Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,055

Re: Around the NBA 11 

Post#441 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:26 pm

BigSlam wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Nuts the Raptors are 2-7

I know I was super down on the OG signing. Hit only 14/51 threes so far good for 27.5%. Surprising he is hitting nearly 41% of his attempts from the corner? If I am doing the math right he has 22 corner threes and made 9 of them? meaning he is shooting 5/29 on all other threes good for 17%. Yikes. Oh and all 14 threes he has made this year have been assisted.

Nothing like paying a guy 72 Million dollars to not be able to shoot off the dribble.

They’re a weird team and I can’t figure what they are.

They kinda seem a mismatch of players that are just a collective of average to below average players who are left over after a mass walk out of all the good to great players......which I guess is essentially what they are!!

It would annoy me how they would say they were such an amazing front office because they were a championship team without a single lottery pick on their roster.

They’ve had PLENTY of lottery picks - it just that very few of them panned out. So really, their front office is crap at drafting and just good at trades and signing FA’s.

I think they are paying the price for being a crap drafting front office. They don’t have any quality players on rookie contracts because they pushed all their chips in on a very, very small window by bringing in high priced pieces like Kawhi, Ibaka, Gasol etc.

Now they are left having to overpay for sub talent like OG.

I have this weird feeling... Did Slam and I just agree on something? Feels like a unicorn just popped its cherry under a double rainbow, unbelievable.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,542

Post#442 » by yosemiteben » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:04 pm

As someone who thinks Kyrie has MVP level talent and loves watching him play, he is an extremely frustrating player.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#443 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:12 pm

yosemiteben wrote:As someone who thinks Kyrie has MVP level talent and loves watching him play, he is an extremely frustrating player.

Or given the current climate, getting to watch him play...
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#444 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm

B B M F 'ers
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#445 » by euphorbus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:10 am

New Covid-19 protocols for the league:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-players-association-agree-to-new-covid-19-health-and-safety-protocols-203325650.html

I do not think they will work, though, because of community spread everywhere in the country. I expect a two or three-week shutdown by the end of this month.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#446 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm

This is a massive hypothetical, so go with me...

Let's say LaMelo continues his rookie play and then really improves during his 2nd year to a point where by the start of his year 3 he is a legit super star.

And let's say by the 3rd year of his contract with us (at the same time LaMelo is going into his 3rd year) Gordon is continuing to play at his current consistent rate (20/5/5 on great shooting).

Then we landed a third player, either by draft, FA signing or trade, who was a gun SG (think Thompson) or big (think Embiid).

Would a combination of LaMelo, Gordon and the mystery 3rd player give us a legit, NBA level "Big Three" that could compete with other NBA level Big Three's?
B B M F 'ers
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#447 » by James Gatz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 pm

BigSlam wrote:This is a massive hypothetical, so go with me...

Let's say LaMelo continues his rookie play and then really improves during his 2nd year to a point where by the start of his year 3 he is a legit super star.

And let's say by the 3rd year of his contract with us (at the same time LaMelo is going into his 3rd year) Gordon is continuing to play at his current consistent rate (20/5/5 on great shooting).

Then we landed a third player, either by draft, FA signing or trade, who was a gun SG (think Thompson) or big (think Embiid).

Would a combination of LaMelo, Gordon and the mystery 3rd player give us a legit, NBA level "Big Three" that could compete with other NBA level Big Three's?

Depends what you mean by compete. If the 3rd player was better than LaMelo or Hayward like Embiid than definitely. If the 3rd player was say Jure Holiday, than probably not.

I think the later team would still be a top 4 seed though.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#448 » by Chapelchilla » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:17 pm

I would also consider the fact that hopefully by 2 years from now PJ and Bridges and next years draft guys have further improved and that we have a really deep team of still young but now winning level talent already in place to add that star 2 or 5.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#449 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:18 pm

Of course. LaMelo and Gordon are so versatile so it will be easy to build around them moving forward as well. If you aren't excited about the possibilities as a Hornet fan right now then I am not sure what would get you excited....

Gordon has been the perfect signing so far. Consistent, a leader, helps run the offense and is taking the scoring load off Melo shoulders so he can play within himself and be a opportunistic scorer and not having to force offense out of necessity.
Big Board
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#450 » by Chapelchilla » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:20 pm

JMAC3 wrote:

Of course. LaMelo and Gordon are so versatile so it will be easy to build around them moving forward as well. If you aren't excited about the possibilities as a Hornet fan right now then I am not sure what would get you excited....

