Ainge misses out on another superstar, overrated GM

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Ainge misses out on another superstar, overrated GM 

Post#1 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:37 pm

At some point, Ainge needs to be called out for his lack of action to acquire a premiere all star. He has missed out on PG, KL, AD, Harden, CP3, Im running out of fingers to keep it counting.

Ainge problem is he is too emotionally attached to this assets, sometimes you just need to let it go in order to go for the ring. Right now, they are capped out as a ECF round team not having enough stars to move on.

He will be a case study on missed opportunities by a GM.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,799

Re: Ainge misses out on another superstar, overrated GM 

Post#2 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:39 pm

Just wait for the "Ainge was close to pulling the trigger but wanted to keep Taco" lol.
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,181

Post#3 » by Bologna Smasher » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 pm

I think he tries too much to "get one over" on his trade partners. Seems like a lot of the GMS don't want to deal with him anymore.

Reminds me of a few years ago, there was an agreed upon trade with the Suns where Amare Stoudemire would've been traded to a mystery team. The GM of the receiving team didn't plan on keeping Amare, but thought they could flip him for a better package. The GM accidentally called the Suns GM and told them the plan and asked what they would be willing to offer for Stoudemire. So he basically called the team and told them he was ripping them off. The rumor at the time was that it was Ainge who agreed to trade Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo for him. I think the incident made a lot of other teams weary to trade with him. It's pretty funny, though.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#4 » by StojkoVrankovic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 pm

Pharmcat wrote:At some point, Ainge needs to be called out for his lack of action to acquire a premiere all star. He has missed out on PG, KL, AD, Harden, CP3, Im running out of fingers to keep it counting.

Ainge problem is he is too emotionally attached to this assets, sometimes you just need to let it go in order to go for the ring. Right now, they are capped out as a ECF round team not having enough stars to move on.

Stop trying so hard

We have Tatum/Brown locked up long term and are currently one of the best teams in the east without our allstar PG.

But sure, we could have traded Brown for someone who doesn't want to play here. Sounds like a great GM
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#5 » by jirrit » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 pm

lol I knew I was missing some kinda thread but here they are

Yawn.
LAvision
Sixth Man
And1: 4,236

Post#6 » by LAvision » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 pm

I'm just waiting for the PR tweet, oops, I mean insider scoop on how close they were.
Andrew_M08
Rookie
And1: 2,801

Post#7 » by Andrew_M08 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 pm

Tatum + Brown + Smart > Tatum + Harden, especially when you factor in things like team chemistry
Lenneth
Rookie
And1: 1,782

Post#8 » by Lenneth » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 pm

Is Ainge exposed now too?
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#9 » by celtics543 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 pm

I guess you can say Ainge missed out on another superstar but so did every other team in the NBA. I think you'd find most Celtics fans weren't in favor of trading for Harden. We're more than happy with Tatum/Brown as the leaders of the team for the next decade.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that this may work for the Nets but with the price they paid it has to almost guarantee a title and I don't think it does. Kudos to them for going all in and giving it a go but I'm glad Ainge didn't move Jaylen Brown and all of our draft picks for James Harden.

Say I'm wearing green goggles but I don't think the Nets are the best team in the East. They'll put up huge offensive numbers but they can't guard anyone.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,030

Post#10 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 pm

Tatum and Brown are still young, why do people want to rush for a trade when they are fresh off the ECFs?
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#11 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 pm

Thank god he didn't. They missed out on KD because he chose the Warriors like a sissy. Not their fault.

I wouldn't want to bring Harden anywhere near Tatum. After the way he played to start the season, this guy is a cancer. Let him Kyrie and Durant wallow together. Can't wait for the first thing to go wrong.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#12 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 pm

Would you give up brown and other assets along with 4 firsts and four swaps for me strip club in the pandemic? He did aquire three stars. He signed last year's starting all star pg whom you forget as he is in a strengthen program with short turn around. He also drafted two stars in Tatum and brown and signed them long term. Poor attempt at a thread to bash Celtics.

What has your team done lately?

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#13 » by Phreak50 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 pm

Ainge has made a number of mistakes, being greedy and missing out on trades.

Keeping Tatum and Brown is not one of them.

And hell, I'd decline a Kemba for Harden swap at this stage. Who in their right mind wants a locker room and off court cancer in their squad?
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,811

Post#14 » by Homer38 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:52 pm

Ainge would not have made the trade for Kevin Garnett in 2007 if Paul Pierce would not have put pressure on Ainge to make the trade.

I don't blame Ainge for not making the trade for Harden but in other situations, Ainge has often overestimated his assets a little too much.
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,095

Post#15 » by Johnny Tomala » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:54 pm

The ownership isn't putting championship pressure on Ainge so he's happy to stay put. This Celtics team is not a title contender, but ownership is happy with just making the playoffs.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#16 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:54 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Ainge has made a number of mistakes, being greedy and missing out on trades.

Keeping Tatum and Brown is not one of them.

And hell, I'd decline a Kemba for Harden swap at this stage. Who in their right mind wants a locker room and off court cancer in their squad?

I mean I have been critical of the guy for not adding bench help and missing on late first rounders but I can’t think of a trade he should have made. Trades for Leonard and Butler would have cost one of Brown/Tatum and we watched both leave the following season.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#17 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:55 pm

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:At some point, Ainge needs to be called out for his lack of action to acquire a premiere all star. He has missed out on PG, KL, AD, Harden, CP3, Im running out of fingers to keep it counting.

Stop trying so hard

We have Tatum/Brown locked up long term and are currently one of the best teams in the east without our allstar PG.

But sure, we could have traded Brown for someone who doesn't want to play here. Sounds like a great GM

People completely ignore the fact Brown and Tatum are averaging 55 points a game so far in 10 games. :D I'm happy Danny stayed away from Harden. The guy I really wanted was Davis, but he didn't wanna be here, so it is what it was.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#18 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:55 pm

Congrats to Celts fans, yall just got the Pharm bump. Multiple titles on their way! :D

Spoiler:
kidding of course, just razzing bc of the Steph thread
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#19 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:57 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Thank god he didn't. They missed out on KD because he chose the Warriors like a sissy. Not their fault.

I wouldn't want to bring Harden anywhere near Tatum. After the way he played to start the season, this guy is a cancer. Let him Kyrie and Durant wallow together. Can't wait for the first thing to go wrong.

Common sense. Not only that, Brown and Tatum have both been elite, literally. Both ~27 pts a game, both good defenders. I agree on Durant, but that's his choice. Durant could've joined Boston 2 years ago as I do believe Danny could've cleared a tad more cap and sign him. I wanted Davis, but as I wrote in my previous post- it is what it was. Davis didn't wanna be in Boston, neither does Harden, imo.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#20 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:59 pm

No one thought CP3 would regain his form or stay healthy, you can’t single him out for this. AD made it clear he wanted nothing to do with Boston either. You’re grading at straws here, why don’t throw shade at Philly for not moving Simmons for Harden, Leonard, or AD?

Return to The General Board