2020-21 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#521 » by eminence » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:07 am

Curious as to what the Harden offers are looking like right now.
I bought a boat.
eminence
RealGM

Post#522 » by eminence » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:27 am

Trae Young - fallen back to earth after a scorching start and my general concern with him in comparison to the guys he gets mentioned with (Nash/Curry) in terms of being an absolute game changer on offense is still there - he's not anywhere near a GOAT level shooter like they both were, how does his archetype work if the defense is fine with him shooting? (This is all relative of course, he'll be/already is good, these are concerns relative to him turning into an MVP level offensive guy)
I bought a boat.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#523 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:32 am

The Nets have been underwhelming so far, only 6-6, but KD has been fantastic. 34/9/13 tonight against Denver in a big comeback win.

Overall for the season, if my math is right, he's at 30/8/6 on 68% TS.

I think Embiid is MVP so far, and LeBron and Tatum I guess are up there because they're the best players on teams that have been winning a lot, but Durant kind of has to be in MVP convo right now right? Mainly because none of the top contenders outside of LA and Philly have been winning as much as expected, and he's individually played as well as anyone.

EDIT: Curry and Jokic are obviously legit candidates as well, I would think.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#524 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:34 am

eminence wrote:Trae Young - fallen back to earth after a scorching start and my general concern with him in comparison to the guys he gets mentioned with (Nash/Curry) in terms of being an absolute game changer on offense is still there - he's not anywhere near a GOAT level shooter like they both were, how does his archetype work if the defense is fine with him shooting? (This is all relative of course, he'll be/already is good, these are concerns relative to him turning into an MVP level offensive guy)

I kind of always wondered why he always got credit as being this amazing shooter? He's a career 34% 3pt shooter so far...he takes a ton of 3s, that doesn't necessarily mean he's that great at them.

He also plays similar to Harden in terms of foul-baiting, makes it hard for me to enjoy watching him play, but that's a personal side note.
eminence
RealGM

Post#525 » by eminence » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 am

therealbig3 wrote:The Nets have been underwhelming so far, only 6-6, but KD has been fantastic. 34/9/13 tonight against Denver in a big comeback win.

I think Embiid is MVP so far, and LeBron and Tatum I guess are up there because they're the best players on teams that have been winning a lot, but Durant kind of has to be in MVP convo right now right? Mainly because none of the top contenders outside of LA and Philly have been winning as much as expected, and he's individually played as well as anyone.

KD's looked unstoppable on offense so far, anyone bothered to watch his D yet? I imagine the effort isn't super high and I'm fine with that.

Kawhi/PG13/Jokic/Giannis/Steph would probably all be in my top 10 as well, not sure who'd be the 10th.

Giannis with basically no chance at actually 3peating though.
I bought a boat.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#526 » by bondom34 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:14 am

eminence wrote:Curious as to what the Harden offers are looking like right now.

Well he's not helping it.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Spoiler:
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,844

Post#527 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 am

I dont wanna admit it but tbh Giannis with better coaching is prolly the best in the league other than playoff bron lol. Playoff AD the only guy I would really consider (and thats assuming last years the norm).
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
eminence
RealGM

Post#528 » by eminence » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 am

bondom34 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Spoiler:

That's a fun one, but yeah, just so many different things to consider.
I bought a boat.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#529 » by bondom34 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:33 am

eminence wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Spoiler:

That's a fun one, but yeah, just so many different things to consider.

That was just the start but man NBA drama is going all the way up.

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Post#530 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 am

To be fair, I don't think any team is beating the Lakers this year. They're not even taking it serious right now and are clearly the best team in the league. Can seem hopeless when you play them back to back and get down by 20 in the first quarter. Still think Houston should be a playoff team.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#531 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 am

bondom34 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Spoiler:

You almost feel bad for him, but then he does something like this and reminds everyone why he's the worst:

Read on Twitter
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#532 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:46 am

I may have been quite wrong about Wiggins. The way he's playing right now compared to what he was doing before makes me think that he's never been coached before. Attacking off the catch instead of holding the ball, swinging the ball around, not settling for inefficient jumpers as much and hustling hard on defense. It's quite jarring the difference.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Post#533 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:50 am

Peregrine01 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
2. I've said before and I'll say again: Kyrie is the kind of guy who could actually become a threat to retire from the NBA and create a rival to the NBA. He couldn't of course making an NBA-sized league, but he wouldn't need to. With a population of young people who like the players more than they like watching 5 on 5 basketball, it's entirely possible that there'd be a market for a 1 on 1 league which Kyrie would do great in. Wouldn't draw the kind of revenue that the NBA has, but of course it wouldn't need to if it's just making money for superstar players with lots of followers.

Should that happen, we could end up in a situation where the NBA loses credibility compared to its former self, sees revenues fall, and then the whole precarious thing might teeter and fall. Pro basketball ain't going anywhere and if the NBA makes smart choices neither will it, but someone like Kyrie is a danger.

Last note: If you're thought is "C'mon, Kyrie could never actually work to get anything done like that!", you're right of course, but he may not need to personally competent if he's surrounded by others who are.

You really think a 1 on 1 league would get traction? I mean, a big appeal about team basketball is all the passing, strategizing and team chemistry that goes along with it. I think the dynamism of the game gets lost when it's stripped down into just a mano-a-mano game. Besides, in 1 on 1 it's generally big men who end up dominating and who wants to see a couple big men back down each other in the post.

