Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Re: Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock 

Post#921 » by patryk7754 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 am

dice wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:
dice wrote:there's no argument to be made that minshew is markedly better than foles. why trade assets for a minor upgrade at best?

I guess we just disagree on how good Minshew is. I don't think its a minor upgrade. He's played well for a trash Jags team. Foles isn't even in the conversation. He'd be a better version of Mitch and by that, I mean more accurate passer and better decision-maker. He won't be an All-pro talent but he won't be bad either. And I would consider Minshew a more valuable asset than either of Miller or Quinn. Idk why people are reluctant to trade for a starting-caliber QB making 800k and the most we'd have to give up is, what, a 5th rounder? Its a no-brainer to me.

OK, so then if minshew is a significant upgrade, then why is his dirt cheap contract only gonna fetch a 5th rounder? foles lost his job to minshew, makes more money and got a 4th rounder

because they'll have Trevor Lawrence and that would take almost all the value out of minshew. I guess I could be wrong on what teams would offer him but I think the Jags lose almost all leverage for a minshew trade once drafting Lawrence. Only way I see the jags getting decent value for him is if a bidding war starts for minshew and I don't see that happening. It happened with Foles but that was only because the Colts wanted him too. I think the other teams would rather stick with what they got at QB or draft one rather than trading for minshew. But again, I'm making assumptions, but I think they're reasonable.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#922 » by Susan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:05 am

dice wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:
dice wrote:there's no argument to be made that minshew is markedly better than foles. why trade assets for a minor upgrade at best?

I guess we just disagree on how good Minshew is. I don't think its a minor upgrade. He's played well for a trash Jags team. Foles isn't even in the conversation. He'd be a better version of Mitch and by that, I mean more accurate passer and better decision-maker. He won't be an All-pro talent but he won't be bad either. And I would consider Minshew a more valuable asset than either of Miller or Quinn. Idk why people are reluctant to trade for a starting-caliber QB making 800k and the most we'd have to give up is, what, a 5th rounder? Its a no-brainer to me.

OK, so then if minshew is a significant upgrade, then why is his dirt cheap contract only gonna fetch a 5th rounder? foles lost his job to minshew, makes more money and got a 4th rounder

Minshew is physically limited, not sure what his trade value is but I'd honestly be happy with this.

I think he'd be better than Mitch because he can actually go through progressions and has a bit more moxie to him. Mitch always just felt flat here and he'd have a penchant for just making the wrong, low football IQ play (running out of bounds on 4th down).

Minshew would have the keys for 2 years, if he failed in year one, use draft capital to get a young QB in the following draft. If he does well, extend him and you can manage the cap a bit with a cheap QB room for the next two seasons.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#923 » by transplant » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 pm

Based on what I'm hearing on sportstalk radio, George is very much back on the clock. The longer it goes without any sort of announcement, the more it looks like both Pace and Nagy will be back. I wouldn't want to be George.

Nagy was brought in to fix the Bears offense. He hasn't, but he has the Mitch excuse which is all on Pace. On the other hand, Nagy has been stubborn about trying to make Mitch fit his system rather than running an offense that plays to Trubisky's strengths. Also, the narrative since 2019 was that the Bears offense only needed to be average based on the superiority of the Bears defense. Well, in the second half of this season, the Bears offense was at least average. Unfortunately, just when the Bears offense was elevating its game to average+, the Bears defense was regressing to average at best. Nagy may be offensive oriented, but he's responsible for the whole team.

Pace made a fatal mistake on Trubisky, but he's also responsible for a lot of good decisions. I won't enumerate all of these, but the successful rebuilding of the offensive line this year was dependent on players like C Sam Mustifer and Guard Alex Bars, both of whom Pace signed as undrafted free agents. That's stellar stuff. Further, a lot of the problem the Bears OL had this season was the coaching staff's stubborn insistence that Rashaad Coward was a NFL-quality offensive lineman (he isn't). This isn't on Pace. It's on OL Coach Juan Castillo and ultimately on Nagy.

Having been a decisionmaker in my career, I know that you're going to make mistakes that are not evidence of incompetence. Every decision you make carries with it the possibility that you could be wrong. It goes with the territory.

All this said, I believe Ed has cause to fire both Pace and Nagy, Pace only or Nagy only. I also wouldn't blame him for giving both of them another season.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,334

Post#924 » by fleet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:35 pm

guys from the practice squad rescuing your line is not stellar stuff transplant. That means plan A failed and the Bears wasted money/assets. The failure was revealed via injury, but it was still not working.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#925 » by transplant » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:47 pm

fleet wrote:guys from the practice squad rescuing your line is not stellar stuff transplant. That means plan A failed and Pace wasted money/assets.

