Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Re: Bucks News, Trade Ideas, Transactions 

Post#1781 » by BucksFanSD » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:12 pm

Fotis St wrote:
pilprin wrote:Can someone please help me understand DJ Wilson's role on this team? It is honestly more confusing to me than Pat. He has a decent chunk of money on his deal, but just doesn't play...when he does...he isn't horrible, but....just don't get it. Any insight would be helpful.

I came to the conclusion that Horst is trying to save his face, cause he is his 1st pick as a GM. There was no reason even to pick up his 3rd rookie contract year. But stubbornness is the way things run in the Bucks.

As it is, I prefer we give him Brook's minutes as a backup 5. Trade Brook cause he will actually be our 3rd string C. I'd rather start Portis from now on, so either stack Brook min as a backup 5 to improve our bench or trade him and give Wilson some burn at the 5. If DJW hits his 3s he is even better than Brook on D, cause of his mobility

So Imho ... this should be our 2nd unit
DJA , Merrill, Nwora, DJW , Brook

i know Brook never misses any games but if he did it would be interesting to see how we play with Giannis, Portis, and DJW logging our minutes in the front court. More mobility, quicker pace, and see how it plays out on this team's style.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1782 » by crkone » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:19 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
Spoiler:
crkone wrote:https://theathletic.com/2281277/2021/01/11/bucks-new-offense-blue-dunker-spot/

Bucks changed their offense in the off-season

As mentioned, it all starts with the floor. The areas of blue tape on the practice floor help provide insight into what the team values offensively under Budenholzer. The location and size of the new boxes on the floor show how the team is now evolving.

The team has not posted any photos of the floor and media members are not allowed in the practice facility, but according to team sources, this is an accurate rendition of how the floor appears in the team’s practice facility:
The most significant spacing change is the addition of “The Dunker” spot, which is represented by a huge box on the baseline. Instead of keeping all five players outside of the 3-point arc, the Bucks are expected to fill “The Dunker” during each possession.

In the Bucks’ new offensive system, filling “The Dunker” is the team’s priority, which is why the first player down the floor in transition, regardless of position, runs to that spot. It also is part of the reason why the Bucks are hitting the deep outlet pass over the top of transition defenses.

More in the article.

This can't be possible. I've been told repeatedly that Buds never makes adjustments and is running all the same stuff this year, despite it looking completely different.

This was probably posted too but...

Against the Bucks, Snyder decided to attack with the pick-and-roll. Rather than using center Rudy Gobert as the screener, though, Snyder instead chose to primarily use wings and guards as screeners for each other in the pick-and-roll and kept his big men away from the action.

Why?

Throughout their second-round series against the Heat last postseason, the Bucks struggled with the same action. Heat coach Erik Spoelstra regularly forced the Bucks to cover pick-and-roll and dribble handoff action involving Jimmy Butler, Goran Dragic and Tyler Herro. Because Budenholzer prefers not to switch defensively, the Bucks struggled to cover it and the Heat found their way into the paint for midrange attempts, floaters and kick-outs to 3-point shooters. Miami eliminated Milwaukee in just five games.

“There’s less of them that happen on a night-to-night basis,” Budenholzer said of guarding pick-and-rolls with two guards or wings. “They’re good at sometimes slipping, sometimes screening and creating a little bit of indecision, and any time you put two good players in an action, good things can happen.”

Instead of watching his guards and wings fail to slow down pick-and-rolls together, he could have them switch. And that is exactly what he did.

Donte DiVincenzo and Middleton switched perfectly, but then Middleton got beat off the dribble and Antetokounmpo helped off of a shooter and Royce O’Neale buried a corner 3-pointer, one of his career-high six 3-pointers on Friday night.

The Bucks switched on that possession (and others during the second half), but it didn’t work. As Budenholzer confirmed after the game, they tried multiple defensive strategies in the second half, but none of them worked.

After trying out a few different coverages, Holiday believes they found something that can work against that type of pick-and-roll action going forward.

“I’d like to switch with like size,” Holiday said. “I feel like we have great defenders. I also think it slows them down instead of them just coming off and kind of taking off off that screen or off that slip. I’d like to switch, but it’s just something we have to figure out.”

https://theathletic.com/2311953/2021/01/09/quin-snyders-pick-and-roll-strategy-against-bucks-highlights-need-for-change/

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
crowhead76
Rookie
And1: 877

Post#1783 » by crowhead76 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:31 pm

It will be interesting to see how much playing time Torrey Craig gets when he comes back. His length on the perimeter and his ability to switch should open up a few different options for this team defensively.
Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,184

Post#1784 » by skones » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:57 pm

DingleJerry wrote:Here we go again on Wilson. Make a couple shots and everyone is fooled again.

