Ainge misses out on another superstar, overrated GM

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,220

Re: Ainge misses out on another superstar, overrated GM 

Post#21 » by reload141 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:59 pm

Pharmcat wrote:At some point, Ainge needs to be called out for his lack of action to acquire a premiere all star. He has missed out on PG, KL, AD, Harden, CP3, Im running out of fingers to keep it counting.

Ainge problem is he is too emotionally attached to this assets, sometimes you just need to let it go in order to go for the ring. Right now, they are capped out as a ECF round team not having enough stars to move on.

He will be a case study on missed opportunities by a GM.

Kind of disappointed how long it took for you to post this.

You need to lift your game
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,147

Post#22 » by itrsteve » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:01 am

What an idiot for keeping Tatum and Brown and the rights to all draft picks from 2021-2030

THE NERVE ON THAT GUY
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,098

Post#23 » by Statlanta » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:03 am

I don't blame Ainge because I don't think the Celtics are a Harden away.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#24 » by Vae Victus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:04 am

Ainge's real screwup isn't desperately holding to Brown/Tatum for a superstar trade. It's in not trading their peripheral pieces + "war chest of picks" for a 3rd and 4th star. He tried and failed with headcase Kyrie, hey **** happens, but its ok, at least he took a risk and it didnt cost them much in the great scheme of things (unless you want to count player reputation). Ever since that trade, Ainge just seemed gunshy in trading for useful players if all it would take is parting with some of the "war chest of picks" and packaging the non Brown/Tatum contracts for upgrades. Gordon Hayward was extreme bad luck, and swapping Horford for Kemba seemed so pointless (im not a big fan of midget gunner) and now theyre saddled with Kemba's max deal and bum knee.

Now the clock has run out on BOS best championship window. Brown and Tatum are now properly paid and no longer on dirt cheap rookie deals. Their vaunted "war chest" rotted away on the BOS bench and never really helped the team at all. Whereas if Ainge had traded them earlier, while they still had their shiny "maybe that pick will be worth alot" magic bean glow.

Ainge messed up big time in roster construction and he got hit with extreme bad luck in Hayward's leg, Kemba's knee, and Kyrie being truly insane. Brown/Tatum/Smart are a good trio of players, that'll keep the team competitive, but the lack of adding another high impact star to that core will handicap the team from acheiving its highest potential.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#25 » by SMTBSI » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:05 am

What a transparently opportunistic thread. HOU basically got Oladipo and 8 1sts. No way on earth we were ever going to pay that price. If that's the price, we didn't "miss out", we were never in it, and I'm very glad.

Let alone considering the different situations, with our core being young and BRK's being prime-time. This was a much saner gamble for BRK than it would have been for us.

I know any anti-Ainge post is an instant and-1 factory, but this is lazy even as that goes.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#26 » by SMTBSI » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:08 am

Vae Victus wrote:Ainge's real screwup isn't desperately holding to Brown/Tatum for a superstar trade. It's in not trading their peripheral pieces + "war chest of picks" for a 3rd and 4th star.

Aside from Kyrie, when was there ever a scenario where we could acquire a star without giving up Brown or Tatum (or the picks that became them)? There wasn't to my knowledge. Everyone always wanted one of those two. And, rightfully so, obviously. But what you imply here, that we missed out on stars because we wouldn't trade lesser assets, is not true.

The one and only time it happened was with Kyrie, and we got him. Even though it went south for other reasons, that in itself torpedoes the narrative that Ainge won't pull the trigger.

And heck, seems pretty clear to me we would be better off if Ainge had "overvalued his guys" a little bit more, and not even made that trade. I'd take Sexton, or whoever else we would have gone for at #8, on this team right now.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,137

Post#27 » by DarkAzcura » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 am

Phreak50 wrote:Ainge has made a number of mistakes, being greedy and missing out on trades.

Keeping Tatum and Brown is not one of them.

And hell, I'd decline a Kemba for Harden swap at this stage. Who in their right mind wants a locker room and off court cancer in their squad?