Gordon has been the perfect signing so far. Consistent, a leader, helps run the offense and is taking the scoring load off Melo shoulders so he can play within himself and be a opportunistic scorer and not having to force offense out of necessity.

Absolutely, I think that some people missed the fact that we were not just adding some random 30 year old dude on a big contract for the heckuva it. He was a great fit and raised the floor substantially.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#451 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 pm

James Gatz wrote:Depends what you mean by compete. If the 3rd player was better than LaMelo or Hayward like Embiid than definitely. If the 3rd player was say Jure Holiday, than probably not.

I think the later team would still be a top 4 seed though.

My feelings are that any team that has Jrue Holiday as a part of their Big Three isn't a league standard Big Three!!
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#452 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:34 pm

If you are looking at how we build from here..

I think we have some really good options and PJ Washington is also a big tool moving foward as well because like Ball and Hayward he is so versatile and can do so many things at an average-to-above average level. It is really hard to pinpoint just how good LaMelo can be at this point, so it is hard to say how good our third player would need to be.

I do know LaMelo on a point per minute basis in fantasy basketball he is a top 10 scorer. Meaning he gets pts, threes, assists, rebounds, steals, blocks at a near superstar rate and he is only 11 games in. And before you tell me this stat doesn't matter because it is used for fantasy basketball.. the players ahead of him are Jokic, Embiid, Curry, Greek Freak, Luka, KAT, Durant, LeBron and Harden.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#453 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:56 pm

JMAC3 wrote:If you are looking at how we build from here..

I think we have some really good options and PJ Washington is also a big tool moving foward as well because like Ball and Hayward he is so versatile and can do so many things at an average-to-above average level. It is really hard to pinpoint just how good LaMelo can be at this point, so it is hard to say how good our third player would need to be.

I do know LaMelo on a point per minute basis in fantasy basketball he is a top 10 scorer. Meaning he gets pts, threes, assists, rebounds, steals, blocks at a near superstar rate and he is only 11 games in. And before you tell me this stat doesn't matter because it is used for fantasy basketball.. the players ahead of him are Jokic, Embiid, Curry, Greek Freak, Luka, KAT, Durant, LeBron and Harden.

The crazy thing with this stat as well is his usage percentage is way lower than all these guys....

Jokic- 27.9%
Embiid- 30.5%
Curry- 31.9%
Giannis- 34.7%
Luka- 37.3% (absolutely nuts)
KAT- 27%
Durant- 31.6%
LeBron- 32.4%
Harden- 29.3 % (way down from last year)

LaMelo- 23.7% (good for a 55th rank).
Big Board
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#454 » by LofJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:03 pm

LaMelo doesn't needlessly dribble the ball. He makes really quick decisions, other than his fantastic effort level it's probably the thing I like most about him.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#455 » by SWedd523 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:58 pm

At some point the team will have to decide to keep either PJ or Miles

Neither one is looking like a consistent All Star so ideally you'd move on from both and keep rolling the dice until you find a better player.

Melo, Hayward, PJ (OR) Miles, Devonte (OR) Rozier, work from there. Replace as better options present themselves
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#456 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:11 pm

SWedd523 wrote:At some point the team will have to decide to keep either PJ or Miles

Neither one is looking like a consistent All Star so ideally you'd move on from both and keep rolling the dice until you find a better player.

Melo, Hayward, PJ (OR) Miles, Devonte (OR) Rozier, work from there. Replace as better options present themselves

I mean it all depends on the money. Just because a guy isn't a starter doesn't mean you can't retain him.

What are some good contract comps that you can make for these guys?
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#457 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:55 pm

Realistic Free Agent targets right now.. that I think would be nice fits.

Shooters
Duncan Robinson
Josh Hart
JJ Redick
Wayne Ellington
Svi Mykhailuk

Cheaper Big men
Richaun Holmes
Zach Collins
Nerlens Noel

Other
Talen Horton Tucker
Kris Dunn
Lonzo Ball :o
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#458 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Cavs snag Jarrett Allen? WTF?
Big Board
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,125

Post#459 » by Braggins » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm

Apparently the Pacers are swapping Oladipo for LeVert. I kind of like it for them. Dipo is the better player when healthy, but LeVert is good and I think the Pacers knew Dipo was bolting for Miami or somewhere the first chance he got, so this was a good way to get a nice return for him.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#460 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:32 pm

Read on Twitter

What is going on lol
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets