2020-21 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,678

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#581 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:28 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I don't think the Nets can trade Kyrie even if they want to. As soon as he starts hearing his name in trades, he'll quit again and make himself even more toxic. And that's assuming there's any other team foolish enough to want Kyrie in the first place.

Fear that's the most probable outcome. Foresee some big ego clashes with these 3. Only person I feel bad for is Nash.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,477

Post#582 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:35 pm

Ugh, the Nets now have the unholy trinity of least likable human beings in the NBA.

But I'll say this: With Durant & Harden, they don't even need to be able to rely on Kyrie.

Previously I saw the team as one that might be able to hit high highs, but was unlikely to be able to maintain it through a regular and post-season.

Now things just got a hell of a lot easier, and it's not hard at all to see them contending for titles this year and going forward.

We'll see how they all mesh, and I still consider the Lakers to be the favorites if they're healthy, but it won't be a shock at all if the Nets get to the finals, and then we'll just see who's actually suited up for the opposition.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#583 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:37 pm

eminence wrote:I get going for it, but Kyrie is probably the hardest to evaluate player in the NBA in terms of value range, could be tough to bring much back.

I honestly don't understand why any team would trade for Kyrie right now. He chose to go to Brooklyn, so it's delusional to think that the Nets context is the problem. If the Nets are looking to trade him because he won't show up for them, there's absolutely zero reason to think he'll show up for you.

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#584 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:50 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Ugh, the Nets now have the unholy trinity of least likable human beings in the NBA.

But I'll say this: With Durant & Harden, they don't even need to be able to rely on Kyrie.

Previously I saw the team as one that might be able to hit high highs, but was unlikely to be able to maintain it through a regular and post-season.

Now things just got a hell of a lot easier, and it's not hard at all to see them contending for titles this year and going forward.

We'll see how they all mesh, and I still consider the Lakers to be the favorites if they're healthy, but it won't be a shock at all if the Nets get to the finals, and then we'll just see who's actually suited up for the opposition.

The three least likeable human beings in the nba is kinda funny lol
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#585 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:00 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
eminence wrote:I get going for it, but Kyrie is probably the hardest to evaluate player in the NBA in terms of value range, could be tough to bring much back.

I honestly don't understand why any team would trade for Kyrie right now. He chose to go to Brooklyn, so it's delusional to think that the Nets context is the problem. If the Nets are looking to trade him because he won't show up for them, there's absolutely zero reason to think he'll show up for you.

Never mind the Nets. He couldn't even be happy when he was winning a title and going to the Finals every year in Cleveland. There is no magical team context that will make Kyrie stop being who he is.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#586 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:28 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Never mind the Nets. He couldn't even be happy when he was winning a title and going to the Finals every year in Cleveland. There is no magical team context that will make Kyrie stop being who he is.

He’s buddies with KD and Harden though whereas he always resented LeBron.

Not saying “so therefore everything will be fine” because Kyrie had already been f-big things up with KD, but there’s reason to think the Nets are the best case scenario for Kyrie to behave himself, so if he can’t do it there, no other team should even consider him an option if they are remotely wise.

Stephen A suggested Kyrie should retire and for once he’s on to something. If Kyrie can’t stay happy in Brooklyn he should do his version of Maya Moore - that is focus on activism, which in his case of course would mean just posting on social media instead of actually helping the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#587 » by bondom34 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:42 pm

I'll own if I'm way off on this, and I may well be. But I still don't see that team as any favorite, and now they have to play DJ even more.

I actually like it for the Cavs a ton.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,736

Post#588 » by GSP » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 pm

bondom34 wrote:I'll own if I'm way off on this, and I may well be. But I still don't see that team as any favorite, and now they have to play DJ even more.

Deandre is gonna have like 10ft of space for open lobs now but hes still gonna mess it up somehow :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly they shouldve kept Jarrett no matter. They have to deal Kyrie now IMO. Kd/Harden/Harris is already arguably the best offensive trio in the league
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#589 » by parsnips33 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 pm

If you're Milwaukee, would you rather draw Miami or Brooklyn in the playoffs? Philly?
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,678

Post#590 » by Peregrine01 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:05 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

He’s buddies with KD and Harden though whereas he always resented LeBron.

