ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 11: The Good Guys (6-4) vs the Holidays (6-4)

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Re: Game 11: The Good Guys (6-4) vs the Holidays (6-4) 

Post#221 » by cpower » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:05 am

Samurai wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Steph being passive down the stretch is embarrassing. Needs to be aggressive rather than pass the ball out 50 times.

I disagree. I think Steph was looking for his shot - at least as much as realistic considering he wasn't having a particularly good shooting night - but Indy's whole scheme was to send multiple guys at Steph to force him to give it up. It's up to the open guys to make Indy pay and we simply couldn't hit those shots down the stretch. You can't just force up shots when you are triple-teamed.

he was not always triple teamed, there was plenty of iso opportunities (espcially on sabonis). there is no pull up threes, he was passing and barely wanted to shoot..not sure what is up with Steph was Kerr asking him to play like Reddick and abandon all the iso balls?
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#222 » by DAWill1128 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:07 am

As strange as it sounds I mean you look at the game and it’s neck and neck with us ahead. What did we do strategically down the stretch that didn’t work? Well, we were trading buckets and then subbed out Wiseman. Once Wiseman subbed out we were really small considering we were going against Sabonis and Turner. Indiana got the ball inside and because we were smaller our guys crashed the paint to help and got burned by 3’s that were generating off interior kick outs. This wasn’t an effort loss, Kerr tried to go with a quicker lineup to put Indiana away and it backfired the other way immediately.

Sabonis is really good. I think it was the Evans draft I really wanted Aaron Holiday, would’ve been an awesome Steph backup. Still never understood releasing Justin Holiday for McAdoo, he’s solid.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 761

Post#223 » by jaymo123 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:09 am

azwfan wrote:
jaymo123 wrote:
azwfan wrote:I'm on pins and needles waiting for FNQ's 3 stars.
I nominate Steph for the Oubre award. So many moving screen turnovers and majority are on him.

Huh?

Not sure how to explain without reposting the exact same thing. Do you not agree with that Steph should get the Oubre award, don't know what FNQ's 3 stars is, or don't understand why Steph was responsible for a lot of the moving screen turnovers?

No, I understand yet I disagree. Steph has been doing the same thing off the screens and they never call them as much as they did tonight. Slight adjustments can be made to that but I ain't blaming Steph. The Oubre award goes to the bench tonight.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#224 » by azwfan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 am

DAWill1128 wrote:As strange as it sounds I mean you look at the game and it’s neck and neck with us ahead. What did we do strategically down the stretch that didn’t work? Well, we were trading buckets and then subbed out Wiseman. Once Wiseman subbed out we were really small considering we were going against Sabonis and Turner. Indiana got the ball inside and because we were smaller our guys crashed the paint to help and got burned by 3’s that were generating off interior kick outs. This wasn’t an effort loss, Kerr tried to go with a quicker lineup to put Indiana away and it backfired the other way immediately.

Sabonis is really good. I think it was the Evans draft I really wanted Aaron Holiday, would’ve been an awesome Steph backup. Still never understood releasing Justin Holiday for McAdoo, he’s solid.

We didn't release Justin Holiday. He left as a free agent.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,020

Post#225 » by Frozzy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 am

Steph needs to attack his man sometimes. Stop calling for a high screen every possession. Of course they're gonna blitz him.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 761

Post#226 » by jaymo123 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:12 am

cpower wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Steph being passive down the stretch is embarrassing. Needs to be aggressive rather than pass the ball out 50 times.

I disagree. I think Steph was looking for his shot - at least as much as realistic considering he wasn't having a particularly good shooting night - but Indy's whole scheme was to send multiple guys at Steph to force him to give it up. It's up to the open guys to make Indy pay and we simply couldn't hit those shots down the stretch. You can't just force up shots when you are triple-teamed.

he was not always triple teamed, there was plenty of iso opportunities (espcially on sabonis). there is no pull up threes, he was passing and barely wanted to shoot..not sure what is up with Steph was Kerr asking him to play like Reddick and abandon all the iso balls?

Kerr don't like too much iso ball. Plus, when Steph did have Sabonis, a double was always coming. As soon as Steph drove, the guy came and Steph passed to open guys but the guys he passed to weren't thinking offense such as Draymond and Looney.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#227 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 am

3 stars

1) Kelly Oubre - just finished catching up 1st half and he was really aggressive and it worked for him, we'll take it
2) Andrew Wiggins - 5 blks :o When Klay comes back, he's Wigguodala and I can't wait to see it
3) Damion Lee - bench guy who stepped up

Kelly Oubre Underperformance Award goes to Brad Wanamaker for a truly brutal game, topped by 2 missed layups

Thought about making it Steph but I didn't see any play where he was passive to a fault or anything. If teams sell out to guard him, teammates have to help him out more. Not having Paschall was huge.. but ultimately I think Wanamaker was just all negative. I saw him in the 4th being truly bad on rotations as well.. just a bad night from a player who's minutes should be in jeopardy
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#228 » by Swift21 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:18 am

Kerr still can't figure out how to adjust to the box and one defense.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Post#229 » by cpower » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:19 am

jaymo123 wrote:
cpower wrote:
Samurai wrote:I disagree. I think Steph was looking for his shot - at least as much as realistic considering he wasn't having a particularly good shooting night - but Indy's whole scheme was to send multiple guys at Steph to force him to give it up. It's up to the open guys to make Indy pay and we simply couldn't hit those shots down the stretch. You can't just force up shots when you are triple-teamed.

Kerr don't like too much iso ball. Plus, when Steph did have Sabonis, a double was always coming. As soon as Steph drove, the guy came and Steph passed to open guys but the guys he passed to weren't thinking offense such as Draymond and Looney.

that is the problem, if you are one of the best offensive players every seen, you have to attack when there is one big guy switched to you. I dont understand the logic here, deferring to a 48%TS finisher will not do good to our offense. Curry will need to score 30-35 for us to make PS, and our offense rating is now dropping to bottom 10 every game passby. Not a good sign.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:20 am

Azubuike is way better post game when he’s allowed time to give insights
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#231 » by Coxy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:20 am

One that got away. Plenty to learn from in there.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#232 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:21 am

Swift21 wrote:Kerr still can't figure out how to adjust to the box and one defense.

I don’t think you can have Oubre closing games you want to win. You’d have 2 guys on the court that the opposition would happily allow an open 3 from
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#233 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 am

Wannamaker....want to make a shot..... 0-6 from our back up point guard?
Is it me or is he really not very impactful on this team? Seems to float around and never really break down the defense...:(
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Swift21
General Manager

Post#234 » by Swift21 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:24 am

wraith985 wrote:Draymond does so many good things, but he can't finish to save his life anymore.

I watched some of clips of him from the 2015-16 season. Offensively I miss that Draymond so much. He was so much more confident and aggressive attacking the defense.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#235 » by HiRez » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:26 am

cpower wrote:
jaymo123 wrote:
cpower wrote:he was not always triple teamed, there was plenty of iso opportunities (espcially on sabonis). there is no pull up threes, he was passing and barely wanted to shoot..not sure what is up with Steph was Kerr asking him to play like Reddick and abandon all the iso balls?

that is the problem, if you are one of the best offensive players every seen, you have to attack when there is one big guy switched to you. I dont understand the logic here, deferring to a 48%TS finisher will not do good to our offense. Curry will need to score 30-35 for us to make PS, and our offense rating is now dropping to bottom 10 every game passby. Not a good sign.

Yeah, there were several times when Sabonis got stuck on Steph and he kind of hesitated instead of attacking immediately. That could have been exploited more. When Steph gets hesitant for any reason it's no bueno. But we were shorthanded, Wiseman was in foul trouble, no one shot very well outside of Oubre and Lee, and we were right in it until we botched it at the end, against a good team. I'm not too upset about it.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#236 » by tarantism » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:27 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Wannamaker....want to make a shot..... 0-6 from our back up point guard?
Is it me or is he really not very impactful on this team? Seems to float around and never really break down the defense...:(
As I keep saying, Wanamaker isn't a shot creator. What he SHOULD be proficient at is hitting open shots and solid team defense. He sucked at both tonight, and there isn't any reason to play him if that's the case.

Sent from my LM-X220PM using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#237 » by DAWill1128 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:30 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Wannamaker....want to make a shot..... 0-6 from our back up point guard?

That’s why I’ve never been big on him, he’s more a spot up shooter. Doesn’t have the floor vision of a guy like Livingston or the speed of a Barbosa. Wanamaker is a steady guard I guess, not exceptional. I just want to see them give Lin’s dribble drive game a shot to see if it changes the dynamic with Curry out, not sure that will happen though.

I think Paschall has definitely taken the reign as the dribble drive initiator with Curry out. I am thankful Kerr figured out he could get by centers consistently, his best strategic move of the year.
Swift21
General Manager

Post#238 » by Swift21 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:09 am

Read on Twitter
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#239 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:16 am

When Curried is doubled guys need to move so that Draymond can get them the ball in a sitution that they can exploit. But what situations can they exploit?
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#240 » by likashing » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:26 am

I blame the GG selection.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.

Return to Golden State Warriors