ImageImageImage

Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Re: Christian Wood didn’t want to leave Detroit 

Post#241 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:02 pm

Or you could just let people who want to vent....vent.

STFU and let them vent

You don’t care? Cool. But don’t bash others for wanting to vent.

And for the record, I didn’t call players like him rare and I didn’t call Wood generational. I said players like him don’t come around very often, and definitely don’t for the Pistons.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#242 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
440BB wrote:Whining isn't what I see, its ruminating. From Healthline -

How long will the rumination go on? Sadly, for some, forever.

I'm estimating 75% Ruminating, 25% Pot Stirring this far out from the transaction.

The Josh Smith signing still gets talked about 8 years later.
The Stanley over Booker pick still gets talked about 6 years later.
The Kennard over Mitchell pick still gets talked about 4 years later.

But the general consensus is the vast majority agree with those opinions, so when they get mentioned no "whining" allegations get thrown around.

I mean we're like a month after the Wood departure (a total of 8 games), and he's done nothing but ball out since. Of course people are going to express their frustrations about what could have been. If you want to analyze someones psyschological makeup and mental health based on them expressing their opinions on a message board themed around relevant subject matter, go right ahead. But to me, it ain't that deep.

As for "stirring the pot" goes, that is exactly your purpose here.
The Josh Smith signing, Stanley over Booker and Kennard over Mitchell situations are all 10 times more franchise crippling than this man.

Let's say we signed Wood for $15 million per, he would have been an asset that's like an 9 out of 10 in value in terms of a future trade. We signed Grant. Grant right now is like an 8 (lower because he makes more) and could be a 9 if he keeps it up. Why the outrage other than personal freaking preference?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

All of this is beside the point.

The prevailing sentiment being pushing here is that people upset with how the Wood situation transpired need to get over it because its in the past and can't be changed. Yet you are trying to make a claim that its the caliber of mistake being the determining factor in whether its permissible to you whether people voice their negative opinions or not.

Either people need to "get over" things "in the past" or they don't. You're are just picking and choosing what situation deserves discussion however long after the fact, and which ones don't. Again its simply a difference of opinion why you are taking offense to other's thoughts.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#243 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:06 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Or you could just let people who want to vent....vent.

STFU and let them vent

And for the record, I didn’t call players like him rare and I didn’t call Wood generational. I said players like him don’t come around very often, and definitely don’t for the Pistons.

This...

Its the very reason why message boards exist
thesack12
RealGM

Post#244 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:08 pm

Manocad wrote:
thesack12 wrote:The "whining" allegations are always amusing to me. They only get thrown out there because other people expressing their opinions happen to differ from their own opinion.

The ironic part about it is accusing others of "whining" is actually "whining" about the terrible experience you have to endure by reading such opinions on a message board.

By that definition, you're whining. :D

I can see how one could interpret it as such. The difference being, I don't bemoan other posters for expressing their opinions. I simply called attention to the irony of such practices.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#245 » by DetroitSho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:12 pm

thesack12 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
The Josh Smith signing still gets talked about 8 years later.
The Stanley over Booker pick still gets talked about 6 years later.
The Kennard over Mitchell pick still gets talked about 4 years later.

But the general consensus is the vast majority agree with those opinions, so when they get mentioned no "whining" allegations get thrown around.

I mean we're like a month after the Wood departure (a total of 8 games), and he's done nothing but ball out since. Of course people are going to express their frustrations about what could have been. If you want to analyze someones psyschological makeup and mental health based on them expressing their opinions on a message board themed around relevant subject matter, go right ahead. But to me, it ain't that deep.

As for "stirring the pot" goes, that is exactly your purpose here.
The Josh Smith signing, Stanley over Booker and Kennard over Mitchell situations are all 10 times more franchise crippling than this man.

Let's say we signed Wood for $15 million per, he would have been an asset that's like an 9 out of 10 in value in terms of a future trade. We signed Grant. Grant right now is like an 8 (lower because he makes more) and could be a 9 if he keeps it up. Why the outrage other than personal freaking preference?

All of this is beside the point.

The prevailing sentiment being pushing here is that people upset with how the Wood situation transpired need to get over it because its in the past and can't be changed. Yet you are trying to make a claim that its the caliber of mistake being the determining factor in whether its permissible to you whether people voice their negative opinions or not.

