2020-21 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

StepBackCrack
Starter
And1: 3,083

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#541 » by StepBackCrack » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:52 am

I watched every Nets game this season. KD been great on both ends. He is really fully back. It's pretty incredible. He certainly should be in the MVP discussion if he keeps this up.
MO12msu
Bench Warmer
And1: 655

Post#542 » by MO12msu » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:14 pm

Read on Twitter

This is actually a Draymond Green highlight.

Note how none of this would be logged in a conventional box score.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#543 » by yoyoboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Kyrie is such a strange dude man. He should honestly just retire if his heart really isn't in basketball anymore and I mean that in the best way possible.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#544 » by freethedevil » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 pm

StepBackCrack wrote:I watched every Nets game this season. KD been great on both ends. He is really fully back. It's pretty incredible. He certainly should be in the MVP discussion if he keeps this up.

Ah yes, KD should be "In the mvp discussion' for carrying the horribly outmatched nets to .500. :lol:

Its funny how th enets looked absolutely fine withotu kd and kyrie but now they're being "carried on both ends" to mediocrity.

i don't think anyone in nba history has benefitted from assists per game being treated like a legimitate measure of creation than Kevin durant.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#545 » by freethedevil » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:47 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:I dont wanna admit it but tbh Giannis with better coaching is prolly the best in the league other than playoff bron lol. Playoff AD the only guy I would really consider (and thats assuming last years the norm).

Warriors being 2-2 withotu draymond and then 4-2 with is pretty impressive btu I have no idea how much of that is curry and how much of that is just wiseman and wiggins getting better.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#546 » by freethedevil » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:55 pm

PaulieWal wrote:This Kyrie situation is just bizarre. I can't remember a time when a star player just decided to leave his team for no other reason other than that he doesn't feel like playing, and no one really knows what's going on. I do remember the time Derrick Rose went MIA for a game or two when he was on the Knicks but then was fined IIRC and was back to playing after 2 games.

This literally makes no sense as there are no issues with the team and Kyrie is finally playing with a superstar of his choice in a city he picked. If he's going to pull this crap here, he was never ever going to work in Cleveland or Boston (cities or players he didn't pick).

Losing your second best player for a fee regular season games shouldn't pose a serious issue for title-level rosters. Kyrie's antics are hilairously short-dighted, but the nets were a winnign basketball team before kyrie or kd came and they traded away a fringe all star for a superstar and added a bunch of useful rotation pieces AND saw some of their surrounding talent ascend in kyrie's absence. I really don't udnerstand how they're so bad now. Yes, rim protection is an issue, but that should only be an issue for the playoffs, they have the same paint personell surrounding durant and kyrie as kawhi and pg had and their defense was fine until the playoffs.

On paper this should be a better regular season team than last year's clippers
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,804

Post#547 » by Homer38 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:56 pm

yoyoboy wrote:Kyrie is such a strange dude man. He should honestly just retire if his heart really isn't in basketball anymore and I mean that in the best way possible.

He will not do that because he has around 100 millions left in his contract.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#548 » by parsnips33 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:33 pm

MO12msu wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is actually a Draymond Green highlight.

Note how none of this would be logged in a conventional box score.

He was putting on a CLINIC in the second half.

Was also extremely impressed by Myles Turner's defense, the guy was blowing up seemingly every other play. Pacers fans - is he really this good?
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#549 » by yoyoboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm

freethedevil wrote:
StepBackCrack wrote:I watched every Nets game this season. KD been great on both ends. He is really fully back. It's pretty incredible. He certainly should be in the MVP discussion if he keeps this up.

Ah yes, KD should be "In the mvp discussion' for carrying the horribly outmatched nets to .500. :lol:

Its funny how th enets looked absolutely fine withotu kd and kyrie but now they're being "carried on both ends" to mediocrity.

i don't think anyone in nba history has benefitted from assists per game being treated like a legimitate measure of creation than Kevin durant.

