George Hill not happy about COVID protocols

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,283

Re: George Hill not happy about COVID protocols 

Post#101 » by Lunartic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:25 pm

If NBA players would just stop fist bumping after games we would have beaten Covid by now and we would return to normalcy
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#102 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:31 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:I'm kind of on Hill's side here.

Why. How about being a damn professional. Most grown men are professionals. That's just selfish statement IMO and I would have expected better from a 35 year old man. Moreso than a 20 something in the league. If he likes his job and likes what it provides and likes having something to do then he needs to follow protocols so he can keep doing his job and everyone else can. It's called responsibility and just because he might be fine doesn't mean some 60 year old trainer or whoever around the organization will.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
BigDocta898
Rookie
And1: 1,384

Post#103 » by BigDocta898 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:31 pm

Koyen wrote:
NY 567 wrote:Society in general has gone way to far with this Covid lunacy. This is a free country. Good for George Hill

And here is our daily example of why humanity is on a decline. Man... it's such a shame we as a human kind produce of a bunch of dumb morons :(

Exactly how many Americans have died due to covid?

So many selfish people
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,295

Post#104 » by Bornstellar » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:32 pm

No one is forcing you to play, Gerogie. If you don't like the protocols then opt out of the season
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#105 » by gorz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:37 pm

TRik wrote:
Fadeaway_Jumper wrote:I don’t think a single NBA Player has been seriously harmed by covid. At least the majority of those that did have it bounced back quickly and felt no impact at all. Kevin Durant had Covid, plus returned from a serious injury that sidelined him for a year and he looks just as good as ever.

If I was an NBA player I’d say screw it too. For the majority of people who actually exercise, and eat healthy Covid is a non factor. They should isolate the weak and let the rest of us go on with our lives

False and dangerous misinformation. COVID can be deadly for all ages groups regardless of health or exercise status. Attitudes like this contribute to the fast approaching half a million dead in the states from the virus.

Riiight so dangerous which is why Gavin Newsom , governor of California mandated the lockdown of his own citizens and enforced stricter covid measures limiting the gathering of even families meanwhile he was hosting fancy dinner parties with bunch of his rich beaucrat friends. No hypocrisy here. :roll:
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#106 » by NY 567 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:38 pm

Mikistan wrote:
NY 567 wrote:
Koyen wrote:
And here is our daily example of why humanity is on a decline. Man... it's such a shame we as a human kind produce of a bunch of dumb morons :(

Dumb morons allow themselves to be totally controlled by government.

Better to be controlled by qanon lies than government amiright guys don't tread of me

Yeah, because going about your life in a somewhat normal fashion must mean that you believe in qanon.

You guys have completely lost your minds at this point.
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#107 » by andrewww » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:40 pm

DrPampiloni wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:It's like people never heard of risk assessment before 2020. Everyday of your life before the media and government told you that you are capable of getting an individual sick people did so without a thought in their heads. Now the chances are slightly higher of doing so and we have all lost our collective minds. Every time you leave your house since the dawn of human history we've process the potential to do harm to out follow humans. It's unfortunate and will likely always be the case. We can't afford to just never interact with each other forever.

I hope you do not perform risk assessments for a living.

We perform risk assessments everyday as adults.

Waiting for the bus at the intersection is a risk. Driving is a risk. Heck even staying at home has its own risks.

A virus with a 99.99% survival rate across all ages with median age of death at 83 means you don't stop society because the immuno compromised or seniors that are 80+ where most of the deaths are coming from in retirement/long term care homes are the truly vulnerable ones.

Anyone with a strategic mindset as a skill can see locking up all the cows (healthy people) because the fox is killing all the chickens which is what most western countries have decided is the best strategy isn't going to work. In Ontario, the gov't could start with providing rapid PCR tests for LTC workers before they go in to work on site with all the vulnerable, that way you eliminate the source from the vulnerable and you would see a drastic decrease in overall deaths. That's a good starting point but instead they choose to blame the public for their all faults in neglecting LTC homes since the beginning of time. Blaming people for doing things that make us human. Its insanity in terms of the values our society promotes sometimes.

George Hill could have been more articulate in expressing himself, but fundamentally the added protocols (which were not run through the NBAPA if Im not mistaken) are full of hypocrisy and that is why is speaking out.

STRIKE. Read the covid rules or don't post about it. It's the same covid rant everytime. No one needs to hear this opinion echoed 100000x.
- jamaalstar21
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,113

Post#108 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:42 pm

Well maybe some of those guys don't love basketball that much.

Paid millions to play the sports they ''love'' and to stay with family the rest of the time while being tested 2 times/day is terrible ;(
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#109 » by andrewww » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:46 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
TRik wrote::nod:
Da ThRONe wrote:It's like people never heard of risk assessment before 2020. Everyday of your life before the media and government told you that you are capable of getting an individual sick people did so without a thought in their heads. Now the chances are slightly higher of doing so and we have all lost our collective minds. Every time you leave your house since the dawn of human history we've process the potential to do harm to out follow humans. It's unfortunate and will likely always be the case. We can't afford to just never interact with each other forever.

