ImageImageImageImageImage

The Raptors Have Lost Toronto

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

The Raptors Have Lost Toronto 

Post#1 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:37 pm

In a literal sense since they are playing in Tampa Bay right now, but more importantly in the sports landscape within the GTA.

When Masai took over the Raptors the Leafs were a listless franchise just entering a rebuild, the Blue Jays were a decidedly aimless team who were two seasons away from a short burst of success and TFC was a model in mismanagement. The stability of Masai despite the lack of real playoff success allowed them to build a real following with Toronto sports fans and really Canada as a whole. By the championship season the Raptors had a stranglehold on the sports landscape. They were the toast of the entire country.

You look now and without a doubt the Raptors are at the bottom of the list in terms of sports excitement. The Leafs have had their struggles, but have a star core and have made a fundamental shift towards contention and are playing at home in Toronto in the North division which is going to do massive numbers across Canada.

The Blue Jays have blue chippers all over the roster and are going to make a big splash in free agency/trade. This is coming off a playoff berth last season which was ahead of schedule.

TFC has been the best franchise in the city for basically 5 years and have hired a new manager. Their youth ranks are full of promising Canadians and they have money to spend on a name DP.

All 3 of these teams have bore the fruit of a proper organizational mandate to rebuild and they will be successful for years to come. It's time for the Tampa Bay Raptors to see the light and embrace what has worked for everyone else in the city. Doubling down for a first round exit will only accelerate the decline in visibility and importance in the sports landscape.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,194

Re: The Raptors Have Lost Toronto 

Post#2 » by NBJ13 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:40 pm

Interesting take that i don't agree with at all
tradejosehesux
Starter
And1: 3,858

Post#3 » by tradejosehesux » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:41 pm

Love my Raps, but for the first time in many years I’ll be more invested in this competitive Leafs squad. The all-Canadian division will be especially fun to watch.
joseph227
Senior
And1: 1,588

Post#4 » by joseph227 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:42 pm

Lol leafs.
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#5 » by Inevitable » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:42 pm

Interesting take from someone who lives in BC.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#6 » by MixxSRC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 pm

Maybe. It's hard for me to see that because I literally do not give a single flying f about other teams. But maybe it's true. Oh well
blastttOFF
General Manager
And1: 8,803

Post#7 » by blastttOFF » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 pm

Yeah it’s more exciting than Blue Jays headlines of ‘being interested’ in players like Springer, Lindor and Kris Bryant while ending up that their biggest move is to extend Shapiro by 5 more years.
t54zhao
Junior
And1: 580

Post#8 » by t54zhao » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:44 pm

This is a very hot take. Raptors won the championship 2 seasons ago. The Leafs still haven't proven anything. You excoriate the Raptors for losing early on in the playoffs but what have these Leafs done? Lose to the Capitals, Choke to Boston in 7 two times in a row and lose in the wild-card game to Columbus.

As for the rest, we'll see.

The reason why you're writing this: to encourage support for a rebuild is fine, but this take itself is kinda ****.
My challenge to the Vaccine truthers, make a prediction and sig it.
Mine: In 2023, rates of heart attacks & strokes amongst vaccinated people, never infected with COVID will be similar (+-5%) when compared to people of same age in 2018.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:44 pm

NBJ13 wrote:Interesting take that i don't agree with at all

What don't you agree with? It's one thing if the Raptors started off strong, but a terrible start, being in Tampa and likely dealing the consensus GOAT in Raptors history is going to be a huge blow to visibility and excitement surrounding the franchise.

I didn't even mention that Masai seems very reluctant to even commit to the team.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Grew
Rookie
And1: 1,757

Post#10 » by Grew » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:44 pm

If you're a real Raps fan like me, you don't care about any other sports team on the planet in the slightest. Kidding but not really :P
James Takote
Senior
And1: 1,067

Post#11 » by James Takote » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:45 pm

Any evidence to prove Raptors have lost Toronto?

Sent from my IN2025 using RealGM mobile app
You've still got to have some fun, even if you lose... Come on, it's basketball. Yeah, we wanted to win, but you know, I want to laugh, too. - Gregg Pop
G_Misconduct
Senior
And1: 947

Post#12 » by G_Misconduct » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:45 pm

Same story every year - leafs fans start planning the parade a week before the season starts, they win for a few weeks and then fall off a cliff

I don't think there's any more or less hype for the laffs this year than any other year. Casuals might hop off the Raps bandwagon to a degree but this is still Toronto's team, don't get it twisted
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,212

Post#13 » by rapstarter » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:45 pm

Sports have lost Toronto (and every city in the world)
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,718

Post#14 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 pm

deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#15 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 pm

As a seasons ticket holder who has lived through the dark times, I thoroughly disagree. Everyone in this town is down for the tank. I often talk Raps with the cashier at the local grocery store I shop at daily, and he just concurred.

It's no different than your typical strike year. Except we still get to watch promising young players develop on TV.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 pm

blastttOFF wrote:Yeah it’s more exciting than Blue Jays headlines of ‘being interested’ in players like Springer, Lindor and Kris Bryant while ending up that their biggest move is to extend Shapiro by 5 more years.

The entire market in baseball is slower than an iceberg. The young talent on the team is undeniable and exciting. Look at how alive the city was when they tasted success in 2015 and 2016.

They re-upped Shapiro who crafted this core while Masai is refusing an extension. That's actually a good thing.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#17 » by Raptors Realtor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:49 pm

YoungD23
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#18 » by YoungD23 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 pm

PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,142
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#19 » by PRESTIGE » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:51 pm

Raptors just won the championship a couple of seasons ago.We’ve been a winning team for nearly a decade. Contrast that with the Jays championships decades back that the younger generation no longer remembers, or the leafs last championship in prehistoric times that only senior citizens witnessed.

Even if this is the end of an era, the Raptors remain the most successful team in recent memory.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,819

Post#20 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:52 pm

Didn't read a single word.
Conclusion: Stop making threads.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:

Return to Toronto Raptors