Durant is averaging 30/8/6 while shooting on 68% TS. He's posting a +14.7 on-court and a +18.1 on-off on the team that ranks 3rd in SRS (+6.47). All the while Kyrie's been missing games and causing drama and amidst Dinwiddie going down for the season. He's absolutely in the MVP discussion.
StepBackCrack
Starter
And1: 3,083

Post#550 » by StepBackCrack » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:09 pm

freethedevil wrote:

Utter nonsense. Your agenda against KD is obvious here. Can't take this seriously. He has been great for the Nets so far. You probably don't even watch the Nets. Nets' issues so far has been mainly because of the coaching and lack of defensive players (only Allen and KD were good/great on that end in most games) but now since Nash is making some changes and playing Bruce Brown, benching DJ, defense is getting better. Nets will be good eventually. They just need more time to figure out the best rotations.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#551 » by MisterHibachi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Harden with KD/Kyrie sounds like a terrifying offensive combo. But I think the Sixers possibility sounds scarier. If they can get Tucker too, that's an elite lineup, with Curry, Harden, x, Tucker and Embiid. Either way, one team in the East is ready to take that leap.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#552 » by freethedevil » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:15 pm

yoyoboy wrote:
freethedevil wrote:

Durant is averaging 30/8/6 while shooting on 68% TS. He's posting a +14.7 on-court and a +18.1 on-off on the team that ranks 3rd in SRS (+6.47). All the while Kyrie's been missing games and causing drama and amidst Dinwiddie going down for the season. He's absolutely in the MVP discussion.

The only thing that i see from 30/8/6 worth noting is 30 ppg on 68% TS. Amazing scoring no doubt...but absolutely no one has questioned Durant's ability to score in the regular season. Giannis is scoring alot too. He's also creating way more and playing vastly better defense.
Curry is scoring a lot --and--creating a ****. I suppose you could say defense for durant, but the nets suck defneisvely despite an elite collection of perimiter talent paying credence to whatthe clippers showed us last year and what we've historically seen. "Two way" players who can't really protect the rim are only "two way players" if the pieces around them are just right.

Davis isn't scoring a lot, but he's anchoring --the-- best defense in the league.

Do you know what all three of these players have in common? Theirr teasm have way better records, and no, I don't think thats because the team that has been solid without either kyrie or KD and played winning basketball without kyrie last year is some sort of dumpster fire without durant. I think its because KD lacks the versatility of a two way player like giannis, davis, or an offensive engine like curry or lebron. He has good shooting, an elite perimtier d and solid secondary playmaking. His team is not the issue here and it is inexcsuable for an mvp to be .500 with this sort of cast. Maybe if the nets go on a roll I'll change my mind, but ppg isn't going to cut it. There's no reason this team shouldn't be able to play like last year's clippers. None whatsoever. There's definitely no reason for them to have a comparable record to the warriors. and ther'e sno reason they should be miles behind the bucks, assumign durant is actually the best player this regualr season.

He's posting a +14.7 on-court and a +18.1 on-off on the team that ranks 3rd in SRS (+6.47).

On/off? Lebron destroyed Giannis in on/off last year. Guess what happened with impact metircs that adjust for lineups? Giannis was way higher. On/off is like using w/l it's not meant to be used fo rinduvdiual players.

As for srs? Kinda disinegnious to act like thats from when the nets only had kd.

Lets go over each of the nets blowouts(the things that make your srs go higher).
Game 1. Durant and kyrie destory a draymond less- warriors.
Game 2 Durant and kyrie destroy the celtics.

In both games, not only did kyrie play, he also outscored AND outassisted durant. We know kyrie is a better passer and we have his entirer wariors and okc career telling us that KD's point guards boost his box stats better than the reverse. Do you think kyrie was seemingly outscoring and outassisting him because of duran'ts "gravity?" Don't think so.

Blowout 3. A durant and Kyrie-less nets blowout the Jazz.

So is it accurate to say "KD is leading them to an srs of +6?" no. KD was arguably not even the best player on the floor for the first two blowouts and he wasn't even there for the third one.

This is what the mov has been for the nets with just KD:

a 6 point win over the nuggets.
a 13 point loss to the thunder
a 18 point loss to the hawks.
a 2 point loss to the hornets

In the situtation you're tring to give KD credit for "without kyrie or levert", the nets haven't even been a [b[negative srs team[/b]

SHould I be impressed that with good shooting and nice perimtier defendes durant is getting outscored? No, I don't think so. The nets have been "very good" when either A. KD had amazing help or B. KD wasn't even there.

