Official: Shams/Woj/Shelbourne: It's Brooklyn for the Beard

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Harden deal DONE - your take? (You can select multiple options)

Harden My Heart - Nets win. You get a chance at a transformative player, you take it. Any real damage is years off, if ever, and in the meantime you are a legit contender.
22%
Home Dipo - Rockets win. The love affair was over, and in exchange they got a *good* win-now player in Oladipo (albeit expiring), plus 4 picks and 4 swaps. That's a plenty good salvage under the circumstances.
15%
Allen Key - Cavaliers win. They picked up their C of the future for taking one extra year of Taurean Prince and giving up a lame pick.
35%
LeVerting to the Mean - Pacers win. Oladipo is talented, but they got a good younger (and *cheaper*) player to keep growing with their core.
22%
Driving a Harden Bargain - Nobody wins. Harden won't help the Nets win anything, both Houston and Cleveland screwed up by giving up value for players they will still have to sign, and a rising Pacers team just got worse.
6%

Total votes: 128

cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Re: Official: Shams/Woj/Shelbourne: It's Brooklyn for the Beard 

Post#81 » by cl2117 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 pm

Whaaaaaaaaat? Are all the pieces officially accounted for? Can we get a rundown posted in the OP?

Initial thoughts:

Whaaaaaaaaat?

Nets: Fair play. This could be Billy King 2.0 with Kyrie and a lesser extent Harden, plus Durant coming off the achilles (although he looks great). But it also could be Big 3 in Miami 2.0. Swing for those fences baby. I cannot wait to watch.

Rockets: I have questions. The swaps probably never convey. The Dipo part leaves me wondering because I don't think he should be re-signed, so I have to think he's moving later in the year too? I don't like them letting Allen go to Cavs. 8 picks seems like a ton, but overall I'm not feeling it. I think I still would rather Simmons based on how the Nets are lined up.

Cavs: Who cares about eating Prince when you get Allen at that price. Good job getting involved.

Pacers: Meh. I'm not a huge Dipo or Levert fan. I am fan of maintaining assets though and Levert has value and locked in longer than Vic. I'm ok with it.

Whaaaaaaat?
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#82 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 pm

CLE seems to have done well here assuming a big is on the move. Prince helps defense as well which was lost some when Exum projected out for 2 months a few games back
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#83 » by VDT » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:16 pm

Was Houston's only intention to screw Morey and the Sixers because that seems like the only explanation here. Essentially trade Harden for non lottery, likely late first round picks. They are going to be tanking while giving up their picks (unless 1-4) and getting the Nets picks instead. I have no idea what the rational is here.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Re: Official: Shams -- Dipo to Houston 

Post#84 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:NBA twitter liking this for the Pacers is beyond bizarre. I've been pretty clear that I'm not a Dipo guy, but LeVert just isn't that good. Only benefit is he is under contract, but ugh. Feels like Houston sniped value here.

don't ignore that Pacers get out of luxury tax with this move and the risk of losing Vic for nothing was real. I didn't vote in the poll because there was not a choice that everyone won.

trivia point - Nets drafted LeVert with a Pacer pick acquired for Thad Young.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
cl2117
General Manager

Post#85 » by cl2117 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 pm

Stillwater wrote:CLE seems to have done well here assuming a big is on the move. Prince helps defense as well which was lost some when Exum projected out for 2 months a few games back

Who do you think it'll be? Would you guys just cut bait with Drummond? Just move McGee? Could Nance be an option?

Thon and Yogi apparently waived to make space.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Official: Shams -- Dipo to Houston 

Post#86 » by loserX » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 pm

Wizop wrote: I didn't vote in the poll because there was not a choice that everyone won.

Just for the record, and in case others are curious, you can vote for more than option! If you think everyone won, you can still click the box for each of the four teams.
cl2117
General Manager

Post#87 » by cl2117 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 pm

VDT wrote:Was Houston's only intention to screw Morey and the Sixers because that seems like the only explanation here. Essentially trade Harden for non lottery, likely late first round picks. They are going to be tanking while giving up their picks (unless 1-4) and getting the Nets picks instead. I have no idea what the rational is here.

I have to assume they're banking on the Nets imploding via injury or Kyrie. That and **** Morey. Only 2 explanations.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#88 » by SD2042 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:20 pm

The Rockets get what they needed. Off Harden and his contract. Peace in the locker room for now. Future picks and pick swaps. Expiring contracts in Oladipo and Exum.

The Cavs got smart and reassess their future at the center position in Allen. Which means it's the end for Drummond via trade as his future tag will be an expense the Cavs are not looking to blow their bag on.

The Nets gain Harden and roll the dice on their new big three. The big thing is Kyrie. Will he be receiving of Harden as the new Net incoming? Plus will Kyrie get back mentally and commit to the Nets going forward or will Kyrie be subject to a future trade?