The alternative is Thanasis. Let that sink in. This is a little different.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#1785 » by DingleJerry » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:17 pm

skones wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:Here we go again on Wilson. Make a couple shots and everyone is fooled again.

lol true. Yea saying he has to play right now is one thing, acting like he's actually good is another. Craig might take some/most of these minutes too when he's back.

Larger point is they need to find a legit backup big before end of year. One guy goes out and you're really thin.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,881

Post#1786 » by Fotis St » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:18 pm

skones wrote:

Our problem is certainly not Thanasis , he is paid the minimum and there shouldn't be much expectations from him.
He came to the Bucks with confidence after playing at Greece at Panathinaikos and EuroLeague and had some good games with the Greek National Team. I have seen confident Thanasis being key to change the momentum of a game.
After ONE whole freaking Year put on COLD ICE from Bud, I think it is too late.
His confidence is bottom low, he just doesn't shoot the ball. BUT he indeed brings energy and effort on court, he will play D , he will grab some boards and he will dunk an alley oop pass.

I believe he gets more hate than he deserves ( I believe he deserves no hate ) , cause his last name is Antetokounmpo.

We are not fooled for Wilson bro and I am certainly not fooled for Brook either. But since we are paying him and Brook is like Monroe on D , we should at least let him show us if he has anything. I have seen he has fresh legs and hunts the boards , I have seen him shooting with no hesi and make 3s, so its the time to give him a full test if he can handle big time minutes and what it his impact in the game. Additionally we can test Brook's impact in the game as the 2nd unit Leader. It is possible it suits him more in this era of basketball and in his age
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#1787 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 am

Fotis St wrote:
skones wrote:

Our problem is certainly not Thanasis , he is paid the minimum and there shouldn't be much expectations from him.
He came to the Bucks with confidence after playing at Greece at Panathinaikos and EuroLeague and had some good games with the Greek National Team. I have seen confident Thanasis being key to change the momentum of a game.
His confidence is bottom low, he just doesn't shoot the ball. BUT he indeed brings energy and effort on court, he will play D , he will grab some boards and he will dunk an alley oop pass.

I believe he gets more hate than he deserves ( I believe he deserves no hate ) , cause his last name is Antetokounmpo.

We are not fooled for Wilson bro and I am certainly not fooled for Brook either. But since we are paying him and Brook is like Monroe on D , we should at least let him show us if he has anything. I have seen he has fresh legs and hunts the boards , I have seen him shooting with no hesi and make 3s, so its the time to give him a full test if he can handle big time minutes and what it his impact in the game. Additionally we can test Brook's impact in the game as the 2nd unit Leader. It is possible it suits him more in this era of basketball and in his age

He was not a good player in Europe, and is only in the NBA for 1 reason.
giannis and 1
Starter
And1: 1,111

Post#1788 » by giannis and 1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:25 am

tski1972 wrote:
giannis and 1 wrote:
tski1972 wrote:
Craig played 20 minutes/game in the playoffs the last two seasons with Denver, so I’m guessing you’re wrong.

Denver's forwards are terrible at defending, so he kind of had to for them.

Who on the Bucks bench is a great defender?

I'm just saying, can we really afford to give someone who would create major spacing problems on our roster meaningful minutes in the playoffs?
still learning the game

Matches Malone wrote:How did NBA fandom get to the point that it's more fun to thirst over players on other teams than to care more about your own team and players...
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,497

Post#1789 » by -Jragon- » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:14 am

ShootingtheJ wrote:
Fotis St wrote:
skones wrote:

He was not a good player in Europe, and is only in the NBA for 1 reason.

Monroe?? Omg lol.. Monroe had zero concept of team defense and Brook is one of the best at it. Brook is also longer and challenges vertically which Monroe was nowhere near.. terrible comparison please stop that
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#1790 » by andonewheel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:28 am

I am expecting the NBA to expand roster sizes in the next few days due to COVID-19. Hopefully they will also adjust the cap in a way that can let the Bucks add some ring chasers.
packer396
Sophomore
And1: 150

Post#1791 » by packer396 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:43 am

andonewheel wrote:I am expecting the NBA to expand roster sizes in the next few days due to COVID-19. Hopefully they will also adjust the cap in a way that can let the Bucks add some ring chasers.
100% chance if this happens our first call is to Ersan
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#1792 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:34 am

packer396 wrote:
andonewheel wrote:I am expecting the NBA to expand roster sizes in the next few days due to COVID-19. Hopefully they will also adjust the cap in a way that can let the Bucks add some ring chasers.
100% chance if this happens our first call is to Ersan

My guess is they just add more 2 way spots, so they don't have to mess with the cap.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#1793 » by DrWood » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:07 pm

So now we're leading the division. Lead the league in advanced team stats. Portis and Pat have been highly effective bench players. Midds is playing like an all NBA player. DDV is making his 3s.
Anyone calming down?
Can we get anything for Forbes near the deadline?
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#1794 » by DrWood » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:09 pm

giannis and 1 wrote:
tski1972 wrote:
giannis and 1 wrote:Denver's forwards are terrible at defending, so he kind of had to for them.

Who on the Bucks bench is a great defender?

I'm just saying, can we really afford to give someone who would create major spacing problems on our roster meaningful minutes in the playoffs?

sure, whenever Giannis (and Thanasis) is off the floor.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#1795 » by DrWood » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Fotis St wrote:
skones wrote:

If he's on the floor, he's a problem.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#1796 » by DrWood » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:17 pm

-Jragon- wrote:
higharc wrote:Wilson offensively is a small forward in a big man's body. Too soft to finish strong at the rim. Mediocre rebounder. Defensively he is mobile for a big but gets beat from guards.

Thanasis is a power forward in a small forward body. Both offensively and defensively. Good rebounder. Can also guard wings.

Both of them have deficiencies. Wilson needs to show some big man toughness and Thanasis needs to play within his limited abilities.

Both of them can be useful in 5min stretches in the playoffs if they overcome their limitations. Wilson for switching lineups. Thanasis to throw to any wing playmaker as a man to man shadow just to frustrate him.
This is the time of the year to test them and see what we have (or exhibit them a bit for other teams). But they have completely different play styles. I don't think DJ isn't playing because of Thanasis. If he could bring the same energy and rebounding he would be in the rotation. Thanasis was used as a spark from the bench to keep the other players interested in the game. Cannot think of anything more.

I agree with this and just adding a few things. Portis already has his role earned so it's about who will play best next to him on the second team. When Wilson is missing he offers like nothing and boom the other team makes up 10 points in a few minutes.

When Thanos is missing (always lol) he still does a bunch of hustle sh#t that keeps the game close and with Portis he has all shooters around him so he can set picks or slash. That's why he keeps wanting the ball down the court. Giannis is teaching him that if he can get just a little past his guy then he can hit open shooters (or just dunk it) and get assists which would be very useful (adding to all the hustle quick feet). It's hard for you guys to watch because you want to win 60+ regular season games per year but you have to let guys figure out their role so they have confidence to do it in the playoffs when every possession really matters.

It might seem like that to you, but that's not what the stats show. He has by far the worst +/- per 100 of any buck who has played more than one minute.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#1797 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm

The reason that DJ doesn't play continues to be because he's a useless offensive player. Now, that doesn't then explain why equally useless Thanasis plays over him, but it's really not anymore complicated than that. It's much more difficult to hide a bad offensive player than a bad defensive player.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,769

Post#1798 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:The reason that DJ doesn't play continues to be because he's a useless offensive player. Now, that doesn't then explain why equally useless Thanasis plays over him, but it's really not anymore complicated than that. It's much more difficult to hide a bad offensive player than a bad defensive player.

Thanasis is a wild card. Every group needs a wild card.

John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#1799 » by aboveAverage » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:26 pm

DrWood wrote:So now we're leading the division. Lead the league in advanced team stats. Portis and Pat have been highly effective bench players. Midds is playing like an all NBA player. DDV is making his 3s.
Anyone calming down?
Can we get anything for Forbes near the deadline?

I’ll be way more confident when we show we can beat teams like Miami, Dallas, Boston and Utah. Bud gets out coached in the playoffs by high level coaches and that’s all I’m focused on at the moment. Beating Detroit, Cleveland and Orlando is nice to pad our wins for the standings, but that’s not what’s going to win us a championship.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1800 » by crkone » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:57 pm

Here's a few fluke stats:

In Bucks losses, the opponent shoots exactly 50% on wide open 3s. In wins, 35.3%. League average for the past few seasons in wins and losses combined is around 37-38%.

In Bucks losses, the opponent shoots 53.6% on open 3s. In wins, 26.8%. League average for the past few seasons in wins and losses combined is around 35%.

In Bucks wins, the Bucks are shooting 49.3% on wide opens 3s. In losses, 34.4%.

In Bucks wins, the Bucks are shooting 42% on open 3s. In losses, 28.6%.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks