Hield instead of Beal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Re: Hield instead of Beal 

Post#21 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:30 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:Your implying the kings should be looking to dump Buddy for Salary relief? Because that's a no Buddy has his flaws but he can hit big shots late in games period.

Last night was a great example of why Buddy is valuable. On a good team with a competent head coach, the kid would do awesome. Yesterday the Kings played like a good team, and Buddy made some huge plays and was a big part of that win. The OP doesn't reflect his value, but there is certainly no incentive for the Kings to pay to move him or accept worse incoming players.

Hields' great game has now boosted his TS% to (just under) 51%. I hate the small samples, and think the whole season is too small to talk much about. But surely the whole season has more meaning than just taking the one game where Hield hit 55% from 3 and talking it up, right? I don't think there is confusion as to who Hield is as a player, now as a 28 year old, and one game doesn't show a side that hasn't consistently been there before, at least to me.

I mean. I like to look at 2018/2019 and then compare to 2019/2020. I'm not a Joerger fan, but he certainly kept Buddy in check far better than Walton did. Not to mention last year we dealt with an insane amount of injuries.

2018/2019 he was 21ppg, 43% from 3, 59% TS. He was always a negative on defense, but his offensive output certainly outweighed that.

Last year he seemed to take a step back. Turnover % up, shooting % down, overall play was worse.

I'm not too concerned about an 11 game sample, or last nights game for that matter. The point was last night was an example of what we have seen from him on a pretty consistent basis in the past.

Last year he clearly got too ahead of himself. Tried to force the issue, and due to injuries was given more offensive responsibility he never should have been given. Its a lack of coaching to even put him in that place in the first place, but I could somewhat understand as there were times we played without Bogdan/Fox and relied on Joseph/Yogi/Buddy to initiate the offense. Essentially an unwinnable situation.

My ideal situation for Buddy would be a Klay like feel. Don't take more than a dribble at a time. Either shoot or make the easy swing pass immediately. Obviously his defense will never be up to par with some of the better players and that will always be his handicap. When he tries his on ball defense can be okay, but his awareness is severely lacking.

And again i'm not arguing that OP is a fair trade for him. Its that sacramento has no business paying assets to dump him, and being Sacramento the cap space is truly meaningless. So why trade him for a worse player? I just have a feeling after seeing shooters continue to get massively paid this summer, Buddy will work himself into his contract. Might take 1-2 years, but better to hold for now while we aren't going anywhere then to sell at a low.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#22 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:33 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Hields' great game has now boosted his TS% to (just under) 51%. I hate the small samples, and think the whole season is too small to talk much about. But surely the whole season has more meaning than just taking the one game where Hield hit 55% from 3 and talking it up, right? I don't think there is confusion as to who Hield is as a player, now as a 28 year old, and one game doesn't show a side that hasn't consistently been there before, at least to me.

Hes best off the bench. He hasn't earned the starting spot this year (again) and hes all out of leverage to complain and blame others for his play. Historically the team plays better with him out of the starting lineup it's time for him to embrace it.

Fully agree. I loved the move of him to the bench last year by Walton, and doing the same this year would be great for the team (and all of us who wan Halliburton to play every minute possible).

And this is the major issue with Buddy. If he was being paid 15 mil per year as a microwave scorer off the bench he would be awesome. its unfortunate that Vlade overpaid him.

Id love Hali starting, but until we upgrade Joseph its hard to make this switch. Buddy/Joseph would be awful to endure. Hali keeps the bench afloat.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,166

Post#23 » by Pelon chingon » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:Hes best off the bench. He hasn't earned the starting spot this year (again) and hes all out of leverage to complain and blame others for his play. Historically the team plays better with him out of the starting lineup it's time for him to embrace it.

Fully agree. I loved the move of him to the bench last year by Walton, and doing the same this year would be great for the team (and all of us who wan Halliburton to play every minute possible).

And this is the major issue with Buddy. If he was being paid 15 mil per year as a microwave scorer off the bench he would be awesome. its unfortunate that Vlade overpaid him.

Id love Hali starting, but until we upgrade Joseph its hard to make this switch. Buddy/Joseph would be awful to endure. Hali keeps the bench afloat.

Well Hali could slide to the 1 when Fox sits. We definitely need an upgrade over Joseph soon but not necessarily ASAP.
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#24 » by lordjeff05 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:21 am

I think Buddy is super underrated. He has been top 10 in 3s attempted the last three years with only Fox creating any easy shots for him.

He’s shot over 37 percent on off the dribble 3s for the part 3 years at a high clip making it really hard for teams to play drop coverage which will force w switch or hedge, creating opportunities for Zion On the short roll. In finishing units you could play him bi Hart Z and Adams and have enough spacing for BI to operate. Offensively he’s the ideal 3rd option for this team and plugs in pretty seemlessly. And although he’s short, he’s stout at 220 so he can fight on switches.

For all of the assets that it would take to get Beal, we can get Buddy for substantially less and likely get a player that fits and whose shot profile compliments the rest of the team.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#25 » by NYG » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:32 am

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/1/11/22224017/bradley-beal-james-harden-trade

There could also be a few teams flying under the radar who can put themselves in a superstar sweepstakes. This weekend, I asked 14 front office executives which teams come to mind as a sleeper for a blockbuster deal. Six of the executives responded with the Pelicans; three said the Heat; two said the Knicks; and the Mavericks, Nuggets, and Spurs each got one vote.

Just as FYI...
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#26 » by lordjeff05 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:31 pm

NYG wrote:https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/1/11/22224017/bradley-beal-james-harden-trade

There could also be a few teams flying under the radar who can put themselves in a superstar sweepstakes. This weekend, I asked 14 front office executives which teams come to mind as a sleeper for a blockbuster deal. Six of the executives responded with the Pelicans; three said the Heat; two said the Knicks; and the Mavericks, Nuggets, and Spurs each got one vote.

Just as FYI...

This is why I brought it up. I’m sure we are interested in Beal but assets required will be immense and Beal will have superstar expectations. Buddy can be cheaper asset wise and I think has a better shot of fitting in as a super third option.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#27 » by NYG » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:29 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
NYG wrote:https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/1/11/22224017/bradley-beal-james-harden-trade

Just as FYI...

This is why I brought it up. I’m sure we are interested in Beal but assets required will be immense and Beal will have superstar expectations. Buddy can be cheaper asset wise and I think has a better shot of fitting in as a super third option.

How many picks would you give to turn Bledsoe into Oladipo?
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#28 » by lordjeff05 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:36 am

NYG wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:

How many picks would you give to turn Bledsoe into Oladipo?

Yeah...I don’t think Dipo is what we need honestly. Part of my reason in wanting to get rid of Zo is his contract explores just like Vic’s and th expectation will be even higher for the next contract. Also I’m not sure if he’d be ok with the 3rd option role. It’s easier to see it with a guy like Buddy because he’s a shooter and doesn’t need to have the ball to create shots. Vic can shoot a little but he’s not a shooter.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#29 » by kb02 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:10 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:Pels send Lonzo JJ and an unprotected first to Sacramento for Buddy.

Pels need shooting and Buddy would EAT off of the looks he’d get from BI and Zion. Also trading Zo clarifies the roles of the starters. No more two point guard looks to start the game.

Sacramento gets a first, financial flexibility and short term bench help and depth. I think Lonzo and Jj have value still and something like a trade to Boston for their first makes sense but I didn’t want to complicate the deal.

This move would make the Pels even thinner which is a concern but hopefully they could move Melli, NAW and Hayes for more support.

DONE.

Return to Trades and Transactions