ImageImageImage

Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves)

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,902

Re: Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves) 

Post#821 » by HMFFL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Nationals are considering a trade for Kris Bryant.

They're also showing interest in DJ LeMahieu, as Morosi reported earlier Friday. The feeling seems to be that the Cubs will trade at least one big bat this offseason, and Bryant's name has popped up in trade rumors for a couple years now. Bryant is coming off a dreadful 2020 season which saw him post just a .644 OPS and he's likely to net close to $20 million in his final year of arbitration eligibility, so it's not the best time to be trading him. That said, the former MVP had a .903 OPS with 31 homers in his last full season, so a bounce-back seems reasonable if he's healthy.

RELATED: 

Washington Nationals

SOURCE: Jon Morosi on Twitter

Nov 20, 2020, 5:17 PM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#822 » by HMFFL » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 pm

Dennis Lin of The Athletic reports that the Padres have reached an agreement with Korean infielder Ha-seong Kim.

No word yet on the terms involved, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post previously reported that Kim was expected to land a four- or five-year deal in high $20 million range. Kim, 25, batted .310/.402/.530 with 28 home runs and 21 stolen bases over 128 games this past season for the Kiwoom Heroes of the Korea Baseball Organization. There's been some question about his ability to adjust to MLB velocity, so it's unclear how his talent will translate to the states. Still, the Padres clearly believe in him and appear set to go with him as their primary second baseman.

RELATED: 

San Diego Padres

SOURCE: Dennis Lin on Twitter

Dec 28, 2020, 1:05 PM ET

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#823 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:13 pm

GTFO! The Padres got Snell and are about to get Darvish.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#824 » by HMFFL » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:36 am

Nemesis21 wrote:GTFO! The Padres got Snell and are about to get Darvish.
They've been building nicely over the last couple of seasons or more.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#825 » by HMFFL » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:37 am

Jon Heyman of MLB Network is hearing from "interested teams" that free agent starter Trevor Bauer wants a five- or six-year deal worth about $200 million.

Heyman suggests that Bauer and his agent Rachel Luba may be aiming to top the record $36 million AAV (average annual value) that Gerrit Cole commanded in his nine-year, $324 million agreement last winter with the Yankees. Bauer doesn't quite have the overall track record of Cole, though he did post a stellar 1.73 ERA, 0.795 WHIP, and 100/17 K/BB ratio over 73 innings (11 starts) for the Reds during the condensed 2020 season while claiming the Cy Young Award in the National League. It's been a slow-moving market for the 29-year-old righty so far, maybe because the asking price is a little lofty for baseball's current financial landscape.

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Dec 29, 2020, 10:34 PM ET

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#826 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:29 pm

HMFFL wrote:Dennis Lin of The Athletic reports that the Padres have reached an agreement with Korean infielder Ha-seong Kim.

No word yet on the terms involved, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post previously reported that Kim was expected to land a four- or five-year deal in high $20 million range. Kim, 25, batted .310/.402/.530 with 28 home runs and 21 stolen bases over 128 games this past season for the Kiwoom Heroes of the Korea Baseball Organization. There's been some question about his ability to adjust to MLB velocity, so it's unclear how his talent will translate to the states. Still, the Padres clearly believe in him and appear set to go with him as their primary second baseman.

RELATED: 

San Diego Padres

SOURCE: Dennis Lin on Twitter

Dec 28, 2020, 1:05 PM ET

The stats guys say that Korean league baseball is about equivalent to AA ball, so he's probably a good prospect. Man, I'm impressed with how the Padres have been making big moves lately.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#828 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Padres general manager A.J. Preller met with Fernando Tatis Jr. last week in the Dominican Republic, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

The main topic at hand was presumably a long-term contract extension. Dominican news outlet Pio Deportes reported Saturday that the Padres were discussing a deal with Tatis in the range of 11 years and $320 million, but Rosenthal notes that an agreement of that variety would leave the star shortstop in "free-agent no man's land" when it ends for him at age 32. Tatis might be better off with something like a six-year extension that could cover his arbitration years and also buy out a few years of free agency. Or he could just go year-to-year and become a free agent leading into his age-26 campaign. There's a lot to wrestle with, but Rosenthal says the Padres "are optimistic they can reach agreement with Tatis and his agent, Dan Lozano, before Opening Day."

