ImageImageImage

Weaver spending all our cap

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Weaver spending all our cap 

Post#1 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 pm

Today has been a great example of why spending all our cap this off-season was a foolish move.

At some point, teams will always look to shed salaries by giving away talent.

We weren’t in position to take advantage, because we had to fill out the roster with vets and use up every last penny of cap space.

Rebuilding teams

1) sell vets for picks, or
2) sell vets for expirings, or
3) sell vets for younger assets with “potential”
4) try to accumulate future picks
5) try to clear their cap ASAP
6) play the kids
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Re: Weaver spending all our cap 

Post#2 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm

Yeah, Detroit could have easily been in the same current situation in terms of on the court product without capping themselves out for 2 seasons. Let alone having 5 years of stretched cap hits on the books.

A rebuilding team with cap flexibility and possession of all their draft picks, is obviously better than a capped out rebuilding team who owes picks to other teams.

We can only hope that Blake opts out this summer.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#3 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:05 pm

Sure, cavs took on Allen and Prince for nothing.

Is Jarret Allen a solid starter deserving of a big contract? Next year is the QO or big contract.

Prince is making $13 million next year.

Not sure if it was good or not. I would want picks and all the picks went to the Rockets. The Rockets made out like CRAZY bandits. I mean if Durant gets injured again ( like Klay) or Kyrie goes on a spiritual journey, those could be lottery picks.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#4 » by Billl » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:24 pm

Did the cavs give up a first rounder?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#5 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 pm

Billl wrote:Did the cavs give up a first rounder?

I believe so, still trying to figure out all the details.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#6 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:32 pm

I thought Cavs only gave up a 2nd rounder
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#7 » by vege » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:40 pm

Cavs gave up the Milwaukee 1st, which will be a very late 1st.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#8 » by flow » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 pm

vege wrote:Cavs gave up the Milwaukee 1st, which will be a very late 1st.

Probably. But they're a Giannis injury away from being a lottery team. And it's in 2022, which will be a very strong draft. Unlikely as it may be, the Cavs could live to rue this move.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#9 » by vege » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:54 pm

flow wrote:
vege wrote:Cavs gave up the Milwaukee 1st, which will be a very late 1st.

Probably. But they're a Giannis injury away from being a lottery team. And it's in 2022, which will be a very strong draft. Unlikely as it may be, the Cavs could live to rue this move.

Middleton/Jrue/Lopez are still good players, I don't think they would be in the lottery even without Giannis. I am not sure if that pick has protections either.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:01 am

I agree that spending the cap space was a bad idea, but this trade doesn’t look like anything I’d have particularly wanted to be involved in.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#11 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:09 am

Snakebites wrote:I agree that spending the cap space was a bad idea, but this trade doesn’t look like anything I’d have particularly wanted to be involved in.

Agreed - how the Cavs took on Prince’s two year contract AND didn’t get a pick for that is beyond me. I see the giving up the Milwaukee pick for Allen, but they were hosed on the Prince part.

The Rockets made out like bandits. Four picks and four pick swaps? Wow.

And Brooklyn? Who’s playing center? Jordan is pretty washed, and their back up center is now Jeff Green? Starting in about three years, those picks are going to be gold.......

As for the Pistons, maybe this prompts Blake to want a buyout so he can play small ball center for Brooklyn. One can only hope. Otherwise, Dedmon could land there. At least we have a stake in a good team that way....
mrroboto4889
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#12 » by mrroboto4889 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:47 pm

Had we not signed Grant and Plumlee, we could probably trade for Drummond
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#13 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:34 pm

mrroboto4889 wrote:Had we not signed Grant and Plumlee, we could probably trade for Drummond

Gross :lol:
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#14 » by Invictus88 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:50 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I agree that spending the cap space was a bad idea, but this trade doesn’t look like anything I’d have particularly wanted to be involved in.

Agreed - how the Cavs took on Prince’s two year contract AND didn’t get a pick for that is beyond me. I see the giving up the Milwaukee pick for Allen, but they were hosed on the Prince part.

And Brooklyn? Who’s playing center? Jordan is pretty washed, and their back up center is now Jeff Green? Starting in about three years, those picks are going to be gold.......

As for the Pistons, maybe this prompts Blake to want a buyout so he can play small ball center for Brooklyn. One can only hope. Otherwise, Dedmon could land there. At least we have a stake in a good team that way....

I honestly don't see Blake turning down a ton of money to do this unfortunately. And now more than ever I don't see us being able to trade him away for any positive value.

He looks like a walking corpse out there; glued to the floor. He can no longer get off shots efficiently down low because after backing people down he can't jump when finishing. He front rims almost every outside shot because he can't get any elevation from his legs. On defense he's basically a post; not even making it all the way up and down the court at times.

I think it would take a colossally stupid GM who completely ignores scouting and game film to have any chance of offloading him. SVG isn't a GM anymore and Ernie Grunfeld is no longer in the league.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#15 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:

I honestly don't see Blake turning down a ton of money to do this unfortunately. And now more than ever I don't see us being able to trade him away for any positive value.

He looks like a walking corpse out there; glued to the floor. He can no longer get off shots efficiently down low because after backing people down he can't jump when finishing. He front rims almost every outside shot because he can't get any elevation from his legs. On defense he's basically a post; not even making it all the way up and down the court at times.

I think it would take a colossally stupid GM who completely ignores scouting and game film to have any chance of offloading him. SVG isn't a GM anymore and Ernie Grunfeld is no longer in the league.

Yeah, where’s Rob Henigan when you need him? SVG owned him and the Magic during his time, I miss those days.

The Blake thing is becoming sad. I have nothing but props for what he did in 18-19, he was just awesome. But watching him now is awful. I do think he’d look better as a center, but we have six of them on the payroll already lol.

Return to Detroit Pistons