Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]"

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#61 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:17 pm

mademan wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
US's history of drug experimentation on african americans is pretty disgusting. The government doesnt have the trust of the african american community, and im not sure why they should. It's on the government to make the people believe theyre worthy of that trust

This is just so overstated. The tuskeege experiments are by and large the biggest example provided for this mistrust and while horrible, there is no argument that it should lead to the current backlash and mistrust. The drug experimentation argument is used to excuse ignorance.

The government literally worked on mind control, tested acid on unwilling subjects and did a litany of other horrible things relating to MK Ultra but we still dont let this normalize the QAnon idiots. Yet we allow this nonsense to normalize in black communities.

Thats just experimentation. You dont have to go that far back to see why there is distrust amongst the african american community for government medical services. The disparate treatment that black people get today is reason enough

Black people especially women are FAR more likely to die during various operations. The data is all out there.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Re: Haberstroh says "Good luck getting players/coaches fully on board with [vaccines]" 

Post#62 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:20 pm

mademan wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
Saints14 wrote:
I'm not anti-vax or anything and I'll be getting the vaccine myself, but I'm kind of ok with young healthy athletes deciding to take their chances with a virus that's shown to be highly unlikely to harm them vs a vaccine that certainly has some edge-case harms that weren't fully fleshed out given the expedited timeline

It's not about harm it's about transmission.

Maybe this vaccine is different, but vaccines arent supposed to stop transmission. Theyre supposed to prepare your body for the virus. You still catch the virus and can transmit it, but it's supposed to prepare your body to fight off the virus with minimal damage

When Pfizer or Moderna etc publish the efficacy numbers of 95% (for example) that is literally what that number means. It's how effective the vaccine is at preventing you from becoming infected.

What did you think that 95% referred to?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#63 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
I would think the NBA should really look at the data before promoting anything, especially any kind of medical procedure, where an actual side effect is death.

16,500 people die per year from ibuprofen. Over 30K people die every year from auto crashes. Medical error, primarily during surgery, kills 250K people per year.

Lets not let athletes take pain medication, not let them drive to games and if they suffer a catastrophic injury, dissuade them from medical surgery. Sure, their career will be over, but there is a chance they die during surgery.

Not taking the vaccine is nonsense. Any player who refuses to take it should be disqualified from playing until they do, and should not get paid.

I agree with your post and general point. But 250k deaths per year due to medical error seems really really high???
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#64 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:25 pm

Scoonie wrote:I'm sure that Kyrie will have some type of conspiracy theory against the COVID vaccines and will not be willing to get one.

He's not playing, so problem solved there.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#65 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:29 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
I would think the NBA should really look at the data before promoting anything, especially any kind of medical procedure, where an actual side effect is death.

16,500 people die per year from ibuprofen. Over 30K people die every year from auto crashes. Medical error, primarily during surgery, kills 250K people per year.

Lets not let athletes take pain medication, not let them drive to games and if they suffer a catastrophic injury, dissuade them from medical surgery. Sure, their career will be over, but there is a chance they die during surgery.

Not taking the vaccine is nonsense. Any player who refuses to take it should be disqualified from playing until they do, and should not get paid.

I agree with your post and general point. But 250k deaths per year due to medical error seems really really high???

Wait until you find out how many people die each year from medication taken correctly.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 26,894

Post#66 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 pm

bovice wrote::roll:
YogurtProducer wrote:Don’t get vaccinated = you don’t play or get paid

Seems simple to me

I don't think organizations can legally mandate the vaccine. like even hospitals can't force all employees to get it. they can incentivize it tho

Nba can do whatever the **** they want.

“Unvaccinated players put not only their teammates and opponents in danger, but the thousands of fans who attend every game. For this reason we are not allowing any player who refuses the COVID vaccination for other than medical purposes to participate in any game or team activities.”

I hope every employer does the same thing. We have to stop catering to the idiots of the world who don’t understand science.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,142

Post#67 » by Mickey8 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 pm

Seems simple to me

Yep , NBA should go full Nazi, that will teach the players :wink:
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,339

Post#68 » by SFour » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 pm

this isn't surprising at all....NBA players don't want the vaccine, they are athletes with strong immune systems...out of the many NBA players that have tested positive for covid how many have had severe symptoms or ended up in the hospital....I could probably count them on one hand.....actually I couldn't even name one or two.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,142

Post#69 » by Mickey8 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Scoonie wrote:I'm sure that Kyrie will have some type of conspiracy theory against the COVID vaccines and will not be willing to get one.

They should question it, its their bodies, they should not be an experiment mice's and rabbits.
TheHardenChoke
Junior
And1: 479

Post#70 » by TheHardenChoke » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:35 pm

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:I thought the NBA was supposed to be woke. Doesn't woke entail taking Covid seriously, i.e. getting vaccinated?

It includes taking covid seriously...of course.