Not saying “so therefore everything will be fine” because Kyrie had already been f-big things up with KD, but there’s reason to think the Nets are the best case scenario for Kyrie to behave himself, so if he can’t do it there, no other team should even consider him an option if they are remotely wise.

Stephen A suggested Kyrie should retire and for once he’s on to something. If Kyrie can’t stay happy in Brooklyn he should do his version of Maya Moore - that is focus on activism, which in his case of course would mean just posting on social media instead of actually helping the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought it was pretty clear he wanted out of Bron's shadow and wanted his own team. Now he's the third option on the team that he chose to go to playing with a better but even more ball-dominant dribble-happy superstar. It's not too hard to see him feel marginalized in such a situation and later, disgruntled again.

I think you nailed his "social activism" on the head though.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#591 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:58 am

Kyrie "marginalizes" himself by thinking he's so much better than he really is.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#592 » by bondom34 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:03 am

parsnips33 wrote:If you're Milwaukee, would you rather draw Miami or Brooklyn in the playoffs? Philly?

Actually think I'd rather Brooklyn of the 3, they'd be hard to guard but don't know if they can stop you. Miami still gives them some of the same problems I'd imagine, Philly I'm high on but kind of in a wait and see mode at the moment.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#593 » by Dupp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:05 am

So players can just pick where they wanna go now and that team doesn’t even need a decent asset. What the rockets get? Dipo and a pick 30 for 4 years... yuck

Kd and harden will be nice. Dunno how Kyrie fits. To quote the goat, fit in or fit out.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#594 » by MyUniBroDavis » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:56 am

bondom34 wrote:I'll own if I'm way off on this, and I may well be. But I still don't see that team as any favorite, and now they have to play DJ even more.

I mean DAJ isn’t unplayable bad outside of certain matchups, but they’re def gonna go small in the playoffs a lot

I agree defensively there’s gonna be a lot of problems, But offensively it really might be better than the warrior squads even
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#595 » by bondom34 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:

I mean DAJ isn’t unplayable bad outside of certain matchups, but they’re def gonna go small in the playoffs a lot

I agree defensively there’s gonna be a lot of problems, But offensively it really might be better than the warrior squads even

True, but IDK how much Durant would be able to guard bigs, and they're pretty thin at this point. I was and still am a bit skeptical of the injury return guys, but those Warriors teams could defend too and right now I'm not sure they have a single player above average for their position defensively.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#596 » by MyUniBroDavis » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:13 am

bondom34 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:

True, but IDK how much Durant would be able to guard bigs, and they're pretty thin at this point. I was and still am a bit skeptical of the injury return guys, but those Warriors teams could defend too and right now I'm not sure they have a single player above average for their position defensively.

I def agree defense is gonna be interesting for them, but as bad as they’ll be on defense they’ll be so unstoppable on offense I can’t see them losing to anyone other than the lakers/clippers/bucks

It’s gonna come down to coaching, we don’t really know anything about how Nash is as a coach and we won’t till the playoffs hit. If it’s similar to D antoni in the rockets I don’t think that’ll be enough since we saw him get horribly outcoached

At the end of the day I think the top four most talented teams are the lakers/bucks/nets/clippers, I could be swayed either way in the bucks or the nets for second. Otoh, budenholzer is the worst playoff coach in that grip by a long shot, Vogel prolly the best, I’d assume lue second

I def still think the lakers have the edge, the bucks a need budenholzer getting his **** together, the clippers are just too much of a meme, and the nets are still unknowns now. I don’t think the lakers are gonna dominate nearly as much as last year though, esp since the nets and the clippers make it hard to play harrell and especially marc

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#597 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:13 am

Dupp wrote:So players can just pick where they wanna go now and that team doesn’t even need a decent asset. What the rockets get? Dipo and a pick 30 for 4 years... yuck

Kd and harden will be nice. Dunno how Kyrie fits. To quote the goat, fit in or fit out.

