George Hill not happy about COVID protocols

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Re: George Hill not happy about COVID protocols 

Post#121 » by G35 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:48 pm

It is all about your tolerance to risk, not just covid, not just yourself... but in the end it is all about risk...Hill has made a decision best for him.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,974

Post#122 » by Capn'O » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:48 pm

NBA probably needs to take a pause TBH.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#123 » by NY 567 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Mikistan wrote:
NY 567 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:Better to be controlled by qanon lies than government amiright guys don't tread of me

Yeah, because going about your life in a somewhat normal fashion must mean that you believe in qanon.

You guys have completely lost your minds at this point.

dig that hole and put your head in the sand down father

go tell KAT that his parents died from losing their minds

People die every day, and this started far before Covid. Not interested in giving up a free and open society because some risk exists, sorry. Self isolation will prevent exposure to the virus, anyone who is afraid of it can self isolate for as long as needed. It's been nearly a year, you guys really think people are going to do this another year, 2 years, 5 years, or longer? F out of here with that.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,333

Post#124 » by Mikistan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:02 pm

NY 567 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
NY 567 wrote:Yeah, because going about your life in a somewhat normal fashion must mean that you believe in qanon.

People die every day, and this started far before Covid. Not interested in giving up a free and open society because some risk exists, sorry. Self isolation will prevent exposure to the virus, anyone who is afraid of it can self isolate for as long as needed. It's been nearly a year, you guys really think people are going to do this another year, 2 years, 5 years, or longer? F out of here with that.

disgustingly selfish
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,474

Post#125 » by DaPessimist » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 pm

He can choose not to play if he doesn't like the protocols. I doubt he's willing to give up the money though.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#126 » by NY 567 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:08 pm

Mikistan wrote:
NY 567 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:dig that hole and put your head in the sand down father

disgustingly selfish

I don't really care what you think. Every time you walk by a homeless person and ignore him, every time you blow your paycheck on booze, a UFC fight, a PS5, whatever the hell else, instead of giving that money to St Jude, Starlight Childrens foundation, some other charitable organization, you're being selfish. So spare me with the moral grandstanding. Relinquishing a free society to government is not acceptable.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,333

Post#127 » by Mikistan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 pm

NY 567 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
NY 567 wrote:People die every day, and this started far before Covid. Not interested in giving up a free and open society because some risk exists, sorry. Self isolation will prevent exposure to the virus, anyone who is afraid of it can self isolate for as long as needed. It's been nearly a year, you guys really think people are going to do this another year, 2 years, 5 years, or longer? F out of here with that.

disgustingly selfish

I don't really care what you think. Every time you walk by a homeless person and ignore him, every time you blow your paycheck on booze, a UFC fight, a PS5, whatever the hell else, instead of giving that money to St Jude, Starlight Childrens foundation, some other charitable organization, you're being selfish. So spare me with the moral grandstanding. Relinquishing a free society to government is not acceptable.

Free to infect anyone you want with your selfishness
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#128 » by durka » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:18 pm

NY 567 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
NY 567 wrote:Yeah, because going about your life in a somewhat normal fashion must mean that you believe in qanon.

So it's normal for 10 people in one family to die with a span of weeks/months all of the same cause? I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if that was your mom/grandparents/aunt/uncle's all vanishing in a short period of time.

It's people like you pretending it's no big deal who make this thing last longer than it has too and asymptomaticly spreading it (or symptomaticlly depending on where you lie on the piece of **** spectrum) to others who are more at risk. You're the problem.
nowetdio45
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#129 » by nowetdio45 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:21 pm

NY 567 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

Oh the irony.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#130 » by VDT » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 pm

Each player has his own priorities. Hill is 34 and partially guaranteed for the next year. He has earned whatever money he is going to earn in the league and built whatever legacy he managed to build. As a result, being able to enjoy his life without having to follow the NBA protocol is more important than playing this year and getting fully paid. For other players that might be different as they might be trying to get a big contract or trying to win a title.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#131 » by SK21209 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:28 pm

I don't see how a week or two pause of the NBA would help anything. These guys are still getting tested everyday, I'm not sure how taking them out of that daily routine and the pseudo-quarantine that is spending the vast majority of their time with all of their teammates/coaches that are also being tested will somehow decrease the number of covid cases.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,447

Post#132 » by bisme37 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:32 pm

I see a lot of people liked Hill's comments but they just seem childish to me. He has every right to do whatever he wants.... but not in violation of league's rules. If he doesn't want to abide by the rules he should give up his pay and not take part in the season. Can't have it both ways.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#133 » by Da ThRONe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:41 pm

12footrim wrote:
andrewww wrote:
DrPampiloni wrote:
I hope you do not perform risk assessments for a living.

We perform risk assessments everyday as adults.

Waiting for the bus at the intersection is a risk. Driving is a risk. Heck even staying at home has its own risks.

A virus with a 99.99% survival rate across all ages with median age of death at 83 means you don't stop society because the immuno compromised or seniors that are 80+ where most of the deaths are coming from in retirement/long term care homes are the truly vulnerable ones.

Anyone with a strategic mindset as a skill can see locking up all the cows (healthy people) because the fox is killing all the chickens which is what most western countries have decided is the best strategy isn't going to work. In Ontario, the gov't could start with providing rapid PCR tests for LTC workers before they go in to work on site with all the vulnerable, that way you eliminate the source from the vulnerable and you would see a drastic decrease in overall deaths. That's a good starting point but instead they choose to blame the public for their all faults in neglecting LTC homes since the beginning of time. Blaming people for doing things that make us human. Its insanity in terms of the values our society promotes sometimes.

George Hill could have been more articulate in expressing himself, but fundamentally the added protocols (which were not run through the NBAPA if Im not mistaken) are full of hypocrisy and that is why is speaking out.

Meanwhile hospitals all over the nation are overwhelmed and in some places like LA they don't even bring the worst people they think are going to dy there and are caring for people in field hospitals and gift shops set up to put people and have multiple freezer trucks brought in for morgues in some hospitals for all the bodies they don't have room for. This is with RESTRICTIONS on things like bars or gyms, much less arenas open it's still this bad.

It was never really about the death rate, it was about everyone getting it at once and then not having doctors or space like we are seeing now to treat all the people that have to go to the hospital with this, and being able to get them and get them through it so the death rate would remain low like you pointed out.

Look at Italy where you had people dying in the street and with heart attacks and strokes and couldn't even get a doctor when everyone was just living lives like they wanted and didn't know it was there. It's insane people like you can't grasp this simple concept of why things have to be they way they are and why you can't open an arena or just say fk it. It's already a disaster with health care pushed to the brink with restrictions.

The user you are responding to has already been given a strike. Let's leave it at that. Everyone, please review the covid posting guidelines.
- jamaalstar21

In 2018 LA hospitals were overrun due to the seasonal flu. Which gets to my point.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,447

Post#134 » by bisme37 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:46 pm

I'm tripping out about how people think we shouldn't try to prevent people from dying from COVID because other people have died of other stuff. It's like saying we shouldn't take steps to be healthy and avoid heart attacks because some other guy died in car crash.
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,210

Post#135 » by Knicks Byke » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:47 pm

NBA went downhill after Silver removed the dress code.
sllubwoc
Sophomore
And1: 135

Post#136 » by sllubwoc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm

NY 567 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

Imagine your DT and REALGM is Twitter and the posters are Facebook and Youtube. That is where you stand right now. :lol:

I wish you luck and will enjoy it with a bowl of popcorn. Before you go through this, albeit most likely very short battle I want to send you off with some words of encouragement. There will be some that root for you on your quest, but instead of involving themselves they would rather send the goat into the lions cage to see what happens first. Good luck and may god have mercy on your soul. Oh **** here comes the Lion. Peace.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,080

Post#137 » by CIN-C-STAR » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 pm

All he said is if he wants to go see his family he will. Not like he said he's going to strip clubs maskless like some of these other guys.
I can understand his frustration. My understanding is players are basically not allowed to leave their homes, but their families they stay with can come and go as they please, which probably seems like pointless overreach to some.
I'm not saying I agree with him, but let the guy vent a bit. These are difficult times, even for these rich guys.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,115

Post#138 » by Edrees » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 pm

George Hill can just choose not to paritipcate in the season if he doesn't like the rules. Just say "Im taking this season off" nobody is forcing you to play. I also don't like it when I have to play basketball but I'm not allowed to take 5 steps. You don't see me going "I don't like the rules we've established, so why are we even playing" This season COVID rules are part of the NBA rules. If you don't like it, don't play. It's EASY. You already have millions of dollars so it's not like you can't have a good living if you sit out an entire season.

bisme37 wrote:I'm tripping out about how people think we shouldn't try to prevent people from dying from COVID because other people have died of other stuff. It's like saying we shouldn't take steps to be healthy and avoid heart attacks because some other guy died in car crash.

People die everyday, so I'm just going to go drunk driving. What I chose to do is my own freedom. :banghead: That's what these people sound like to me.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#139 » by celtics543 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:37 pm

If this was OJ Mayo complaining because the league told him that he couldn't do his drugs and still play in the league would people be defending him? It's a league rule and the players have to abide by it or collectively bargain to change the rules. You can't just decide you aren't going to abide by the rules and still be a part of the company. Clearly the union had to okay the rules. Doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with them but the majority do and feel they're necessary.

Even if the union president doesn't agree with what you're doing, they'll defend you during the appeal process for whatever rule you broke. In return you have to abide by the rules that the union has collectively bargained. George Hill is part of the union and he should back the rules they've negotiatied.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#140 » by dlts20 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:38 pm

VDT wrote:Each player has his own priorities. Hill is 34 and partially guaranteed for the next year. He has earned whatever money he is going to earn in the league and built whatever legacy he managed to build. As a result, being able to enjoy his life without having to follow the NBA protocol is more important than playing this year and getting fully paid. For other players that might be different as they might be trying to get a big contract or trying to win a title.

You guys keep saying that but I don't believe that's true. When they start giving that paycheck up, then I will believe it

Return to The General Board