ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 49ers offseason

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

2021 49ers offseason 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:38 pm

Lot of free agents to decide on, whether to keep or let go.

Big salary cap decisions, with the cap expected to shrink. Such as decision on Ford.

Of course the draft too.
wco81
RealGM

Re: 2021 offseason 

Post#2 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:39 pm

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/144088-pff-mock-draft-49ers-trading-overall-pick-tagovailoa/

They better not trade for Tua. Low ceiling, small size, average arm, not athletic. I know he was comparing himself to Wilson but Tua doesn't have the arm or the athleticism or the playmaking ability of Wilson.

Mike Lombardi was really trash-talking Tua, about how lacking he was. Those elite Alabama WRs made him look good, not to mention the studs on the line and in the backfield.

Miami willing to trade him after his rookie year would be a big red flag.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Re: 2021 49ers offseason 

Post#3 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 am

Guys I would deem to be highest priorities:

Jason Verrett
Trent Williams
Emmanuel Moseley

Guys I think have a good chance of being brought back based on cost/importance ratio:

Jeff Wilson
Jordan Willis
Ben Garland
Kyle Juscyzk
Soloman Thomas
Ronald Blair
DJ Jones
Jamar Taylor
Marcell Harris
Josh Rosen

Guys I would like to bring back but will likely be priced out:

Kerry Hyder
KWaun Williams
Jordan Reed
Dion Jordan

Guys I don't think will or should be back for various reasons:

Richard Sherman
Jaquiski Tartt
Tevin Coleman
Kendrick Bourne
Jerrick McKinnon
Ahkello Witherspoon
Nick Mullens
CJ Beathard
Trent Taylor

Obviously price is the biggest determining factor in who to retain or not, and Frisco will not be able to keep all of the guys we would like to.

To free up some much needed cap space, I think they will restructure Garoppolo to lower his cap # this season and give him a chunk of guaranteed $ next season. I also think they do something with Richburg's deal, he's currently carrying the 4th biggest cap hit on the team.
wco81
RealGM

Post#4 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:12 am

Man with Kupp and I believe Lockett working out of the slot in this division, they really need Williams.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#5 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:04 pm

Hearing so many things regarding the 2021 salary cap, so much is unknown. In the fall, there was talk of keeping it flat at 198.6M and at the end of season presser, Lynch talked about them currently operating as if it's going to be a 175M cap, which was the floor number discussed back in the summer. If at 175, depending on top 51 salaries, the 49ers would be between 15-20M under the cap. Almost half the league would over the 175 salary cap, wide range there too. Couple teams would be just around 3M over, the rest between 15-90M over.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 pm

wco81 wrote:Man with Kupp and I believe Lockett working out of the slot in this division, they really need Williams.

Yeah, CB is a huge concern for this team. They currently only have 2 CB's contracted for next season, and both those guys are reserve/futures signees. Of those 2, Tim Harris Jr has played 0 career defensive snaps and Adonis Alexander has played 11 career defensive snaps (with Washington in 2018.)

So basically they have nothing at corner right now. That said, Moseley is a restricted free agent, so he will likely return.

I think that it will probably be an either/or type situation between Verrett and KWaun Williams. I think they will priortize Verrett, but its very possible he gets priced out of their range and they pivot to KWaun. Its also well within the realm of possibility both guys end up leaving for more money elsewhere.

CB has to be very high on draft board priority list, if not at the tippy top.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#7 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:36 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Hearing so many things regarding the 2021 salary cap, so much is unknown. In the fall, there was talk of keeping it flat at 198.6M and at the end of season presser, Lynch talked about them currently operating as if it's going to be a 175M cap, which was the floor number discussed back in the summer. If at 175, depending on top 51 salaries, the 49ers would be between 15-20M under the cap. Almost half the league would over the 175 salary cap, wide range there too. Couple teams would be just around 3M over, the rest between 15-90M over.

Yeah the talk about the cap situation is all over the board. Regardless of how it falls into place its going to effect all teams equally, (from a shear dollars standpoint), so I don't personally put much thought into it at this point in time.

One thing worth mentioning is there is definitely going to be a dearth of available $ in the market, so there will be some bargains to be had. It will also drive down the asking price for a lot of these free agents, which will probably help Frisco retain some guys.

The top shelf guys are going to get theirs, but I think we are going to see a lot more 1 year contracts than we normally do.
wco81
RealGM

Post#8 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:50 pm

thesack12 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Man with Kupp and I believe Lockett working out of the slot in this division, they really need Williams.

Yeah, CB is a huge concern for this team. They currently only have 2 CB's contracted for next season, and both those guys are reserve/futures signees. Of those 2, Tim Harris Jr has played 0 career defensive snaps and Adonis Alexander has played 11 career defensive snaps (with Washington in 2018.)

So basically they have nothing at corner right now. That said, Moseley is a restricted free agent, so he will likely return.

I think that it will probably be an either/or type situation between Verrett and KWaun Williams. I think they will priortize Verrett, but its very possible he gets priced out of their range and they pivot to KWaun. Its also well within the realm of possibility both guys end up leaving for more money elsewhere.

I saw a mock draft, Surtain at #12.

But what occurs first, the draft or free agency?
thesack12
RealGM

Post#9 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:24 pm

wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

I saw a mock draft, Surtain at #12.

But what occurs first, the draft or free agency?