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jan 11, 2021, 11:57 PM ET

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#829 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30668781/sources-new-york-mets-finalizing-deal-acquire-ss-francisco-lindor-cleveland-indians

The Mets certainly got better - but the cost was steep. That's a ton of salary they added, and they gave up a very good young SS in Gimenez that could end up being special. Their payroll is around $210 million - saying they're serious about competing this year.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#830 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:09 pm

HMFFL wrote:Padres general manager A.J. Preller met with Fernando Tatis Jr. last week in the Dominican Republic, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

The main topic at hand was presumably a long-term contract extension. Dominican news outlet Pio Deportes reported Saturday that the Padres were discussing a deal with Tatis in the range of 11 years and $320 million, but Rosenthal notes that an agreement of that variety would leave the star shortstop in "free-agent no man's land" when it ends for him at age 32. Tatis might be better off with something like a six-year extension that could cover his arbitration years and also buy out a few years of free agency. Or he could just go year-to-year and become a free agent leading into his age-26 campaign. There's a lot to wrestle with, but Rosenthal says the Padres "are optimistic they can reach agreement with Tatis and his agent, Dan Lozano, before Opening Day."

I feel really bad for him. He'll only have earned $320 million - probably guaranteed - at age 32. Whatever shall he do? Poor guy. :noway: :waaa:
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#831 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:58 am

Ruzious wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Padres general manager A.J. Preller met with Fernando Tatis Jr. last week in the Dominican Republic, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

I feel really bad for him. He'll only have earned $320 million - probably guaranteed - at age 32. Whatever shall he do? Poor guy. :noway: :waaa:

We got Acuna locked up at a steal!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#832 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:27 pm

MLB will hold its first-ever pre-draft combine from June 20-28 in Cary, North Carolina.

The combine will take place at the USA Baseball National Training Complex, with top draft-eligible college and high school players invited. As part of the combine, the top-88 prep players will take part in a tournament through June 26th consisting of eight games. The combine will be a good opportunity for scouts to get a look at players as well as other performance assessments. This year's draft is scheduled for July 11-13. As part of the announcement, this year will also mark the return of the Prospect Development Pipeline (PDP) event for 2022-eligible prep prospects from July 22 through August 1.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jan 25, 2021, 2:12 PM ET

[https://www]

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#833 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:23 pm

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#834 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:05 pm

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#835 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:54 pm

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/cubs-sign-joc-pederson.html

No Duvall/Pederson platoon in LF for the Braves.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#836 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:00 pm

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/cardinals-to-acquire-nolan-arenado.html

I hate that the Braves are owned by Liberty Media. If money wasn't an issue, we easily had the prospects to get Arenado. I don't understand how you don't want to pair him up with Freeman and Acuna for several years, plus our young pitching to go with it. Go for multiple WS, not just one.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#837 » by HMFFL » Mon Feb 1, 2021 11:18 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/cardinals-to-acquire-nolan-arenado.html

I hate that the Braves are owned by Liberty Media. If money wasn't an issue, we easily had the prospects to get Arenado. I don't understand how you don't want to pair him up with Freeman and Acuna for several years, plus our young pitching to go with it. Go for multiple WS, not just one.
Liberty Media have done better than I expected but they did miss the ball here.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#838 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 4, 2021 12:50 am

I remember that time I looked forward to him pitching for our Braves.

Orioles signed RHP Felix Hernandez to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network says that King Felix will make $1 million if in the majors. Hernandez inked a minor league deal with the Braves last offseason before ultimately opting out, and he produced an ugly 5.42 ERA in his last three seasons in Seattle. However, he should have no trouble getting a rotation spot in Baltimore given the state of their pitching staff. Slated to turn 35 in April, Hernandez figures to struggle in 2021 in Camden Yards and in the AL East.

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Feb 3, 2021, 6:38 PM ET

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#839 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 11:49 pm

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#840 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:24 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/cubs-sign-joc-pederson.html

No Duvall/Pederson platoon in LF for the Braves.

And Duvall goes to the Marlins - $5 mil guaranteed. It makes sense. The Braves non-tendered him, and after the Braves signed Ozuna - and no DH rule in the NL - there was no room for Duvall. He did well the last 2 years, but at 32 - Braves know what they're doing.

Return to Atlanta Braves