Disagree...strongly. Plan A failed because Daniels (their best OL) and Massie got injured and Whitehair (their 2nd best OL) got "Covided." Pace found quality OL players who no one else drafted. That's good ****, man.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#926 » by patryk7754 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:58 pm

Here is who I believe our options for QB.

Free Agency
Matt Stafford-he'd have to sign between 25-30m a year. Wouldn't be surprised if he got more tho. We'd also have to let Robison walk
Derek Carr-probably will get 25m and would have to let Robinson Walk
Fitzpatrick:less than 5mil strong chance of keeping Robinson
Newton: min. Keep Robinson
Dalton: less than 5mil Strong chance of keeping Robinson
Tyrod Taylor: 3m or less. Keep Robinson

Trades
Sam Darnold: Wouldn't give up more than a third
Gardner Minshew: Wouldn't give up more than a 5th and Anthony Miller

Draft
Mac Jones: Reminds me of Eli Manning. I don't think he'll be great but he's better than average probably
Zach Wilson: He plays a lot like Murry to me but I don't think he'll that good.
Kyle Trask: Plays like Wentz
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#927 » by patryk7754 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:38 pm

Cut Hicks, Leno, Massie, Graham, Wims. get about 15m in restructures. Enter Free Agency will about 50 in cap. Let Robinson walk, sign Stafford to a 2/50m, sign Sambrailo and Remmers to be our starting Ts, Marvin jones to 5-10mil and Troy hill to be our nickel.

Draft WR in the first or second.
stl705
Senior
And1: 152

Post#928 » by stl705 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:51 pm

Robinson is already gone, let’s not act like there’s any chance he comes back. He doesn’t want to come back.

There’s no argument to keep Nagy or Pace, both have failed despite having talent. Pace has struck out 3 times trying to find a QB and has spent a top 5 pick, a 3rd rd, and a 4th round plus boatloads of money in acquiring Glennon, Mitch, and Foles.

That doesn’t cut it. Are we the lions and just accepting being a loser now? If so ok lets run it back with both guys. Anyone whose played football can see the awful in game calls nagy makes from a HC standpoint. He’s terrible. Had to give up playcalling so what is it he’s good at?

Losing to Philly and the Saints in wildcard games averaging 20 pts? Trestman made playoffs too and his offense scored more than 20 pts when it was there. I’m not saying Trestman was a good coach, but time has run its course for nagy.

The Bears have one of the worst ownership groups in football. The McCaskeys are a nice family and I truly believe they WANT to win.. the problem is they know aboslutely NOTHING about football. I don’t care who Virginia’s dad was, the current family doesn’t know jack about football and it’s been obvious for decades.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#929 » by patryk7754 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:58 am

Pagano is retiring. Bring in Aubrey Pleasant
Susan
RealGM

Post#930 » by Susan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:01 am

Read on Twitter
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#931 » by patryk7754 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:03 am

Wouldn't be surprised if we hire Matt Patricia. Pace's MO is to bring in a big name DC. Marvin Lewis wouldn't surprise me either
Susan
RealGM

Post#932 » by Susan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:53 am

Read on Twitter

Aaron Glenn was a longtime CB in the NFL
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Post#933 » by The Explorer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:57 am

Bet on Jay Rodgers getting promoted to DC.
Its too bad they didn't give Phillips the boot. They really needed a football mind as the top executive.
MisterRoy
Veteran
And1: 1,001

Post#934 » by MisterRoy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:17 am

Would Fangio come back if he is let go in Denver?

Sent from somewhere you've never been.
Susan
RealGM

Post#935 » by Susan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:24 am

MisterRoy wrote:Would Fangio come back if he is let go in Denver?

Sent from somewhere you've never been.

He's safe this year.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#936 » by Jcool0 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:39 am

Read on Twitter
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#937 » by Ben Wilson25 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:04 am

Tribune just posted an article that Pace and Nagy are both likely to be back next year.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,879

Post#938 » by nomorezorro » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:15 am

and after such a great season, why wouldn't they be....
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#939 » by patryk7754 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Jarod Mayo is getting some attendance for head coaching positions. I don’t think he’ll get a HC job but I’d be intrigued by him as a DC
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#940 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:08 pm

transplant wrote:
fleet wrote:guys from the practice squad rescuing your line is not stellar stuff transplant. That means plan A failed and Pace wasted money/assets.

Disagree...strongly. Plan A failed because Daniels (their best OL) and Massie got injured and Whitehair (their 2nd best OL) got "Covided." Pace found quality OL players who no one else drafted. That's good ****, man.

I'm big fans of both Daniels and Whitehair. But when all these guys were healthy this offensive line as a unit was terrible. TERRIBLE.
Pace filled in some practice squad players that nobody else wanted and got lucky. Plan A was failing hard. Lets not be giving Pace credit for this. Lets also not forget it was soon after Nagy gave up play calling that we started seeing some cohesiveness on the offensive side in multiple areas.

Return to Chicago Bulls