People already follow Kyrie online for his persona and highlights. Some would follow him to something like this. Enough for him to make as much money as he does in the NBA? Probably not. But this isn't about whether it's wise for Kyrie to make this switch - not that wisdom and Kyrie have any intersection at all anyway - it's just about what could conceivably happen.

I'll also say it doesn't have to be 1 on 1, the key point is just the possibility of superstars like this finding another way to stay relevant and lucrative that sucks attention away from the NBA.

Re: big man dominate 1 on 1. Point taken. It would clearly need too be set up in a way that prevented anything resembling post play.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,141

Post#534 » by PaulieWal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:56 am

This Kyrie situation is just bizarre. I can't remember a time when a star player just decided to leave his team for no other reason other than that he doesn't feel like playing, and no one really knows what's going on. I do remember the time Derrick Rose went MIA for a game or two when he was on the Knicks but then was fined IIRC and was back to playing after 2 games.

This literally makes no sense as there are no issues with the team and Kyrie is finally playing with a superstar of his choice in a city he picked. If he's going to pull this crap here, he was never ever going to work in Cleveland or Boston (cities or players he didn't pick).
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#535 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 am

PaulieWal wrote:This Kyrie situation is just bizarre. I can't remember a time when a star player just decided to leave his team for no other reason other than that he doesn't feel like playing, and no one really knows what's going on. I do remember the time Derrick Rose went MIA for a game or two when he was on the Knicks but then was fined IIRC and was back to playing after 2 games.

This literally makes no sense as there are no issues with the team and Kyrie is finally playing with a superstar of his choice in a city he picked. If he's going to pull this crap here, he was never ever going to work in Cleveland or Boston (cities or players he didn't pick).

I don't think Kyrie even knows what's going on in his head.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#536 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:16 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
2. I've said before and I'll say again: Kyrie is the kind of guy who could actually become a threat to retire from the NBA and create a rival to the NBA. He couldn't of course making an NBA-sized league, but he wouldn't need to. With a population of young people who like the players more than they like watching 5 on 5 basketball, it's entirely possible that there'd be a market for a 1 on 1 league which Kyrie would do great in. Wouldn't draw the kind of revenue that the NBA has, but of course it wouldn't need to if it's just making money for superstar players with lots of followers.

Should that happen, we could end up in a situation where the NBA loses credibility compared to its former self, sees revenues fall, and then the whole precarious thing might teeter and fall. Pro basketball ain't going anywhere and if the NBA makes smart choices neither will it, but someone like Kyrie is a danger.

Last note: If you're thought is "C'mon, Kyrie could never actually work to get anything done like that!", you're right of course, but he may not need to personally competent if he's surrounded by others who are.

You really think a 1 on 1 league would get traction? I mean, a big appeal about team basketball is all the passing, strategizing and team chemistry that goes along with it. I think the dynamism of the game gets lost when it's stripped down into just a mano-a-mano game. Besides, in 1 on 1 it's generally big men who end up dominating and who wants to see a couple big men back down each other in the post.

People already follow Kyrie online for his persona and highlights. Some would follow him to something like this. Enough for him to make as much money as he does in the NBA? Probably not. But this isn't about whether it's wise for Kyrie to make this switch - not that wisdom and Kyrie have any intersection at all anyway - it's just about what could conceivably happen.

I'll also say it doesn't have to be 1 on 1, the key point is just the possibility of superstars like this finding another way to stay relevant and lucrative that sucks attention away from the NBA.

Re: big man dominate 1 on 1. Point taken. It would clearly need too be set up in a way that prevented anything resembling post play.

Something like a competing league would need at minimum a critical mass of players that will necessarily have to be at a very high level. Professional sports leagues tend to be monopolies because the best players need to play against the best players to be recognized as the best and the fans only want to see the best. Compounding this is the entrenched media infrastructure already in place.

Even the biggest stars like LeBron face nearly impossible odds in setting something like this up. Players grow old and retire but the league goes on.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#537 » by bondom34 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:52 am

Sabonis was the All Star last year but if he and Turner were on different teams they might both be All Stars. That frontcourt is so good. Both guys and both guys seem to fly under the radar.

Edit: Think they're both that quality of player at least.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant

Post#538 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 am

As much as I love watching Curry play, I hate how passive he gets sometimes. Yeah, the defense is doubling the crap out of you and yeah, you're seeing a box and 1 every night but at some point you have to get the damn ball. I get that he and Kerr are trying to get others to learn the system but when he comes out and just lets himself get denied, he's taking himself and his team out of the game.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#539 » by kayess » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:41 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Spoiler:

You almost feel bad for him, but then he does something like this and reminds everyone why he's the worst:

Read on Twitter

Someday (and I'm hnot saying I hope it happens), he's gonna get the Mo Salah treatment (care of Sergio Ramos) : try to bait a foul by hooking the arm, run into some dumb **** who will injure you
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#540 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:45 am

eminence wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:The Nets have been underwhelming so far, only 6-6, but KD has been fantastic. 34/9/13 tonight against Denver in a big comeback win.

KD's looked unstoppable on offense so far, anyone bothered to watch his D yet? I imagine the effort isn't super high and I'm fine with that.

Kawhi/PG13/Jokic/Giannis/Steph would probably all be in my top 10 as well, not sure who'd be the 10th.

Giannis with basically no chance at actually 3peating though.

I actually think him and Allen have been the two best defenders on the team by far, his effort has been really good and his length is a major factor in terms of rebounding and affecting shots.

Return to Player Comparisons