Either people need to "get over" things "in the past" or they don't. You're are just picking and choosing what situation deserves discussion however long after the fact, and which ones don't. Again its simply a difference of opinion why you are taking offense to other's thoughts.
Ok, go awf then king.

DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#246 » by DetroitSho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:12 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Or you could just let people who want to vent....vent.

STFU and let them vent

Gone and go awf then

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#247 » by flow » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:22 pm

DetroitSho wrote:I mean at what point are you guys going to move on? I wanted Wood to stay just as much as the next guy, but FFS!!!

Ideally for me it would've been great to have Wood AND Grant and call it an off-season. But faced with the choice between Wood OR Grant, no matter if you disagree, that's not the big blunder the million pages of this thread would suggest.

I don't completely disagree with you, but we have to look at the big picture.

We've been a bad team with bad players for decades. Washed-up vets, draft busts, over-paid bench stiffs, over-valued starters... you name it. Then finally, we catch a break, and a guy we put a claim on actually turns out to be the truth. A young, athletic, very good nba player who hasn't neared his ceiling yet. ' Get rid of the entire roster except him'. 'He's going to be part of the core we build going forward'.

Then we hire a new GM to come in and take the reigns. Score a touchdown with the lottery pick, resign Wood, and we're off to the races on the rebuild. Instead, with his first decision, he chooses not to pursue Wood. Then he muffs the lottery pick. Then Wood, in Houston, picks up right where he left off here in Detroit. You can't expect fans to just brush that off. It's not going to be moved on from for some time, as Wood continues to ascend in Houston and Weaver continues to be the GM here.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#248 » by Manocad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:26 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
thesack12 wrote:The "whining" allegations are always amusing to me. They only get thrown out there because other people expressing their opinions happen to differ from their own opinion.

The ironic part about it is accusing others of "whining" is actually "whining" about the terrible experience you have to endure by reading such opinions on a message board.

By that definition, you're whining. :D

I can see how one could interpret it as such. The difference being, I don't bemoan other posters for expressing their opinions. I simply called attention to the irony of such practices.
“He’s gone; move on already” doesn’t equate to “Your opinion is different than mine, so stop posting it.” It’s simply alluding to a desire for more constructive topics.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#249 » by DetroitSho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:33 pm

flow wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:I mean at what point are you guys going to move on? I wanted Wood to stay just as much as the next guy, but FFS!!!

Ideally for me it would've been great to have Wood AND Grant and call it an off-season. But faced with the choice between Wood OR Grant, no matter if you disagree, that's not the big blunder the million pages of this thread would suggest.

I don't completely disagree with you, but we have to look at the big picture.

We've been a bad team with bad players for decades. Washed-up vets, draft busts, over-payed bench stiffs, over-valued starters... you name it. Then finally, we catch a break, and a guy we put a claim on actually turns out to be the truth. A young, athletic, very good nba player who hasn't neared his ceiling yet. ' Get rid of the entire roster except him'. 'He's going to be part of the core we build going forward'.

Then we hire a new GM to come in and take the reigns. Score a touchdown with the lottery pick, resign Wood, and we're off to the races on the rebuild. Instead, with his first decision, he chooses not to pursue Wood. Then he muffs the lottery pick. Then Wood, in Houston, starts right where he left off here in Detroit. You can't expect fans to brush that off. It's not going to be moved on from for a long time, as Wood continues to ascend in Houston and Weaver continues to be the GM here.
I disagree with literally nothing you said, I get it. I'm too disappointed we didn't resign Wood. I'm not even telling people not to be disappointed or vent. But it's more of just, are we going to hear about this every time he scores 20+?

What makes it a little disingenuous to me is if Weaver is an idiot for blowing it with Wood, how is that anger not offset by literally replacing Wood's 2-way production with Grant?

But hey if people want to keep rehashing the thing that makes them unhappy then by all means, have at it. Like I alluded to before, I'm not too interested in some long lasting debate on this.

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#250 » by Invictus88 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:54 am

DetroitSho wrote:.. are we going to hear about this every time he scores 20+?

I mean, you've been on this board long enough to know the answer to this already right? :)

Seriously though I can't find fault with people who want to complain. We suck right now. People are going to be frustrated. They are going to want to vent about why they think that's the case. Weaver is the GM who has made some of these moves and Wood is succeeding elsewhere. I don't find this to be an unreasonable reaction?