Nothinig about this suggests that KD is playing like an MVP.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,709

Post#553 » by eminence » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Is Simmons on the table yet? Nets offer still doesn't look all that good to me.
I bought a boat.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#554 » by freethedevil » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:23 pm

StepBackCrack wrote:
freethedevil wrote:

Utter nonsense. Your agenda against KD is obvious here. Can't take this seriously. He has been great for the Nets so far.

So great:

In the situtation you're tring to give KD credit for "without kyrie or levert", the nets haven't even been a [b[negative srs team[/b]

Nah, your agenda for KD here is obvious. I think you just hate that its fairly obvious all these excuses you're making for durant like "not having enough defensive pieces" would go way if you replaced him with an --actual-- MVP like giannis. The nets have been awful without Kyrie. they were not awful last year without kyrie. They were actually pretty good. If KD' is worthy of an MVP how are the nets so awful when he doesn' thave his point guard outsocring and outassisting him?
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#555 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:38 pm

freethedevil wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:I dont wanna admit it but tbh Giannis with better coaching is prolly the best in the league other than playoff bron lol. Playoff AD the only guy I would really consider (and thats assuming last years the norm).

Warriors being 2-2 withotu draymond and then 4-2 with is pretty impressive btu I have no idea how much of that is curry and how much of that is just wiseman and wiggins getting better.

I mean after the horrible start they trended a bit up giving the ball to curyy rtg more among other things like general new team stuff, but draymond definitely helping though
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#556 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pm

eminence wrote:Is Simmons on the table yet? Nets offer still doesn't look all that good to me.

My man Simmons is the table
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,709

Post#557 » by eminence » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
eminence wrote:Is Simmons on the table yet? Nets offer still doesn't look all that good to me.

My man Simmons is the table

*Maxey

I kid, yeah, Simmons is the one for HOU I think.
I bought a boat.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#558 » by MisterHibachi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

I would prefer this over a picks package from Brooklyn, if I'm Houston. And it creates a scarier team than the Nets big 3 as well.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,606

Post#559 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:46 pm

NBA increasingly resembles a league ruled by mercenaries.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#560 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:48 pm

freethedevil wrote:
StepBackCrack wrote:
freethedevil wrote:Ah yes, KD should be "In the mvp discussion' for carrying the horribly outmatched nets to .500. :lol:

Utter nonsense. Your agenda against KD is obvious here. Can't take this seriously. He has been great for the Nets so far.

So great:

Nah, your agenda for KD here is obvious. I think you just hate that its fairly obvious all these excuses you're making for durant like "not having enough defensive pieces" would go way if you replaced him with an --actual-- MVP like giannis. The nets have been awful without Kyrie. they were not awful last year without kyrie. They were actually pretty good. If KD' is worthy of an MVP how are the nets so awful when he doesn' thave his point guard outsocring and outassisting him?

I’d say Durant isn’t getting to the rim as much, and idk if that’s by him taking it easy or by his post injury stuff

I haven’t watched closely enough but I’d assume his defense sucks now at least until playoff time

I’d say the nets have been a strong offensive team though, and KD has something to do with that for sure, even if the defenses they’ve faced have been pretty trash.

I’m pretty sure giannis on off was better than lebrons last year, and I wouldn’t expect KDs on off to be BBC easy because the team has shown they can function without him, it’s not gonna be a +talent situation cuz there’s overlap

I do agree that their record atm isn’t good enough for him to be in the mvp race, otoh, should be noted the team lost those games with him off the floor those games if that makes sense, and they are definitely a better team than the warriors even with a worse record

On AD, I’d agree last 5-6 games ADs been great but first 5 he was prolly one of the worst defenders in the team, but they’re hardly trying right now, and they’re doing an indiscriminate aggressive pick and roll coverage that requires more communication and awareness from all 5 players than last year where they dropped mostly, although them already being a top level defense even with weak offenses faced is a pretty good sign

Return to Player Comparisons