It’s not slightly higher. Good god the misinformation is frightening. In normal years, an average of about 8000 Americans die daily from regular causes.

The states are now averaging about 3500 daily deaths just from COVID.

It’s extremely simple for the rest of the world. Isolate and follow safe rules for a bit of time and save lots of lives. The collective selfishness of Americans is astounding.

“We can’t afford to not interact forever”

Well that’s fantastic, because once a vaccine is available you don’t have to! Hell, if you wouldn’t have been stupid in the first month or two of the virus it’s more than likely you wouldn’t have to be restricted as much anymore either.

No one is saying this is forever. It’s a temporary thing.

Ridiculous statement to make. No one knows if this is actually going to be "temporary".

They said "2 weeks to flatten the curve" originally in Ontario. We're going on almost 1 year now and we are NO better other than banking on a vaccine as the end game. In fact, we're worse off because we have neglected the problem areas (retirement homes) while piling on an unsustainable amount of debt as a society.

I have friends in the medical profession. There are a good number of them who insist the vaccine isnt going to magically make the virus go away and allow life to return to "normal". Viruses mutate, etc. There are many socioeconomic factors at play here. It is not that simple to "stay home and then we will return to normal faster". You are in for a rude awakening.

"Normal" may never return, it is NOT guaranteed.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#110 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:52 pm

andrewww wrote:
DrPampiloni wrote:

I hope you do not perform risk assessments for a living.

Waiting for the bus at the intersection is a risk. Driving is a risk. Heck even staying at home has its own risks.

A virus with a 99.99% survival rate across all ages with median age of death at 83 means you don't stop society because the immuno compromised or seniors that are 80+ where most of the deaths are coming from in retirement/long term care homes are the truly vulnerable ones.

Anyone with a strategic mindset as a skill can see locking up all the cows (healthy people) because the fox is killing all the chickens which is what most western countries have decided is the best strategy isn't going to work. In Ontario, the gov't could start with providing rapid PCR tests for LTC workers before they go in to work on site with all the vulnerable, that way you eliminate the source from the vulnerable and you would see a drastic decrease in overall deaths. That's a good starting point but instead they choose to blame the public for their all faults in neglecting LTC homes since the beginning of time. Blaming people for doing things that make us human. Its insanity in terms of the values our society promotes sometimes.

George Hill could have been more articulate in expressing himself, but fundamentally the added protocols (which were not run through the NBAPA if Im not mistaken) are full of hypocrisy and that is why is speaking out.

Meanwhile hospitals all over the nation are overwhelmed and in some places like LA they don't even bring the worst people they think are going to dy there and are caring for people in field hospitals and gift shops set up to put people and have multiple freezer trucks brought in for morgues in some hospitals for all the bodies they don't have room for. This is with RESTRICTIONS on things like bars or gyms, much less arenas open it's still this bad.

It was never really about the death rate, it was about everyone getting it at once and then not having doctors or space like we are seeing now to treat all the people that have to go to the hospital with this, and being able to get them and get them through it so the death rate would remain low like you pointed out.

Look at Italy where you had people dying in the street and with heart attacks and strokes and couldn't even get a doctor when everyone was just living lives like they wanted and didn't know it was there. It's insane people like you can't grasp this simple concept of why things have to be they way they are and why you can't open an arena or just say fk it. It's already a disaster with health care pushed to the brink with restrictions.

The user you are responding to has already been given a strike. Let's leave it at that. Everyone, please review the covid posting guidelines.
- jamaalstar21
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
packer396
Sophomore
And1: 150

Post#111 » by packer396 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:00 pm

This shouldn't be surprising coming from Hill. I swear I saw an interview 1-2 years ago where someone asked him how much basketball he watches outside of game film, and he said "none". I think he just has other interests in life and thinks of basketball as a job (which is totally his right).

He was pretty outspoken about not wanting to be in the bubble (and now it appears it wasn't just because of social justice reasons), and claimed the Bucks traded him because he "ruffled some feathers" when clearly they just needed to match salaries and he was more valuable than Ersan Ilyasova. I just think if your life revolves around the NBA aggressive protocols are 100% doable/worth it, but if you aren't that into it players (like Hill) will push back hard - which could make things difficult for the NBA
DrPampiloni
Junior
And1: 363

Post#112 » by DrPampiloni » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:05 pm

andrewww wrote:

The survival rate you state is wrong by a factor between 1 and 3 hundreds... Pretending this does not already void the rest of your reasoning, I will let you know that the mortality of a disease depends on the strain on the healthcare system. Doctors estimate that 1 case out of 5 requires hospitalisation, but if hospitals are full these people will get worse and require ICU, which again are even more saturated. So in a society where no "protocols" are enacted, the upper bound on the death rate becomes 20% not 1-3%.
The death-rate looks so acceptable to you precisely BECAUSE authorities are taking measures.

