sad to see. Another wasted pick.

I hope he will improve. Otherwise he will be another bad pick by Ainge
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#279 » by cl2117 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:42 am

Duncan Robinson looked trash his rookie year. I hope Nesmith can follow a similar arc as a sharpshooter.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,279

Post#280 » by chrisab123 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:22 pm

I've got higher hopes for him than I ever did for Romeo. He's going to be fine. Shooters usually are able to find a place in the league.

Return to Boston Celtics