Being woke also means using your brain and realising that vaccines take a good 10 years to develop to be safe.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,894

Post#71 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:44 pm

The NBA handles all of this so poorly compared to the other leagues. It might not be the league but the players fight everything on the table that involves them following rules.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,131

Post#72 » by lambchop » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:44 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

The issue is not really that they MIGHT die, it is that there are a plethora of other "minor" side effects, like impotence, bells palsy, cancer, perpetual headaches etc. that could not only derail a players career, but just make any human beings life significantly less enjoyable. If death were the only possible side effect, no one would complain, considering the very slight possibility.

Either way I think the government will eventually force everyone to get the jab or live with the amish community, so the nba has nothing to worry about
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,491

Post#73 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:46 pm

TheHardenChoke wrote:Being woke also means using your brain

LOL, good one.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,075

Re: Haberstroh says 

Post#74 » by art_tatum » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Kilroy wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
Kilroy wrote:My wife was just showing me the VAERS (https://vaers.hhs.gov/) numbers for the vaccine...
12 people died from the vaccine in December. Those are just the people who filed a complaint with VAERS... So only the people who died had a complaint filed. There were a lot more adverse reactions than that. One doctor described being saved by an Epi-pen...
The media has incorrect data according to the government.

Was the cause of death actually the vaccine, or did 12 people that took the vaccine die in December? Because if it's the former, misinformation like that is why this pandemic has been increasingly difficult to manage.

Why don't you be the judge... I didn't invent the website or the data... It's an actual Government org, set up to monitor/track vaccine effectiveness.

It's a mixed bag from what I can see, but then again, so is the lethality of COVID, but we're all told to react the same way....

The numbers are 12 deaths, 41 life threatening reactions without death, 3780 reactions that were non life threatening but with unknown long term effects.

Just info... Take it how you will...

Those are amazingly good vaccine numbers given that millions have gotten them.

It's noT good to just put this out there without context. Look at the flu vaccine.

Also say 100 people die directly from the vaccine, but you vaccinate over half of America. Youre saving thousands of lives a day.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,034

Post#75 » by Mavrelous » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm

No one can force he players take the vaccine, the league will have to go through the NBPA first and then court.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#76 » by Da ThRONe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:52 pm

Fadeaway_Jumper wrote:Crazy that individuals on are on board with forcing perfectly healthy people to take an experimental vaccine that was just made a few months ago, when most vaccines take almost a decade at the minimum at least to develop. On top of that the government provides legal immunity to vaccine companies, so you can’t sue if something goes wrong.

Kilroy posts real government info stats on the Vaccine and you have people attacking him because it’s “Dangerous”

If you’re scared or at risk, you take the vaccine. Leave people to make their own decisions.

And more importantly if you and yours are vaccined then all y'all are safe so why the need to force it on people who have some reservations.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,075

Re: Haberstroh says 

Post#77 » by art_tatum » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:54 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:
Kilroy wrote:My wife was just showing me the VAERS (https://vaers.hhs.gov/) numbers for the vaccine...
12 people died from the vaccine in December. Those are just the people who filed a complaint with VAERS... So only the people who died had a complaint filed. There were a lot more adverse reactions than that. One doctor described being saved by an Epi-pen...
The media has incorrect data according to the government.

Was the cause of death actually the vaccine or did 12 people that took the vaccine die in December? Because if it's the former, misinformation like that is why this pandemic has been increasingly difficult to manage.

Your point is valid, but it would be more reason not to take the vaccine. That the death numbers are highly exaggerated. Meanwhile the case numbers are way under reality. Meaning the death % is extremely minimal. Especially for anyone under 80.

Who says it's over reported? You feelings? Some media opinion guy? Over the hospitals that actually test and see people die?
Even if u cut the deaths in Half, that's over 1500 a day dying when they don't have to.
The vaccine is as safe as it can get. The technologies used, even the mrna version have been done before. Hell they make new flu vaccines every year that aren't "tested" long term, because strains can be different every year.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#78 » by Da ThRONe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:57 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

Seems simple to me

I don't think organizations can legally mandate the vaccine. like even hospitals can't force all employees to get it. they can incentivize it tho

“Unvaccinated players put not only their teammates and opponents in danger, but the thousands of fans who attend every game. For this reason we are not allowing any player who refuses the COVID vaccination for other than medical purposes to participate in any game or team activities.”

I hope every employer does the same thing. We have to stop catering to the idiots of the world who don’t understand science.

The arrogance to think that there is an all encompassing "science". Anyone that knows anything about science knows what we know is always changing and there is no all knowing science. That approach is more religious than scientific.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#79 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:57 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

Seems simple to me

Love this post. Science is hard and the average person is stupid. Nobody should be dying or suffering due to anyone else's limited intellect.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#80 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 pm

Mickey8 wrote:

They should question it, its their bodies, they should not be an experiment mice's and rabbits.

The animal experiments were early last year. Since then literally millions of humans have had the vaccine. It is incredibly ignorant to use the word 'experiment' in conjunction with the most tested vaccines in the history of vaccines.

A normal vaccine has a few thousand participants. Pfizer and Moderna each had 40K. The results have been more heavily scrutinized than any dataset in the history of science.

Return to The General Board