What makes it a little disingenuous to me is if Weaver is an idiot for blowing it with Wood, how is that anger not offset by literally replacing Wood's 2-way production with Grant?

I don't think that people's ill feelings towards how Wood was handled can simply be added to feelings about Grant's success and have it magically offset. They are two completely different situations; each with a whole bunch of context around them. To be honest, I'm still warming up to the idea of liking the Grant acquisition. I'm getting there but it takes a while for me to get over the sticker shock.

Unless some new piece of information from the media comes in then I probably don't see the need for me to personally revisit here outside of being bored and wanting something Pistons-related to read about. But if that's the case then I can't very well fault folks here for doing what they do :)
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#251 » by vege » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:06 am

DetroitSho wrote: are we going to hear about this every time he scores 20+?

He only scored 18 today, and Weaver is still and imbecile who gave him away to Houston.

He also gave Bruce Brown away for absolutely nothing, Bruce Brown scored 16 today and helped Brooklyn beat the Grantless Denver without Kyrie Irving the prima dona.

Would you rather have Deividas Sirvydis or Bruce Brown? Weaver decided to go with 3 years of Deividas Sirvydis :banghead:
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#252 » by El Chivo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:17 am

You really wanted that 9th seed.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#253 » by Pharaoh » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:21 am

Lol now we're gonna hear from Bruce fans too? Few cared when we traded him. More cared that we dumped Musa to get down to roster requirements!

As for Wood - I got no idea why we didn't want him here but unlike some I do believe the GM we have actually spent time doing his homework and found a reason not to keep him.

Weaver had months to come up with a plan and if Wood didn't figure in there somewhere there must be a reason, right?

Then I remember we stretched Dedmon and Smith to sign Plumlee and Ellington and wonder

I guess I'd just rather focus on Grant, Bey, Stewart, Jackson and the 2021 Draft (& Hayes - haven't given up on him after 8 games but he ain't playing so )
vege wrote:

He only scored 18 today, and Weaver is still and imbecile who gave him away to Houston.

He also gave Bruce Brown away for absolutely nothing, Bruce Brown scored 16 today and helped Brooklyn beat the Grantless Denver without Kyrie Irving the prima dona.

Would you rather have Deividas Sirvydis or Bruce Brown? Weaver decided to go with 3 years of Deividas Sirvydis :banghead:

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
El Chivo
Starter

Post#254 » by El Chivo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:21 am

I'm waiting for Galloway's, Jordan Bone's and Tony Snell's widows.

Then will be Mc Rae's time.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#255 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 am

El Chivo wrote:I'm waiting for Galloway's, Jordan Bone's and Tony Snell's widows.

You're a sick man, leave those women alone
El Chivo
Starter

Post#256 » by El Chivo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:44 am

MotownMadness wrote:
El Chivo wrote:I'm waiting for Galloway's, Jordan Bone's and Tony Snell's widows.

You're a sick man, leave those women alone

I forgot Thon Maker. He'll post a double double sooner or later.
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 560

Post#257 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:54 am

I wonder if there's a 'Jerami Grant didn't want to leave Denver' thread on the Nuggets' board? :lol: :peace:
Manocad
RealGM

Post#258 » by Manocad » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:10 pm

vege wrote:

If Bruce Brown is part of your rebuilding plan I can assure you you're doing it wrong. Arguing that Weaver could have gotten more for Bruce Brown is a fair point, but look at it this way--why would you feel bad about losing a player who in no way should be considered part of the long term rebuilding plan to instead have a player who contributes less toward winning games during the rebuild? To me that's a GOOD rebuild move. Winning games right now is not good for the Pistons' cause.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,928

Post#259 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:21 pm

El Chivo wrote:I forgot Thon Maker. He'll post a double double sooner or later.

Thon Maker is worth forgetting about.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#260 » by Manocad » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm

_Und3r][D4wg_ wrote:I wonder if there's a 'Jerami Grant didn't want to leave Denver' thread on the Nuggets' board? :lol: :peace:

There is a Jerami Grant thread but it originated back in 2019. The latest posts are about him leaving but there's certainly only a minimal amount of angst, and most of it is criticizing him personally for leaving rather than the team messing up by letting him go.

Return to Detroit Pistons