ImageImageImage

Game 11: Phoenix Suns (7-3) @ Washington Wizards (2-8) l Monday l 5:00pm l FSNAZ

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

As a team what should Phoenix improve the most?

Less Turnovers
5%
More FT attempts
23%
Less ISO hero Booker
10%
More physicality
5%
Starter unit clicking better
40%
Pace (30th in league)
15%
Offensive Reb (27th in league)
3%

Total votes: 40

alamin330
Pro Prospect
And1: 497

Re: Game 11: Phoenix Suns (7-3) @ Washington Wizards (2-8) l Monday l 5:00pm l FSNAZ 

Post#441 » by alamin330 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:11 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’ll give credit to Booker for acknowledging and realizing that the bench is the primary reason for our success this season.

I think CP3 style of playing at a super slow pace doesn’t fit the rest of the team all that well. But unfortunately he’s too old to play at a fast paced level and if he tried it he would probably run out of legs by halftime or possibly injure himself.

Should’ve drafted Halliburton.
Could’ve been
Halliburton
CP3
Booker
Mikal
DA

CP3 only passes to his friends
alamin330
Pro Prospect

Re: Game 11: Phoenix Suns (7-3) @ Washington Wizards (2-8) l Monday l 5:00pm l FSNAZ 

Post#442 » by alamin330 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:17 pm

collidingNeurons wrote:
alamin330 wrote:Everyone wants to blame Ayton for everything. Lol. Ayton isn’t the one missing 4 3s straight and then airballing his next one where he’s wide open. Ayton isn’t the one hitting the backboard on a 3 attempt getting it back by a Jones off rebound and shooting it again and misssing worse with a new shot clock.
Ayton also isn’t Jae crowder down 20 + in the 4th on a fast break shooting a 3 with nothing but no one in rebounding position. Lmao. If you think Ayton is the problem you must just not like him as a human. He’s the last person to blame for this.

i don't blame Him for the poor shooting nor the live by the 3 die by the 3 mentality of this team, that's on the coach and GM, but his lack of hustle and his passive approach on offense is on him, he catches the ball 3 feet from the rim and his first look is to pass it or dribble, never at the rim, he looks scared on offense most of the time and i think he is afraid of getting embarrassed by being blocked or something

Have you ever played a basketball game? Try running up and down an nba court for 7 minutes straight, playing defense on the biggest guys, setting picks for everyone and the coach not calling plays for you and you never get the ball in a spot where you can score. He gets the ball and is immediately doubled. He passes it back out and never gets it back. Teams with a big like Ayton use him on EVERY POSSESSION. Suns are wasting him and if he was on any other team he would be a 20-10 guy from day 1. This team don’t care about him. They just care about shooting 3s. The coach is not interested in Ayton scoring. It’s so obvious
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#443 » by Barkley6 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:45 pm

Two thoughts:

1. The issues with the starting unit starts with CP3 for me. Want to know why we are last in pace? Because CP3 allows the ball to roll to half court before picking it up to give us a full 24 second shot clock. But want to know what also happens? Defenders get set and get a nice 5 seconds to catch their breath while CP3 watches the ball roll and our guys stand still waiting for the offense to start. Then Payne comes in and pushes pace up the floor every possession and we all say "WOW THE BENCH IS CARRYING US!" Well, yeah, it's a lot easier to get good shot attempts against a tired and not set defense, it's not rocket science....CP3 is a good point guard, but he needs to get us into the offense earlier.