Free agency starts March 17, Draft starts April 29.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#10 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:56 am

One thing to consider in terms of FA: others teams will also have guys they need to re-sign, and will be very strapped for cap space. I think we'll see a tremendous number of players end up on relatively inexpensive one-year deals. These guys won't want to sign long-term contracts this year when the cap is at best stagnant and likely dropping. Not many teams will be able to spend big in FA this year, so guys like Hyder and Reed might not be priced out.
wco81
RealGM

Post#11 » by wco81 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:17 pm

There seems to be some drumbeat about the 49ers trading for Watson.

OK, terrific young player but hard enough getting Jimmy to restructure to open up cap space and Watson just signed a huge contract.

49ers don't have the assets to trade for him, unless they want to mortgage the future.

Even then, I'm not sure Watson is a good fit for the 49ers. He makes a lot of his highlight plays outside the pocket -- sometimes he keeps a play alive too long and takes bad sacks -- which isn't what Kyle wants.

Do you need Watson's arm and playmaking abilities to throw bubble screens and jet sweep tosses (which count as forward's pass) to Deebo and Aiyuk?

49ers don't have a real big down field passing game other than off play action. They don't have a Julio Jones like Kyle had in their SB year.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#12 » by arich35 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 pm

wco81 wrote:There seems to be some drumbeat about the 49ers trading for Watson.

OK, terrific young player but hard enough getting Jimmy to restructure to open up cap space and Watson just signed a huge contract.

49ers don't have the assets to trade for him, unless they want to mortgage the future.

Even then, I'm not sure Watson is a good fit for the 49ers. He makes a lot of his highlight plays outside the pocket -- sometimes he keeps a play alive too long and takes bad sacks -- which isn't what Kyle wants.

Do you need Watson's arm and playmaking abilities to throw bubble screens and jet sweep tosses (which count as forward's pass) to Deebo and Aiyuk?

49ers don't have a real big down field passing game other than off play action. They don't have a Julio Jones like Kyle had in their SB year.

I thought I read Kyle was open to the idea of having a more mobile QB?

I think Aiyuk is a deep threat but we just didn't have the QB's to give him that chance this year and it isn't like the WR position is full at the moment. I would be all for Watson depending on the price but like you said it will probably be too much to make it worth it
thesack12
RealGM

Post#13 » by thesack12 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:48 pm

Would love to get Watson here, he was my #1 target in that 2017 draft.

That said, the price tag being bandied about is astronomical. I've heard 3 1sts + 3 2nds being the starting point, which is insane. That kind of price tag is far too rich for me personally.

We also need to keep in mind that Watson's cap hit is about to go north of $40 million.

Watson does have a no trade clause in his contract, so there is a chance that he only has 2 or 3 teams on his list of permissible destinations. With that short of a list the bidding war would obviously become a lot more manageable. Whether 49ers would be on that list is the question.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#14 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:57 pm

wco81 wrote:There seems to be some drumbeat about the 49ers trading for Watson.

The Niners haven't had a downfield passing attack under Shanahan because they haven't had a viable downfield passer. Garoppolo is probably the worst deep ball thrower in the league. Mullens is actually better at the deep ball, but that's more a sad commentary on Garoppolo than a positive for Mullens. And Beathard may have the strongest arm - again, that's pretty damn pathetic - but he's not exactly a good deep ball thrower. Between Kittle and Aiyuk, we've got adequate deep threats.

Of course, Shanahan is the guy who brought all those guys in at QB, so there's a strong argument that he doesn't really care about the deep ball.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#15 » by thesack12 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:46 am

Read on Twitter

Ryans has a lot of promise. Hopefully the learning curve for him moving up to the upper levels of coaching for the first time, won't be too steep.

With Saleh's departure 49ers will get a 3rd round draft pick this year & next year. That certainly helps. Although it will be several picks later than the one they gave up, it restocks the 3rd rounder they used for Trent Williams.

Fortunately for the team, Saleh didn't get hired away last year as there would have been no extra draft pick compensation for "developing" and losing him then.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#16 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:54 pm

I'm a bit torn on Ryans. Everything I know about him suggests that he's a really smart guy. Played in the league for a long time, and was the leader on the defensive side. That said, he's pretty young and relatively inexperienced in the coaching ranks. I hate the thought of losing a promising young coach, but I'm also a nervous about promoting a guy to a position that is several steps above his current one and installing him in a position he's never held in the league in a year when I'm still hoping we'll be SB contenders.
wco81
RealGM

Post#17 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Maybe he worked with Saleh in the game plans?

Or at least was able to watch how Saleh developed game plans?
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#18 » by Samurai » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:11 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I'm a bit torn on Ryans. Everything I know about him suggests that he's a really smart guy. Played in the league for a long time, and was the leader on the defensive side. That said, he's pretty young and relatively inexperienced in the coaching ranks. I hate the thought of losing a promising young coach, but I'm also a nervous about promoting a guy to a position that is several steps above his current one and installing him in a position he's never held in the league in a year when I'm still hoping we'll be SB contenders.

I would expect that Shanahan has seen/heard enough from the various assistant/position coaches to have an impression of them. And I wouldn't be surprised if Saleh had whispered in Shanny's ear about the defensive coaches that impressed him.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#19 » by GS Warriors 1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:36 pm

Ryans being the defensive coordinator has basically been set in motion for about a year, they knew it was just a matter of time before Saleh left to become a HC. Ryans was bound to become a DC sooner than later for possibly another team, so the timing was right for the Niners.

Big hire for the Jets, Saleh definitely seemed to be among the hottest names on the HC market, along with Arthur Smith, who just got hired by the Falcons. 4 first round picks over the next 2 draft plus a lot of salary cap space is a solid start.
wco81
RealGM

Post#20 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:17 pm

Will be interesting to see what they get out of those 3rd round picks.

Return to San Francisco 49ers