This does not mean I do not show sympathy for people wanting to live their life normally. I am also going nuts because I cannot play amateur ball and I have seen my family once in the last 12 months. But equating a fricking pandemic to the risks of everyday life is really a risk assessment skills disaster, hence my original point: do not make this a career path, please.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,150

Post#113 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:08 pm

andrewww wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
TRik wrote::nod:

It’s not slightly higher. Good god the misinformation is frightening. In normal years, an average of about 8000 Americans die daily from regular causes.

The states are now averaging about 3500 daily deaths just from COVID.

It’s extremely simple for the rest of the world. Isolate and follow safe rules for a bit of time and save lots of lives. The collective selfishness of Americans is astounding.

“We can’t afford to not interact forever”

Well that’s fantastic, because once a vaccine is available you don’t have to! Hell, if you wouldn’t have been stupid in the first month or two of the virus it’s more than likely you wouldn’t have to be restricted as much anymore either.

No one is saying this is forever. It’s a temporary thing.

Ridiculous statement to make. No one knows if this is actually going to be "temporary".

They said "2 weeks to flatten the curve" originally in Ontario. We're going on almost 1 year now and we are NO better other than banking on a vaccine as the end game. In fact, we're worse off because we have neglected the problem areas (retirement homes) while piling on an unsustainable amount of debt as a society.

I have friends in the medical profession. There are a good number of them who insist the vaccine isnt going to magically make the virus go away and allow life to return to "normal". Viruses mutate, etc. There are many socioeconomic factors at play here. It is not that simple to "stay home and then we will return to normal faster". You are in for a rude awakening.

"Normal" may never return, it is NOT guaranteed.

Normal will return. Viruses a lot more dangerous than COVID-19 have swept our planet and they’ve gone away enough to the point normalcy returned. They also didn’t have medical knowledge we have in the modern times.

“I have friends in the medicos profession” is cool and all, but I’m gonna side with the thousands of scientists whose job is to study this kind of stuff, not your nurse friends who think they run the hospital.

Ontario said “2 weeks to flatten the curve” and then proceeded to do half ass measures. You can literally look around the globe at places that followed stay at home orders and don’t complain about wearing a mask and see how much better they are doing with the numbers. The response by a lot of the western world was a joke and it was extremely obvious that the economy was put ahead of people lives at best and at worst you saw some people straight up disregard the restrictions and live life with little to no repercussions.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#114 » by durka » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:08 pm

gorz wrote:This covid thing is definitely getting out of control and I'm not talking about the transmission of the virus. Encouraging the reprimanding of players for breaking protocols which btw only validates the unconstitutional powers of federal govt, snitching on your fellow man to authorities for celebrating a family gathering without a mask. What is this the gestapo of nazi germany? Right now ppl still seem to be okay for the most part bc ppl are still optimistic that the pandemic will eventually go away but what if it doesnt go away for any foreseeable future. What if the narrative gets pushed by the media that the virus is constantly mutating and thus there is no feasible solution to cure the spread of virus in spite of vaccine inoculations. The possibility of another year goes by and not only are we are still wearing masks everywhere we go, secluded from our friends and families, prohibited from entering stores leaving the country w/o proof of vaccination, prohibited from working job unless vaccinated, all venues concerts and sporting events get cancelled.what then? Will the citizens of America and around the world continue to accept the new norm and still comply and abide by the rules from the govt or will they rise up and revolt? I think the average intelligent person can infer that we have been suckered and by that point it might be too late.

The problem with the world today is that people like you think they are the "average intelligent person" when you're literally the complete opposite of that. The average intelligent person is someone who listens to doctors and scientists who have to dedicated their lives to education in their fields. It's all a conspiracy though, right?
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,751

Post#115 » by Johnny Fontane » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:09 pm

He can bark from his perch all he wants. The rest of the league has a lot to lose
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,283

Post#116 » by Lunartic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:17 pm

"Shut up and wear the mask"
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#117 » by snoopdogg88 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:26 pm

He’s not wrong but the problem is it doesn’t resonate well with people who’ve been quarantining and not seeing family and friends without making $100,000 a night or whatever they make to play a basketball game.
It’s one of those situations where he’s pretty much right, but it’s still super tone deaf.

Then you have people like my FIL who will whine and complain about the players complaints and tell them to suck it up, while at the same time flying across country 5 separate times during lockdown and quarantine because he can’t bare to be away from his grandchildren and not seeing his kids for more than a couple weeks at a time, without a shred of self awareness or irony.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#118 » by JN61 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 pm

Break NBA protocol - don't get paid. You are grown man, retire if you want to.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#119 » by Mikistan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:37 pm

NY 567 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
NY 567 wrote:
Dumb morons allow themselves to be totally controlled by government.

Better to be controlled by qanon lies than government amiright guys don't tread of me

Yeah, because going about your life in a somewhat normal fashion must mean that you believe in qanon.

You guys have completely lost your minds at this point.

dig that hole and put your head in the sand down father

go tell KAT that his parents died from losing their minds
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#120 » by dlts20 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:38 pm

NYPiston wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:In general, it's just easier to like young players.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Man is that refreshing to hear. Who would have thought that the vets would be the irresponsible ones and the young players the sensible ones but here we are.

Easier not to care when you have already been paid alot and have lived the high life

Return to The General Board