2. Ayton. There was a moment in yesterdays game where Ayton caught the ball on the elbow with his back to the basket. Lopez didn't come out to cover him and Ayton held the ball for 3 full seconds and I kept expecting him to feel he wasn't covered and face the basket and drive....but he NEVER LOOKED. He never even thought about going to the rim. Another sequence, he caught the ball facing the basket in similar position, Lopez was under the basket again and Ayton.....shot the jumper. He had NO ONE within 15 feet of him and instead of taking it to the rim, he settled for a jump shot. I've never seen Ayton put the ball on the floor to get to the rim, yet when he's under the rim and just needs to catch and go up strong he wants to put the ball on the floor. To me, some of that is Ayton, but some of it is coaching. When they watch film, Monty or Mark Bryant needs to identify those situations to Ayton and say "Look big man, you've got a sweet jumper, but when you shoot from 15 feet out, you're not ever going to get to the FT line. If you want an easier game, get the opposing big in foul trouble, get to the line and get some easy points" Ayton averages TWO free throws a game. Meaning on average he gets fouled once a contest. That's insanity for a starting big man. Want to know why we fall in love with the 3 point shot? Because opposing teams rim protectors are ALWAYS on the floor because Ayton never gets them in foul trouble. Damian Jones got to the line 5 times last night, in 12 minutes. Ayton? ZERO. Sure, he's a finesse player, so was Tim Duncan, but you better believe Duncan knew how to get an opposing big man in foul trouble. I place some of the blame on Ayton himself, it's his 3rd year and he's shown he has the desire to work on his game because he's done it on defense, why not this aspect of it? But some of it is coaching, because I don't know how the coaching staff doesn't realize this and fix it.
alamin330
Pro Prospect

Post#444 » by alamin330 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Barkley6 wrote:Two thoughts:

1. The issues with the starting unit starts with CP3 for me. Want to know why we are last in pace? Because CP3 allows the ball to roll to half court before picking it up to give us a full 24 second shot clock. But want to know what also happens? Defenders get set and get a nice 5 seconds to catch their breath while CP3 watches the ball roll and our guys stand still waiting for the offense to start. Then Payne comes in and pushes pace up the floor every possession and we all say "WOW THE BENCH IS CARRYING US!" Well, yeah, it's a lot easier to get good shot attempts against a tired and not set defense, it's not rocket science....CP3 is a good point guard, but he needs to get us into the offense earlier.

2. Ayton. There was a moment in yesterdays game where Ayton caught the ball on the elbow with his back to the basket. Lopez didn't come out to cover him and Ayton held the ball for 3 full seconds and I kept expecting him to feel he wasn't covered and face the basket and drive....but he NEVER LOOKED. He never even thought about going to the rim. Another sequence, he caught the ball facing the basket in similar position, Lopez was under the basket again and Ayton.....shot the jumper. He had NO ONE within 15 feet of him and instead of taking it to the rim, he settled for a jump shot. I've never seen Ayton put the ball on the floor to get to the rim, yet when he's under the rim and just needs to catch and go up strong he wants to put the ball on the floor. To me, some of that is Ayton, but some of it is coaching. When they watch film, Monty or Mark Bryant needs to identify those situations to Ayton and say "Look big man, you've got a sweet jumper, but when you shoot from 15 feet out, you're not ever going to get to the FT line. If you want an easier game, get the opposing big in foul trouble, get to the line and get some easy points" Ayton averages TWO free throws a game. Meaning on average he gets fouled once a contest. That's insanity for a starting big man. Want to know why we fall in love with the 3 point shot? Because opposing teams rim protectors are ALWAYS on the floor because Ayton never gets them in foul trouble. Damian Jones got to the line 5 times last night, in 12 minutes. Ayton? ZERO. Sure, he's a finesse player, so was Tim Duncan, but you better believe Duncan knew how to get an opposing big man in foul trouble. I place some of the blame on Ayton himself, it's his 3rd year and he's shown he has the desire to work on his game because he's done it on defense, why not this aspect of it? But some of it is coaching, because I don't know how the coaching staff doesn't realize this and fix it.

On almost any other team yes. But this is the suns coached by Monty Williams. They only want 3s. Ayton is probably being told to look for the 3 on the corner. They don’t call plays for DA and he’s not a chemistry disrupter. He will do as he’s told even if he doesn’t agree with it. DA is being used like a scrub.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,406

Post#445 » by Barkley6 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:23 pm

alamin330 wrote:

On almost any other team yes. But this is the suns coached by Monty Williams. They only want 3s. Ayton is probably being told to look for the 3 on the corner. They don’t call plays for DA and he’s not a chemistry disrupter. He will do as he’s told even if he doesn’t agree with it. DA is being used like a scrub.

Don't call plays for DA? I'm not talking about running a play for him, I'm talking about when he gets the ball and has no one within 15 feet of him and he refuses to put the ball on the floor. That has NOTHING to do with play calling or coaching or a system. I've seen Mikal, Cam, Book, etc. drive to the cup in similar circumstances, but not DA. That's DA being passive.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#446 » by nevetsov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Thank you for writing this so I didn't have to!