A lot changes in 4 years. These are players who can leave at a moments notice, not to mention 2/3 of them are injury prone, and 2/3 of them are in their 30s already. 4 unprotected picks is certainly "decent".

Who were you expecting the Rockets to get, Zion Williamson?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#598 » by bondom34 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:22 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:

I def agree defense is gonna be interesting for them, but as bad as they’ll be on defense they’ll be so unstoppable on offense I can’t see them losing to anyone other than the lakers/clippers/bucks

It’s gonna come down to coaching, we don’t really know anything about how Nash is as a coach and we won’t till the playoffs hit. If it’s similar to D antoni in the rockets I don’t think that’ll be enough since we saw him get horribly outcoached

At the end of the day I think the top four most talented teams are the lakers/bucks/nets/clippers, I could be swayed either way in the bucks or the nets for second. Otoh, budenholzer is the worst playoff coach in that grip by a long shot, Vogel prolly the best, I’d assume lue second

I def still think the lakers have the edge, the bucks a need budenholzer getting his **** together, the clippers are just too much of a meme, and the nets are still unknowns now. I don’t think the lakers are gonna dominate nearly as much as last year though, esp since the nets and the clippers make it hard to play harrell and especially marc

I've been in on the Clippers winning it this year, so far am standing by it. But think the Lakers/Bucks are in that tier for me too. Honestly right now I'd take Philly over Brooklyn still and am going to wait and see, still putting them w/ Boston/Miami/unknown 3rd seed in the west at the moment.

I've had a lot of questions about how Harden fits in wherever he ends up and of all the teams the Nets might raise the most questions. Its why I wasn't overly high on his trade value personally and didn't know where he'd end up. Also they're with limited assets now, but mostly just no idea how this works yet so they're in that kind of uncertain group.

Which is weird for a team that just entirely went all in like this, but I don't see them today as a serious title contender (again, today).
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#599 » by MyUniBroDavis » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:27 am

bondom34 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
bondom34 wrote:True, but IDK how much Durant would be able to guard bigs, and they're pretty thin at this point. I was and still am a bit skeptical of the injury return guys, but those Warriors teams could defend too and right now I'm not sure they have a single player above average for their position defensively.

I've been in on the Clippers winning it this year, so far am standing by it. But think the Lakers/Bucks are in that tier for me too. Honestly right now I'd take Philly over Brooklyn still and am going to wait and see, still putting them w/ Boston/Miami/unknown 3rd seed in the west at the moment.

I've had a lot of questions about how Harden fits in wherever he ends up and of all the teams the Nets might raise the most questions. Its why I wasn't overly high on his trade value personally and didn't know where he'd end up. Also they're with limited assets now, but mostly just no idea how this works yet so they're in that kind of uncertain group.

Which is weird for a team that just entirely went all in like this, but I don't see them today as a serious title contender (again, today).

That’s fair, and there are definitely questions this team has to answer

With philly after seeing what doc did last year it’s just kinda hard to have faith ina. Doc rivers team lol

I think if harden isn’t willing to move off ball like he wasn’t in the rockets hat makes the nets waaay less Cary, if he does I’d think he would be a portable guy though

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#600 » by bondom34 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:

That’s fair, and there are definitely questions this team has to answer

With philly after seeing what doc did last year it’s just kinda hard to have faith ina. Doc rivers team lol

I think if harden isn’t willing to move off ball like he wasn’t in the rockets hat makes the nets waaay less Cary, if he does I’d think he would be a portable guy though

Yeah that's sort of the biggie for me. He's had this set of circumstances for 7 or so years now? And now the offense won't focus only him, the only time he's had that was sort of with CP (and then really CP was the one who gave up control) and last year (though the same, really he was the main guy in Houston). I don't know if I buy it changing magically.

And I just love the way Philly's roster has been changed, literally just getting rid of Horford felt like a massive win.

Return to Player Comparisons