Just a bit of a contradictory statement at this point, through no fault of your own or anything to be honest. The Celtics have been rumored in a ton of trades over the years, so it is easy to make that assumption with your first point; however, if in the end keeping Tatum and Brown was the smart thing to do, then the first point about being greedy is no longer true. Most of the rumored trades over the last 3-4 years were about trading one or both of the 2016 and 2017 BKN picks which eventually turned into Brown and Tatum. Then when actually drafted there were a ton of rumors about trading one or both of those players for ready to win now stars, which would had been a huge mistake in retrospect.

In the end, Ainge has continuously been proven right.

At this point, my issue with him will be if they do not use the TPE for some actual, useful veteran players. Then I'll be mad.

Vae Victus wrote:Ainge's real screwup isn't desperately holding to Brown/Tatum for a superstar trade. It's in not trading their peripheral pieces + "war chest of picks" for a 3rd and 4th star.

This was never a thing, though. Almost every rumored traded the Celtics were involved in for a 3rd star or any star really involved one or both of Tatum/Brown. Then we had to deal with people on this forum telling us that the Celtics were greedy for not wanting to trade them.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,387

Post#28 » by Big J » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:19 am

I get the feeling that Celts fans would rather lose with "their guys" than win a chip with Harden.
TheHardenChoke
Junior
And1: 479

Post#29 » by TheHardenChoke » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:23 am

Its weird how Ainge triggers people so much.

First of all..SMART move not getting disease Harden.

AD he also had ZERO shot at because LeBron was already slurping him.

KL was ONLY going to LA....We knew that when he was still at Spurs.

CP3 meh

Playoff P....PASS

What a HORRIBLE list of examples.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,076

Post#30 » by art_tatum » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 am

Tor_Raps wrote:Just wait for the "Ainge was close to pulling the trigger but wanted to keep Taco" lol.

Why have taco Tuesdays when you can have taco everyday
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#31 » by cl2117 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:25 am

Breaking news: "Poster with long history of being wrong, continues to be wrong". More at 11.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#32 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:26 am

Harden is fat and moody. Few Celtics fans wanted him on the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,412

Post#33 » by username_taken » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:28 am

This trade was a perfect time for people to say “look Daryl Morey didn’t want to trade TYRESE MAXEY for James Harden lol” in the same disingenuous manner they critique Ainge for holding onto his young guys in rumored deals that don’t materialize, and here people are crapping on Ainge again. Just silly.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,898

Post#34 » by HMFFL » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:30 am

Ainge sticking to what he's built isn't a problem considering it's unknown what he would of had to give up to acquire James Harden. The exact package.

What was even reported today is that it came down to two teams that interested Harden. Philly and Brooklyn. Brooklyn being the #1 destination. If anything, OP, have an issue with Philadelphia not making a better attempt.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#35 » by Dupp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:38 am

AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,478

Post#36 » by AussieCeltic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:39 am

I’ve said it 1000 times and I’ll say it again. He may have missed AD/Kawhi but they would have only stayed a year. You can be damn sure he would’ve pulled the trigger on AD if he was going to stay in Boston.

I’m happy he didn’t trade Brown for Harden or PG.

His main issue is getting depth but he’s had to deal with injuries to Hayward and Kemba for the last 3-4 years.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#37 » by Warriorfan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:43 am

Check the standings Celtics are young and seem ok.
denmuscles
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#38 » by denmuscles » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:49 am

Man, its sad that other sports teams fans worry about what Boston Celtics GM will and will not do.

This proves how much Celtics are elite and probably a tie btw Lakers when it comes to popularity contest.

We have Tatum/Brown.

We DONT need Harden.

Thank you
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#39 » by DroseReturnChi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:53 am

this is ainge in nutshell. outsmarts himself he couldnt pull trigger bc of some random 2nd rounder.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,543

Post#40 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:00 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:this is ainge in nutshell. outsmarts himself he couldnt pull trigger bc of some random 2nd rounder.

Go Bulls!

Return to The General Board