Pretty simple.

Last year:

Rubio, Book, Mikal, Oubre, Ayton = great
Rubio, Book, Mikal, CamJ, Ayton = great
Therefore
Rubio, Book, Mikal, PF, Ayton = great

Paul, Book, Mikal, PF, Ayton = stinks.
- Book plying like garbage
- Ayton playing like garbage

CP3 is a pound the rock, half court PG.
Rubio maximised the output of the young guys by pushing the tempo and moving the ball.

Something needs to change - either Paul learns how to push it, or Book and DA learn to play half court (which is not their strength).

I think we are fool's gold.
alamin330
Pro Prospect

Post#447 » by alamin330 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:07 pm

Barkley6 wrote:
alamin330 wrote:

Don't call plays for DA? I'm not talking about running a play for him, I'm talking about when he gets the ball and has no one within 15 feet of him and he refuses to put the ball on the floor. That has NOTHING to do with play calling or coaching or a system. I've seen Mikal, Cam, Book, etc. drive to the cup in similar circumstances, but not DA. That's DA being passive.

Those guys are being run off the 3pt line and doing that. DA is not really looking for his shot because CP3 and Monty are only interested in 3s. They f’d his whole mentality up. Now he looks for the corner 3 man instead of his shot. Monty and Cp3 killing the team slowly.
Monty needs to make adjustments. I don’t get how this team is last in pace last in fta but everyone still on Ayton. Ayton isn’t point guard and can’t control pace. Ayton barely gets the ball in the post or at his ft line sweet spot. He doesn’t even get lobs anymore.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#448 » by nevetsov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:14 pm

Paul to CHI
Porter to PHX, Thad Young to MIN
Rubio to PHX

There I said it
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#449 » by bwoolf2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:31 pm

alamin330 wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:
alamin330 wrote:On almost any other team yes. But this is the suns coached by Monty Williams. They only want 3s. Ayton is probably being told to look for the 3 on the corner. They don’t call plays for DA and he’s not a chemistry disrupter. He will do as he’s told even if he doesn’t agree with it. DA is being used like a scrub.

Those guys are being run off the 3pt line and doing that. DA is not really looking for his shot because CP3 and Monty are only interested in 3s. They f’d his whole mentality up. Now he looks for the corner 3 man instead of his shot. Monty and Cp3 killing the team slowly.
Monty needs to make adjustments. I don’t get how this team is last in pace last in fta but everyone still on Ayton. Ayton isn’t point guard and can’t control pace. Ayton barely gets the ball in the post or at his ft line sweet spot. He doesn’t even get lobs anymore.

Are you even watching the games? You seem to have very little awareness of what is happening on.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#450 » by Bogyo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:52 pm

bwoolf2 wrote:
alamin330 wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:

Are you even watching the games? You seem to have very little awareness of what is happening on.

Nope, he is a crazy person flooding the board - or just trolling. Seriously, just ignore him.
Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,091

Post#451 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:21 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Jarlaxle0204 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Do you think that's just a coincidence?

No doubt he's playing hard but has barely passed...fewer open 3s unless they sidestep a defender 1st.

You're out of your mind. Booker has clearly been trying to pass more all season (to the detriment of the team imo). Who should he have passed to tonight? How many missed threes? It felt like he was the only one with any energy out there aside from Mikail in the 2nd half. Cam had energy too but just couldn't buy a bucket. Booker is the reason we weren't down 50 instead of 30.

The missed 3s were not clean looks with great ball movement around the perimeter like we see sometimes. At least half of them were awkward 3s where they had to side step a defender or had a defender coming quickly and had to launch it quickly and there were airballs, just hitting backboard, etc.

It was just ugly ball movement. I'm not talking about him starting to pass later necessarily but coming out with the mindset of playing team ball instead of scoring more than Beal.

He did play hard and scored a lot of points,and did well from the line, so maybe it helped his confidence for the future, but if he just tries to do it all himself and shoot 21 times with no assists...we simply won't be winning a lot of games.

He had a couple of games a lot where he passed to guys quickly and had two straight 6-8 assist games with no turnovers. That's the way we need to play...we have also won big when he was not necessarily the main guy and everyone on the team got about an equal number of shots and we have the ability to shoot well when we play team ball.

I know a lot of people just want a lot of points from Booker regardless of a win or loss, but I prefer to win, regardless of individual performance. Same goes for Ayton..I don't care how many points he scores if we win.

I don't think he cares about points either as evidenced by him looking to pass so much to start the season which incidentally leads to a lot of his turnovers. I don't care if he scores a ton of points either as long as we win. I like watching open shots too but we've seen a number of games now where open shots are just not falling for us. It's times like that where Booker (who is clearly our best scorer) needs to assert himself more to keep us in games and take more shots.

Also, I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that he is coming out with the mindset of scoring more than Beal. That seems like you are projecting.
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#452 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:09 pm

alamin330 wrote:
collidingNeurons wrote:
alamin330 wrote:Everyone wants to blame Ayton for everything. Lol. Ayton isn’t the one missing 4 3s straight and then airballing his next one where he’s wide open. Ayton isn’t the one hitting the backboard on a 3 attempt getting it back by a Jones off rebound and shooting it again and misssing worse with a new shot clock.
Ayton also isn’t Jae crowder down 20 + in the 4th on a fast break shooting a 3 with nothing but no one in rebounding position. Lmao. If you think Ayton is the problem you must just not like him as a human. He’s the last person to blame for this.

i don't blame Him for the poor shooting nor the live by the 3 die by the 3 mentality of this team, that's on the coach and GM, but his lack of hustle and his passive approach on offense is on him, he catches the ball 3 feet from the rim and his first look is to pass it or dribble, never at the rim, he looks scared on offense most of the time and i think he is afraid of getting embarrassed by being blocked or something

Have you ever played a basketball game? Try running up and down an nba court for 7 minutes straight, playing defense on the biggest guys, setting picks for everyone and the coach not calling plays for you and you never get the ball in a spot where you can score. He gets the ball and is immediately doubled. He passes it back out and never gets it back. Teams with a big like Ayton use him on EVERY POSSESSION. Suns are wasting him and if he was on any other team he would be a 20-10 guy from day 1. This team don’t care about him. They just care about shooting 3s. The coach is not interested in Ayton scoring. It’s so obvious

I'm too lazy and upset with the loss last night to read through this whole thread, but except for you all I see are people complaining about Ayton... Ayton is not even remotely the primary problem with the team right now or in this game. You are 100% on point about the 3s. All we do is pass around the perimeter looking for a 3.... And I can't see any explanation for it other than it's the gameplan. None of Bridges, Booker, or Cam Johnson is interested in driving to the basket just because? Coach is telling them to drive but they just want to shoot 3s instead? I call B.S. The entire team didn't just forget the importance of trying to get to the rim, or is ignoring the coaches directions to get to the rim. I think some of the criticism on Ayton is fair, but did Ayton and Saric both sit down with each other and decide "we don't want any post touches even though that's part of coach's gameplan". It's inexplicable that we have possession after possession of 20 seconds of rock pounding just to jack missed 3s, and not a single player or coach thinks "hey why don't we post up Saric on this next possession". That's the primary thing that even made him worth resigning. It's like the entire team has learned nothing from what made them successful in the bubble. I don't get it. This is like the 5th game in a row of the same crap. I don't remember having these thoughts about the O for the first 5 or so games, but maybe I just didn't notice it because the 3s were going down?
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#453 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 pm

The only reason we won the Indy game is because Booker started taking it to the rack. Then we learn nothing from that game and come out jacking 3s again. And I don't remember seeing anyone on the team making a concerted effort to get to the hoop until the 2nd half when we were already down 30. We are playing Moreyball except at the slowest pace in the league. It's been happening for enough games in a row now that it's on Monty to get them playing differently. I'm going to punch my TV if we don't come out to start the next game with post touches and drives.

OK, now that I have that out of my system.... Isn't it great that the Suns are good enough now for us all to care so much about how things are going? We're 7-4 but for many of us it feels like the team is 4-7. Nice to have some expectations for this team again!
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#454 » by bigfoot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 pm

alamin330 wrote:
collidingNeurons wrote:

I would gladly do anything they ask me to for $8M a year.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,221

Post#455 » by King4Day » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:59 pm

Reading that the NBA might pause the season for 2 weeks. I think they should at this point or else it will keep spreading.
Start over with everyone.

Read on Twitter
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Stark
Junior
And1: 686

Post#456 » by Stark » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:07 pm

Definitely worst game of the season but i still think it is too early to make a drastic change. One thing different yesterday was how Wizards defended Book. Generally teams try to double him and force him to find the open man which creates turnovers and stops Book from going off but they were more careful about our shooters and let Book do his thing, they realized that they can outscore us in that way and it worked. Bertans crazy run and Mikal's 3rd foul were defining moments for the game.

Pace is definitely and issue and yeah unfortunately it starts with CP3 and Monty. Last year Thunder's team 22nd in the league too even though they had young guys like Schroeder and SGA and Gallo at the 4 next to rim runner Adams. (last year we were 10th btw) So i don't think that's gonna change and we're not going to evolve in to a run and gun team but we desperately need improvement in that department. I believe Paul is thinking long term and doesn't want to push himself too much at the moment, play-off time he will be pushing the tempo more and take more responsibility. As for Monty i know it's just a guess and i'm just regular fan but i think he is trying to replicate last year's Heat. They were the biggest overachievers with the roster they had. A lot of snipers, pick&roll heavy pg, versatile defensive center,Jae Crowder (lol). With the roster we have it is possible to play like that but it can also backfire as Ayton is not Bam and it kinda wastes Book's scoring potential.

Ayton situation it's not just Ayton being passive or Monty misusing him. It's a bit of both of them. Monty wants him to find shooters it is our top priority on offense and also sometimes he just looks lost out there without any offensive purpose. Yesterday especially was horrendous as he got outplayed every part of the game. I'm still okay with him being a 15-12-2 player with great defense. He can go 0-6 sometimes idk but looking lazy on defense and getting outrebounded by Robin freaking Lopez in not acceptable.

It's gonna be a long season with ups and downs. We have a good team and probably make the playoffs after that anything is possible. Worst thing the team can do is losing confidence and focus. Onto the next one!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,453

Post#457 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:50 pm

Puff wrote:You are amazingly out of your mind. I have no idea why you are supporting Ayton's lady like play. He was the first pick in the draft. Unfortunately that was the NBA draft. The WNBA had a chance to draft him, but passed.

Actually no they didn't. Boy, you and bigfoot sure like to degrade women with your comments insinuating Ayton sucks and that he should be in WNBA or call him SheAndre.

I know maybe you guys are old school but it's pretty distasteful.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#458 » by bigfoot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:54 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Puff wrote:You are amazingly out of your mind. I have no idea why you are supporting Ayton's lady like play. He was the first pick in the draft. Unfortunately that was the NBA draft. The WNBA had a chance to draft him, but passed.

Actually no they didn't. Boy, you and bigfoot sure like to degrade women with your comments insinuating Ayton sucks and that he should be in WNBA or call him SheAndre.

I know maybe you guys are old school but it's pretty distasteful.

I'm deflAytoned
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#459 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:54 pm

PharmD wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

RiCkY rUbIo SuCkEd aT sEtTiNg Up AyToN fOr DuNkS.

Jazz fans said the same thing after the 18-19 season (where Rudy Gobert set the single season record for dunks). Gobert spent the 19-20 season pouting about not getting enough touches.

Yeah, Chris Paul never sets him up with alley oops for some reason. It is strange after in Clipper land they had the nickname lob city. It may have been more of a function of the offense and having 2 dunking bigs.

I know it has been shown Ayton still has more dunks than the other top centers, but I wish they'd throw him more alley oops, though that would help more if we were more of a running team.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#460 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:56 pm

Revived wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:I keep trying to give Ayton a break and he keeps pulling this ****.

MOTHER ****

Imagine if we could swap Ayton for Sabonis? DROOOOOOOOOL

I’d rather swap him with Atlanta for Collins and Okongwu. We get slightly worse defensively but much better offensively and athletically. And I think Collins would improve defensively playing alongside elite defensive wings like Bridges and Crowder.

Imagine having a player this explosive in our starting 5 (he can do a lot more than just dunk btw and is much more skilled offensively than Ayton)

Imagine thinking Ayton sucks but also thinking you could trade him for Collins AND Okongwu.

Return to Phoenix Suns