The Pacers kinda surprise me on trading Oladipo here. My guess is that he's value is going back up and is playing well again that he's pricing himself out of the Pacers range. Thus him no longer a Pacer. LaVert goes to the team that originally drafted him in the first place. He gives the Pacers a secondary playmaker and gets to play in the starting lineup full time now. Will he stay healthy and continue to be reliable for the Pacers will be the question.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#89 » by gswhoops » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm

Is the consensus here that Houston is gonna just let Dipo walk? Or am I totally misreading this thread
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#90 » by SD2042 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 pm

gswhoops wrote:Is the consensus here that Houston is gonna just let Dipo walk? Or am I totally misreading this thread

That depends on Oladipo and what will happen with the Rockets moving forward. Right now, that's a big unknown.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#91 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 pm

Stillwater wrote:CLE seems to have done well here assuming a big is on the move. Prince helps defense as well which was lost some when Exum projected out for 2 months a few games back

Prince is not going to help anyone's defense.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#92 » by Slava » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Does Marks honestly think this is Miami era big 3 to go with such a barren roster and no way to upgrade?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Slava » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Does Marks honestly think this is Miami era big 3 to go with such a barren roster and no way to upgrade?

Double post.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#94 » by nolang1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm

VDT wrote:Was Houston's only intention to screw Morey and the Sixers because that seems like the only explanation here. Essentially trade Harden for non lottery, likely late first round picks. They are going to be tanking while giving up their picks (unless 1-4) and getting the Nets picks instead. I have no idea what the rational is here.

Oladipo isn't nothing and the picks are coming on the downside of Harden's, Durant's and Irving's (who might not even be playing for much longer) careers. If the Sixers weren't offering more than Simmons or Simmons + Thybulle, it's defensible to not want to put all your eggs in the Simmons basket and prefer all those picks and swaps; it's not like Simmons would be guaranteed to lead the Rockets to the playoffs in the coming years.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#95 » by NYG » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:27 pm

I'm not in love with some of the value here, but I get where each team was coming from...

Houston: Harden was done there and you can't create a better offer than the best one out there even if it's lower than what you wanted. It has a bit of an addition by subtraction feel to it.

Cleveland: Adding to their young core with a pick that probably will represent a NBA player less talented than Jarrett Allen is and will be.

Brooklyn: They had to do this with it on the table and figure out the locker room later.

Indiana: Perhaps a downgrade on talent, but they have a longer term reasonably paid replacement for Oladipo now.

The winner here is OKC I think. That Rockets team could easily result in a lottery pick and OKC owns the first two picks in 2021 out of Miami/OKC/Houston
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#96 » by Coxy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:28 pm

Read on Twitter
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#97 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:28 pm

gswhoops wrote:Is the consensus here that Houston is gonna just let Dipo walk? Or am I totally misreading this thread

They can't now, and Dipo (and his agent) know it. So they'll have buku money tied up in Wall, and now Dipo who from a medical standpoint has the more long-term worrisome injury.

They'll need continued health from those 2 as they enter their sunset - Wall faster than Dipo most likely due to skillset - so hopefully they construct the rest of the roster well. The Wood signing definitely a huge plus in that regard
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by Slava » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:34 pm

Im about 90% certain the Nets will look to trade Kylie now.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#99 » by VDT » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:34 pm

nolang1 wrote:

Oladipo isn't nothing and the picks are coming on the downside of Harden's, Durant's and Irving's (who might not even be playing for much longer) careers. If the Sixers weren't offering more than Simmons or Simmons + Thybulle, it's defensible to not want to put all your eggs in the Simmons basket and prefer all those picks and swaps; it's not like Simmons would be guaranteed to lead the Rockets to the playoffs in the coming years.

The Nets are playing in NY and have a competent FO. It is almost impossible that they will hand lottery picks when they have no incentive to tank, even when Durant and Harden have retired. They were a playoff team with middling players like Russell, Allen, Levert etc which are not hard to find at all. The Rockets are basically going to tank but only get late firsts, unless their own picks land 1-4. But they screwed Morey so it might be worth it to their owner.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,899

Post#100 » by K_chile22 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 pm

FNQ wrote:

They can't now, and Dipo (and his agent) know it. So they'll have buku money tied up in Wall, and now Dipo who from a medical standpoint has the more long-term worrisome injury.

They'll need continued health from those 2 as they enter their sunset - Wall faster than Dipo most likely due to skillset - so hopefully they construct the rest of the roster well. The Wood signing definitely a huge plus in that regard
They absolutely can let him walk lol the picks were the package he was a sweetener
It's not like the usual situation where the Tema who traded for the expiring guy is a contending team with no way to replace him. I doubt they wanted levert long term to begin with

Return to Trades and Transactions